Start by marking “Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales ” as Want to Read:
Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales

Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales (Flashy Fiction #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
An anthology of the strange, bizarre, and just plain weird.

Zombies, vampires, ghosts, and ...crickets? Try a taste of writing from two very different fantasy authors. Flash stories are super short and perfect for when you 'just have a minute'. This anthology contains 15 stories from authors Sean Hayden and Jen Wylie. Run the rampart of emotions in this exciting mix of tale
Published March 29th 2012 by Untold Press

To ask other readers questions about Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales

Alex Laybourne
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a really wonderful collection of short tales. It was a pleasure to read and refreshing. From humor to self reflection, zombies to Canadians... yes you read that right, this collection of short stories is a perfect balance of everything.

It is the perfect short read for an afternoon relaxing in the garden or lounging on the sofa on a rainy day.
I hope that there will be another of of these collections produced because I for one would love to read more.
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
I enjoyed this fifteen-story collection of tales by authors Sean Hayden and Jen Wylie. So much so that I completed it in one sitting. Initially, I was tempted to compare the authors’ writing styles but quickly discarded that notion and let each story speak for itself.

When reviewing anthologies, I like to give each story its own rating with a rating of five stars being ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, 3 stars being Meh, It Was Okay and 1 star being Could Have Went Without Reading. My ratings for the stories
Buffy Kennedy
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was actually a really neat book. Both authors are very talented writers and they even put a little note at the end of each story letting the reader know what the inspiration was and that is such a cool little detail that I absolutely loved. This didn’t feel like a book that was written because the authors needed to write, but because they wanted to give something to readers.

That being said, I’ll touch on the actual stories, and I’ll start with Sean Hayden’s. Some of his contributions were
Eva
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My complete review can be found on my blog.
Sandra "Jeanz"
MY REVIEW
I received an e-copy of this Anthology from the publisher’s Untold Press in exchange for my honest review.
So the cover is a close up of part of a face, with your eye being drawn to the eye pictured on the cover. The eye has a sinister quality to it, and the face is a grey/green colour so it blends more into the background.
Now to the Anthology, this book is a collection of 15 very short tales, some of them seem like they could be the Authors ideas for future full length books or book ser
Claire Taylor
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flashy Fiction and Other Insane Tales
Jen Wylie & Sean Hayden

An anthology of the strange, bizarre, and just plain weird.

With 15 short stories, there’s bound to be something you enjoy. I love the idea of flash fiction, gives an insight into how twisted the author is with where the stories go. I enjoyed all the stories to some degree (my sense of humour is quite twisted itself) but the ones that stand out at were “Zombies at the Meat Market” and “Forgettable the Beginning”, but I’m also intrig
Scott
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection of flash fiction from Jen Wylie and Sean Hayden. It was an interesting juxtaposition of styles. Wylie's style is almost ethereal; descriptive and beautiful. Hayden's style is in-your-face, always humorous and 'cool', and often with a dash of cynicism. Sort of like being tickled with a feather, then being smacked with a hammer. It kept things moving for me. Not too much of any one good thing.

Not every story is perfect, but all of them are enjoyable and some of them made
Rachel Brune
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, fun read. There is an eclectic mix of flash fiction contained here - some with twists a la O'Henry, others with interesting settings and "what if" concepts. I would definitely recommend this to someone who is either looking for a collection to dip into during stolen moments, or looking for a collection that highlights some of the potential of the flash fiction medium.
Monika
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I think the cover is amazing and I would buy the book just for the cover. But it sends wrong massage: I was expecting really scary stories, something I would be afraid to fall asleep after, but what I got were a little bit creepy and a little bit insane stories. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed reading the book and I wouldn't mind if it was longer. Therefore I give it 4.
Jack
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of really short stories. Mostly horror. I liked it! Quick and creepy. Good read!
Patty
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the cover and sounds great cant wait to read it...
Marcus
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review

These are very short stories based on topics that we have read about before. The difference with these stories are they are written very very differently with different endings and situations. They are somewhat funny, thought provoking, and interesting. A very very good read
Sheila Lowe
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Several short stories
Buffy Kennedy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was actually a really neat book. Both authors are very talented writers and they even put a little note at the end of each story letting the reader know what the inspiration was and that is such a cool little detail that I absolutely loved. This didn 19t feel like a book that was written because the authors needed to write, but because they wanted to give something to readers.

That being said, I 19ll touch on the actual stories, and I 19ll start with Sean Hayden 19s. Some of his contributio
Lauren
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-beauties
I was gifted a signed copy of this book by one of the authors. Great collection of short stories split by author. They are about 2-3 pages each and are quite the teasers. They covered a wide variety of topics in this collection. Great read.
Anne (w/ an E)
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I wasn't impressed by the short stories in this book but they weren't ALL bad.
Dawn
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Got through 3 stories and one paragraph before I quit...the first one was well written and had an ok story but they just went down hill from there
Kat
May 25, 2017
Sheera
May 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I started and never finished it ... and I have determined that I'll never finish it.
Gracie_musica
Aug 25, 2017
Amber
Oct 29, 2012
Elizabeth
rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2015
  • Haunted: Ten Tales of Ghosts
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Becoming Jolie
  • Indie Chicks: 25 Women 25 Stories
  • Tales Of Folk And Fairies (Illustrated Edition)
  • Four Corners Dark
  • My Soul to Keep (Rise of the Fallen, #1)
  • First Promise (Blood Run Trilogy #1)
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Prince Prelude (Legend, #0.75)
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Aliens Are Real, Part 1 (Energy, #1)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology: Volume 2
Jen Wylie was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. In a cosmic twist of fate she dislikes the snow and cold.

Before settling down to raise a family, she attained a BA from Queens University and worked in retail and sales.

Thanks to her mother she acquired a love of books at an early age and began writing in public school. She constantly has stories floating around in her head, and finds it amazing mo
More about Jen Wylie...