Start by marking “Culpepers Color Herbal” as Want to Read:
Culpepers Color Herbal

Culpepers Color Herbal

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  421 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The definitive book on early English herbalism in cookery and medicine.
Published 1983 by Sterling Publishing (NY) (first published 1653)

To ask other readers questions about Culpepers Color Herbal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culpepers Color Herbal

Geraldine Dyer
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Due to the nature of Nicholas Culpepper's language/the era it was written, sometimes the information may seem sketchy to the untrained eye, but I own two copies of this book & my mother has owned a copy since I was very young (if not before I was born) and I swear by it or any information about healing attributes of herbs, vegetables and other things grown in uk hedgerows that have been long forgotten. Brilliant stuff :)
Cicadinae
While this is an abridged version of Culpeper's original, it's very helpful to have large illustrations and updated information on each plant. However, for the full effect of the herbal lore, you'd probably want to go to the original source (many free versions available online). There is also not much information in here for practical use, though there are lists at the end that could be a good starting point for research. I am glad to see that Potterton recommends that the reader seek help from ...more
Rose English
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
A truly remarkable book I have a PDF copy of 'Culpeper's Complete Herbal' from 1800 with its old fashioned English. No illustrations but a fascinating book none the less. One which encouraged me to seek out a modern day version and I was lucky enough to find this hardback copy from 1983 with it's beautiful illustrations.

It contains some of the original text of Nicholas Culpeper along with his ideas of astrology being of great influence in herbal medicine. The illustrations by Michael Stringer ar
Angie Lisle
Interesting as a historical resource but the medicinal information is out-dated and unreliable.
Fraser Sherman
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Very much a specialty item, which makes it hard to review. Culpeper discusses the virtues of various plants, and their names (Christ's Eye, Clown's Woodword, Dead Nettle, the Melancholy Thistle and Piss-a-Bed among them) and healing properties, while emphasizing that he's researching this stuff, not just regurgitating the classics (of course his idea of research includes looking at the astrological ties of each plant).
Clivemichael
Good starting off point for the budding herbalist interested in historical reference- archaic language and misguided direction such as" a French physician called Hilarius once told that an acquaintance of his had smelled basil and as a result a scorpion grew in his brain..." and “Mizaldus affirms, that being laid to rot in horse dung, it will breed venomous beasts.”
Covers most useful common plants, has a some recipes.

Rhianna Schoonover
A good read for anyone who wants to understand the history of the medical field in England & Europe. While many uses of herbs are no longer supported, it does help to understand where we have the ideas of what herbs do in a written form. Culpepper is one of the better known authors of medicinal tomes of his era and quite worth reading.
Val
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The original and best reference book for anyone interested in herbal remedies was written in the mid-C17th by Nicholas Culpeper. He also wrote several other books for medical practitioners, and together they give a good insight into treatments of the time.
S
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of info is not trustworthy, names were based on looks, nothing more, and there was also mixing of what the herbs actually did according to certain 'authorities', i.e. apothecaries, natives, etc. it's unreliable and ill informed.
Sam
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth-and-magic
A thorough and detailed reference book containing information on a wide variety of herbs including medicinal properties and how to prepare and use them. The botanical information is useful and precise and can be used by anybody to identify each herb
K
Some very useful and interesting info used when writing historicals and potentially for fantasy/paranormal.... as well as for treating minor things naturally
David Melik
The information about herbs may or may not be helpful, but it also lists astrological 'information' about them, which I think is nonsense.
Joan
excellent resource for an old old book.
Meg
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A seventeenth century book with lots of charm - much folklore and superstition, along with the observations of a Stuart age gardener. A milestone of pharmacological history.
Silverose
Beautiful herbal that includes color illustrations of each plant as it grows wild and known medicinal values and uses.
GooseberryCompote
All you need to know, to know me, is that I read this for fun and learning as a kid, and I still do.
Avery
Great for herbal lore. This edition also has helpful illustrations. Full review here.
Stacy Crandall
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Herbologists, Gardeners
Recommended to Stacy by: SMC
An excellent reference book for all things herbal. It includes a complete description and the medicinal properties of countless herbs.
Saleris
I like this book. I have 2 copies. This one, bought at a book fair (Got to have a hardback of this book) and a paperback to flip through and mark when needed.
Rosebud
Very very informative herb and their uses.
Nightphoenix
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
like this book as a history reference for herbs as I like to see what people used to do with what plant but as a modern herb reference book probably not, is a very nice book though
John
reference
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful to those serious about learning about the wide-world of herbs. Love the colorful drawings. Tells where /when they can be found & past /present uses.
B. Justin Shier
Yea, I read all of it. Yea, I'm strange.
Veronica
May 18, 2016
Possibly with extending your leaders up 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 04:34AM
  • A Modern Herbal
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Way of Herbs
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • The Master Book of Herbalism
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
Nicholas Culpeper was an English botanist, herbalist, physician, and astrologer. His published books include The English Physician (1652) and the Complete Herbal (1653), which contain a rich store of pharmaceutical and herbal knowledge, and Astrological Judgement of Diseases from the Decumbiture of the Sick (1655), which is one of the most detailed documents we have on the practice of medical astr ...more
More about Nicholas Culpeper...