Start by marking “Rhubarb” as Want to Read:
Rhubarb

Rhubarb

When Martin discovers that aliens are really among us, he’s not as shocked as you might think. After all, as a traveling salesman, he’s spent more than enough hours on the road listening to late-night talk radio to know about these things. The odd thing is that these aliens are coming to tiny Brixton, Montana…to eat at the truck stop.

Martin, too, has been coming to Brixton
Published April 3rd 2012 (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Rhubarb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhubarb

Ron
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great fun. Better tha "Hitchhiker's Guide..." et al.

A light-hearted tale mixing enough pop culture to connect while turned your standard "first contact" tale on its head. (Partly because this isn't their "first" contact.) Pay close attention: almost nothing is what it seems.

Good job!
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The opening sequence of this book was brilliant - very Douglas Adams HHGTTG-esque. But then the story changed completely and took a little while to really draw me in. Once it did, though, I devoured it. If you like humorous sci-fi, read Rhubarb.
Todd Carney
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rhubarb is an amazingly fun book!

Its humorous style is reminiscent of Douglas Adams and his wonderful Hitchhiker series and Dirk Gently novels. I truly appreciate the comedy of the mundane often at work in Van Keuren's book, as our hero pays close attention to little details in every day life that so often get overlooked. And then that focus on the dreary and mundane becomes juxtaposed with a bigger-than-life story closing in!

To grossly paraphrase the great Gene Shalit on a completely unrelated
Drew
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, space-sci-fi
‘Rhubarb’ started off great. The main character, Martin, is fun everyman with some great self-deprecating humor. The story line with ‘Beyond Insomnia’ and the Wakers was great as well. Some of the tidbits from the show were really funny. Then we get into the meat of the story but it doesn’t seem to really go anywhere. I felt that the middle part of the story didn’t really add much and could have been considerably shorter. I started to lose a bit of interest here which moved the book down to 3 st ...more
Gregoire
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, sf
Drôle, bien écrit mais un peu juste au point de vue de l'intrigue peu crédible (je n'arrive pas à croire que les ET n'aient pas trouvé seuls l'ingrédient mystère) avec des longueurs qui m'ont empêché de mieux noter Mais Martin Chéryl et Stewart sont un trio attachant, ordinaire et humain...

lire en anglais la review de Drew

comme le lien ne fonctionne pas je kopikole :

David
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anyone who has ever held a sucky job will sympathize with Martin. All those long hours on the road--of course he listens to that ridiculous paranormal talk show. But, does he actually believe that stuff? Cheryl hopes not.

She's more down to earth. At least she was until the aliens abducted her. Now it's up to Martin to get her home again. This may sound like a farfetched plot, but the story works because its characters are believable. Even the aliens are believable. Their motivations are just as
jimtown
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read very little sci-fi in my life, but I chose this book, which I would say is mild to medium sci-fi because it had so many other elements I enjoy. What's not to like about a truck stop diner, trucks, traveling salesmen and aliens? And then there's the rhubarb pie.

In this story, Martin is a hardware salesman. He stocks up the bins with nuts, bolts, and other hardware as he travels but he has been spending a lot of extra time at Herbert's Corner in Brixton. He's smitten with a waitress ther
Riki Solanen
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I laughed several times with this book. An alien threat to Earth, uncovered by a route salesman in rural Montana. I loved the radio talk show that Martin listens to... UFOs, conspiracies, the callers' questions and weird theories. Oh yes, I've heard that kind of stuff before. :)

Very modern, I like the frequent pop culture references. Quite a bit of twists and surprises. No military involvement, this is a story of a few people who do what needs to be done. And what do the aliens want? Well, they
Bryan
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had read the reviews for this and decided to check out the book. I was blown away. The story was interesting, playful, full of humor, and generally a good fun read. I liked a lot of the small techniques the author used, such as the lists and the radio show, to provide continuity and commentary throughout the story without it being awkward or contrived. I would totally recommend this to people that like to read. What other book involves truckers, Montana, rhubarb pie, and space aliens in such a ...more
Margo
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kristi Stoughton, John Shekleton
Four stars and more. This book was a lot of fun. I think anyone who likes "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" -- to which I suspect there were more than a few references -- would surely enjoy it. I kept highlighting passages on my e-reader and chuckling out loud. I can't begin to explain a plot involving a rhubarb pie recipe, alien truckers, a Montana hardware parts salesman, and a late-night talk radio program catering to paranormal and conspiracy theorists, but it's all in there, and more. Seri ...more
joseph R. Hylton
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
cute

aliens are mirrors of humans. got it. this story was just plain and simple a cute and amusing syfy adventure. Aliens like Rhubarb pie. To the point of kidnapping people who they think can teach them how to make it. Unfortunately, when they have the recipe they will kill all humans and take the earth as their own to farm the land and make....pie. If you are looking for an amusing story to pass the time til your next serious novel then this is definately for you. Very well written and easy to
Adam Smith
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to save the world when you have to convince people that the only reason aliens are invading Earth is for the pie.

This book is hilarious; especially Martin's constant reading of signs in increasingly sarcastic tones. The aliens aren't here to study us nor abduct us, they're here to eat snack food and move on.

A funny Sci-Fi with several unique twists that make it well worth the read.
Phoghat.com/
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The plot is as different in concept as it could possibly be, and yet the book is well written and a page turner to boot.
Both my wife and I loved it ( it's really good to have someone who loves SF ans much as you do, BTW )
Just reading his second book, " Legitimacy" http://www.amazon.com/Legitimacy-Book... and it's just as good, maybe better.
Matthew
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Still reading, (about 70%), this is just impressions so far.

The story get off to a slow start. Most of the action happens in the background with the protagonist trying to catch up and figure out what is happening (with space aliens, late night radio talk shows, an almost girlfriend, his life, etc.).

Not bad, but hasn't really grabed me and pulled me into the story.
Philip McClimon
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pie in the sky

This book took its time getting started and allowed me to get a real feel for the people and places. As it progressed, it picked up pace nicely and was really a fun read. A premise that is slightly off kilter and hapless heroes bring it all home. There 's even a dash of romance. Oh, and Aliens and pie, too. Fun times this.
Tanya Avines
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovable characters...
Great book, small town full of lovable quirky characters ... My favorite things to read about! Throw in the Alien factor and wonderfully fun writing, well it's just perfect. Great job M.H. Van Keuren! Glad to see your next book is now available, I'll be snapping it up pronto.
Nicole
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nicole by: onehundredfreebooks.com
Alien truckers are invading Earth for the pie. Can't say I blame them, we have some really good pie. I thought the storytelling was great, it had me laughing out loud at times. Lots of adventure and a lovestory too. I'd definitely recommend it to others that enjoy humorous sci-fi books.
Veronica
Jun 12, 2012 is currently reading it
So far I find this book pretty interesting. It started a little bit slow and was easy to put down in the beginning, but now that the plot is rolling.... well I really do want to find out where it goes. Definitely recommend this for a light summer read.
Steve
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful dialogue...

The dialogue is so well written that I am pretty sure the book is autobiographical because nobody could write fiction this well. This is really funny and smart writing. Highly recommend this book.
Adam
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This author seems to have a very good sense of humor. He also seems to have a good enough sense of science fiction to use that humor to make fun of the genre. Rhubarb is a good first novel. I hope the next novel is just as much fun, but with more hardcore sci-fi.
Joshua
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting bit of humorous sci-fi. For some reason I had a hard time finishing it, but it was still fun to read. There were a lot of sections quoting callers to a late-night radio show, which was important to the plot, but it was quite a bit too much of that.
Kristi
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Really 3.5 stars. Rhubarb was a fast read, cute and charming and geeky and funny. I can’t say I was riveted to the story, but I chuckled quite a few times and enjoyed the creative plotline. A fun diversion!
Mike
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A great humorous sci-fi book. A little campy, but highly entertaining, and I couldn't seem to put it down.
Tanya
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, kindle, sci-fi
Fun book
Claudia
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, free
Too funny! Great story, totally crazy, outrageous, hilarious. Loved this book.
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013ebook, scifi
Silly. Fun. Definitely light reading but how can you not like a book where rhubarb pie is a major plot point?
Sue
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Fun and funny page turner. Up until 3:30 am to finish it.
Joel
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun read, and definitely different, which is what attracted me to this book. It was a slow start, but what a fun ride once things got going.
Amanda
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Ancient aliens cross hitchhiker's guide equals silly fun.
Heatherinsf
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Rhubarb" by M. H. van Keuren 1 4 Mar 30, 2014 07:08AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Rhubarb 3 22 May 14, 2013 12:00PM
  • Pandora's Genes (The Pandora's Trilogy) (Volume 1)
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • The Ultimate Inferior Beings
  • The Eve Genome
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Everywhere But No Place (Messages From The Unseen World, #1)
  • Smallworld
  • Below Mercury
  • NorthWest (John Hazard, #2)
  • The Silence of Lir (Saga of the Spheres #1)
  • Nirvana Effect
  • The Neanderthal's Aunt
  • Take Back Tomorrow
  • Nine-Tenths
  • The Missing Link
  • Slag Attack
  • World-Mart
  • When Pigs Fly
M.H. Van Keuren quit a perfectly good job to devote his life to writing science fiction. He lives in Billings, Montana, with his wife and two sons.

“Forget Luke. WWHSD? What would Han Solo do?” 2 likes
“Cigarettes. Over eighteen. Lighter. Death wish. I think you’re good to go,” said Gary. Martin” 0 likes