Start by marking “Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure (Summersby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure (Summersby, #1)

Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure

(Summersby #1)

It's going to be a wild ride…

Lady Alexandra Summersby is not your average society miss. Not only is she more likely to climb a tree than she is to wear a dress, but she has also sworn off marriage. Alex loves taking chances, which is how she finds herself embroiled in a secret mission as she races across the country with the Earl of Trenton. But Alexandra is about to disco
Published May 22nd 2012 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure

Kelly_Instalove
Plot summary: TSTL hoyden teams up with worst spy ever to rescue brother who may be a traitor.

Review summary: A spectacularly unsuccessful mashup of Julia Quinn and Joanna Bourne.

Read the full review

This book is a sad example of everything that could be wrong with a Regency romance.

It's not a Regency. It's not British. It's not a romance. It's modern American characters in a bad screwball comedy, with a lot of cheesy melodrama thrown in.

We also get cliche-filled writing (shots rang out!!!), bad
Lexie
Yes part of the reason I wanted to read this book was because the heroine's name is Alexandra. I don't find that many in genres I like so I tend to leap on them. It helps that this is a historical romance and I have read Sophie Barnes before (Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back).

This was disappointing on a lot of levels. Here's what I liked though: the heroine and hero had a bantering relationship that had me cracking up, her brothers Ryan and William were just as insane as she was, Michael (As
Dottie
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
An entertaining tale! Taken from review at RomanceJunkies.com:

Michael Ashford, Earl of Trenton, works for the Foreign Office and has been sent on a dangerous assignment. He is to bring back William, a fellow spy suspected of treason, to stand trial. His commander, Percy, is doubtful that William is guilty, since he has been regarded as quite the hero up until now, but he has no choice in the matter. In the presence of Percy, Michael met with William’s father, who, worried for the safety of his s
Kimberly
Last week I happened to come across a review for another book by Sophie Barnes that really made me want to check out her books. I hadn't picked up an Avon historical romance in years before the other day when I borrowed it through my library's e-book selection and from the first page I was hooked. I started it one day and by the next I was done, I enjoyed it that much.

Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure was just that. I thought it was a refreshing historical romance with a tom boy heroine with
Melissa
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-books
I really ought to give up trying to find other Regency Romances that will measure up to Georgette Heyer's, which I tend to hold as the standard for the genre. These days, I know not to expect that they will be the clean reads that Heyer's books were, but I always hold out hope that they will have the detail, plot, and wit that make Heyer's stories stand out. Sadly for me, Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure falls short both as a work of Historical Fiction and a Romance.

The storyline and the eve
Rachel Dyken
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Miss Barnes, where do I even start? I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I assumed it would be the typical regency romance where girl seeking adventure falls for dangerous rake and they live happily ever after, BUT WAIT! Someone is trying to kill them...But never fear, he can shoot and wield a sword better than an entire army. He rescues his beauty, she saves his heart from the coldness of meaningless sex and, boom. We have our story.

I was sooooooo wrong! First off, Alex, i
Melanie
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the first book of The Summersby's series and I already have the second `There's Something About Lady Mary' on my Kindle.

As a reviewer, once I'm done reading the book, I do one of two things: if I loved the book, I write my review right away, and if I didn't care for it, I take my sweet time and debate the matter trying to figure out the reasons behind my dislike of it. The longer I debate, the more I dread writing a review because I am at that point finding too many things I don't like.
Sue
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75, I thought the plot was inventive and at times exciting. 1815 and a woman disguised as a man sets out to rescue her brother who has been wrong accused of being a double agent.

Accompanied by her other brother and an agent of the crown they set off, once safely in Paris she sheds her disguise. Michael the agent is at first taken aback and then taken off guard as to how attracted he is to her.

Initially the story and plot squandered a few moments that would have made for great laughs, but the
Drianne
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, historical
Okay historical romance (het). Our heroine is ridiculously not-period, being the best swordsperson in England and a spy and blah blah blah. Her perfection merely wearied after a certain point (especially as she wasn't all that perfect) and the anachronisms grated more and more as the book went on. Luckily for her, the hero was much less stupid than she and was still willing to marry her when she'd done foolish things like try to get him to have sex with her when they weren't even engaged.

Many e
Marlene
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Sophie Barnes specializes in creating Regency heroines who seem improbably larger-than-life, and then making their square-peg-in-the-round-hole characters seem, not just reasonable for their particular circumstances, but absolutely the right woman for whatever normally staid and conventional male starts out attempting to shave off the edges of their unique charms.

Take Lady Alexandra Summersby for example. Every male in her entire family seems to work for th
Lisa
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Michael Ashford, Earl of Trenton, has no clue how fast his life is going to be turned upside down when he has to go retrieve a possible traitor, William. As Michael has never met William before in his duties with the Foreign Office, he agrees that William's 'brothers' should accompany him to correctly identify William. Michael believes these two brothers will just be in his way and really pays them little mind. He does find it odd that Alex needs to constantly wear a scarf to cover a disfigureme ...more
Donna
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Barnes has done it again. She gave us another wonderful book to read. It was hard for me to put down for any length of time.

This is the first book in the Summersby series. Lady Alexandra "Alex" Summersby is not your average upscale society young woman. She would rather climb a tree, have sword fighting matches with her brothers than go to balls. And, for the most part, she has sworn off marriage. Her mother died when she was younger and her brothers were off to school leaving her to deal
Pamela
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rated 5 Blue Ribbons and RR for Recommended Read
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies:

It is believed that Alex's brother, William, has been trading information to both sides, labeling him a traitor to his country. Neither Alex, nor her family, think that the information received is true and are willing to do whatever it takes to prove his innocence. Their mission is to locate William and that is how Alex finds herself disguised as a man and accompanying her brother, Ryan, and another member of the
Rebecca Graf
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adventure. Romance. Intrigue. And stubborn heroines and their men. I love these kind of stories on a rainy day. Sophia Barnes did not disappointment in her book, Lady Alexandra’s Excellent Adventure.

Napoleon is back from Elba and relations between France and the rest of Europe is tenuous. England does not hesitate to send in spies. But what happens when a report comes that one of them is a double agent? You send in another agent with the brothers of the suspect to bring him back. Sounds like a p
Richelle Goodrich
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book on a goodreads giveaway, a delightful surprise to be sure! The story description appealed to me - a lady of the 1800's, high-society and beautiful, yet more interested and capable in activities typically accomplished by men. Dueling? Questing after rescue missions? Strutting about in breeches, and in public? How awfully unladylike! Yet, Alexandra proves herself unargualby one of the best in the field. Then, on assignement, she meets her match, a male companion named Michael Asfor ...more
Tarra
Dec 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
I tried.

Maybe it's me and not you.

I read to about the 30% mark and was bored. Skimmed through some chapters, then Read the epilogue and that still wasn't enough to convince me to read the rest. The blurb made it sound so promising!

There's just so much to this book where nothing is happening. These people are supposed to be in France looking for Alexandra's brother and all the scenes are talking scenes inside the house. They've been there a week! What are they doing? They are the worst spies loo
Maya
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved Alex and her adventurous spirit. She is the perfect heroine for a historical romance. And she was a better spy than her brothers and Michael.
Michael was also a great hero, understanding of Alex's needs. He gave her the space she needed to realize she loved him in her own time.

The scene in the boat where Micheal asked Alex - when she was dressed as a man - if she likes men because he likes women was so funny.

The only reason I gave this book a 4 stars instead of 5 was because of its epilog
Madbethcash
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I really liked the sound of this book - a swashbuckling maiden and her reluctance to fall in love. Plus, it sounded like there might be some cool intrigue going on. but, alas, Alex as a character was horribly annoying and naive and innocent and just generally childish. Michael was ok but also a little too overbearing. Ryan talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk when it came to feminism. there was a lot of potential here with the theories of the characters but I found after a quarter of the w ...more
Diah Didi
I actually liked the beginning... somehow there were parts that reminded me to one of Korean drama series Coffee Prince, especially when Michael tried to convince himself that he indeed likes women when he felt something toward Alex, who's by that time he thought to be a man. I couldn't help myself smiling/grinning.
But then Alex started to show that she's such a reckless-bull-headed person. I just thought Michael and her brothers were being too nice to her. :p
If only Alex and Michael did it afte
Wendy Tavenner
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the author and the story. Annalise marries a Duke and on her wedding night he tries to kill her (which he thought he did) and throws her over board into the river. Owen not long back from war, finds her. With the help of gypsies brings her back to health. So much happens btwn the two including her wanting to protect him against her murdering husband!!! You have mystery, intrigue, and live!!! A wonderful story and can't wait for Eleanor's!!!!
Jane Atchley
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here's an unusual Regency romp featuring a truly unique heroine. I really liked its fast, action-packed pace. A couple of long drawn-out skim-worthy love scenes dragged it down a bit in my opinion, though I'll admit some readers will find them titillating. Michael's dialogue came across too sugary-sweet for my taste. I can't believe any man, in any age, would ever spout such flowery words. I don't care how much he loved the woman. But Overall, I found it a most excellent read.
hannah
Oct 09, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
what a promising premise that was entirely ruined by how rushed everything felt. i got to the 8th chapter and was so entirely confused as to why the main ship was progressing so quickly when we barely know who they are as individuals let alone why they're so suddenly attracted to each other.
The Buk Wyrm
Oct 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was pretty terrible. The characters were overwrought, shallow, and their reactions to events and each other unbelievably unbelievable. I felt no connection to anyone, and couldn't have cared less if or how the main characters were going to get to their HEA.

It was like reading a romance novel from 20 years ago. Painful.
Melanie
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3m-cloud-library
Okay, so I know it's fiction, but if you're going to write a Regency era romance, then at least try to make it believable. 3 people travel to Napoleonic Paris on a rescue mission, then spend a week holed up in a luxury apartment not even trying to find their target? Really? And the heroine is some kind of incredible fencer? Just not plausible.
LemontreeLime
You know, I accept A LOT of unreality in regency romance, but if these characters were actual spies during the Napoleonic wars - they would all have been dead within a day of landing in France. I just could not finish it.
Stella
I'm still trying to decide how to rate this book. I LOVED the first half but after the duel it just went south for me. I didn't like how Alex changed and lost her sparkle, impetuousness. Deliberating...

A very fluent story, gobbled it up in one day.
(Nat) Reading Romances
A surprising and touching story! It lives up to it's blurb and more!

Read my full review here: http://wp.me/p27N1w-1gh
*I awarded this book with The Page Turner award!*
Ama
2.75 stars. Enjoyable enough quick read.
Lilly Ridge
Oct 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I will read anything when I am sick but that doesn't mean I will like it.
Y
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hm, kinda like "The Switch."
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 06:46AM

• Starlight (The Christies, #2)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #2)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • His Marriage to Remember (The Good, the Bad and the Texan, #1)
  • Waking Up in the Wrong Bed
  • Pure Temptation
  • Return of the Moralis Wife
  • The Dark Earl
  • Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal, #1)
  • The Second Seduction of a Lady (The Wild Quartet, #0.5)
  • Desire Never Dies (Lady Spies, #2)
  • The Lass Wore Black (Scottish Sisters #2)
  • The Trouble with Valentine's
  • Persistence of Vision (Interchron #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half (Beau Monde, #2)
USA Today Bestselling Author

Born in Denmark, Sophie has spent her youth traveling with her parents to wonderful places all around the world. She’s lived in five different countries, on three different continents, and speaks Danish, English, French, Spanish and Romanian.

She has studied design in Paris and New York and has a bachelor’s degree from Parson’s School of design, but most impressive of al

Summersby (3 books)
  • There's Something About Lady Mary (Summersby, #2)
  • The Secret Life of Lady Lucinda (Summersby, #3)
“Never in a million years would he have imagined her to look at him like that - eyelids batting of their own volition and her lips puckering in expectation as she leaned slightly forward. Yet here she was doing precisely that - it was much too comical to stop the smile crossing his face.
And that was when she hit him.
It wasn't a faint slap on the cheek. No, Alexandra put all her weight behind the right hook that landed squarely across his jaw, throwing him completely off balance.
Damnation!”