Start by marking “Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA” as Want to Read:
Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA

Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA

Welcome to the Revised and Expanded Edition of the New York Times bestseller. The New Edition includes astonishing photos that NASA is unable to cover-up of architectural formations on the Moon and Mars.
Published October 16th 2007 by Feral House (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Mission

Start your review of Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
Kirsten
May 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Richard C. Hoagland is a real piece of work. The guy believes that the "Face on Mars" is a sculpture (despite all evidence to the contrary) and that it's surrounded by a ruined Martian city. He believes there are the remains of crystaline ruins on the Moon, and the reason the astronauts don't remember seeing them is that they've been brainwashed. Furthermore, the Real Truth about ancient alien civilizations is being suppressed by NASA, which is under the control of some kind of mystery cult. ...more
Owlseyes
Jun 27, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ufoseeker
Shelves: astronomy

Last Friday (19th of June) I had read that Russia wanted an "international investigation" on the "obscure moon landings" of the period 1969-1972.

After watching the documentary ("Moon Rising") by Jose Escamilla, you'll certainly be in the position of wanting to know more and quite suspicious on the pictorial narrative you've been fed so far.

In the words of Mike Bara, who was prompted by the research of Richard Hoagland, you'll start wondering about a "secret space program", a populated
Jake
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's easy to dismiss the authors' claims of artifacts of intelligent design on the moon and Mars as well as the existence of three "secret society" factions embedded in NASA in its earlier years when the information is just blatantly presented. I've read Hoagland's earlier work, The Monuments of Mars, and I must admit that his research tactics and reasoning have remained consistent in the twenty or so years since that book was published. Do I believe everything that the authors claim in this new ...more
Kimber
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ufology
Richard Hoagland is most famous as the science advisor who brought forth to the masses the "face on Mars" photographic evidence. He since has specialized in esoteric information involving the NASA space program. However, in order to find the facts and actual evidence you must wade through a terribly tedious and even narcissistic writing style to get to these theories. Hoagland does present a great deal of factual testimony, but at the same time he can be illogical and irrelevelant, pedantic and ...more
Les Gehman
Nov 13, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
O.K. I bought this book from hamiltonbook.com because the description sounded interesting. (BTW, hamiltonbook.com rocks, it's not their fault that this book is a crock of shit.) I didn't notice who the author was. Richard Hoagland is a fucking quack. It's a decade after the "face" on Mars has been thoroughly de-bunked and he's still trying to sell this shit. He's a fucking idiot. I'll still probably read this book just to see how whacked out it is. But I'm sure there's no astronomy or ...more
John
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I honestly don't know what to say about this book's truth-quotient. I DO know that NASA and other listed agencies ARE connected to secret societies, this has been independently verified by other sources. NASA is more interested in keeping things hidden, why else did Matlin peter out the Mars pictures, and why go to such links to make the "litter box" version of the Face on Mars if it isn't anything let the unalterated picture speak to itself and why show Mars as redder than it REALLY is? These ...more
Justin
Jan 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm a complete sucker for this kind of book and when I saw it at the Liberty Science Center, I just had to buy it.

But after reading, I'm a bit disappointed. To really do this kind of book right, you have to go the full crazy. And Hoagland and Bara only go about 60% crazy. I'm in no position to judge the scientific aspects of their thesis - alternate modes of physics really aren't my bag, nor are photographic enhancement techniques. As for the political aspects (essentially that if NASA found
Frank
May 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Hoagland is a menace. His credentials are over-exaggerated and his NASA theories are harmful to the actual good that the organization produces. No government agency is without sin, but this isn't the book to go looking for factual dark secrets.

Hoagland sets himself up as a purveyor of scientific theories but he is not a scientist and thus is free from third-party verification and peer reviews. He uses distorted satellite imagery to back up his creepy claims.

Domes on the moon. The face on Mars.
Elsie
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first time I saw a picture of the "Face on Mars", if I remember correctly was sometime in 1997, when I was at the bookshop browsing through Graham Hancock's new release "The Mars Mystery". Must say, at the time,the topic didn't catch my interest, and I didn't feel the need to read the book. Nevertheless, that picture of the "Face" was interesting...

Then, sometime in 2004, when I was reading "The Lost Book of Enki" by Zecharia Sitchin, which through exhaustive research of primary sources,
Steve
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
OK, so I like to occasionally read on the fringe conspiracy theory books, so shoot me. I may not even buy into the ideas but it does make for an interesting read now and then.
Richard C. Hoaglands latest book Dark Mission deals with NASAs hidden agenda in the space program and what they choose to to tell or not tell the public about the moon and Mars.
Honestly, some of the pictures Hoagland claims as proof of "ruins" on the moon just look like pixelated fuzz to me, however, at the very least
Gerald
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lee Ann
rarely do I not finish a book no matter how slow it is. This is the rare choice, I will be sending it back to the library about half done and no interest in getting it again. This is a leave on the shelf for me. Pages of convoluted sentences and I am not sure I get the point. Not one for me.
Thomas Sheridan
May 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Made up rubbish for the most part.
Dante
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Full of revelations concerning the real men, reasons and objectives behind NASA. Did you know the first flag on the moon was NOT the US stars and stripes, but a Freemasons ritual flag? True.
Cody
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s interesting...not true, but it’s still interesting hahahaha
Guy McElwaine
This entire book is a paranoid fantasy, expressing nothing other than the authors' bizarre hatred of NASA and utter ignorance of science. Neither of them has any training in science, and neither of them has ever conducted a scientific experiment in his life. On page 224 Richard Hoagland describes himself as a scientist, but this is, in common with most of its context, arrogant nonsense. If you, too, are a NASA-hater, you'll probably enjoy this book and you probably won't care that it is ...more
B. Wilson
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nasa, occult, space
O.K.. There are conspiracy theories and then there are conspiracy theories, but this one could be the mother of all conspiracy theories. The publisher lists the book as "non-fiction" ...I don't know, I'm really struggling here. There seems to be such a mix of truth and fiction in the book that it's hard to tell where one begins and another leaves off. I love grail mythology and "Dark Mission" sort of fits into the genre, but this is a mythology that seems to absorb every other popular conspiracy ...more
B. Reese
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-books
Hoagland puts forth many very interesting ideas and theories in this book. Unfortunately, his proof does not stray far from either of those and a pinch of circumstantial evidence or conspiracy theory.

I enjoyed reading the book, and it did convince me, briefly, that NASA had covered up the habitability of Mars and alien presence in the solar system. Unfortunately, I later found out that Hoadgland used pseudoscience to bolster his claim.

The ideas in this book would have made an epic sci-fi
T
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I think the guy has some points and I emphasize "some". I would give it 2 stars for the effort put in the research, though it appears clearer and clearer towards the end of the book that such research is biased, and one star for entertainment. I think he'd have been better to write a fiction novel. The truth is that no one has evidence enough to suggest that there are extraterrestrial biologic entities though I am sure there is life out there (assuming that there are at least 10,000 earth like ...more
Anthony
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: conspiracy, ufos
I read this as a favor to a friend who gave me the book. Frankly, I found it ridiculous. The artifacts on Mars and the moon I find rather unbelievable,but it's the part where he tries to tie in the Kennedy assassination where he really lost me. He doesn't even attempt to explain why Oswald would be involved in a conspiracy involving alien ruins on the moon, which might have at least upped the entertainment factor. Instead there was an overabundance of shifty math and pseudoscience. The book was ...more
Roger
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who grew up in the shadow of the space program in Cape Canaveral, this book was bittersweet. I'm glad to live in a country that still allows writers to express divergent opinions (like those in this book), but I'm disappointed that, after reading this book, it's hard to see the American space program in the same light.

Although I do not agree with all of the authors' conclusions, I can agree with their primary claim that NASA is not always forthcoming with the truth and that it fails
Michael Roop
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is something special. In that wow kind of way or the kid on the short bus drooling on the window. Some of the theories in this book are far fetched. FAR FETCHED. I'll give it to Hoagland though, he was able to make a good supportive case for them. Other of the theories and actual for real history's in this book were amazing. The public and government communication channels the shuttle has and it's reason. The what can only be called alien contact cover ups...really, really savage. This ...more
Tom Kenis
May 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
If anything this book is an ode to the human brain's impressive ability to impose structure where there is only static and chaos. We are somehow very adept at pointing out amazing coincidences even if these are thrown up by a near infinity of random occurrences. It's literally how living beings survive. As for the book's central thesis; Nasa's cover-up of alien artifacts on the Moon and Mars and its connection to the Egyptian pantheon.... Mmm, I dunno.
Then again, it's not a question of whether
Adam Stallman
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A very thought provoking read. Toward the end of this book I started losing interest because I saw in the news that the author had been discredited on some other works. A lot of the subjects are pretty unbelievable but he does a very good job at being convincing. I went ahead and gave it three starts because it was entertaining but I did not feel comfortable rating it higher because I'm not sure whether this is really a non-fiction or fiction book.
Dji
Mar 10, 2008 added it
It's a report on the discrepancies in NASA's public posture and the possible cover-up of Moon and Mars information that needs to be investigated. I learned that I find conspiracy books much more interesting than fiction. Fiction creates situations and characters to tell a story. Non-fiction tells true stories. Conspiracy fiction tells a story and offers it as truth by connection to selected real facts.
Vin Forte
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of Hoagland's claims are very out there, but the bulk of this book is a surprisingly grounded and intriguing read. I feel like many of us already assume some covering up of *something* by NASA and this book is a great introduction to those avenues. Whether you want to see a lot of it as speculative fiction, pure fact, or something in-between; this is an entertaining ride none the less meant to make you ask questions and be more active in demanding transparency.
Barbara Moroch
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I love a good conspiracy theory. However, this book has way too many words -- way too many technical abstracts. I know that Hoagland is dismissed by the scientific community as being a crack-pot, but I do believe there are some elements -- some -- of his claims, that are valid and worth exploring further.
Julie
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this book has some good information and is well worth reading. I found it very technical in some aspects and took my time reading and re-reading sections to make sure I understood what the author was conveying to me. I only have a plain kindle and the photos - especially color ones were difficult to decipher.
Mike Smith
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: conspiracy
A very unorthodox look at the history of NASA. Some of the theories presented are well thought out while others are way out there. Very tough to read on the Kindle because the images are placed at the end of the chapter instead of being placed in the text. I would recommend the paper version over a digital one.
Steve
Oct 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: gain knowledge
Some of this book is hard to believe. Some of it makes perfect sense. It includes everything from the nazis, to the assasination of JFK. It shows the flawed ideals that people have become comfortable with. Dark Mission touches the very dark side of corruption in NASA. I have Finished the book and I feel more educated on conspiracies than ever before...

• The Boy on the Wooden Box
  • Gonzo Girl
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
  • Killer Stuff and Tons of Money: Seeking History and Hidden Gems in Flea-Market America
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Rule of Two (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #2)
  • Become What You Are
  • Path of Destruction (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #1)
  • Science for Sale: How the US Government Uses Powerful Corporations and Leading Universities to Support Government Policies, Silence Top Scientists, Jeopardize Our Health, and Protect Corporate Profits
  • Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3)
  • Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Into the Void
  • Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Journey to Ixtlan
  • Secret Societies: Inside the Worlds's Most Notorious Organizations
  • Lou Reed: A Life
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
American author, and a proponent of various theories about NASA, lost alien civilizations on the Moon and on Mars and other related topics.

His writings claim that advanced civilizations exist or once existed on the Moon, Mars and on some of the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and that NASA and the United States government have conspired to keep these facts secret.

One of his most known theories is the