Start by marking “Dead Running” as Want to Read:
Dead Running

Dead Running (Run #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  536 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Cassidy Christensen is running. Running from the mercenaries who killed her parents. Running from a scheming redhead intent on making her life miserable. Running from painful memories that sabotage her dreams of happiness. With two very tempting men competing for her attention, she hopes she'll finally have someone to run to, but can she trust either of them? When secrets ...more
Published April 25th 2012 by Birch River Publishing (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Running

Sheila
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cami Checkett's new book, Dead Running, is about a runner, but your heart will also be running fast as you read this story! You are kept on constant edge as Cassidy's life is in danger. To compound things, she also doesn't know who the good and bad guys are. Cami does an awesome job of blurring the lines of suspicion, where eventually you think everyone is out to get Cassidy, the main character.

Speaking of Cassidy...wow! She is a "kick-'butt" gal who pushes the limit and doesn't give up. As I r
Sheila DeChantal
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is it about running? It can relieve a days stress, it can clear your head.... shoot it can ease a lifetime of sorrows, and for Cassidy Christensen, it can help her escape.

Cassidy is haunted with memories of the senseless murder of her parents, and now running has taken her to a new level of "escape" that she did not realize she needed, or wanted until she started to run.

RUN.

When Cassidy starts training for a Marathon (which she didn't want) and captures the attention of two very interesting
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dead Running is infused with inherent conflict. Page one had me hooked. Setting, tension, character: this book accomplished so much right from the get go. Author Cami Checketts has a distinctive voice, and MC Cassidy Christensen is a character anyone can empathize with. I loved—loved!— reading about the races Cassie runs because I have run several of them. It was so fun to feel a part of the setting. The story took on more of a romantic tone as the story played out and it had a nice twist in the ...more
Vicki
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dead Running can make a claim not many mystery/thrillers can, and that is that it is also really funny. While Cassidy is training, she runs across quite a few characters that are, well…characters. Each of them have their own quirky personalities, and Cami Checketts did a great job of making them grow on you. Even the bad guys are interesting and humorous at times. And Cassidy gave them some great nicknames that made them so easy to follow. I never found myself thinking “which character is that?” ...more
Katie W
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having grown up in Cache Valley, I could totally picture the places that Cassidy (Cassie) ran. When different streets, towns, landmarks, etc were mentioned, I was there!

Cassie wins an entry in a marathon and begins training--having hardly any running experience! She runs into some crazy characters and some scary situations that seem to be related to her parents murders a few years earlier.

I was not expecting the humor in this story. Cassie had funny nicknames for everyone (Hot Redhead, Dr. Tatt
Kathryn
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great unpredictable mystery and clean romance. I loved the spunky, sassy personality of Cassidy has. She is so refreshing and real. I can't wait to read more of the journey that Jesse and her hopefully have.
Mark Matthews
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it

I picked up Dead Running after seeing it on various running blogs. As a runner and marathoner, (and author of a marathoning novel, The Jade Rabbit) I love the idea of the conflicts in a protagonist's life increasing as they are training for a marathon, and all of it coming to a head during the final run. This is a great reflection of how marathoning works, and the best parts of Dead Running, for me, were when the character's training and her life circumstances matched. The novel is actually told
Charity Bradford
First of all, I read this in a day. I love a book that pulls me in and keeps me to the end. There came a point when I had to put the book down and take my daughter to the dentist. No worries, right? All I had to do was drive and then I could read again in the waiting room. Her appointment took seven minutes. Seven stinking minutes!

The worst part was I had reached the point where all the players were in motion and I was just waiting to see how it fell into place. That was the LONGEST drive home e
Lexie
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I personally think that the book's description is a little misleading. Though the storyline is all there, it fails to describe the humorous side that made me fall in love with the book! I so enjoyed the lighthearted edge lining everything from being chased by murderous "Muscle Men" to swooning over "Dr. Tattoo". It was such a fun read and left me wanting more!

One of my favorite parts of this book was the characters, especially the main character Cassidy (Cassie) Christensen. She is hilarious! He
Emily
Cassidy Christensen is the type of person to roll with the punches. After seeing her Dad brutally attacked, later to have both parents murdered, Cassidy could have crawled into a hole. Instead Cassidy has lead a crooked path but her life is full at the moment, even if past memories haunt her. That is precisely why she agrees to participate in a 5K run, not expecting to earn an entry into St. George’s marathon later in the year. Did I mention Cassidy is not a runner, but her mind is made up after ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Cassie is facing her fears and conquering stagnant life by running.

The book begins as Cassie and her sister-in-law are running a 5K. Her participation and finishing the race are a feat for her. She has a tendency to quit things that she starts. After the race she wins a prize in the drawing, she won an entry into a marathon. WooHoo??? The best part is there is an attractive man who has agreed to train with others competing in the race.

There were a few other complications during and after the ra
Deborah
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I am so disappointed in myself because I really enjoyed this book and I could of read it a few months ago for our amazing book club "Happy Ever After: Book club" selection. But alas life got busy and I didn't read it. Until my friend Val(thanks Val) whole heartily recommended it and I am so glad she did. I really enjoyed this book and had such a hard time putting it down.

The story intrigued me right away and through out the whole thing I kept questioning how it was going to tu
Emily Alburns
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This ebook was provided by the author for an honest review.

Dead Running starts off with a bang and keeps on running, no pun intended! Cami Checketts combines mystery and romance in a fast paced page turner that I could not put down. While the action is occurring, you also have a young woman who is struggling to find her purpose in life. Cassidy has had multiple jobs, her own business and still feels as if she is missing something. She feels she may have found a direction to go in life when she w
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review
Ooh. Ooh! Do you love a good romantic suspense? A bit of heart pounding excitement and a few toe curling kisses? Then ooh, ooh! This would be the book for you. And, if you really love some steamy kisses, then the short story (Dying to Run) is even more the book for you!

In Dead Running, Cassidy is training to run a marathon. She does a lot of running. It seems like she is running for most of the book which honestly just makes me tired. But Cassie is some kind of tough chick and pushes through all
Jennifer Hughes
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a fun book! I don't often read contemporary fiction because I've bee disappointed by it too many times--either too racy or too cheesy. This book was a wonderfully surprising exception. The action and suspense were well-paced, and there's also some romance that is also fun. (perfect for friends like Alyson, oh did I say that out loud?) The dialogue is smart and believable, and the characters are fleshed out well. I especially enjoyed getting to know the saucy main character Cassidy.

I ca
Sarah Buerger
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a little embarrassed to say how mug I enjoyed this book. Let me say, however, that since I'm training for a marathon, the running angle pulled me in. If not for that, I might not have enjoyed it as much.

Hal Higdon (marathon guru) wrote a mystery involving running and I would say this book is like Hal meets Janet Evonovich. The main character is definitely a feisty, funny woman which is also right up my alley.

I'm going to read the sequel at some point, but right now I think I need to redeem m
Carole
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fast pace book worth reading. It has a little romance and a lot of suspense. The reader doesn't know who if anyone the main character, Cassie should trust. At times it seems everyone is against her, but the heroes keep changing. I liked Cassie. She is spunky and brave and is always sticking her foot in her mouth.
Joyce
A light, fast, humorous read with romance and suspense. The main character was funny and off-the-wall. Loved the nicknames she came up with for other characters, lent her a nice, quirky touch.
Valerie Waters
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Cassidy was so funny and witty! I liked the twists and surprises. Plus it may have motivated me to start running again.
Stacey
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can’t believe I had left this book in my “to be read” pile for so long! Once I got started I so did not want to put it down. Suspense, romance & witty humour all combined together with twists & turns to keep you guessing = a great story! Plus plenty of leeway for a sequel ;) if you haven’t read any from this author before then you’re in for a real treat - I had to work really hard not to skip to the ending & give the game away to myself. This story was definitely worth keeping the ...more
Suzanne Borcherds
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and interesting story

Fun and interesting dialogue. I found myself laughing out loud at the antics of the female character. I
empathized with her training regime and enjoyed reading about how real to life this training is. There was enough suspense in the story to keep my attention. Fun read that I would definitely recommend.
Nicki
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I have read several books by this author. I have to say I think this is my favorite! There is so much going on. I like the twists at the end,the humor scattered throughout, and the touches of romance. Love the crazy names. Dr Tattoo was the best. Overall a super story!
Shelley Wahls
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, but it does leave a little unsaid at the end that makes you need to buy the next book, that is not my favorite thing. I like a book to END, and then I can choose if I want to read more. This is not exactly a cliff hanger, but kind of.
Kay
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Really liked this booked. Stood up to hype!! Great characters that were well developed and evolved over course of book. Plot was strong and twisted which kept you wanting more. Looking forward to next in series!
Kimberly
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. The characters were well thought out. The nicknaming that the main character freely gave wasn't too much either. Her personality and quippy style of communicating was on point and just enough to keep me turning the page.

Great jog Ms Cami!
MARILYN HOLLINGSWORTH
Dead Running not Dead Just Sick

I hope you don't think this book is sick, cause it's not. Actually, it is a pretty good story. I do have a problem with the main character, Cassie. She is supposed to be around 25 years old, but the narration and actions of the main character would be more appropriate for a 15-16 y/o girl. The Cassie character lacks the maturity of a grown woman. Good try though.
margaret
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

. Great reading can't. Wait to read next one. Hard to put down, holds your attention and funny. Gotta go
Karen Loomis
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Different from other stories I have read by Cami Checketts. It did keep me guessing until the end, but I was slightly confused at times.
Camille M. Russell
Garbage

Cannot figure out how to get rid of this onmy Kindle! No more to fill in spaces of this book
Barbara  Miller
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
  • Finding the Baby Jesus
  • Rise of the Fire Tamer (The Wordwick Games, #1)
  • Secrets of the Red Box
  • Heart of the Ocean
  • Take My Heart
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • Daisy: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
  • Ashes Ashes (Hostage Negotiation Team #2)
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Caller ID
  • The Guy Next Door
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • BORN IN VENGEANCE (Dacian Legends, #1)
  • Yours Affectionately, Jane Austen (The Man Who Loved Jane Austen #2)
  • Escucha Means Listen