Start by marking “A Night to Remember” as Want to Read:
A Night to Remember

A Night to Remember

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  15,411 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews
Lord’s classic bestseller, and the definitive account of the unsinkable ship’s fateful last hours
At first, no one but the lookout recognized the sound. Passengers described it as the impact of a heavy wave, a scraping noise, or the tearing of a long calico strip. In fact, it was the sound of the world’s most famous ocean liner striking an iceberg, and it served as the de
Published March 6th 2012 by Open Road Iconic Ebooks (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about A Night to Remember, please sign up.
Tammy Strengths: Interesting and quick read. Gives a pretty good account of the events that happened as the Titanic sunk particularly things that went wrong…moreStrengths: Interesting and quick read. Gives a pretty good account of the events that happened as the Titanic sunk particularly things that went wrong leading to the massive loss of lives.

Weaknesses: At some points it feels as if it provides to much extraneous detail (like what a bunch of different people were wearing at the time), at others it seems lacking in details. For example a bunch of names are thrown out but I never really felt like I "knew" who any of the people were.(less)
Grace Naeve I agree with this because I feel like once people figured out what actually happened they had no regrets. I feel like the people didn't regret getting…moreI agree with this because I feel like once people figured out what actually happened they had no regrets. I feel like the people didn't regret getting on the boat because this was the boats first trip, and the boat was very nice and fancy. The people were living their lives to the fullest by taking this trip instead of staying home. I also think the Titanic crashing and sinking had nothing to do with the boat and how it was built, overall it was a nice boat. But the captain wanted to show off its speed and ended up crashing.(less)

·  15,411 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews

Matt
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Cameron ruined the Titanic.

Now, anyone who's ever been interested in the subject must contend with sideways glances from people who assume your curiosity was piqued by Kate Winslet gazing at Leonardo DiCaprio with her big doe eyes. Countless books, documentaries, and even video games were released to coincide with the ill-fated ship's meteoric popularity. This is not to say that Cameron's Titanic was entirely irredeemable. Indeed, there are many parts of the film where you can feel Camero
Diane
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I can see why this book is considered a classic in narrative nonfiction. In fact, I picked up this book because Nathaniel Philbrick, himself a master writer, told the New York Times that this was one of his favorite books of the genre. (The other nonfiction book he mentioned was Alfred Lansing's Endurance, which I also agree was excellent.)

A Night to Remember gives a gripping, detailed account of what happened the night the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic Ocean, killing more
Ana O
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Titanic-9

www_titanic

“Robertson called his ship the Titan; the White Star Line called its ship the Titanic. This is the story of her last night.”
Lobstergirl
James Cameron's vision of the Titanic decided that the most compelling and lucrative story would focus on two young lovers who had just met. Looking at the passenger manifest, where survivors are listed in italics and the dead are not, suggests how blandly offensive this vision is. It's hard to argue with the chivalry of "women and children first," but for family after family, particularly among first class passengers, fathers and husbands went down with the ship while mothers, wives, and kiddie ...more
Bronwyn
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read a true and accurate account of the titanic disaster
Recommended to Bronwyn by: no one, bought it at a second hand store
this is a very good book about the sinking of the titanic, probably the best and most accurate of the books written about the titanic disaster, a movie(a night to remember) was made from it, and it tells you what really happened instead of exaggerations, and lies, so it is without a doubt among the best of the books written about the titanic disaster, and I would recommend it to anyone would is interested in the titanic and wants to read a true account
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Walter Jarvis

On April 15, 1912, the greatest ship to ever sail struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic. This is a chronological tale of what the people aboard the Titanic recall of that night’s events.

This is a re-read. I first read it before I joined either Shelfari or Goodreads, so I have no record of when I read it. I believe it was in the 1980s; I know it was long before the hugely successful movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. If memory serves, I
Evan
This is sort of the primary, classic book on the Titanic disaster. Published in 1955, it's short and smoothly written -- covering the viewpoints of a large cast and changing centers of perspective with ease. There have been four movies made about the Titanic in the sound era (there were several silent movies about or loosely based on it). I've seen three of the four and have the other one on VHS to watch. The first was a 1943 German, Nazi-produced spectacle that mainly was made, it seemed, as an ...more
Bill Rogers
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Because I'm cruel and evil, I'm going to ruin this book for you with a spoiler. The ship sinks, folks.

What, you already knew that? You've heard the story before, once or twice, maybe? In fact, do you think the Titanic story is overblown in our culture? Are you tired of it? You can blame Walter Lord. But don't blame him too much; he wrote an amazing book.

Lord was something of a harmless crank with a bit of a fascination with this big honkin' ship that had run into an iceberg a few decades before.
Kat
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was about 15, I was completely obsessed with the Titanic (yep, that's the year the movie came out!), and I brought every book I could find about it. And at the time, hyping up the movie, there was a lot of books available.

A couple of years later, the obsession had faded and it wasn't until the 100th anniversary of the sinking in mid-April that my interest was piqued again. So I picked up a copy of A Night to Remember.

Written in 1955, it reads with a surprisingly modern and appealing voice
Shaun
If...

If the Titanic had heeded any of the six ice messages on Sunday....if ice conditions had been normal...if the night had been rough or moonlit...if she had seen the berg 15 seconds sooner--or later...if she had hit the ice any other way...if her watertight bulkheads had been one deck higher...if she had carried enough boats...if the Californian had only come. Had any one of these "ifs" turned out right, every life might have been saved. But they all went against her--a classic Greek tragedy.
GoldGato
I've never trusted the month of April. It should be the month of flowers and bunnies and eggs and bees, which it is. But April is also the month of disasters...the 1906 Earthquake and Fire, Chernobyl, the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine and, of course, the Sinking of the Titanic. The 'S' is capitalized.

Prior to reading Walter Lord's version of the Sinking, the Titanic was just another shipwreck to me, but forever after, it is THE shipwreck. Under Lord's framing, it's also the end of the Gilded
Manybooks
Walter Lord's A Night to Remember (which I absolutely adored as a teenager) is basically and for all intents and purposes a live action, riveting account of the sinking of the Titanic, from start to finish, from the time the iceberg was hit to when the sadly oh so very few survivors were picked up, had finally reached the Carpathia (and I can well understand how and why this novel was made into a movie, although I have not seen it).

Now as a teenager, the massive amounts of emotionally fraught p
Kimberley doruyter
one thing becomes clear reading this book.
titanic was a major cock-up.
could more have gone wrong on one sea journey.
Michael Britt
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really can't decide what the best rating for this book would be. It's an amazing recollection of first-hand experiences from the night the Titanic went down. The Titanic is one of my favorite stories from history. Might have come from seeing it in theaters as a kid, but I'm not 100% certain. But this book is far more interesting than the movie, only because it's true.

It's interesting to hear just how calm everyone was up until people started physically seeing the water inside the ship. Even t
Kathryn
This has been on my TBR list for a while, but I felt an urge to get it read earlier this year, given that I was going on a cruise myself. I decided it would be best left until after I returned, just in case it made me a little edgy!!

It was an interesting read, although there wasn’t anything of major importance that I wasn’t already aware of - but still amazing to think that people were firmly convinced that the Titanic was unsinkable. Although, having cruised on a large ocean liner now myself, I
K.D. Absolutely
They say that this book is the definitive source when it comes to the story of Titanic and I agree. I learned so much details from this book that I did not see in the James Cameron 1997 hit. Even if I watched that movie 20+ times (and still occasionally have that urge), I still had that insatiable need to know more about what happened. But when I finally closed this book? Enough, I said. I'm truly satiated.

A Night to Remember is 1955 Walter Lord's (1917-2002) non-fiction work detailing what happ
Geevee
Walter Lord's book is itself over half a century old (published 1956) and yet it remains highly readable justifying its "classic" tag.

Where Lord excels is that he interviewed 63 survivors and weaved their recollections with many other written sources and testimonies to tell a story.

And a fine story it is. He hooks the reader on the first page by placing you firmly in 1912 and on board the second of White Star Line's Olympic class ships, and at the time of her voyage the largest ship afloat, and
ALLEN
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walter Lord's immensely factual 1955 book about the sinking of the Titanic gave rise to an absolutely first-rate British semi-documentary film of the same name (1958), and has served as source authority to most sinking-of books and movies ever since, at least in part.

While some aspects of the doomed liner's design, manufacture and demise are known to us that were not known to author Lord, lately the "revelations" have tended toward conspiracy theories and relative minutiae such as criticizing t
Bill Lynas
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truely matter of fact account of the sinking of the Titanic, brilliantly told. It's interesting that although first published only about 40 years after the disaster people still had differnt memories of the events that happened. This version is an excellent unabridged audio CD, read by the ever reliable Martin Jarvis.
Niki Estes
This book, published first in 1955, is a treasure trove of information about that fateful night on the Titanic. It is really well written and you feel as if you are right there in the midst of the disaster. I've watched quite a few documentaries about the Titanic and really enjoyed this book as well. I highly recommend it. I plan to get other books by Walter Lord as he was a wonderful, nonfiction writer.
Sam
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2016
I've gotten interested in the Titanic again after visiting Belfast this summer and going to the spectacular new Titanic museum. It really is worth the trip and you can easily spend the whole day there and not get bored. But this is about the book not the museum!

Very very concise recalling of what happened the night the Titanic sank, but I ended up loving that part of this book the most. It's not James Cameron fluff even if I love that movie for different reasons. This book is pretty strictly the
Max
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-history
Lord delivers a riveting account of a tragedy that symbolized the end of an age. The Titanic, the grandest of luxury liners, heedlessly speeds forward into the night as the wealthy elite indulge. They meet their destiny in the elemental forces. The Titanic’s demise eerily foreshadows the profound changes coming as the world soon unravels in the Great War. The prevailing confidence that man can control nature and his fate is shattered. A far more uncertain world is revealed.

The actions of the cr
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Walter Lord's retelling of the fatal voyage of the Titanic, read by Martin Jarvis.

1/10. As the RMS Titanic sails to New York, an iceberg is spotted.

2/10. The Titanic's captain tries to discover how badly the ship's been damaged by the iceberg.

3/10. The stricken passengers of the RMS Titanic leave their cabins and head to the ship's decks.

4/10. As the sinking Titanic issues an SOS, women and children are ordered into the lifeboats.

5/10. With only women and children allowed
Brian Eshleman
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, audible
I don't know how the author does it, but he manages a sumptuous notice of detail and a very brisk, but not quite hurried pace – of course perfect for a narrative centering on the Titanic. He also draws some interesting cultural conclusions which point to its place in history and why it still fascinates us.
Aditya Patil
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A narrative as exciting as any thriller, capturing one of the most tragic events the world has ever witnessed. The unparalleled glory of the Unsinkable ship, the love and labor of its maker, captain and crew, the appalled cries of men, women and children aboard, the silent night, the cold sea with the roaring gigantic ocean liner, RMS Titanic, being devoured into it has fascinated and afflicted thousands of people. Walter Lord has described all of it in this wonderful book.

On a side note, I alwa
Medhat The Book Fanatic
Tonight, in memory of the sinking, the casualties, both the survivors and victims, I decided to read:
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER: THE CLASSIC ACCOUNT OF THE FINAL HOURS OF THE TITANIC BY WALTER LORD.
Dawn
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History buffs.
Recommended to Dawn by: My daughter Carina.
Although I love the movie "Titanic", the main characters are fictional and the characters that were actually real people that were on the ship, not much of their story is shared in the movie. This book shares a lot of their stories. From the first page of the book, I was on the edge of my seat in suspense. Even though I already knew that the ship was going to sink and that there was not enough lifeboats for everyone onboard, the way Walter Lord wrote this book, it played out the scenes dramatica ...more
Brian Murray
This is a marvelous work of nonfiction in what has to be the definitive classic of the Titanic.

Walter Lord has a perfect balance between authorial distance and empathetic immediacy, giving the narrative elements of both suspense and pathos. Instead of focusing on a couple of passengers from the Titanic, he chronicles dozens to tell the story of the ship's last hours. This omniscient perspective makes the first half race by like a classical thriller. Even knowing the Titanic legend by heart, as s
Virginia Messina
A riveting account of the sinking of the Titanic. It doesn't matter that you know how the story ends--the book is a page turner! The author, Walter Lord, was a wonderful writer and a class act—he tells this story very well and with great compassion and fairness. In Lord’s Wikipedia entry, historian David McCullough says that he was “one of the most generous and kindhearted men” he had ever known, and that does somehow come across in Lord’s writing.

There is great detail here. Lord researched his
Dara
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been interested in the Titanic and her fateful maiden journey. Walter Lord tells the tale of her finally night at sea. This book was originally published in the 50s but it's content is still relevant. Lord collects various tales from the survivors themselves.

To us now, it's shocking at how calm and unbelieving the passengers were when the ship started going down. The ship was branded "unsinkable" and everybody truly believed it. They stayed inside, refused life belts, and thought the

• Titanic: an Illustrated History
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • Titanic Survivor: The Newly Discovered Memoirs of Violet Jessop Who Survived Both the Titanic and Britannic Disasters
  • Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Titanic - A Survivor's Story
  • Her Name, Titanic
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • The Irish Americans: A History
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived
Walter Lord was an American author, best known for his documentary-style non-fiction account, A Night to Remember, about the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 2009, Jenny Lawrence edited and published The Way It Was: Walter Lord on His Life and Books.
“Overriding everything else, the Titanic also marked the end of a general feeling of confidence.” 6 likes
“The night was a magnificent confirmation of "women and children first," yet somehow the loss rate was higher for Third Class children than First Class men.” 5 likes