Start by marking “1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  505 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In a snappy, can-do format, 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders offers page after page of try-it-now solutions that have worked for thousands of children grappling with social, sensory, behavioral, and self-care issues, plus many more.
Published January 1st 2004 by Future Horizons

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders

Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son was diagnosed with high-functioning autism (HFA) earlier this year. We knew there were things about him that were different, but we didn't realize how much we were going to have to change our parenting and expectations. Shortly after my son's diagnosis, my mom and I found this book almost by accident. We flipped to a random page and there was a recommendation for one of many issues my son struggles with. We took it as a sign, and I bought the book.

This book was an excellent reference, and
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think everyone should read this book so that they can understand the struggles that parents and children face. It has great ideas for teaching children with these conditions but a lot of the tips apply to people who deal with a child who has ADD or ADHD or just doesn't have the desire to learn. It's a big book but it doesn't take as long to read it as you would think.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism-aspergers
A useful reference book for parents of children on the autism spectrum, or for those who work with children on the spectrum.

The main chapters cover: Sensory Integration, Communication and Language, Behavior, Daily Living, Thinking Social Being Social, Teachers and Learners.

There is also 29 page Index at the back of the book, with entries for everything from Toileting and Toilets, Nonverbal Communication, Nonverbal Prompts, Accommodations, Anger, Anxiety, Behavior, Changes, Comprehension, Emoti
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Delivers exactly what promises, a thousand ideas and strategies to care for, teach and help children with autism. And it does a wonderful job at covering both the parental area as the academic one, so whether you are a lost parent looking for guidance or a desperate teacher in need of education on the subject, this book will be a life saver, and an extremely well documented point of reference to which you will find yourself coming back to more often than not.
Elizabeth Flowers
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this when I worked with young children with ASDs. I recommended it to many parents because it was easy to understand and had practical techniques for anyone who educates, lives with, or works with ASD.
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enormous number of practical ideas for you to use with your autistic child. I was so amazed by their simplicity and efficiency, and I found the part related to the child's sensory experiences the most attracting.
Mimi Lala
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autism
Great book! Activities that can be done with the children. Also part of my collection. Great resource.
Mariam Hamad
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
كتاب مفيد وعملي، يحوي الكثير من الأفكار المفيدة والعملية التي يمكن تطبيقها في المنزل أو في المدرسة.
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amazing book! I plan to purchase a copy soon to keep on hand. Everyone with a child on the autism spectrum in their life should have this book handy!
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It was alright. I like Ellen Notbohm's smaller book (2005) much more so than this one that she compiled with Veronica Zysk. I found this a bit overwhelming and unrealistic at times, when thinking about the suggestions provided.
Ambrosia Sullivan
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good comprehensive collection of ideas well-suited to teachers, teachers' aides, and parents new to an autism diagnosis.

Seasoned parents skimming through will find some useful tips too. Pages 76-78 contain a list of recommended wordless picture books.

There was one red flag for me on page 63 - "Don't let [the child] get away with substituting random thoughts for comprehensible conversation, at any age". At a very young age, babbling randomly is the way most children learn to talk, and they certai
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the first five chapters were excellent and offered some very practical, immediately useable ideas for parents and teachers. Chapter 6 was problematic in that some of the advice given to parents would lend itself to team difficulties and four hour long IEP meetings. Also, the information was extremely disorganized in that last chapter. Overall, however, I would recommend this to anyone teaching or raising a child with autism, especially if they are new to autism.
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of it didn't pertain to my son, because he's not in school yet, but it had a lot of wonderful ideas - it's mostly good parenting skills - ideas for activities for your child - and tips for getting the most out of the educational process.
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is generally easy to glance through -- I was able to quickly determine which ideas would likely help me with my Aspergian son. Even though there were only two ideas that applied to me, it was helpful all the same.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for parents but there are no real examples of lesson planning for teachers who work with autistic students. I was looking for that. Good book though. I found a couple of ideas to use in the classroom.
Allison Fetch
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good ideas, presented in a very accessible way. I got several ideas for my son but wish I had found this book when he was younger as many of the ideas do pertain to preschoolers. I will be taking some of the ideas to my son's teacher, as well. Definitely worth the read.
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't claim that I've read every word, but I have liked what I did read. I would like to purchase this book as a reference, which is essentially what this book is. Lots of ideas, tips and explanations that really are useful.
R.K. Goff
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yes, it has 1001 good ideas for helping your child with ASD. And while you're reading them, you pick up tons of information about what their minds and lives are like.

The ideas or for everyone, but I think the information is so basic it's mostly for newbies.
This book wasn't very helpful for the high-functioning Asperger's u deal with daily. It seemed more geared toward younger kids too.
Mandy Peterson
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a teacher, this book helped prepare me for my first ASD inclusion student. Many of the considerations and activities will be great for my whole class. Good book to glean from!
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This may be helpful for some families with a child diagnosed with Autism. There are some decent specific strategies although I think some of it may be outdated.
Stacy White
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My 9yr old is higher functioning & too old for many of the ideas in this book but I did come across some great friendship techniques that we will try.
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the great ideas the author had. I have tried several in the past year. :)
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lot of activities suggestions.
Ann Brown
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good, useful information, a little overwhelming, but definitely a book to reference for future use.
Amanda Short
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the book, but was expecting more activity type things to do.
Karen Wolcott
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of great ideas and insight to help communication with autistic children.
Peter Talmey
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Having two children with ASD. I found this book interesting and helpful. Everyone should read it and get to understand ASD children. Not all children are misbehaving
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication and Social Skills in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • The Social Skills Picture Book: Teaching Play, Emotion, and Communication to Children With Autism
  • Autism: Explaining the Enigma
  • The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children with Autism and Related Disorders
An internationally renowned author, Ellen Notbohm’s work has informed and delighted millions in more than twenty languages. In addition to her award-winning books on autism, her articles and columns on such diverse subjects as history, genealogy, baseball, writing and community affairs have appeared in major publications and captured audiences on every continent. Ellen is an avid genealogist, knit ...more
More about Ellen Notbohm...

Nonfiction Deals

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99