Start by marking “All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale” as Want to Read:
All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale

All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale

So Good, Venise Berry's first novel, spent six months on Essence magazine's Blackboard bestseller list and was an Alternate Selection of the Literary Guild "RM" . With All of Me, Berry again delivers a compelling, humorous, and poignant story on a subject that plagues half the women in America -- weight. Serpentine Williamson has a good life: an exciting career as a ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about All of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All of Me

Start your review of All of Me: A Voluptuous Tale
Tamara Evans
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book, I will admit, my interest was piqued. However after recently finishing this book, I was left feeling somewhat disappointed.Although the author does a great job in capturing the struggles faced by the plus size woman, she does a lousy job in reference to narration.

What usually draws me to a book is the way in which an author presents dialog.In the case of All of Me, while the author had a wonderful story to tell, it seemed to me that she really didn't put all of
Monalisa Watkins
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I feel that a lot of areas aren't covered Black people especially women. We all have so much in common but there are things specific to the Black community. Great book!!
Michelle
When I chose this book to read, I didn't really know what to expect. The cover kind of interested me and then I read the back and that's pretty much what got me to read it. When I started, it kind of reminded me of myself. Reading what she had gone through with her weight, really got me thinking about society today, because America has a big problem with being overweight. She talked about how she got picked on and I thought of the people at our school and the way we pick on each other. I have ...more
Diana
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: black-women, weight
I remember in the 90's or maybe early 2000's my mom had this book in her book club and I snuck and read it, but I can't remember if I liked it or not. I remember it prompted me to listen to the song Serpentine Fire, which I had never heard of before then. Anyway, reading it now, it made me sad and it annoyed me a little. Sad because I am fat and I know how she feels. I mean wow, I could relate to this so much it hurt. But it annoyed me because she was not a nice person. I don't care what has ...more
Cheryl
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
A story about self acceptance and seeing oneself as beautiful. Serpentine has done well in her career as a television journalist, but has struggled with her weight and male companionship all her life. Compounding her issues is her well meaning but ultimately wrong headed mother. Mom can not help herself with her casual cruelty all in the name of honesty.
I liked the plot of this book, but feel like Berry concentrated too much on some plot threads and not enough on others. I wanted to know more
Nancy
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those That Ain't Ashamed of the Curves They Swerve
I Fully Know

I am a full figured sistah
I figured out the truth in folk
That judge you by your size
If too thick -- they’ll despise
So I tossed them away
Real friends
Will not depend on whether you shop at
Saks or Lane Bryants

I figured out that my full hips
My full breast
My nice shapely legs
And my pretty face
Don’t make me depressed
Don’t make me a mess
I celebrate life daily

Need I say more about how I feel about this book.
Niloofar
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun, easy read
I really enjoyed reading this book. Her style of writting is just up my alley (like sitting across a friend and talking). She is really funny too, her description of things of great. I also liked it because dealing with weight issues most of my life, it was easy to relate to her problems. Very fast, easy read.
Desiree
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned to love myself more. I also learned to expect to be treated well rather than excepting what people offer up. This is an excellent self-esteem building book. It takes you through the whole gambit of self denial-self destruction-self appreciation.

loved it!!!
Karma
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everyday-life
This was a good book about how we as African American women have to learn to accept and love ourselvs no matter what other people or American society says about us. Serpentine has many obstacles to overcome, but with the help of her family, her psychologist and God, she finally gets to that point.
Jeretta Shoemaker