Start by marking “Blue Like Elvis (Moody Blue, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blue Like Elvis (Moody Blue, #2)

Blue Like Elvis

(Moody Blue #2)

Original Edition for ASIN B007PLH2JE (now: Memphis & Me)

Do you remember where you were the day Elvis died?
I do. I know exactly where I was.
I was there.

In the spring of 1977, Shelby Colter moved back to Memphis, Tennessee hoping to make a fresh start after breaking off her engagement. Working as a patient representative hostess at Baptist Memorial Hospital--the world's
Kindle Edition, Original Edition for ASIN B007PLH2JE, 370 pages
Published March 28th 2012 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Blue Like Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Like Elvis

Loraine
SUMMARY: In the summer of 1977, Shelby Colter moved back to Memphis, Tennessee hoping to make a fresh start after breaking off her engagement. Working as a patient representative hostess at Baptist Memorial Hospital--the world's largest private hospital--she's thrilled with her new job, assisting patients with their non-medical needs. She has to laugh at her colorful co-workers who constantly chat about Elvis-sightings. After all, Baptist Memorial was "Elvis's hospital."

Shelby hits the ground ru
Marcia
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It was definitely a walk down memory lane since I grew up in Memphis. Diane Moody is an awesome writer and draws you into the story. Cant wait to read the next book!
Melanie
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a feel good read with some romance, tears, and smiles.
Toledo (T.J.)
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
A rather simple plot, almost slow, but if you love Elvis you hang in for the ending and it is worth it.
Charlie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Skinny

After graduating college, Shelby moves back to Memphis to start over after breaking off her engagement. It's the summer of 1977 and her college roommate helps her land a job at Baptist Memorial Hospital as a "hostess." The hostess team operates similarly to stewardesses. They attend to non-medical needs of the patients by visiting them, running errands, and anything else the patients may need. Shelby is particularly good at what she does and has a few constant patients whose stories im
Loretta
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read. Takes place mostly in a hospital, a hospital that Elvis used regularly. The main character is part of the "hostess" program and the story is her story about her job and the interactions with her patients as well as the staff, particularly a doctor and her roommate who is also a hostess. The reason I give this book a 5 star rating is the surprise ending; it totally caught me off guard and yet left me smiling and wondering.
Janie  R.
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story! Though this is not a sad story, but there is a happening in the plot towards the end of the story, where I cried along with Shelby. It really touched me so, I can't say what it was, because I don't want to spoil it for you. Any way, I really liked this story, and I highly recommend it!
Rose Marie Ray
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this first book in the series. It was well writen and it kept your interest. However, the book I read was called Blue Elvis. Maybe they are the same. It had mystery, intrigue, suspense and humor. I had a lot of laughs in the story. The romance was good and clean. It was a great book. Looking forward to the next sequel Blue Christmas.
Beth Kaminske
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Elvis has left the building

I liked most of this book, especially how it got me reminiscing over my life in the late 70's. But the end of the book was a little to sweet for me. Also the prologue was just bad. Really? Can we all just get over the Elvis fixation?
Barbara
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story with unexpected twist at the end!

Diane Moody is a gifted storyteller. Her writing style draws me into the story and I become a part of it. "Blue Like Elvis" is a story about love, heartache, and the rebuilding of trust after realizing trust begins with God. The setting is Memphis, TN, and Elvis and his entourage's intermittent appearances are entertaining and bittersweet. There is an unexpected twist at the end that wrapped the story up perfectly. This book is written from a Christia
Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about Shelby Colter who is fresh out of college and on her way to her first job. She is hired by Baptist Memorial Hospital to be on their "hostess" team. The hostess team visits the patients, run errands for them, and do anything they might need. Baptist Memorial is THE hospital that Elvis goes to when he needs medical care. The story follows a group of young girls as they deal with the variety of patients. Of course, Elvis sighting are involved. This is a delightful book to read ...more
Christine Lowe
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

This is a novel for those who like a good story. You don't need to Iike Elvis. It is helpful to be aware of who he was and remember the media frenzy and outright adoration of the many fans. I enjoyed everything about this book. The unique position of hospital hostesses was a great idea. The relationships were believable and characters were well developed.

I hope you will read Ms Moody's book. She tells a great story. I gave her a 5 star recommendation. Everything rings true in her story
Missy
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A nice feel good book. Great and heartfelt story. I also enjoyed the acknowledgement section where she wrote about the people who helped her write this story. It's nice to know that Donnie was made up by a real friend of hers and also Sandra.

Having a hostess service for a hospital is such a novel idea. It's too bad that we only concentrate on our physical bodies in the hospital now days. So many people would benefit from this service.

Still a fan of Diane Moody...
Jerry Newhouse
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book was a real emotional rollercoaster, not the happy–happy book its predecessor in this series was. Even on that note, it was an excellent read. Once more Diane has shown a real mastery in the art of character development as well as mastering the method of dramatic story–telling. Her background research on this one is truly in depth and makes this story come alive. I can actually recall some of these events, which made it all the more real. Thank you, Diane, for another wonderful tale.
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really fun, even though I am not an Elvis fan. Almost as good as her Blue Christmas. This was a romance book with a good amount of kissing. It didn't bother me at all but some of my friends might not like it. Memorable characters and the perfect read for a visit to Memphis. I had so much fun reading it my family and I drove through Memphis.
Lana
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got such a kick out of the ending that I wanted to believe it was true! (I can suspend belief in my fiction, so I'm good with it.)

This is one of my comfort reads. Shelby and Tucker are precious together. It was such a sweet clean romance that it's nice to read sometimes when I just need to enjoy a story without profanity or sex. The bits of Elvis that pop up through the book are fun and completely possible, but again it's fiction, so I'm good with a little realism mixed in.
Sandy Walden
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first book in the series I was excited to continue onto the second book. When I found out that this book had a storyline that included Elvis and that particular time period I wasn't as excited, not having much experience with that era in time.

I was most pleasantly surprised!! I couldn't put this book down! The characters were warm, their experiences were engaging and I appreciated the spiritual influences. I definitely recommend this book!

Thanks Mrs. Moody.
Sarah Wright
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I would like this book as well as I did book #1 in this trilogy, but since it involved Elvis, I decided to give it a shot.

I am so glad that I read this book. It was very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.

I can't wait to read book #3 in the trilogy and then possibly other books by the author!
Regina Lindsey
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, another great story by Diane Moody. She is a wonderful storyteller. I especially like this because it takes place back in the early 70's before Elvis died. I could visualize most of the story as I was about the main character's age when the story takes place. This is the 2nd book in a trilogy. I can't wait for #3!!!
Emily
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book... Loved the story at the end about an Elvis sighting. A couple threads were dropped that I wondered about. Did Mrs. Wilcox ever return to the hospital after she left distraught over her mistake with her husband's meds? I had thought Shelby would check on her, but that never happened. Also, did Donnie ever come back to his faith?
Lisa
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute, Christian "chick-lit" read. Storyline is based on the months leading up to Elvis' death in Memphis at Baptist Memorial Hospital where he would stay as a "guest". Good story lines with characters, a little romance, a Vietnam veteran and faith as well. Quick read!
Sheila Siler
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful story that was easy to read and enjoyable to follow. While it was fictional, it had enough history to be believable, though there is that Elvis twist . . .

I enjoyed this author very much and look forward to reading more of her work.
Lyndee S. Pitiak
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable

What a great read! I quickly got into the story and the characters. It took me back to growing up in the 70s and to what I was doing when I heard the news of Elvis'death. The end of the book is enough to make you smile and wonder.
Lisa
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! I enjoy Christian fiction and I enjoy humor. Books that include all these elements seem to be pretty rare. I really liked Diane Moody's writing style and will seek out more of her books.
Ginny
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book; great trip down memory lane! (Except the casinos were NOT in Tunica at the time of Elvis' death!). Great light read; I liked it better than the first book in this series.
Mike Lubenow
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because it had something to do with my Beloved Elvis. I really got into the story line and was

Had a Christian theme thru it which I really enjoyed and the story line hooked me. I really enjoyed this read.
Katy Jackson
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good

I really enjoy Diane Moody's books! I feel like her writing is very down to earth and relatable. This book was not what I expected, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it flowed.
Roxanne Cline
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok read, nothing to sink your teeth into, occasionally religious overtones and references.
Kim
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute book, very predictable, and happily ever after.
Norma
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I have enjoyed ALL of the books I have read from this author.

• Roses Will Bloom Again: And Emma's Heart Will Never Be the Same
  • The Happiest Season
  • Noble Pursuits
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • The Fall (The Rapha Chronicles, #1)
  • Toward A New Beginning (Arkansas Valley, #1)
  • Getting the Important Things Right
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Upper Zoo
  • Love's Stormy Gale
  • In God's Eyes
  • Thorns in Eden / The Everlasting Mountains
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
  • The Narrow Path
  • Beautiful on the Mountain: An Inspiring True Story
  • The Relationship Shoppe
  • Travelers Rest
Born in Texas and raised in Oklahoma, Diane Hale Moody is a graduate of Oklahoma State University. She lives with her husband Ken in the rolling hills just outside of Nashville. They are the proud parents of two grown and extraordinary children, Hannah and Ben.

Just after moving to Tennessee in 1999, Diane felt the tug of a long-neglected passion to write again. Since then, she's written a column f

Moody Blue (2 books)
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)