Start by marking “Gospel and Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Gospel and Kingdom

Gospel and Kingdom (Goldsworthy Trilogy #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Gospel and Kingdom is concerned with finding the gospel principles inherent in the Pentateuch and historical books of the Old Testament
Paperback, 2012 Edition, 152 pages
Published 2012 by Paternoster (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Gospel and Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel and Kingdom

Scott
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gift thanks to Matt Pitts.

'Gospel & Kingdom' is one of the best introductions to Biblical Theology that I have ever seen, even with it's absolutely repulsive book cover.

Goldsworthy doesn't use overly complicated language and writes to lay Christians to help them understand the purpose of the OT for Christians. He manages to skim across the general narrative of the OT in under a hundred pages and then focuses on how various OT passages point to the coming Christ.

There wasn't anythin
Laurent Dv
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre concerne tous ceux qui s'interroge l'utilité de l'Ancien Testament par rapport au Nouveau et sur l'interprétation correcte que les chrétiens doivent avoir pour ne pas dévaler dans d'énormes extravagances et dans de folles spéculations quant au sens de la parole de Dieu. L'auteur présente l'histoire de la Bible en prenant pour fil directeur le Royaume de Dieu et sa révélation progressive au fur et à mesure de l'histoire de la révélation. Il nous donne des principes fondamentaux pour inte ...more
David Sarkies
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who want a better understanding of the Old Testament
Recommended to David by: My Church
Shelves: christian
An academic exposition of the Old Testament
18 July 2012

Well, it seems as if I am the only person on Goodreads that has given this book less than four, though I do notice that a couple of people have given it a three. I do expect to get some nasty comments to my commentary here, however I assure you that I have no intention of getting into an argument with anybody over my position on Christianity. First of all, at this stage of my life I am loathe to call myself an evangelical, particularly sinc
Daniel Nelms
"Underlying [this book] has been the conviction that twentieth century evangelical Christians have experienced a radical loss of direction in handling the Old Testament."

I know of no other book of 150 pages that introduces the reader to grappling with the Old Testament in such a masterful way. In fact, it was a easy read for me only because his ideas have permeated without measure the current Neo-Calvinism/resurgence of Reformation-hermeneutics that I have been well acquainted with them already.
Jason Suydam
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good, clear and simple presentation of the overarching theme of the Bible. Like a Bob Ross episode, we should see the image of Christ progressively taking form throughout the scriptures.
Josué
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy bueno de teología bíblica. Goldsworthy es un gran expositor del Antiguo Testamento y se ve claramente en todo este libro el estilo claro y a la vez profundo que lo caracteriza. A través de capítulos cortos pero interesantes, el autor nos traza las eras bíblicas en donde el Reino de Dios se ha revelado desde el Edén hasta la Venida de Cristo. También nos da pautas y principios generales de hermeneútica para poder interpretar el Antiguo Testamento de una manera 'cristocéntrica' y no d ...more
Brian The Furnace Man
I almost gave this book 5 stars because of the authors really cool name. I thought that may be a little unfair though.

Excellent study on how the old testament relates to the new testament. I guess a better way to put it would be how the old testament points to and is fulfilled in the new testament. The idea that the new covenant some how replaces the old covenant is absurd. To imply that God made a mistake and needed a do over does not fit into the context and true meaning of the bible as a who
Hopson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gospel & Kingdom is a fantastic little resource as an introduction to biblical theology. It's clear, simple, easy to read, and short. Goldsworthy offers a helpful overview of the Old Testament, while rightly pointing the reader to its ultimate fulfillment in Christ. Although I don't agree with all his implications for sermon application, I found this a very helpful book and would recommend it to those wanting to understand the Old Testament better or those wanting an introduction to the disc ...more
Noel Adams
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite possibly the BEST book I have read this year. Goldsworthy gently but deftly defends his thesis that today's typical evangelical reads the Old Testament badly. I think it's a sign of a good book when I've underlined and starred nearly the entire text. This is the best survey of the Old Testament that I am aware of. And it's now official 'required reading' for my children. After all, the Bible is a sword...and if you're gonna swing that thang around, you should have proper weapons tr ...more
Tom
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Goldsworthy sets out to prove that 20th century (and 21st cwntury0 evangelicals have 'experienced a radical loss of direction in handling the Old Testament... By reverting to either allegorical interpretation on the one hand or prophetic literalism on the other, .. thrown away the hermeneutic gains of the Reformers in favor of a mediaeval approach to the Bible."

This book serves to correct those losses. A great read; heartily recommended!
Joey
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent summary of the consistent thread of the gospel and the kingdom of God, from Genesis to Revelation. In particular, Goldsworthy is helpful for understanding how the Old Testament properly relates to the New, in ways seldom understood by Sunday School teachers, Bible study leaders, and preachers. Goldsworthy's call for a return to biblical theology is a must-read for those who seek to teach the Bible to others especially the Old Testament.
Vaclav
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The New Testament is in the Old concealed, the Old Testament is in the New revealed." (St. Augustine)These are good thoughts to keep in mind when we interpret the Holy Scriptures. We need the Holy Spirit to reveal to us the truth of the "Gospel & Kingdom" in the whole Bible, but we also must keep in mind that New Testament is not against the Old Testament, but that one explains the other. And so we need both for the full understanding of the Word of God.
Mark A Powell
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
In summary fashion, Goldsworthy lays out the full scope of the Biblical narrative, particularly emphasizing the covenants that God makes with His people at various stages of history. Written in a time when biblical theology had been long ignored, Goldsworthy’s book called for a return to tracing the threads of God’s tapestry throughout all Scripture. Since then, better and more comprehensive books have done so, but this stands the test of time as a solid introduction.
Eli
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graham Goldsworthy's book is an excellent survey of the Old Testament, with plenty of important clarifying insights. That is until the last two chapters! He almost completely changes his tune and revokes everything he had previously said. Were it not for his conclusion I would have wholeheartedly given this book the highest recommend.
Matthew
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting introduction to Goldsworthy's biblical theology and overview of the big picture of the Old Testament. It provides some great motivation for reading the OT and doing so while thinking of it as Christian scripture. I'm reading Goldsworthy's new book on Christ-Centered Biblical Theology next, and I'm very excited to do so based on Gospel and Kingdom.
Bill
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Before starting I was broadly aware of Biblical Theology, but reading this book has been a major reorganisation of my view of the whole Bible, plus some fresh and helpful perspectives on some old issues.
Joseph
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Goldsworthy covers a lot of ground in 100 pages and change. This book is a solid introduction to biblical theology and has some good tips on how to read and interpret the old testament.

He does a great job in introducting big-picture biblical themes in an understandable, and brief manner.
David Uptagrafft
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recc from Daniel Perez. A good synopsis of appropriately reading the Bible. At various points reminded me of NT Wright works and points, Mark Noll and even Christian Smith.
Jonny
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid biblical theology. A primer if you will. There may be better books to read if you're not familiar with the discipline but still good nonetheless.
Matt Tyler
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A very useful book, particularly as a study with another Christian concerning biblical theology and interpretation. Don't forget to use the appendix in the back!
Shane Saxon
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid primer on reading the Old Testament.
Jeff Mixon
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book is excellent in giving an overview in regards to the story line of the Bible. A must read for those teaching at any level in the local church.
Keith
This book provides a great framework for reading the old testament. I would highly recommend it.
Thomas
an excellent introduction to the biblical theology of the Old Testament. it could be longer and more comprehensive, however.
Jw
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
How to read the Old Testament 101. An easy to read and helpful little book.
Matt Mason
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid guide to understanding the story of redemption as it unfolds in the Old Testament. Goldsworthy is great at helping the reader see how the OT revelation points to Christ.
Jamie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kingdom of God: God's people in God's place under God's rule. The already/not yet of the Kingdom of God and the FINISHED work of Christ.
Jonathan
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, very clear and simple yet helpful for understanding biblical theology and the scriptures.
Noel Burke
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I felt the end really brought things together for me. This brought a good understanding of the Kingdom, the Gospel, and Christ.
Iain Broomfield
Aug 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • Gospel Deeps: Reveling in the Excellencies of Jesus
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • The King in His Beauty: A Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • Reformation: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
Graeme Goldsworthy is an Australian Anglican and Old Testament scholar. Now retired, Goldsworthy was formerly lecturer in Old Testament, biblical theology and hermeneutics at Moore Theological College in Sydney, Australia. He is the author of "According to Plan" (IVP, 1991), "Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture" (Eerdmans, 2000) and "Proverbs: The Tree of Life" (CEP, 1993). Goldsworth ...more
More about Graeme Goldsworthy...

Goldsworthy Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Lamb and the Lion: The Gospel in Revelation