Start by marking “ec·o·nom·ics: a simple twist on normalcy” as Want to Read:
ec·o·nom·ics: a simple twist on normalcy

Read Book

ec·o·nom·ics: a simple twist on normalcy

Professional football players, corporate tobacco advertisers, volatile gasoline prices, and the Cold War all share an undetected commonality-each is an intrinsic part of economics. Though not obvious to the naked eye, each entity shares a pattern with the others. This book helps to shed light on these mutual characteristics. It is an extensive compilation of theories inter ...more
Published March 5th 2012 by Talisman Book Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about ec·o·nom·ics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ec·o·nom·ics

Sheila
Subtitled A Blend of Pop Culture, Economics and Social Trends, Kersten Kelly’s Economics, A Simple Twist on Normacly is definitely heavier on the culture and society than it is on accurate economic theory. The author aims to make economics interesting by showing how it applies in regular life. To this end she avoids complicated analysis, though it sometimes ends up replaced by tortuous analogy and lengthy numerical explanation.

The author presents topics as varied as pension schemes and laser hai
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. It had interesting chapter titles, which always grabs me right away. I loved how the book just flowed and was easy-to-read, which you cannot say about most books on this topic. In addition, the author used quick little stories to emphasis her points and, unlike most economics books, these stories were actually things that made sense to the every day person. This book would be a great book as a supplemental for an economics class.
Fran
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Economics: A Simple Twist on Normalcy
Author: Kersten L. Kelly

Consumers have to right to choose what they buy and where they purchase their goods. Some prefer buying in stores while other use the convenience of the Internet to research and explore the many avenues opened to purchase small ticket items such as makeup, toiletries or even household supplies. Many use the net research the housing market, colleges and the costs of tuition and some even to buy cars. Consumers have many opportunities to
Adelina
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, politics
This is a book worth reading. Although at first I couldn't relate very well to the examples (football games and cigarette marketing), eventually there were some situations discussed I could relate to. That's what ec-o-nom-ics is all about. Setting out real life examples to help everyone understand the theory of economics.
I think at this time in our country it is very important for us all to understand how the economy works. We're always hearing how the economy is bad, but how many of us truly u
Rabid Readers Reviews
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author is a big fan of "Freakonomics" by by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. She suggests the work as a prerequisite to reading her treatise on the topic. I, like the author, read the book in college as a requirement for a class I was taking. I was not as blown away by it as she but this work, which not a lot like the one named, could be a sister of the popular book of economic articles.

As I read the book, I knew Kelly's concepts and found her examples relatable. As textbooks go, I think
Julie
Have you ever wanted to learn all about various economic theories? No? Neither have I! However, when Kersten Kelly asked me to review her debut book, e-co-nom-ics: a simple twist on normalcy, I was drawn to the idea of learning about something that I think is important to understand, in an easy-going way. And given that I'm hosting the Non-Fiction Non-Memoir Reading Challenge this year, I figured it would be a good book to read.

I will say, there were a few times when I felt like I was reading so
Stefan Vucak
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Economics’ takes the reader into the curious and perplexing theory of human behavior within the context of a capitalist social matrix. The discussion rages from exploring selfish and selfless behavior, why the Global Financial Crisis was not all bad, to how McDonald’s cheap meals benefited low-income people, regardless of their dubious nutritional value. This is a book that definitely expands the envelope.

This superbly written work, although not a formal thesis, plunges the reader into a highly
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: To be honest, I am not an economics buff...in fact, I don't have much interest in the subject. However, I agreed to read this book because I feel it is always good to try new things and learn about different subjects that affect our daily lives. With that being said, I did enjoy reading ec·o·nom·ics: a simple twist on normalcy. It is not a book that I had to read every free chance I had though.

What I enjoyed most was that it presented the subject of economics in a rather
Heather
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was excited to delve into this book. I mostly read fiction, but when I came across Kelly's book I was intrigued by the cover and description. I've been out of college for a long while, but economics was always a class I enjoyed.

This book makes economics easy to understand for anyone. It's a great introduction to economic theory. I especially like how Kelly's writing style appeals to the younger generation - she's not dry a
Debbi Mack
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many people who hear the word “economics” assume it’s a subject so entrenched in complex numbers and arcane theories that they’ll never understand it in a million years. This book puts the lie to that.

Through a series of simple examples, Kersten Kelley shows how economics affects our daily decisions. Each of Kelly’s case studies show that economics is about much more than mere numbers or money.

In point of fact, this book lays bare the reality that the value of goods and services are determined b
Lucy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Well if there’s one thing this book taught me it’s that I already know a lot about economics- I just never refered to it that way. It certainly achieved it’s objective of showing how simple economics can be but I didn’t feel I really learnt anything from it to be honest. Part of this is probably that there was quite a lot of consumer psychology information contained in the book, but most of it was basic and all of it I already knew- I’m not sure how far that would be true of someone with no acad ...more
Valentina
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a clever, fascinating book about economics and how it affects pretty much every aspect of our lives. It is an easy to understand guide to the basic theories that govern our lives. I really didn’t expect it to be so entertaining. I expected more of a textbook flow, but the examples really make the reading experience a fun one. The writing is clear and concise, getting the author’s point across without tangling it up, which in this kind of non-fiction book, is not that easy to do.
Obviousl
Saisha Sandoz
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
i did not really know what to expect when i started this book. i was intrigued by the idea of how economics effects our daily lives. and the fact that this book was going to put it to me simply, made me want to read it even more. the author did a wonderful job of pointing out different economic theories in real life. the only problem was that some of the examples got so involved (several even had charts!!) that i found myself unable to focus and really get it. there were several examples that i ...more
Kyria
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was a great, layman's term rundown of the principals of economics. I liked that the author broke it down in a way that was understandable for the everyday man. She speaks about how economics have a place in everyday life, such as choosing a gas station or choosing to quit smoking. She explains the cause and effect of certain things as well as the issues of supply and demand in a way that anyone can understand.

I read this book quite quickly, even though it is a subject that I didn't th
Amber Williams
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the book, ec-o-nom-ics, Kersten Kelly depicts how economics is used in our everyday decision making. Many people think of economics as a foreign concept, but Kersten breaks it into black and white showing that there is no grey area in why we make the daily decisions that we do and that any consumption choice we make is based on a simple concept. She uses situations that we use every single day in order to describe different economic theories in a simplistic matter. Almost anything we do relat ...more
Katie/Doing Dewey
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Economics: A Simple Twist on Normalcy is an approachable introduction to some basic concepts in economics. The author Kersten Kelly focuses on everyday examples of economics at work in order to make the concepts more relatable for the everyday reader. Although the book is neither as dry nor as comprehensive as an economics textbook, I think it has the potential to be a good introduction to an economics course in order to get students more interested.

Read more here...
Sara
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

This book reads like a drawn out college lecture. The economic theories discussed are never fully defined and are only explained through repetitive examples. It's especially drawn out and overly repetitive since there's nothing I didn't already know from just basic common sense. Basically, this book was painful to read, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a Freshman Economics student.
Heather
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
An interesting book on economics - similar to the book Freakonomics. This books breaks down economics and explains it with topics of today - including how framing is used and how you present or word questions can determine the answers people give with all manners of things, including seat belt wearing. I certainly learned a little more about economics from reading this book - if you're looking to learn a little more yourself, I would definitely recommend this book.
Samantha
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book was very well written. I would recommend it to someone who doesn't have much knowledge of economics in the first place. I already knew most of the ideas written in this book.
Kim Mullican
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Truth is, I would rather slam my head in the car door than take another Econ class.

Ms. Kelly did a nice job explaining the subject in real-world terms.
Connie McElfresh
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is not usually a book I would normally read, but am I every glad I got to review it, I will highly recommend it to anyone. A book that makes one think about things is always a good thing.
Ani
Apr 17, 2012
Sagar Chowdhury
Mar 16, 2015
Kersten Kelly
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Saydde
Brittany
Martha
Josh
May 17, 2012
Kersten L. Kelly is a self-published author of narrative non-fiction and semi-fiction books. She grew up in Munster, Indiana, and currently works in a sales role based out of Chicago, Illinois. She started writing at an early age and graduated from Indiana University with a dual Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Communication & Culture. She then went on to earn a Master’s in Business Administ ...more