Start by marking “Rest For The Wicked (Claire Wiche Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Rest For The Wicked (Claire Wiche Chronicles #1)

Rest For The Wicked

(Claire Wiche Chronicles #1)

She's running from her past. And running out of time.

Claire Wiche is an ordinary woman, running her Wicca shop in an ordinary California beach town. But Claire wasn't always ordinary, and she isn't quite human. She hides a secret, and a past she thought she had put behind her.

A past that is about to explode into her present.

When it does, and everyone she loves is in
Published April 16th 2012 by Pentam Press

To ask other readers questions about Rest For The Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rest For The Wicked

Start your review of Rest For The Wicked (Claire Wiche Chronicles #1)
Darce
Ugh. These free books just aren’t working out for me. Thank god this story was short. I ended up DNF-ing the last chapter anyway.

So the only reason I lasted through the majority of this book is because I wanted to know who the killer was. Once I found that out then I was happy to DNF. I do not intend to continue the series. The characters were annoying, the storyline bores me and life’s just too short for bad books.
Becca-Rawr
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenge-14, ebook, magic
This is just going to be a rant about a lot of crap.

I got a Kindle for Christmas. I was excited. At first I anticpated only loading classics onto it, because I’m a classics gal, and prefer to buy physical copies of books if I’m going to pay for them. I don’t like forking over money and not having anything tangible. But then I discovered the glory that was free Kindle books. I delve in, downloaded, started reading… and haven’t found a good one yet.

Similar to this one…

We all have that friend who
Criss
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it

There are 7 reviews on this book. All of them just absolutely glowing. Which is why I downloaded it.

I found this book because it was part of a book cover contest and after reading the reviews found it intriguing. But......

I thought the story was just okay. I'm not sure what these other reviewers are used to reading but really I did not find this near as fascinating as they did. It would have been so much better if it had not been rushed. This could have been easily a 300 pg book with
Megan
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of action and it never left me bored. That said, I feel like so much happened that I missed out on my connection with the characters. The dialogue was great, and I loved the way the characters all fit together, but there could have been a little more time taken to enhance the relationship between them and the readers. I felt confused on what they were thinking. Half the time I really wasn't sure whether Marcus had real feelings for Claire or not.

Even with all this confusion,
L.E.Olteano
So, we're here with a fun read and a rant-tastic review. But I don't edit my opinions and thoughts on books, so settle in for the ride, lol.

The story starts out slowly, and while reading it I thought, ok, this must be the build-up? See, the issue with reading a lot of urban fantasy/paranormal is that you get used to a certain pace of events. I mean, I didn't much care for agitated plots when I started out the blog for instance, I was all for the quirky, out of the mold kind of reading. I still
Melinda
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rest for the Wicked
Claire Wiche Chronicles #1
Paranormal 13 … 4th book
Continuing through the Paranormal 13 book which includes 13 full-length paranormal stories by different authors; I have read and reviewed the first story, Darkangel from The Witches of Cleopatra Hill series by Christine Pope and am trying to read each story in the Paranormal 13 book. I liked the first book so much that I bought and read the next two books in the series immediately afterwards, before I continued on to the next
Sharon Tyler
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Rest For The Wicked is the first book in The Claire Wiche Chronicles by Cate Dean. This urban fantasy begins with Claire Wiche, an ordinary woman, running a Wicca shop in an ordinary California beach town. But Claire wasn't always ordinary, and she isn't quite human. She hides a secret, and a past she thought she had put behind her. Unfortunately the past and big secrets are hard to keep buried, especially when it puts the few people Claire has come to care for in danger. Claire needs to stand ...more
Emilee Powell
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot does not make up for the deficits in the writing of this book. The whole book was written like the author held their breath and scribbled it all down in one go. It would have perhaps been a wonderful book if she had used this as her first draft, and then taken time to flesh out her ideas, shore up the plot line, and generally form a cohesive and functional story. Instead she handed in her rough draft and called it complete. More aggravating is the author wrote a type of glossary at the ...more
Kat (Why Read)
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reader, arc
Ordinary is Not the word to describe this book! I absolutely enjoyed this tale about witches and other things that go bump in the night. The author did an excellent job of creating an air tight innocent alibi for the main character, Claire, only to take you on a journey of uncovering the dirty little secrets sweep under the rug. This book was a shocker. Here I was thinking it was going to be glitter and fairy dust; yet it turned out to be more of a soap opera, complete with drama, sexual ...more
April Thomas
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really did not care for this book. It is 135 pages and I should have read it in an evening. I had to force myself to finish it. I though it might get better. The characters have no depth to them. There is no background. How does Claire and Annie meet? Where does Marcus fit in? I realize that this book is a series and the author might give more info. on the characters later, but I would have rather had a longer book with more detail. I have no desire to read the other books in this series.
Alexandra
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook-books
I read some really bad reviews on this book after I got it free on my Nook. But it really wasn't as bad as I had expected. The story was interesting enough. There was action and romance and all that good stuff. I can't really complain about anything (I'm letting the few spelling/grammar errors slide). I found the story fairly entertaining.
Melinda Taylor
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who really knows the truths about the fallen? A good who, what, when, where, why and how to learn more about.

This was a good read. The characters were engaging. The storyline flowed smoothly, made me wonder about the “what if’s” which held my interest. Do they or can they live amongst us?
If this was a true story, these characters would be my kind of “others”. Who doesn’t need a little magic in their world? Enjoy
Carrie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok book

I thought I was gonna love this book and there were parts I did love but I just couldn’t wrap my head around the other parts. This story was definitely what I thought it would be and was a little disappointed as I realized that as the story went on. Not an overall bad book if you like possession, demons and monsters.
Leah Hudson
The major downfall of self published works is, in my mind, lack of access to skilled editors for continuity and pacing issues. This had good grammar but read like a fanfic, because there are four main characters that are shallow and uninteresting, and the pacing and foreshadowing had serious issues.
Emily Maynard
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Sandra
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, ebooks
It wasn’t bad, I just failed to connect with any of the characters, especially our main character Claire. Again she wasn’t unlikable or anything she just didn’t feel real. Annie (the BFF) was the most vibrant and likable character.
Jaye Sudar
Not bad

Some of these books start out with a good premises and then go down hill fast. This one while a little light on details was still a good book. God didn't break the clouds and save the world and the lead character. It ended well and makes you want to read the next one.
Marta Scheiner
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart wrenching

I really really got to love Claire a whole lot. I don’t want to give out any spoilers, but to share the goodness that lives in Claire and to say, this is a book that will make you want to read the series.
Jeanie's Kindle
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spinetingling

This was such a thrill! Witches, white witches, demons all in one novel. Seeking souls, saving souls,buying ranks in hades. Falling in love, getting revenge. Whew!
Abigail Kisner
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was very well written. The plot line was a nail biting roller coaster.
Bryan Zepp
I like books that use a bit of truth to create a fascinating new world. Though this takes place on our earth the story has elements of truth with fantasy.
Gypsy Madden
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a fun read, though nothing spectacular that makes me need to continue the series. The most enjoyable character in this book had to be Marcus the Jinn, who seemed attached to Claire, though nothing actually happened between them in terms of romance. He was just totally fascinating with the exotic sand and mysterious abilities, though nothing about him seemed to be concretely talked about. I will say I loved Marcus and Annie's short date and the fallout afterward. There were ...more
Cicero
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pain to read... just could not continue
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-like
Too fast and not enough information.
Shy The WidowMaker
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rest for the Wicked was a delightful read. Let me start off by saying the cover was breathtaking. I loved the picture of the woman who looked like she was up to some witchy things. It just seemed to fit so well with the story. It was a great tie into the story.

This book starts out action packed with us meeting Jack who we can tell is working for a dangerous person. We soon learn that the person Jack is after is Claire Wiche. Claire is an ordinary woman leading a normal life running her shop. We
Amy H
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I stumbled upon this book when i was trying to clean out my kindle. I have way to many books due to one click buying and thought i would give this book a shot. I think i got it when it was free on amazon. alright this book was not for me. It took me a lot longer to finish then normal. this is a short book like 150 pages, but to me i think it could have been better.

Annie
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Well my hats off to Cate Dean, you’re entitled to a large glass of grapes. This is a wonderful book, although it is more a short story. This is the only thing I didn’t like about the read. I wish the author would have been a little more detailed about some of the characters and why they were there in the first place. But, other than that this is a really good witchy book and things that go BOO!

I loved the Annie character and probably my favorite. Claire, she owns a Wicca shop in Santa Luna,
Samantha
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was so interesting and engaging, I was actually able to connect to these characters. I was so caught up in what was happening that I did not, could not, put it down. After the last two books, I was kind of scared to give this one a try but, I’m so glad I did, it was amazing.

The descriptions were not overwhelming, it was action-packed, it was focused, and had a fantastic cliff-hanger that left this reader begging for more.

Granted, it was a short story but, I feel that if it
Debra

Claire Wiche runs a Wicca shop in the town of Santa Luna, California. It appears to be a nice life, complete with a best friend named Annie who is a witch with a lot to learn about controling the craft. Claire is ready to help but the arrival of two strangers quickly confirms Claire’s worst fears. Her past has caught up with her and she has to face a formidable enemy or die trying.

Rest For the Wicked is the first in this cozy mystery series, but there were problems. The point of view, scene
Penelope
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-books
I felt like the story was just beginning when I looked at the bottom of my Kindle and realized I was more than halfway through the book. While this is partially my fault for not catching that this was a short one before I began reading, I can't help but feel that much more could have happened. There's a great story in here that could have come out if the characters were given more time. Instead, the story felt way too rushed, and resulted in things like insta-love (or in this case: love as a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #18 - Rest for the Wicked 1 1 Jan 21, 2014 08:32AM

• The Girl (Guardians #1)
  • Darkangel (The Witches of Cleopatra Hill, #1)
  • Drowning Mermaids (Sacred Breath, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • The Thought Readers (Mind Dimensions, #1)
  • Deception (The Transformed, #1)
  • The Witch Hunter (Witch Hunter Saga #1)
  • Nolander (Emanations #1)
  • The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #1)
  • Dream Student (Dream, #1)
  • The Paranormal 13
  • The Black Parade (The Black Parade, #1)
  • Beyond the Fortuneteller's Tent (Beyond, #1)
  • Fire in the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • Dwellers of Darkness (Darkness, #3)
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Blood Beyond Darkness (Darkness, #4)

Cate Dean has been writing since she could hold a pen in her hand and put more than two words together on paper.

She grew up losing herself in the wilds of fantasy worlds, and has had some of her own adventures while tromping through the UK, and a few other parts of the world.

A lover of all things supernatural, she infuses that love into her stories, giving them a unique edge.

When she's not

Claire Wiche Chronicles (7 books)
  • A Gathering of Angels (The Claire Wiche Chronicles, #2)
  • Carry On Wayward Son (The Claire Wiche Chronicles, #3)
  • Annie's Song (The Claire Wiche Chronicles, #4)
  • What Doesn't Kill You (The Claire Wiche Chronicles, #5)
  • The Claire Wiche Chronicles Volumes 1-3