Start by marking “A Pocket Style Manual” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Style Manual

A Pocket Style Manual

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  558 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Adopted at over 1300 schools across the country in more than 20 different academic disciplines, A Pocket Style Manual is a straight-forward, inexpensive quick-reference to the new essentials of writing and research. The new edition is an even more useful reference-with more on research and documentation and helpful disicipline-focused advice on writing.
Paperback
Published December 31st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Style Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Style Manual

Mandy
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook
NEED TO OWN FOR ALL STUDENTS!! Used for both Eng101 and ENG102. Very helpful. Very detailed.
Additional resource linked from Diana Hackers web-site: http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/pocke...
Chris Steffanoni
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why didn't I buy this in my first year of study. It's a fantastic little book.
Mel
I bought this book, not with the intention to sit with it and read it from cover to cover one time. No, I bought this book because it was recommended to me by one of my English professors and she was spot on.

This book is great as a reference guide. It includes how to apply the styling guidelines by the three most know style entities: APA, MLA and Chicago; plus also shows CSE (which I must admit I just found out about it). In addition, the first part of the book is dedicated to how use grammar p
Kend
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-aids
This is precisely the reference book I wanted and needed when I was an undergraduate student. It covers everything--grammar, mechanics, research aids, all the major style guides, and several handy indices--and is totally pocket-size, if you have deep pockets. I love that this book is offered in a spiral-bound form, too. Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers stick to the basics, but they cover a lot of ground and even this college graduate and adjunct professor has been able to learn something useful wh ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a really, really good little manual, especially concerning its size. I've read a lot of short ones that are filled with too much prose to make them useful, or that don't have the examples or specifics I need. There's only been one thing so far, a specific example of a rule, that I looked up and couldn't find, and I wasn't able to find it anywhere online, either. Only the good ol' Chicago Manual of Style helped me out and since I have a hard copy of that, too, I'm good to go. (I like havi ...more
Les
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WISH I'd had this toward the end of high school and the beginning of college. I won't use another grammar/punctuation/style/research/citing guide again, especially when it's HALF the price of the original textbook. This efficiently replaces the combination of reference books I've used when teaching - including Strunk & White. I should have had this YEARS ago, but now will suffice.
Martha
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, I've spent a lot of quality time with this little book. It is our assigned text for our info lit classes. I have to say that it is pretty darned handy, with basic information about citation styles and sound wisdom about conducting library research for just $10.

Oh, yeah, and Barbara Fister has been the person revising it in recent editions :)
Nov 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I'm not reading my book club's book this month because I am reading this book and others preparing each week for a Basic Writing Refresher workplace workshop I am teaching this month.
Tom
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
This is an indispensable tool. If you write papers, essays, reviews, etc., this is the book for you. It has concise entries on style, citations (MLA, Chicago, APA), and more. A handy backpack staple. The larger full style manual is also excellent as a desk reference.
Janet Mitchell
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has to write
I am constantly using this book in my classroom. If you have grammar questions, APA issues, or MLA issues then you should use this book. Diane Hacker also has a website, if you just need a quick reference.
  • Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Educational Psychology
  • Writers Inc: A Student Handbook for Writing and Learning
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • Writing History: A Guide for Students
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Simon & Shuster Handbook for Writers
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching
  • How Languages are Learned
  • Signs of Life in the U.S.A.: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • A Pocket Guide to Writing in History
  • Compendio Historia y Filosofía de la Educación
  • A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write
  • Write Right!: A Desktop Digest of Punctuation, Grammar, and Style, 4th Edition