Start by marking “Downtime” as Want to Read:
Downtime

Downtime

FBI Agent Morgan Nash is on assignment in London when his case goes awry and he finds himself moments away from a bullet through the heart. But fate has other plans: Morgan gets knocked out pursuing a suspect... and wakes up in 1888.

While cataloging ancient manuscripts at the British Museum, Ezra Glacenbie accidentally pulls Morgan out of the twenty-first century-an improm
Kindle Edition, 3rd edition, 506 pages
Published April 1st 2012 by Tamara Allen (first published January 2007)

Start your review of Downtime
Julio Genao
Nov 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
willfully reposted that i may heartily irritate the author, who has accused me of improprieties while defending the right of ann somerville to talk shit about my mama.

tamara: bite me.

OMG I'm in the 1800s. Wait until twitter hears about this—O NOES! Stupid cellphone. Y U NO HAZ SIGNAL???

description

It's grating to spend time with a character so dense he was as likely to blurt out something that could alter the course of human history as he was to reach for 21st century identification to soothe the suspicion
Vio
A Gorgeous, lovely romance and another favourite from Tamara Allen who has a talent for building wonderful atmospheric stories. I could almost smell and feel that I was there with Ezra and Morgan. Jack the Ripper is a big feature and a gripping addition to the story, loved the way Ezra and Morgan teamed up to investigate the murders. The institution where Ezra ends up briefly, is terrifying and spine-chilling in its desperate hopelessness, a horrible place for anyone who has the misfortune of en ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I just spent the whole day reading this 500 page beauty, and I loved every second of it! This book really had everything for me. It mixes time-travel, historical fiction, a sweet m-m romance, and fully developed plot.

Thank you Tamara Allen for giving this romance a SLOW BURN. There was no rushing, everything was built-up at a wonderfully delicious pace. The chemistry felt real and the 19th century world was described beautifully. I have nothing but praise for this book. My one wish is that it w
Sun
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Well surprise, surprise…”Downtime” is one of my favorite books of the year.

…and for none of the reasons that I love other books.

No steamy sex scenes.
No action.
No angst.
No fast-pace.

Instead, it was a slowly rolled-out, beautifully-written love story about time travel, 1888 London, friendships, transformations, and Jack the Ripper. Not an obvious recipe for a winning read, but Tamara Allen produced just that.

I love Morgan, Derry, Kathleen, and Hannah. I also love creepy George, mystery-Sid, and
Simone - on indefinite hiatus  -
***4.5 Stars***

Now that's what I call a one-eighty...

Or should I say an eighteen-eighty-eight? ;-) I love time travel stories, especially the unintentional kind (Outlander Jamie Frasier will always be one of my favorite book boyfriends!), so I was a bit disappointed when this book and I were off to a somewhat rocky start. I can be stubborn as a mule, though, and I simply refused to give up on my second book in a row. Sometimes stubbornness pays off big time and this book turned from
LenaRibka

I like Susan's review of this book. And though we disagree in our rating I would like to echo her main points about the book:

*No steamy sex scenes.
*No action.
*No angst.
*No fast-pace.

And add some from me:

*Annoying sub-plot.
*Boring and uninteresting investigations.
*The book is very long. It could have at least 100 pages less without a negative influence on the plot.
*A very sterile romance.
*Morgan Nash. The most uninteresting figure in the book. His figure is...colourless and flat.

But it w
Kaje Harper
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, m-m
4.5 stars. Tamara Allen is an auto-buy author for me. She has just the right touch with a historical romance, making the settings and characters feel relatively authentic and yet not alien, giving rich description but not so much it feels overworked or intrusive. In this book Morgan Nash, a modern FBI agent is transported back in time to 1888, where he meets Ezra, who sees ghosts. Morgan is cool, brash, determined and abrasive. Ezra is quiet, sweet, honest and haunted. And gay in a time when tha ...more
Christelle
Lot of things going on in Downtime, that made it a very enjoyable read for me :

* Time-travel : Morgan Nash, an abrasive FBI agent, is sent to London on a case that almost gets him killed at the British Museum when a spell sends him back to…1888.

* Paranormal : this messy situation is due to Ezra inadvertently (or maybe not) reading a spell from an old manuscript. As the sweet and patient gentleman he is, Ezra pledges to do whatever he can to bring Morgan back to his time.
Wait, why paranormal, th
Elena

How do you rate a book that you wanted to rate 2 to 3 stars for the first half, have been repeatedly tempted to DNF…and then had you glued to your kindle for the last third or so?

We’ve all had those books, the ones that have an amazing first half and then sink or the ones that start weak and improve later. This is not one of those cases, I don’t think the book got better, I think my mindset changed somewhere along the way and I started to accept or get used to the flaws, until the flaw
Deeze
I’m really not one for historical reads but Tamara Allen has converted me as long as she is the writer. This is my second book by her and it will not be my last. Her writing skill is amazing. She can bring to life the past. OK as you can gather this will be another ramble rather than a detailed review lol.

This wonderful story mixes the present with the past in a way that is totally absorbing.

First we have a beautiful love story between Ezra and Morgan. You wont find any detailed sex scenes or co
Heller
4.75

What a wonderfully romantic read.

I do enjoy a good time travel story and this has a lot of elements that so worked for me. Great MC's who were flawed but charming, a strong historical element with an interesting paranormal spin on time travel and well fleshed out secondary characters with an engaging storyline.

I loved the slow burn here but I admit to being worried about how things were going to turn out. So much so that (view spoiler)
J.L. Merrow
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's probably nearer a four-star book. But I loved it, and I shall give it as many stars as I like. *nods* ...more
Heather C
Wonderful story!

So the other day, Nikyta sent me a text telling me that I should read this book.  I didn't really take the time to ask why or even what it was about, but immediately jumped in blind. She's known me for years and when she tells me to read something, there's a 99% chance that I'm going to love it...

...and I totally loved this!

While on a case in present day London, FBI Agent Morgan Nash gets accidentally sucked back through time into 1888 by Ezra and two of his housemates, Derry and
ttg
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Tamara Allen’s The Only Gold, and now after Downtime, I want to wander the streets singing songs about her and her ability to write such enveloping stories that are bursting with such realized characters and such a sweeping, heart-filling romance. I want to cry. I want to gush. I want to go back immediately and relive it again and see all the beautiful bits that I missed the first time.

The story itself seems far-fetched--modern day FBI agent Morgan Nash is working a case in London, only
mwana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, historical, adult
An FBI investigator somehow ends up travelling back in time to 1888. While trying to find his way back to his present (back to the future?) he falls in love with the man who brought him back, Ezra. He also makes a cast of friends that I deserved to know a hell of a lot more about.

Stuck in 1888, our MC figures out that the Jack the Ripper murders are happening and he could solve and/or stop them.

Now this is a book that I could have gotten sucked into and never found my way out of. But it someho
Mark
This book contained everything that I love; intrigue, mystery and suspense, historical, supernatural and a sweet romance. It's so difficult to write a review on such a intricate and multi-faceted story.

FBI agent Morgan Nash is on secondment in London and is thrown back to 1888. This throws him for a loop first of all, but then finds values and a love that he never experienced in modern times. While there and trying to get back to the present day he meets Ezra, a gentle but troubled soul battling
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

So, you know how a normal-length book can feel like it just won't ever end? Yeah, this is a hella long book and it never felt that way; the story was so well-written and the plot so very interesting that the pace of this novel never got bogged down.

I really liked the FBI angle/procedural set up...and adored how the time-travel aspect seamlessly wove this Fed into one of the most famous crime sprees in history without changing a damn thing and still managed to "solve" an unsolved crime.
nemo the emo ☠️ (pagesandprozac)
3.5 stars, rounded up because it's Christmas Day so I'm feeling generous. ...more
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~

I wanted to reread this one for my review project because I knew for a long time it didn't really deserve the 5 star rating I initially gave it (that ending is enough to make you forgive a lot that came before, lol), and there was a lot I didn't quite remember. I also had the good fortune of reading this with Elena and Rosa for a BR, and as always, they made the experience ten times more fun than it would have been to read it alone.

Anyway, I figured I'd drop this to 4 stars, but in the
Cristina
**Update January 2022: third reread and I love the comfort this novel (despite its minor flaws) is always capable of giving me** Ezra <3

**Update after reading Downtime for the second time in February 2019.**

I cannot but confirm all I've said below about this wonderful historical novel. On a second read, the book took on so many extra layers and the characters became for me even more rounded and complex.

Morgan - although still full of himself and hard-headed - came across as deeply wounded by h
Dee Wy
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are considering reading this book after having read a fast-paced action thriller, chill out first. Have a glass of wine and relax. The slow pace at the beginning of this wonderful historical may send you into shock at first as it did me. But the measured pace of events, characters being introduced and relationships established all come in good time, and you will soon feel so invested in these characters and their lives that you won't want to stop reading.

FBI agent Morgan Nash is pulled ba
Ariana  (mostly offline)
*4,5 stars*

Now that is quite a tale! The pages just flew by, and not even once did the thought "omg how much longer is this?" cross my mind.

On the contrary.
I was totally wrapped up in the adventurous plot and wondered for most of the time how this could possibly end. Would Morgan go back? Would Ezra travel to the future? Would they meet up as ghosts at one point? Would Ezra turn up in the future in a different body? See what I mean?
The possibilities are manifold!

As for Morgan and Ezra - the deve
Rosa
This is a difficult one, I enjoyed the story a lot but the time travelling thing isn't too well done in my opinion. That said, I liked the characters despite wanting to kick Morgan repeteadly for various reasons, it's very well written and the BR, as always, was fantastic. This one is my first Tamara Allen book and I think it won't be the last. ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This was a very good book, even if I had a few reservations. Anyway.

You have to read it:

1 - for the beautiful love story. Morgan is basically married to his job. He's not a bad guy, but he has never tried to give himself to another man with all his heart. He's a bit arrogant and set in his ways, but when he goes back in time he meets Ezra, who's really an angel. Ezra is able to make Morgan change his mind and attitude by proximity. The story is in the first-person point-of-view of Morgan, but af
Irina
DNF @45%

Usually I try very hard to finish my books. I know that with some of them, it takes time for a story to unravel and I just don't want to miss a hidden jewel. But when I genuinely lose interest, there's no point in wasting my time.

This book had started off quite well. I was intrigued to see how a modern-day FBI agent will adjust to the life in the 19th century and what kind of trouble will he get into. The idea had a potential, but for some reason, it didn't work for me.

I liked the writi
Fangtasia
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of historical romance. Not a fan of time travel stories, either. Furthermore, my thoughts on the explicitness of sex scenes in the M/M Romance I read are: the more, the better, thank you very much. This story had NO explicit sex scenes, was set in the late 1800's, and one of the MCs was from present day. Yet I loved it.

Why? Because the characters made me fall in love with them, pulled me in and made me care. All of them, not just the main ones, or the good ones. I felt for Sid, fo
Paul
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a huge fan of historical lit, I know I say this all the time and keep reading them but once again I found the blurb about this book to enticing to give it up. It was well worth the read and it's a big book. 500 pages.

I know this was written as a stand alone but every now and then you read a book that has the potential for a great sequel and this is one of those books. I'm usually against sequel as so many written are unwarranted, I'm not talking about series here either. I don't want to
Trisha Harrington
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, loved
This book was quite emotional for me, I found myself unsure of where the most emotion came from. The ending would be my guess, it was my first time reading a historical mm romance and it will not be my last. Ezra and Morgan were a nice couple and they made the story what it was. The story was a bit complicated in places but I never got lost when reading it. I hope to read more like this soon :)
Kat
Jan 26, 2013 marked it as started-yet-stalled-for-now
Who am I kidding? I'll put this on hold for now.:p ...more
Pam
Nov 05, 2020 marked it as zz-dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF after 258 pages. I’m really surprised at how much I’m struggling with this one. I loved the other two books I’ve read by this author, but I can’t get into this one at all. And I don’t want to keep forcing myself through another 200 pages.

If you’re new to Tamara Allen, I recommend Whistling in the Dark or The Only Gold instead.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Only Gold
  • Whistling in the Dark
  • Invitation to the Dance
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • Madison Square Murders (Memento Mori, #1)
  • If It Ain't Love
  • The Missing Page (Page & Sommers, #2)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Tommy Cabot Was Here (The Cabots, #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turners #3)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • Subtle Blood (The Will Darling Adventures, #3)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
See top shelves…
There is more than one author with this name

James Allen is a pen name used by author Tamara Allen.

News & Interviews

The glint of fangs in the dark, the sound of tap-tap-tapping at your window, the howling of wind (or is it just wind?) in the trees...that's...
“We all have so many faces. So many of which must be kept concealed.” 10 likes
“Yawning, I stumbled off the trolley after him and tried to get
out of the way of people rushing aboard. Apparently manners weren' t a thing of the past.
They' d never existed at all.”
8 likes