Start by marking “Coming Home” as Want to Read:
Coming Home

Read Book

Coming Home

This book is now FREE!

Chase Murphy returns to his backwater home in North Carolina after eight years in the Marine Corps only to be confronted by his high school tormentor, Brad Wilson. Only Brad isn't interested in tormenting Chase; he is interested in something else entirely. But will Chase be interested in the same thing?
Published April 12th 2012 by Brenda Cothern

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Home

SheReadsALot
M/M HFN with a 'gay-for-you' theme. An ex-marine comes home to his small hometown and screws his bully. Not bad for a free read. Very short.The characters' names confusing as reading - Chad & Chase. Author, please consider using names that are not so similar.
Heller
Chase comes home from the Marines and hooks up with the guy that used to bully him all through school.

While I understand that Chase hated Brad for a long time because of his bullying ways, his inner thoughts on how much he hated him while trying to screw him just made me uncomfortable and really sorry for Brad.

blub
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Chase and Brad are okay characters, neither had personalities I had hated. My only issue was that their attraction to each other felt superficial. It just felt like if Chase or Brad had a bigger selection of individuals to choose from for bed partners they wouldn't have really chosen each other or they'll be together but sleeping around on each other.
Paws
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story from a physical stand point, but emotions were left out of this book completely.
Tonileg
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, western, romance, kindle
What happens when you see people from your past, people from high school or college? I get hit with memories from the past and the bad souvenirs hit harder then the good.
Chase Murphy returns to his backwater home in North Carolina. He has been a marine for the last eight years and has checked out and is going home. His parents are dead and he has the family home to fix up whilst thinking about his future. Chase used to be tormented by Chad Wilson and his gang in high school.
Of course the first n
Pam
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
It's a nicely written short story and for the length the characters are pretty well developed. I do wish that the author had picked names that were less similar. I mean please. Chase and Chad. What was she thinking?

The bad memories Chase had of Chad...the bullying during his growing up years is handled well. And there is just enough references to the changes in his physical appearance and attitude since leaving town to join the Marines to be effective. What I found inconsistent was his sudden c
Wicked
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was...ok. The main characters were both likable. The fact that their names were so similar (Chase and Chad) made reading hard to deal with but the story itself was alright. Very short. I could have really liked this if the characters (and the the story) were fleshed out more. It's not something I would read again but I'm not sorry I read it.

***Please note that I would like to apologize to the author for my previously unedited review which indicated that her characters were hard to deal with.
Cindi
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Enemies to lovers story. Nice story but I felt that it ended (at 50% on my Kindle) as soon as the real story began. I would have liked to have seen where Chase and Chad went from there.
Dee
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't understand the so-so reviews. This book was hot. What a concept to build a story and relationship upon. Great little read. Thanks.
Tailtiu
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: free
2,5* upgrade because it was free.
Don Bradshaw
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
A very disappointing story that was just sex really. Half the book was a sneak preview of another book.
Keith
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Really liked the idea of the book, but too confusing with the names so similar. Story felt too rushed.
Pati
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: lendable-m-m, cowboys
I was really enjoying this story, right up until it's very surprising ending at 50%.
Maygirl7
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had low expectations for this free read, but it surprised me.
Evan Xavier
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-short
One hot soldier + One sexy cowboy = One-handed reading. =)
Dennis
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming home

Sometimes coming home can change things for the better. Chase and Brad weren't friends when growing up, far from it. But time can sometimes change things.
Riayl
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm
Didn't like either of the main characters.
Jerreb
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
After having very high hopes for the story, this book really wasn't my cup of tea. I'm from a small southern town where people have a tendency to stay. So I could definitely relate to the going home again with the same old grudges and seeing some people who have changed and matured while others just stayed the same and never grew up. Thankfully it was short so I was able to finish it.

First off, the story could have used a good editor. The number of misspelled words and repeated words really pull
Mary Devereaux
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Extremely short story that had potential.
However, the plot was rushed when it could've been (probably should've been) more drawn out.

There's no way "small town football hero and straight boy" Brad would've given in so easily and not flinched at the prospect of being found out by his whole community. The author even gives us the possibility for angst in mentioning his having to stay home to help his mom, but took it no where.

"Geek boy grown up" Chase is all too willing to give in to Brad, which
Milica
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Older version of this book is some page shorter,readers complained that story just stops in one point with no resolution,and of course there is the Chase/Chad confusion. I downloaded newer version which has none of this problems,just so you know... And the story is OK,it's really decent,and you know - it's free... But the reason why I'm writing this review is not because I want to say how OK this story was,it's because this is the most realistic M/M story I've ever read. That means:
-no crying
joani
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was cut off to soon

I really love the setting of this story. Chase a kid who was bullied really bad in high school. years later he becomes a man, a Marine and a force to be recon with. Bully Brad , a grown up now, wants Chase and tries to make amends. He hopes that he could change Chase's feeling for him and that they might one day be together. Ok now here is why it is not a five star book...No real feelings or emotions are displayed. No "soul deep connection" , just get up and leave and then jum
Janie
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Well this was quite unexpected, I had read some really negative reviews about this book, but I really liked it. I thought it was freaking hot. Of course I am a HUGE lover of m/m cowboys/marines, etc. Chase once was the kid that all the jocks picked on and tormented. When he graduated from high school he left for the marines. When he came back no one was expecting the rather large sexy cowboy to be Chase, especially Brad. Totally infatuated with Chase, Brad could not stop wanting to be with Chase ...more
Lisa
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an enemies to lovers novella. I struggled with the intimacy between Chase and Brad as there was no 'emotional' attachment at all after the first encounter. The first two thirds of the story set up the liaisons and then the last couple of paragraphs rushed to a passive and quite unbelievable conclusion and ended!!

I didn't like Bobby, he was an utter dickhead, so I was expecting something more ballsy than his shocked gasp at the end!

This had potential, it was readable, but lacked the spa
Joy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good job ...

The hardest thing to do in a short story is to make me fall in love with the characters. Most of the time it's just "wam bang thank you man" straight to the action, but not this time. I liked the build up and the back story. I really found myself rooting for Brad, hoping he would be a good guy. I still wanted more, more about Brad's mom, more about the bullying and more about the romance after the secrets out. A couple more chapters and this could have been 5 stars.
MiMi Rae
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 Loved Chase...Brad was OK. The ending was verrry hurried, like the author didn't know what else to say. They went from closeted not even hanging out to 'couplehood' easily in a very short period of time. The enemies to lovers part was almost believable. Just a little faster & easier resolved than I thought it would be. It looks like there was a name change for Brad & think there was one Chad left in...though I don't remember specifically any other glaring errors(though I remember the ...more
Lorraine
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about two kids who had been enemies at high school, before discovering several years later, that actually they had something in common.
The story describes well any small town, where everyone knows everyone's business and small-mindedness is a common theme.
The changing relationship between the main characters Chase and Brad is given time to develop and I am glad the author chose to add in the extra words to the additional book, as I was left feeling I had enjoyed a little insi
Rebecca
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the plot and the characters BUT there was zero emotional in depth one day they started to accept they were hooking up next page its wrapped up. We didn't get to see them start to fall for one another. I would of loved for it to of been longer and more detail. Like when did brad stop caring about what his friend saw? Or when did chase want to stop hating brad and wanted to date him? Those things would of been nice.
marcella Atkinson
i thought this was a pretty good little read. The characters really didn't discuss their feelings with each other, but you did get a little from their personal dialogues. They are manly men, you don't really expect them to get all mushy. The little sex scenes were pretty graphic and, even though there weren't many it felt like just enough. i really did enjoy this and think i might try out some more from this author.
Shelley Chastagner
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the story over all well enough. I wanted more development of the story line. The ending was too abrupt. I felt like I was just beginning to get to know Chase and Brad when the story was done. Another book continuing their journey to something more real in a relationship would be nice.
Adult read
Sue bowdley
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Well i don't know what book other reviewers read but what's with this chad and chase...in the book he was called Brad...so why complain about names being similar...Were quite a few typos and mistakes but in all the story was good....with some good editing and proofreading this could be so much better x

• Tomfoolery
  • Daddy's Boy
  • A Fragile Love
  • Furtive Liaison
  • Smartass
  • Parking Lot Hero (A Powers of Love Story)
  • The Best Part
  • Love on a Wing and a Prayer
  • Making It Happen
  • Breaking Waves
  • Needing You
  • In His Sights (Don't Tell, #4)
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Jacinto's Voyage
  • A Magnetic Couple Dilemma
  • Zeph's Awakening
  • Sink or Swim
  • Kiss and Makeup
Brenda is an Amazon and ARe best-selling author and resides in Tampa, FL with her husband, six cats, a dog, a turtle named Tammy, and a rabbit named Alice. She is active in the Tampa Bay GLBT, kink, & leather communities, and the owner of Florida Leather & Fetish Pride Weekend event which includes a Mr. & Ms. title contest.
When not putting the voices in her head on paper, Brenda is at