Start by marking “Ten Years On” as Want to Read:
Ten Years On

Ten Years On

Rebecca is happily married to Olly and content with her job at a glamorous London art gallery. But when tragedy strikes, she decides to move back to her childhood home in the country, hoping time will help her to heal.
Published May 10th 2012 by Quercus (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Years On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Years On

RLA
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book when it was on-sale for Kindle for only 20p. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, just a quick easy read that wouldn't require a lot of attention.

I couldn't have been more wrong... This book is simply wonderful!

The story is beautiful and so full of emotion. I spent the majority of time reading it crying my eyes out, and that doesn't happen often!

The author really took us on a journey with her heroine. The glimpses into the past, as well as the passage of time through the pre
Rea Cobb
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Ten Years On centres around the two characters Rebecca and Joe. Rebecca is an instantly loveable and warm character who you just feel the need to wrap her up in bubble wrap and look after her!

When we first meet Joe he is definitely a ladies man but as the book progresses I found that each time Joe is around I was getting a little hot under the collar (as were most of the characters in the book!) It has been ten years since they last had contact but now Rebecca’s circumstances change and she fin
Madelyn Rose
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was okay, but I did have a bunch of thoughts that really stopped me from enjoying this book.

1. This book was slow. It took a while for the actual climax to arise, but there didn't seem to be a peak of this book. It was just very bland. There wasn't too much going on after (view spoiler) Basically, every part after that was Rebecca trying to "fix" her life and find happiness again.

2. Because of the anti-climactic story, I found the book to be very predictable
Loyalhistorian
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Normal I love the "love opportunity missed then rekindled" plot. I had been looking forward to reading this book after I bought it based on the synopsis. But, it had a lot less rekindling in the story. In fact, there was less of Joe in the book than one might think. So, Rebecca is married to Olly, whom she met in university. They used to be best friends with Joe, but they lost touch with Joe ten years prior. Rebecca and Olly live in London, and then Olly is killed in a motorcycle accident. Short ...more
Susan Buchanan
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sad, heart-wrenching and optimistic.

I had previously read Alice's Monday to Friday Man and really enjoyed it and I had been wanting to read this one for a while. I raced through this book. Although the subject matter is different, it tugged at the heartstrings in the same way that Jojo Moyes' Me Before You did. I felt the relationships between Olly and Rebecca, Rebecca and Joe and Joe and Olly were very well dealt with indeed. But always there was an undertone of why did they fall out? Why didn'
Lili
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A very sweet, unimpressively written story. A lovely way to spend my Saturday afternoon and evening, but not anything remarkable.
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful, beautiful story.

This book was brilliant, an incredibly soppy love story, based around the life of Rebecca. After losing her husband Olly in a motorbike crash, her life comes tumbling down around her. Unsure of where to go or what to do, she decides that it's best to go back to her family home, with her mother and father. Once there, Rebecca finds out that she is pregnant with Olly's baby, and as well as that, after speaking to an old, homeless man out in the street, she is su
Rhoda Baxter
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ten Years On by Alice Peterson
I picked this book up because of a Twitter conversation I had with@Alicepeterson1. (Does Twitter sell books? Yes, but not in any direct way). I read the sample chapter and it looked interesting, so I downloaded it.
This book is more about bereavement and grief than romance. Becca’s husband Olly dies suddenly, leaving her alone and pregnant with their first child. Becca must learn to cope with her loss while adjusting to the fact that she’s going to be a mother. For m
BestChickLit.com
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
First things first: this one isn’t a romantic comedy! It’s romantic, it’s emotional, but it’s going to make you cry rather than laugh, so if your Chick Lit tastes swing more to Bridget Jones than The Notebook, this one might not be for you. Having said that, it’s still an absorbing read with some interesting stuff. The look into the new family dynamics of an adult moving back in with their parents was very well done, and Rebecca and her sister Pippa’s clashes over settling into a different way o ...more
Moon Love
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jyc
The book opens with Rebecca, Olly, and Joe making predictions about where they will be in ten years time. Fast forward ten years and the next thing you know Rebecca is moving home to live with her parents. What happened to the three close friends?

Wowza! I've had this book sitting among my gigantic to be read pile since last year. I just picked it up now and I'm wondering why I didn't pick it up long before now. I will warn you that this book made me cry, and not a pretty cry, but not really an
Megi
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Megi by: Sowmya's book world
I came across this book accidentally. I was in a book story and i was browsing. I was in lit section and got a call and while i was on the phone i absently picked this up and started reading it. I ended the call but was still reading. I was intrigued by the story and characters and in way i was expecting the book to be in a certain way. I got the book and finished it on the same day and loved it. The story is familiar yet different in a good way. Its a romantic drama with tragic and i really rea ...more
Emma-Louise
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly written, this novel is extremely powerful and deals with the subject of losing a close one very well. I couldn't put the book down, I was sucked in to Rebecca's life and really felt like I was on her journey with her.
Grief is a very difficult subject to breach but Alice Peterson did it in such a gentle and clever way, and that's what makes this novel brilliant.

Definitely recommended! However, not recommended for reading on the tube as I almost started blubbing in front of all the commut
Nathalie
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read and enjoyed Alice Peterson's previous book 'Monday to Friday Man', I was looking forward to reading this one. I was not disappointed, this was such a great book, dealing with the very sensitive and very well-known subject to me - grief.
It was a lovely story, with ultimately an uplifting message, and it had characters that I really cared for from the start. I have read this in just over a day - exceptionally quick for me at the minute!
I would highly recommend this, and look forward
Tanya
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, the only reason I didn't stop reading was because I have to know what happens in every book I read, it was very very predictable and I found it so slow and dragging on. When I got to the last bit, I was waiting for the Big Bang, fireworks, you know what every romance book has but it was a huge let down. I love my books but sadly this one is not staying on my book shelf. No excitement whatsoever and too predictable.
Laura Walin
May 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: entertainment
I picked this from teh Goodreads recommendations flow, and I must say for teh first time I am very disappointed. A very lame made-to-be sentimental story where nothing - I mean not a thing - came as a surprise. Paper thin characters and a boring plot - rarely do I regret using time in reading, but now I do.
Sharon
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, loved it!
Elaine Hill
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was predictable but a good easy read - chic lit x
Stacey Bennett
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Alice, loved it :) x
Bookevin
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay. It's official. Alice Peterson is now one of my favourites. Such a heartwarming novel. Loved it!
Jen Banks
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Made me cry. Nuff said.
Hollie-Anne Douglas
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Ten Years On' is an overwhelmingly honest exploration of grief. The amount of time and effort that has gone into the research and consolidation of everything the writer wanted to voice is evident in every chapter. I read this book from cover to cover and in that time I cried a great deal, but I don't feel sad, I feel enlightened and grateful to have experienced what these characters are to each other and how beautifully they suffer through what we are all eventually faced with the need to. It a ...more
Karen Keane
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like Alice Peterson as a writer, her books can't really be classed as 'chick lit' as they always have some type of theme behind them, this book was about bereavement and the grieving process. That been said, although the book was emotional it did have it's funny moments and I really enjoyed all the family dynamics within it. I liked Rebecca as the main character and really found myself drawn into her life.
Lucy Mitchell
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet romance!

This was a fabulous book and I am still recovering from the ending. My goodness this author knows how to whip the rug from under my feet. I had my head in my hands at one point. I loved the premise and the characters were great too. Well done to the author - loved it!
Natalie Joseph
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
This was a sweet story about finding yourself and love after an unexpected heartbreak. I loved Joe's character but I think the story could have gone a little deeper into the heartbreak of losing someone. Also, I didn't really like the fact that "Ollie" was talking.
Ruby Boyer
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Your very typical, very predictable love story. But for me, I personally loved it as it was a change from what I would usually pick up to read. Starts with some shocking chapters but always ends in the same happily ever after way :)
Hannah ford
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Great read couldnt put in down one of the best books i have read so far will be buying more of her book's
Nadiah Manan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline....great characters. I enjoyed every page 🤓
Mary Geraghty
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely!!

I loved the characters and how dreams and aspirations change as we grow. There were elements of p.s. I love you in the story. Very endearing, a great read.
Rebecca
3.5. Would read another book by this author
Leah
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Last year I read, and quite enjoyed, Alice Peterson’s novel Monday To Friday Man. So much so that I was really looking forward to her next book Ten Years On. When it landed on my doormat, I was thrilled and it accompanied me to the Doctor’s one day (I’m fine if you’re wondering, just a pesky cold). In fact, as soon as I started the novel I was glued. I had a half day at work and I spent the three hours before I started work reading the novel. At the moment that just doesn’t happen for me. I have ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Summer Daydreams
  • When I Fall In Love
  • Any Way You Want Me
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
  • The Village Vet (Talyton St George, #5)
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • From London with Love
  • Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • All The Single Ladies
  • The Twenty-One (Emerald Cove #2)
  • (Un)like a Virgin
At the age of eighteen Alice had been awarded a tennis scholarship to America when she experienced pain in her right hand. It was rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and she hasn’t picked up a tennis racket since, a sadness that shall always be with her. The theme of disability features in her fiction, but there is nothing gloomy about Alice or her work. Rather this gives her fiction the added dimension of ...more