Start by marking “The S-Word” as Want to Read:

The S-Word

First it was SLUT scribbled all over Lizzie Hart’s locker.

But one week after Lizzie kills herself, SUICIDE SLUT replaces it—in Lizzie's looping scrawl.

Lizzie’s reputation is destroyed when she's caught in bed with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. With the whole school turned against her, and Angie not speaking to her, Lizzie takes her own life. But
Paperback, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The S-Word, please sign up.
Taylor No it's not just the locker, it's the torment and bullying from the classmates as well that play a part. I definitely suggest reading the book (if you…moreNo it's not just the locker, it's the torment and bullying from the classmates as well that play a part. I definitely suggest reading the book (if you haven't yet, of course). (less)

Start your review of The S-Word
Emily May
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013, young-adult, arc

Oh dear, my 2013 reading has not kicked off the way I hoped it would. That one star which you see there is for nothing more than good intentions. I think. Though that's a bit sketchy too. Okay, let's just say that the one star you see is for what I THINK the author's intentions were but, in the end, this book was one hot mess of strained dialogue, awkward similes and a style of writing that I simply couldn't enjoy no matter how hard I tried. It's really such a shame because the idea had so muc
Keertana
As you can probably guess from the fact that I started The S-Word a little over an hour ago, I skimmed through this novel. Even I can't read a three-hundred page novel so quickly. Now, having finished this debut, all I can think is that it would have been far more suited to the hands of a more experienced writer. For a debut novel, The S-Word lacks finesse. I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is, but something about the writing style in this didn't work for me. Although it is evident that the vision that Pitc ...more
Sandra
I've seen the not so favorable reviews, stating clunky dialogue, cliches and hard to read writing style, but to me the writing style actually reinforced the anger and pain contained in this book, the anger and pain the protagonist goes through. Yes, the author used cliches but to me, a cliche is based on real life. And the events described in the book - they do happen in real life. Isn't the purpose of a book also to open our eyes to the bad things? It can't all be flowers and chocolates all the ...more
Jasprit

The S-Word was a story which didn’t sit well with some of my blogging friend’s early reviews. But despite the not so promising reviews I decided to give it a try to see what it was all about. And I’m glad that I did, as a story which repeatedly squeezes your heart and surprises you with its twists and turns is definitely worth a go.

Angie’s best friend Lizzie commits suicide after being branded a slut at school for sleeping with Angie’s boyfriend Drake. She’s publically humi
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
Even though my rating doesn't really show it, THE S-WORD is a book that I really enjoyed. It's not perfect, as my rating shows, but it's very enjoyable. I would love to give THE S-WORD a full 4 star rating or even a nice shiny five star rating but I can't because it's my job as a reviewer to look deeper into a book. I've given plenty of books an initial 5 star rating and then dropped it to 4 or 3 (once I dropped a rating from 5 to 1 star) after I thought about it.

The beginning of the book was a
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Oh, wow. This book has made a lasting impression on me.

First of, the main character, Angie is one heck of a girl! She caught her best friend sleeping with her boyfriend on prom night and turned her back on both of them. She doesn't seem great? Bear with me. I'll get to the good part. While Angie's ex didn't get much heat, her best friend Lizzie was bullied on every turn. Lizzie was branded a slut while she was a good and gentle girl her whole life.

Bullying is not cool people! It sucks! It make
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
This book was a sleeper: tremendously surpassed my expectations. I predict this will be a huge hit among the readers who, for example, like myself, loved "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer."

Review of The S Word by Chelsea Pitcher
5 stars

I reviewed a complimentary e-book copy via NetGalley.

“The S Word” was truly a sleeper for me. I selected it to read for review because of the suicide of the central character (Lizzie is central, even though she is already decea
Stacia (the 2010 club)
May 07, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
I finally had to take this off my currently reading after trying on multiple occasions to get into the book and finding that my wind was wandering.

I honestly tried. The S-Word could very well be a wonderfully written story and I might have missed out. It just wasn't in the cards (or possibly timing) for me.
Heidi
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Three stars: A tough read that explores the dangers of bullying.

Angie sees the words Suicide Slut scribbled across her dead best friend's locker and her heart clenches. She feels responsible because it was her boyfriend that Lizzie was caught with on prom night. Perhaps if she had just tried to understand and forgive things would be different, but now it is too late. When pages from Lizzie's journal start circulating and Suicide Slut begins appearing around the school in Lizzie's loopy handwriting, Angie deci
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh man. I had such high hopes for this book but it failed to deliver in almost every way.

The main problem I had with The S Word was that couldn't connect with the main character, and I find if I can't do that then the book is basically a bust. She was boring and two dimensional and a right old drama llama. I would have cheerfully punched her at times. Her internal monologue was awful - cliched and whiny and tedious. And you know how Show-don't-tell is a thing? Well this MC did both. She'd show
Shayna
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
In short, Chelsea Pitcher’s debut was an awkward, sloppy mess.

In…well, long, I think I’ll start by saying what I think her intentions were before explaining why this book just didn’t work for me. I think Pitcher meant to write a story about the dangers of bullying; how it affects the victim, and how it affects everyone involved. When I started reading, I was hoping that maybe Pitcher would discuss the double standard for boys and girls where the word “slut” is concerned, because obvi
Tanecia
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
"They are speaking for me.

SLUT.

"Couldn't they, at least pick a word that means something?

Ask a hundred people the meaning of that word and you'll hear a hundred answers. It means absolutely nothing. But the moment it is unleashed, it changes me. They look at me differently, all of them. As if I am no longer human. As if I am somehow a monster to be destroyed.

These things I have feared about myself now they are telling me.

And still, I sit up in the night, willing the word to rearrange so that this will have all been a d
Katrina Welsh
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Find more reviews at I Have Lived a Thousand Lives

When I heard of The S Word, I thought, "Oh my God. This is going to be one of the great ones." The synopsis and the file and the cover looked so promising. But upon closer inspection, you realize it's just fool's gold and you're pissed because you got played. But, hey, at least have you this pretty shiny thing. You have no use for it, but nothing you can do.

I'm not always so keen on reading issue-y books. The writing can so easily turn
Dianne
Remember high school? Peer pressure? This is the story of how one innocent girl is tormented to the point of suicide and how her best friend and worst tormentor learns from her own guilt at turning her back on someone who needed her most.

Angie caught her best friend, Lizzie in bed with her boyfriend on prom night. At that point, she turned her back on Lizzie, thinking only the worst. As the school bullied Lizzie, Angie went along with it, until she read Lizzie's diary and learned of
Kala
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
*I received a free copy of this book via netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review - thank you!*

Also posted on my blog at:
Kala's Book Blog

I've made it halfway through and I just can't continue. This book is bad. Really bad.

Teenage suicide is a big deal. It's a huge problem in the United States that doesn't get the attention it deserves. There are some REALL
Lottie Eve
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I had a hard time deciding what I thought about this book. I could tell that Pitcher had good intentions when writing this book but I think that The S-Word could have been so much better if it was put into the hands of an experienced writer. I am not saying that The S-Word isn’t an enjoyable book. I actually blew through this book in a fairly quick amount of time. I just feel like this book could have been oh so much more than just enjoyable.

The Story

Lizzie’s reputations is ruined whe/>The
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it

So, The S-Word was a major let down. The blurb sounded promising and the idea was good - it really had the potential to be a great story. It was full of awkward wording, forced dialogue and it was just something I couldn't enjoy and I struggled to get through the book - and I'm a fast reader. The idea had such great potential and it was one of the books I was most looking forward to receiving when I requested it on NetGalley but alas, it was a severe disappointment.

I didn't like this book
Naoms
Originally Posted on Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

Decades ago, before blockbusters and television, there were these black and white movies about guys who wore trench coats, talked really fast and fell in love with bombshells with big secrets. Film Noir is a specialized genre of fiction that has inspired many student films and Indies like “Brick” starring Joseph Gordon Levitt. Someone is dead or something valuable is missing or a wife wants to know if her old man is stepping out on
Bee
*I received an ARC-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

First, I must say that I won't be talking about the characters very much because I can't do that without spoilers and since this is an ARC copy, I won't spoil anything. So if you want to talk or rant or fangirl about this book and it's characters, please send me a message! I need someone to talk with about this book, lol.

The S-word is the brilliantly written debut of Chelsea Pitcher and I ca/>The
Sarah Marie
The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher

2 stars

Lizzie Hart faced the word SLUT scribbled on her locker and then one scribbled turned to several. One week after Lizzie kills herself SUICIDE SLUT replaces it in Lizzie’s perfect scrawl. Lizzie’s reputation was trashed when she was caught sleeping with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. Angie doesn’t speak to Lizzie and the school turns against her. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie’s diary are plastered around the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who mstars
LizziePitcher

Lizzie Hart faced the word SLUT scribbled on her locker and then one scribbled turned to several. One week after Lizzie kills herself SUICIDE SLUT replaces it in Lizzie’s perfect scrawl. Lizzie’s reputation was trashed when she was caught sleeping with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. Angie doesn’t speak to Lizzie and the school turns against her. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie’s diary are plastered around the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who made Lizzie decide that life wasn’t worth living anymore. I definitely didn’t hate this book, but I didn’t really like it. The S-Word reminded of me a Lifetime movie- and not the good ones. While I don’t hate The S-Word, I’m also not sure if I liked it. I sped through reading it, but while I was reading I would come across things that bothered me. Some of them I noted and others were just too trivial to take note of.

The main female character is Angie. Angie is a very cynical girl. I also didn’t really like her and the more the book progressed I just liked her less and less. I don’t understand why exactly Angie turned this into a big who-did-it search, but it seemed pointless to me. Angie shut Lizzie out after the scandal and I didn’t think it was fair to bring drag something like this out. I was always wary of Angie and her motives. She’s a very unreliable character. Probably one of the most unreliable characters I’ve encountered as of late. I love unreliable characters, but I don’t feel that Angie was portrayed well enough for me to buy into her story or her motives.
“I’ll graduate high school with a major in Cynicism and a minor in Irritation.”

Kick-Butt Heroine Scale: 2

The main male character is Jesse. Jesse is a cross-dressing teenager and of course Angie just had to fall in lurve with him and it would be crazy for him not to return the feelings.

I love my books with romance and lots of romance, but don’t put romance in there if there is absolutely no need for romance. Jesse isn’t a bad character, but I feel like he more of a prop for a story. Although , I like him wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than any of the other characters.

Swoon Worthy Scale: 3.5

The Villain- It is a mystery of who is dragging out Lizzie’s past, but I feel like I should’ve known that ending was coming and in some ways the thought flittered through my mind. I just didn’t think she would take that route because I knew it wouldn’t work with this book.

Villain Scale: 4.5

Lizzie is what really drives this book. By this I mean if Lizzie hadn’t killed herself The S-Word would have no plot or purpose. Lizzie is a typical trope for every Lifetime movie surrounding a dead friend. Everything in her diary I saw coming. (view spoiler) One thing that really bothered me was a flashback of Lizzie’s torment.
“A week before Lizzie died, a group of senior girls decided to teach her a lesion about taking off her clothes at improper times. Each time they caught her alone in the halls, they attempted to snip off a piece of her outfit. In reality, very few girls managed to snag a decent piece of fabric, but it didn’t matter much. By the end of the week, the mere snapping of scissors made Lizzie seize up in terror.”
You’re telling me not one teacher or counselor saw this? I find this really hard to believe since they mention pretty heavy security on campus. What pisses me off even more is that Angie being a so-called friend let Lizzie being submitted to this cruelty and she can still think that she has the right to consider herself ever a friend. Friends don’t abandon someone so easily. Lizzie didn’t deserve that or any of the horrible things that were done to her.

Character Scale: 4

While I appreciate what this book was trying to tackle, I feel that Ms. Pitcher didn’t do a very strong job of it. It’s a pity because I had high hopes for this book, but it doesn’t live up to any of my expectations. Some of them were fleetingly touched and then she would do something that would make me shake my head. I’m just disappointed by this book and it’s as simple as that.

Cover Thoughts: My favorite thing about the whole book. I wish I had a physical copy just for the cover alone.

Thank you, Netgalley and Gallery Books for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sha
Have you ever read a book and then, somehow, forgotten everything about the plot and characters and meaning to the story but retained a single emotion from your reading? An emotion so powerful you either knew that book was the best thing you ever read … or the worst?

That was my experience with The S-Word. I can’t quite say when I first read this book, but it was more than three years ago. Something about the book left a bad taste in my mouth because I refused to ever touch it again. Yet here I am, reviewi
Jenn
This book was extremely difficult for me to rate. I ended up rating it a solid 3, right down the middle because I felt I couldn’t give it higher, but I didn’t want to give it less because of the subject matter it dealt with. I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did because that plot sounded amazing. But alas, the original plot ended up buried beneath choppy dialogue and some Nancy Drew/Scooby Doo like mystery with twists and an ending you could see coming a mile away.

On the night
Jillyn
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: requested, ebook, blog
After she was caught in a hotel room on prom night with her best friend's boyfriend, Lizzie is labelled as the school slut. The students taunt her, and her locker becomes riddled with that word, over and over again. Slut. Shortly after, Lizzie commits suicide. Her best friend, Angie, cannot let sleeping dogs lie and begins to dig into the secrets of the school's student body, unraveling them bit by bit in an attempt to find out what really led Lizzie to end her life, and who was behind it. But c ...more
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content

My Thoughts:

I was nervous about reading The S-Word at first because it didn't have any werewolves, vampires, or demon battling slayer in it and that is usually my go to books. My comfort zone if you will. But I was definitely intrigued reading the synopsis and I have to say I am so happy that I decided to take a chance.

I feel absolutely changed from reading The S-Word. For me, this was a very powerful piece of literature that really makes the reader take a deep dark l
Judith
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
(Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)

First thought
Innnnnteresting.

More thoughts
What surprised me most about The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher was how very dark it was. Though the beginning of the book wasn't at all light, after about 40% it started to get so dark and complex that I was both intrigued and appalled by what was happening (and more importantly: what had happened before). I had some trouble finding myself in the story at first, because there were so many different characters and storyli/>First
Kristen Jett
Short Review
I cried. I gasped. I ached. I was inspired.

Full Review
As reviewed on PenandMuse.com
I was intrigued immediately from the synopsis of The S-Word. Is it a mystery? Is there a ghost? What really happened to Lizzie? When I actually got my grabby hands on the ARC, I was blown away. At one point I emailed Chelsea Pitcher to say “I am in full blown tears reading THE S-WORD. Also, I love you for this book. Sheer love.”

Authors: if your book gets me declaring love for you, you
Patty
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chelsea Pitcher

My "in a nutshell" summary...

Mean girls...bullies...suicide...mysterious notes...a quest for the truth...the loss of a friend.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Angie and Lizzie are friends...best friends...until Angie finds Lizzie hooking up with Lizzie's boyfriend, Drake, at prom. Angie can not forgive. Then...Lizzie is tormented and bullied at school. Angie doesn't help her...and Lizzie takes her own lif
Lydia
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abuse, sexuality, mystery
Characters: The protagonist, Angie, is all over the place. It's understandable for her to be confused after everything that happened, but she doesn't really seem to know what she's doing. Lizzie was branded a slut for sleeping with one guy, so she is painted by Angie as a perfectly innocent angelic character who would never be capable of expressing sexuality, which was unbelievable. Jesse was interesting, but Angie's relationship with him was rather sudden and odd. There wasn't enough background to Drake t ...more
Tanja
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Angie and Lizzie were best friends, until Angie caught her boyfriend Drake cheating on her with Lizzie. After being branded a slut by whole school, Lizzie commits suicide.

This books starts a couple of weeks after Lizzie's death. It follows Angie as she tries to figure out exactly what happened and whose fault is it that Lizzie committed suicide. Angie lies and manipulates people to get what she wants from them. She questions everyone around her: her ex-boyfriend Drake, the weirdo of the school
AdriAnne
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE S-WORD is full of possibilities, with twists and turns both good and bad that let the reader take what they will from the story. I love that the “s-word” itself can stand for so many things: slut, suicide, secret, shame, etc. And yet other words come to mind in relation to some of the amazing characters: sweet, smart, sassy, surprising….

THE S-WORD is both dark and hopeful, shocking and seductive, and about revenge and redemption. It’s not a story for the faint of heart, and yet, it is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Consequences of Sin (Ursula Marlowe Mystery #1)
  • The End of Everything
  • Luna
  • Between Mom and Jo
  • Wicked Little Secrets (Prep School Confidential, #2)
  • Ten
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince
  • Fault Line
  • Premeditated
  • Tease
  • The Girl Who Knew Too Much: What If the Loved One You Lost Were to Come Back?
  • Afterparty
  • The Merciless III: Origins of Evil (The Merciless, #3)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • One Was Lost
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga, #2)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
Chelsea Pitcher is a karaoke-singing, ocean-worshipping Oregonian with a penchant for twisty mysteries. She is the author of THE S-WORD, THE LAST CHANGELING & THE LAST FAERIE QUEEN.

Watch for her new YA thriller, THIS LIE WILL KILL YOU, coming December 11, 2018 from S&S/McElderry!

Agent: Mandy Hubbard
“Tell me you're sorry.
Tell me you don't hate me enough to hurt me this way.”
14 likes
“I'll graduate high school with a major in Cynicism & a minor in Irritation.” 10 likes