Start by marking “Throttle” as Want to Read:
Throttle

Throttle

Inspired by Richard Matheson's classic "Duel," "Throttle," by Joe Hill and Stephen King, is a duel of a different kind, pitting a faceless trucker against a tribe of motorcycle outlaws in the simmering Nevada desert. Their battle is fought out on twenty miles of the most lonely road in the country, a place where the only thing worse than not knowing what you're up against, ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published February 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Throttle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throttle

Carol
3.5 Stars

Took me a while to get revved-up, but when the souped-up Semi Trucker began barreling down on the biker dudes, THROTTLE turned into one hell of an explosive horror novella.

A lot of "bang" for your buck!

Dan Schwent
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, lendable
A trucker chases a biker gang across the Nevada desert. Carnage ensues.

Stephen King and Joe Hill team up for this tale which originally appeared in a Richard Matheson tribute anthology. Fittingly enough, it prominently features a father and son in a biker gang called The Tribe.

Fresh from a meth deal gone wrong, The Tribe speeds across the desert, looking for a way to get back its $60,000. For some reason, a trucker wants them dead.

That's pretty much all I can tell without just spoiling the entir
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

If you’re a “Constant Reader” you should already be well aware of the fact that Stephen King knows how to do a story about a semi . . .

Commercial Photography
(and a vending machine – Ha! That scene still cracks me up)

What happens when you add a little Joe Hill to the mix? You get a motorcycle gang too . . .

Commercial Photography

It seems the Sons of Anarcy Tribe has found themselves in a bit of trouble and it just keeps escalating. After a failed attempt at creating a meth emp
Debra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The blurb says this was inspired by Richard Matheson's Duel but has a Sons of Anarchy vibe to it as well. A trucker is chasing down a tribe of motorcyclists on a Nevada freeway. This father/son writing dual feature a father/son in this short story. Over a stretch of 20 long and lonely miles, a trucker is hell bent on their destruction. Why? Be careful what you talk about in public!
Peter (Peer105)
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
In terms of quality, this novella should be a 4 star read, easy. Add to that my overall njoyment reading it and it’s only a 3 star read... maybe even a 2,5, I don't even know.

Now, I’ve never been a fan of certain type of stories. Gangster stuff comes to mind, but also the bikegang stuff like Sons of Anarchy. It just isn’t for me. And this story is just that. So my enjoyment of it was pretty minimal.

Yet, for such a short work of fiction, it did a lot of things right.

Stephen King and Joe Hill’s vo
Cyndi
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who enjoys a well constructed story
I may be totally biased by my love of both of these authors, however this novella was most delicious!

A collaborative homage to Richard Matheson's Duel, which was the inspiration for Spielberg's first film.

I found the fact that a father/son team produced a tale of another father/son team very serendipitous. In this tale the filial paradigm is fraught with violence, suspense and choices with far reaching results.

Again my 5 star rating may be rooted in bias, but somehow I cannot allow myself to bel
Marvin
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm really not sure why any author, not to mention two, would write a re-make of Richard Matheson's great story, "Duel" but that is basically what "Throttle" is. Fortunately there are enough differences to make this copy tribute exciting. The alert reader can also catch some nice inferences to the B movie genius Roger Corman. This first time collaboration between father and son is a well done piece of suspense fiction on its own and well worth the small change you would pay for this "Kindle Sing ...more
Elspeth
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's the stories that could really happen that I have always found the more frightening. Once while babysitting we watched the movie Lord of the Flies. I don't know what the mother was thinking renting that for her small children, all I know is it freaked me the fuck out.
I told myself if they tried to make me read it in High School I would refuse and take the F, that is how much I was creeped by it.

This story could happen, but it does not creep me out, it makes me sad. I know a lot of Veterans f
Sumit RK
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Stephen King & Joe Hill co-author this short story inspired by Richard Matheson's "Duel". A biker gang and a trucker involved in a deadly chase across the Nevada desert. The story starts off slow but the chase keeps you hooked. There are no clear heroes or villains in this story, it's all shades of grey.
Overall, a quick read with a satisfying ending.
Edward Lorn
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one started out lackluster as hell. I couldn't get into it until about the 35% mark. I didn't care for the characters at all, which is odd considering that's normally King and Hill's strong points. Also, I've read and seen so much media concerning meth-heads or meth-making bikers, the topic is almost a genre unto itself.

There is nothing new in this story, in fact, the story is a tribute to Richard Matheson's Duel. So why am I giving it four stars? Because this mo' frakker is brutal as H-E
Kathryn
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: King Fans
3.5 stars. I think Throttle was a little too...."guy-ish" for me. I think that is the word I am looking for. I have to say, the big "wow" was better to me than In the Tall Grass. I didn't see it coming in Throttle. If you like motorcycles, speed, adrenaline, this might be for you. Quick read, and for 99 cents, I can't complain too much. :)
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: king
For only being right around 50 pages long I thought King and Hill were able to develop a plot with back story, interesting characters and dialog, suspense and a fulfilling ending.
Definitely worth the .99 and the hour or so it took to read it.
HornFan2 (Mike)
Decent story involving the Tribe Motorcycle gang. They get burned on a methamphetamine deal, when the lab burns down, the gang kills their partner in it, and his 17 year old girlfriend.

The girl's father, over hears them at a rest stop, he'll end up mowing them down one at a time, the gang members race to stay ahead of him and argue whether to go to Las Vegas or try to track down via a sister some of the money they lost.

Both Stephen King and Joe Hill, like their writing style, do a decent job w
Mandy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Great horror short about a group of bikers and a trucker.
Chance and his Goosie Scale
This one has to be read after "Duel," and I do recommend it. It, however, was not as good as "Duel." I appreciate the story and the play off of Matheson, but it didn't have the same effect as the first go around. Leave it to King to take a good thing and unnecessarily drag it out. You won't find sympathy for the characters in this one either!

Goosie Scale Rating: 3/10
I think the intensity factor gives some stirrings, but nothing extreme. "Duel" had the connection to everyday life that this novel
Kelly Hager
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has been billed as being sort of their homage to Duel. It's about a motorcycle gang that manages to irritate a trucker. There's a lot more going on than this, of course, but that's the most basic and spoiler-free way to put it.

Somehow, this book was out for days---DAYS!---before I knew of its existence. And yes, it's a short story not a novel, but still. DAYS! If you know anything at all about me, you know that I love Stephen King. And you probably---hopefully---know that I love his son, Jo
Michelle
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Good short read. Reminded me a lot of the tv cable series Sons of Anarchy that Stephen King made a cameo in. Could just see him riding his red Harley next to his son. The story follows a motorcycle gang who upsets a trucker at a bar who then succeeds in diminishing the gangs numbers by running them off the road or just driving over them in his semi.
Alondra
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Nice and short. I didn't think the ending was great. There would be no way I would have stayed. Humpf.

This reminded me of Richard Mathesons Duel: Terror Stories; except we get a reason for the mayhem. Still, pretty darned cool.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king, short-stories
I enjoyed this short story even though it was not as fleshed out as I would normally like. I got a really heavy Sons of Anarchy vibe here, so I enjoyed that part of the story. And I liked having our hero be the older, father figure of the story. Overall an easy, fun read from the King men.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Hill & King wrote this as a homage to the fantastic Richard Matheson's "Duel." It took a little bit to get into, but once it picked up it was a fun ride!
Mike
Oct 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Third rate riff of Matheson/Spielberg awesome THE DUEL,with SONS OF ANARCHY style characters.Bad.
Ângela
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-dark

Sydney
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I get the feeling that Hill and King were sitting around drinking beers and watching marathon "Son's of Anarchy" when they wrote this story. It's awful.

EDIT: Just read it was inspired by Duel. my opinion still stands.

The biggest problem is it just doesn't make any sort of sense. I read a lot of King and Hill so I expect a story that I'll have to suspend my disbelief for sake of plot. I'm OK with evil paranormal clowns, time travel, demons, vampires and any number of outrageous elements if that
Taylor Hensel
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What would happen if two of the best television shows on cable right now (Sons of Anarchy & Breaking Bad) were put into a blender by two of the best writers working right now (Stephen King and his progeny, Joe Hill), one of whom then hit frappe? Well, ladies and gents, you would get "Throttle," a visceral homage to Richard Matheson's "Duel" that, by God, is almost as good as the iconic short story it's aping.

Plot is fairly basic: A close-knit motorcycle gang called the Tribe, led by a const
Albert
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Throttle is a novella you can get as a Kindle single, written by father and son duo; Stephen King and Joe Hill. They did it as a homage to the short story Duel by Richard Matheson. Duel was made into a movie in 1971 by a unknown director at the time named Stephen Spielberg. The concept was also done up in The Benediction, a short movie in a set of four for the theatre release named Nightmares.
So why do it up again? Because a good story needs repeating. And Throttle is a good addition to the ma
Kaethe Douglas
It's a tricky thing to write a story as homage to another without imitation or parody. It's trickier still to tell a story about a motorcycle gang of ill-adjusted, criminal men in a sympathetic way. Somehow, it works. And the tension is fantastic. Well done.
Jason P
Throttle was excellent! It reminded me of Joe Hill's comic Road Rage which was pretty much the same story, but with pictures to go along with it. Fun short story that everyone would like.
Alex Duncan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kind of random but a fun short story.
Mike Schneider
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short story, this is the tale of a motorcycle gang, but its real story is the maturation of the gang's leader, even at his advanced age. Lots of action and excitement along the way....
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
an interesting but conflicted tale that doesn't really break any new ground for terror or awfulness... maybe more of a character study than anything else... in that sense, done well enough, but from the expectation of horror and nastiness and scare effects it was a tad middling... never really got the "oh my god it's coming for us!" vibe, or the gorynastybloody killing vibe, or the strong humanity-at-its-worst vibe... might have benefited from double the page length... or a less scattershot plot ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Throttle by Joe Hill 2 17 Sep 21, 2015 12:06AM
Stephen King Fans: Throttle 2 25 Jan 09, 2013 03:02PM

• A Face in the Crowd
  • Road Rage
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • Dark Screams: Volume One
  • Baltimore, Vol. 4: Chapel of Bones
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Encounters
  • Killer Fashion: Poisonous Petticoats, Strangulating Scarves, and Other Deadly Garments Throughout History
  • Loss
  • The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three - Bitter Medicine
  • The Mole People Beneath the City
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in
“They had been Vince's brothers in a way, and Race was his son, and you couldn't drive a man's family to the earth and expect to live.” 1 likes