Start by marking “Sable Island: The Wandering Sandbar” as Want to Read:
Sable Island: The Wandering Sandbar

Sable Island: The Wandering Sandbar

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Though it was discovered almost five hundred years ago, few people have visited Sable Island. Full of photographs and sidebars, Sable Island: The Wandering Sandbar is an accessible and exciting look at this protected, untamed ecosystem.
Published March 1st 2012 by Nimbus

To ask other readers questions about Sable Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sable Island

Emily
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was good. It was cool to learn about an island I never knew existed. The pictures were a little bit gross. It showed a picture of a dead horse, bird, and seal. It was interesting to learn about the wildlife that lived on the island. Some day I would like to visit there.
Dawn
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful photos fill the pages of this fascinating book. It covers the history and natural ecosystem of Sable Island in simple language that children should easily understand. Filled with fun and fascinating facts that will appeal to young and old alike the book covers not only the interesting shifting sands and famous horses, but shipwrecks, pirates and pollution.

Maps, a glossary and a page about how to start a letter campaign make this a very user friendly book as an educational tool.

This
Mallory
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kitts provides a good overview of the history, current inhabitants, vegetation, and current status of Sable Island. For someone like me who has never heard of Sable Island, it was a pretty interesting and informative read! In the middle of the Atlantic ocean, and formally apart of Nova Scotia, Sable Island is the home to 200-400 wild horses, tens of thousands of seals, as well as migratory birds that are only found on the Island. It is Canada’s newest national park, however because the ecosystem ...more
Leslie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sable Island's strange and natural beauty, animal inhabitants (focus on the wild horses), intriguing past, present and uncertain future are discovered by readers. Photographs and sidebars add background and details to the text.

This well researched and well organized book provides readers with a comprehensive easy to read source of information on one of Canada's fascinating locations. Readers may want to accept the hardships and travel to Sable Island after reading this book.

Recommended: 8-12 ye
Lucas
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think sable island would be a cool place to go as long as you know how to deal with quicksand, seals and sharks,but as I said it would be cool to go there because of the wild horses, singing sand(as long as its not quicksand) and my favorite wandering dunes, sand dunes that move even faster than the island. Becuase it moves too.
Danielleacorn
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
When i got this book from the library I thought it would be a little more about the horses.But when i started reading it,it was only abought the island.It was cool reading abought the island but the info would only help you if you were to acually go to Sable Island.Other wise it`s no help at all.The pictures are really pretty thought. ...more
Dario 76
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
i really liked this book. It was good because it told alot about sable island. It showed how it formed, how it became sable island. it was very good. I liked the fact about what the people use with horse skin. I really liked this book.

Zack Blaze
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
i liked this book becuase it has alot of cool information like how the horses got there and how you can only have a sertant amount of people on the island and they only bring food suppies every like year or half a year
William
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The only reason I didn't like theis book was because I'm not really interested in the the topic of an island. If it wasn't for that I would have given it a higher rating because it switchs bewtween different things to sat quickly and plus the book is pretty short.
Sydneyreader
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: silver-birch
Sable Island is an okay book but not my favourite because there is this really gross picture of a dead seal missing it's head.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to the physical geography, science, history, and lore of this unique part of the world. Attractively designed and abundantly illustrated with color photographs.
Logan D
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't really like the book. i didn't like it very good because i didn't find it interesting. it was fine at the beginning then it kinda got boring at the end and a pain to read every day.
Emma Fackenthall