Start by marking “The Kairos Mechanism (Arcana, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kairos Mechanism (Arcana, #1)

The Kairos Mechanism

(Arcana #1)

September, 1913. The crossroads town of Arcane, Missouri, is a place where strange things happen, and lately those strange things have a habit of happening to thirteen year-old Natalie Minks. It's Natalie who first encounters the two boys who arrive in town seemingly out of nowhere, carrying a dead man between them. Odder still, a few of her older neighbors immediately rec ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by The Clockwork Foundry

Jason
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Kairos Mechanism is AWESOME. It's a fantastically wondrous piece of historical fiction set in Milford's richly imagined Arcane, Missouri, circa 1913, where only the strangest, most terrifying, jaw dropping of events tend to occur.

I may have even enjoyed The Kairos Mechanism more than its predecessor, The Boneshaker, which is equally as imaginative and a must read in order to fully appreciate this yarn. Natalie Minks, lead protagonist of both Boneshaker and Mechanism, is one brave, scrappy,
Kate
Jul 11, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
So once again, you should remember that I am a not-unbiased reader of this book. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Charlotte
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
a lovely time-travel follow up to The Boneshaker that begins with a girl named Natalie meeting two Union soldiers, both boys, bringing home a casualty of the Civil War. The man was killed in Georgia, in 1863, but Natalie lives in 1913, in Missouri...there is clearly magic at work, and it is a lovely fast read of rich detail and compelling characters.
Liz (readwildly)
A wonderful follow up to The Boneshaker, though I don't think it works entirely as a stand alone, which the author has said was her intention. Regardless, it satisfied my need to know more about the mythology of the walking world, and there was a pretty awesome time travel loop.
Sarah Sammis
The Kairos Mechanism by Kate Milford is the sequel to The Boneshaker and the keystone holding together her Bradburyesque historical horror with her more Pratchettesque modern day fantasies.

Kristina
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Basically I'm playing a game called "Catch up on reading the rest of Kate Milford's Books" because The Left-Handed Fate is about to be released and I'm going early in the morning to get my copy from the store.

This book expanded on a lot of what I loved about The Boneshaker. I loved Natalie and Miranda and the mysterious magic of Arcane, Missouri and each of those elements is out in full force in this book. I want to see more of this world and these characters because they are brave and daring an
James
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
amazing! this novella took me right back to the Broken Lands, which i loved reading about in Milford's two books... wonderful and fresh to have a female heroine, one that is smart and tough and wily and brave and emotional AND cute... another fantastic addition to the world(s) Milford has created... the drawings were a beautiful addition to the text, each with its own idea of the Broken Lands and what lies within...
⋟Kimari⋞
If you liked this book, you might also enjoy:

The Boneshaker
The Broken Lands
Robyn
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Greenglass House, really enjoyed Boneshaker, and raced through this, so I certainly need to give Broken Lands another go. Will certainly get Bluecrowne at some point.
(This was on sale, but can't recall if it was a Daily Deal or publisher's special)
Matthew Galloway
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great little story to tide us over until the next book comes out. Natalie continues to be a wonderful character and I like seeing Miranda continue to show her depth. We get plenty of little clues into the mysticism of this world. I can't wait to learn more.
Sem
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-fiction
It's wonderful when a book turns out to be exactly what you'd hoped it would be in style, setting, and characters. I'm hooked.
Julie
Nov 19, 2014 added it
A friend won this book as part of a writer's conference door prize and kindly gave it to me. I loved it! Very fun and imaginative, with flavors of steampunk/Victoriana.
Maya Frank-Levine
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! A must-read novella for fans of Milford's world, and especially for those who wanted more Natalie after they finished The Boneshaker.
Katy
Sep 12, 2014 marked it as on-hold-bored-lost-interest
On hold till I read Boneshaker...
Alan
Megan
Apr 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Capturing the Silken Thief
  • Goat Girls (Weetzie Bat, #2-3)
  • The Seams Between The Stars (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #0.7)
  • Elena's Serenade
  • The Whisper (The Riverman Trilogy, #2)
  • Among the Thorns
  • The Freedom Maze
  • Aunt Isabel Tells a Good One
  • Bushman Lives!
  • The Ice is Coming (Book of Wirrun, #1)
  • Goblin Secrets (Zombay, #1)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog
  • The Melancholy of Mechagirl
  • Swan, Volume 1
  • Herbert's Wormhole
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Frida
Kate is the author of THE BONESHAKER, THE BROKEN LANDS, GREENGLASS HOUSE, and the forthcoming THE LEFT-HANDED FATE (Fall 2015). She is also the author of the self-published Arcana Project series. The first two volumes, THE KAIROS MECHANISM and BLUECROWNE, can be purchased for e-readers at all the usual outlets and in paperback from www.clockworkfoundry.com or www.mcnallyjackson.com. The third volu ...more

Arcana (2 books)