Start by marking “Mountain” as Want to Read:

Mountain

Some people enjoy mountain-climbing as a hobby, while others hate it. What if mountain-climbing had become something necessary for survival? A group of pitiful aliens are forced to exist within a small spherical space, surrounded by layer upon layer of rock. They have named this space the "Bubble World," and their lifelong ambition is to find out what might exist beyond ...more
Kindle Edition, First, 47 pages
Published April 16th 2012 by Beijing Guomi Digital Technology Co., Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain

Start your review of Mountain
Lyn
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an innovative, yet throwback sci-fi gem.

Chinese author Liu Cixin wrote his short-story "Mountain" and this was translated into English and published in 2012.

The setting is aboard a Chinese vessel at sea where tragic hero Fan, a former Himalayan mountain climber, and the captain are discussing his earlier ignominy when the captain, keeping his celestial navigation skills, notices a strange star growing in size.

From here Liu takes us on a very unique hard science, physics heavy, but also
Bradley
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short story is a real treat for those of us who have a long love-story relationship with strange cosmoses, different laws of the universe, unified with unique aliens beginning to understand the nature of their universe.

Of course, all of these scientific discoveries share a superficial similarity to our own, but when we get right down to the nuts and bolts... it's mind-blowing. :)

A bubble world. A Tower of Babel-like mountain of water.

The need to explore... explore... explore. :)

Just...
Efka
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A very unexpected (and very different from Taking Care of Gods) take on a first-contact in this short story is both equally wonderful and though-provoking. Theoretically, one could claim that Liu Cixin here goes on a path Jules Verne went in his Journey to the Center of the Earth , but despite that, Verne never had any similar thoughts about an inverse civilization and it's progress and how simple, even trivial things and happenings for us might seem extremely different for other life forms and ...more
David Expósito
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Un relato que va más allá de la ciencia ficción para colarse en una de las verdades universales de la naturaleza de todas las criaturas vivas, el deseo de conocer, de llegar más allá, de escalar montañas.

Un relato genial que recorre la evolución de una raza alienígena completamente diferente a la humana a través de su historia, que nos abre la mente y nos planta la duda de nuestra posición como raza en el vasto universo; y todo esto en unas escasas 50 páginas.

Recomendado 100%. Gracias a Odo
Olethros
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
-Otro despliegue de imaginación.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. Feng Fang lleva cinco años trabajando en el Bluewater, un buque oceanográfico de investigación geológica que navega por el mundo, y en todo ese tiempo no ha bajado ni una vez a tierra sin importar el tiempo que haya estado atracado el barco. En el pasado estuvo envuelto en un accidente de escalada con resultados trágicos y como castigo terrible autoimpuesto se mantiene lejos de lo que más ama: las montañas. Pero la llegada a la
Odo
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Over the weekend I had the chance of finishing reading Mountain and I can only say that my mind was blown away. This is one of the best novellas I've read in a long time.

As in "Taking Care of God" the plot revolves around the first contact of humankind with an alien race. However, in Mountain the focus is on the mystery surrounding the aliens and the history of their civilization. In less than 50 pages, the author manages to develop a complete (and amazing) cosmology and introduces more ideas
Carlos
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Un cuento CiFi de corte clásico y gran encanto. La civilización subterránea es realmente alienígena en concepto, cultura y percepción. Condicionando a los alienígenas por una física poco habitual pero verosímil (para los que estamos mal acostumbrados a la gravedad), Liu crea toda una cosmogonía extraterrestre, con sus propios retos intelectuales y límites de conocimiento. Acompañan unas imágenes espectaculares, para las que Liu tiene una destacada habilidad.

Muy recomendable. ¡Y breve! ¡Ah, la
Edward Rathke
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
More like a thought experiment than an actual story, and the entire story is just a setup for a long discussion about the history of an alien species.

But it's still fascinating.

A man climbs a mountain made of water to meet extraterrestrials. These aliens come from a solid universe and describe how they discovered liquid and then gas and how they dealt with these new properties.

It's a great novella, but not as good as The Wandering Earth or his novel, but this is a nice, optimistic story.
Juan
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-english-pila
Si la primera novella que leí de Liu Cixin, The Wandering Earth, me dejó impresionado, este cuento me ha provocado una sensación aun mejor. Aparte de la enorme dosis de imaginación y fascinantes imágenes que se muestran en tan pocas páginas, es de destacar la sensación que le deja a uno cuando termina de leerlo. Es en ese momento en el que te das cuenta de lo insignificantes que somos, del estéril egocentrismo de nuestra especie, y de que no nos vendría mal que, de vez en cuando, nos visitase ...more
Jm_oriol
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Una muy buena historia, que en pocas páginas crea una nueva forma de vida y su cosmología propia.

Me ha recordado a Huevo de Dragon, de Forward, en el sentido, de que observas el desarrollo de toda una especie.
Anabelee
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

As a reader in a language that it's not mine, I select the books I read carefully. This one was recommended to me, and the argument attracted me a lot, as to buy it without hesitation.
It's fresh, it's original, and it made me felt the anticipation of the first science fiction novels I've read in my youth. I loved the central idea of the novel, the challenge of climbing and what it means to people. I loved the explanations that the aliens tell Fen, and felt very comfortable with them, not lost at
Michele
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Would you like a little confucianism mixed in with your scifi?
feux d'artifice
Someone make this into a movie thank you.
J.L. Dobias
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelf-003
Mountain by Liu Cixin

Mountain is an interesting novella. I'm not all that fond of novella's, partially because it's difficult to know what to expect. Short stories have to move quickly to fill the reader in or not depending on the way the plot wants to go. Novella's have some time to build things but not really enough for the author to dawdle with.

I think that Liu shows quite a balance in this story. Mountain seems to be a story of a mans ambitions, exemplified by an analogue about a strange
Bimugdha Sarker
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
By cixin lu

বাবারে বাবা!

এইটা কি লেখা পডলাম! একেবারে বেসিক সাযেনস দিযে বানানো লেখা! from scratch বলে একটা কথা আছে এর মানে কোনো কাজ একেবারে গোডা থেকে শুরু করা একেবারে সাধারন পলট দিযে, না সাধারন বললে ভুল হবে; একেবারে অতি পরিচিত কনসেপটকে এমনভাবে উপসথাপন করা, যাতে সবকিছুই নতুন মনে হয--এই গলপটা তার একেবারে উৎকৃষট একটা উদাহরন। আর পৃথিবী নিরমান বা world building এর বাহবা না দিযে পারছিনা

সারসংকষেপ বলা যায --

এক এলিযেন সপেসশীপ আমাদের বাযুমনডলে পরবেশ করেছে। গরাভিটির ফলে ও শিপের মযাস বা ভর বেশি থাকায
Dex
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Odlična novela koja nam opisuje kako ono što mislimo da smo završili ustvari nismo ni počeli a popevši se na jednu planinu otkrivamo kako ustvari stojimo u podnožju druge još veće planine sa novim izazovom i makar smo pred odustajanjem nešto unutar nas nas goni na penjanje i na tu planinu makar znamo kako će na vrhu biti samo nova planina ......
Nazmus Sadat
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another amazing book from Liu Cixin! I also appreciate the translator Holger Nahm- I never felt that I’m reading a translated book.

Similar to other books of Cixin, this one also has a very unique plot. Truly novel ideas are hard to find in the science fiction genre and that’s why Cixin’s books are so refreshing.
Ian
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haven't been disappointed with a story of his, yet.
Angelica
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I think I preferred the framing story to the information dump given by the alien sphere.
Asier Murciego
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
La historia del "mundo sólido" me ha fascinado, y hasta aquí puedo leer...
Holden Richards
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
One man's redemption is another's alien. Imaginative writing as always.
Tao Huang
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
为什么要爬山呢?
因为山就在那里。
Marco
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Liu Cixin excels in hard science-fiction stories, and this is a good example of this fact. In this story, a marine geologist with a troubled past is destined to have the first encounter with an alien civilization. The plot is interesting, but it is not the plot that makes Mountain remarkable: its simple, non fictional, hard science, adroitly leverages to create awe and wonders. Physics is really differently when you are no longer on your normal every day Earth surface setting.
In this respect,
Pedro
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gran relato, 47 páginas de buenas ideas, solo un par de citas:

Gagarin lifted his head and then and there he finally embraced the reward of 100.000 years of our civilization's exploration: He saw the magnificent, sparkling wonder of the starlit sky.

Y Gagarin no es el ruso, es un alien que acaba de salir a la superficie del planeta en cuyo núcleo se ha desarrollado toda su civilización.

You are standing at the foot of the mountain. We are akk akways at the foot. The speed if light is the foot of a
Marijn
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I came across an item on slashdot about the "most famous Chinese scifi writer" when I realised I never read any book written by Asian writers... In a never ending quest for trying new things I picked up a copy of this short story as to sample what Cixin had to offer. He did not disappoint!

It's a story about how our viewpoints on the workings of this world are hard-fought and not at all obvious. Something we forget all to often. I haven't really read to much material that can be related to this.
Madhavi Ghare
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imagine if you will, that there are life forms that live at the core of a planet - and then visualize their amazing journey towards the surface of the planet!
Juxtaposed against the struggles of these life forms for millennia, we are faced with Feng Fan, a mountaineer who punishes himself for his passion for climbing mountains.
And when these life forms meet Feng, it is only because he decided that he had to climb a particular mountain, simply because it was his last one, even if it was made up of
Ryan Yan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a reboot of an early short teenager-SF by himself (in which there's just a person climbing a "mountain"), Cixin has added a hell novel idea as well as some comprehensive background of the protagonist.
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
2.5
Not my favorite Liu Cixin so far. Creative & science heavy, as always, but felt very much like it focused on the unimportant in the face of other, wider-scale, more important things. It did eventually culminate in an interesting epiphany for the MC though.
Ng Chin Leng
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think the book is a metaphoric story about life, struggle and ambition. After finishing the book, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
Lynn
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very interesting look at how easy it is to come to wrong conclusions--even when you have solid facts in front of you.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • The Shining Pyramid
  • The Body Library (John Nyquist, #2)
  • The White People
  • Am Abgrund der Unendlichkeit
  • Maelstrom (Rifters, #2)
  • Scheherazade
  • Starfish (Rifters, #1)
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Aliens: The Female War
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • Aliens: Nightmare Asylum
  • The Great God Pan
  • Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration
  • Exhalation: Stories
  • Stalin: The Kremlin Mountaineer (Icons)
  • The Redemption of Time
  • The Misogynist
Science Fiction fan and writer.

Liu Cixin also appears as Cixin Liu
“Indeed, it is the nature of intelligent life to climb mountains. They all want to stand on ever higher ground to gaze ever farther into the distance. It is a drive completely divorced from the demands of survival.” 0 likes
“The reason evolution bestows all intelligent life with a desire to climb higher is far more profound than more base needs, even though we still do not understand its real purpose. Mountains are universal and we are all standing at the feet of mountains.” 0 likes