Start by marking “The Pearls (Pearls and the Crowns, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pearls (Pearls and the Crowns, #1)

The Pearls (Pearls and the Crowns #1)

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Lady Lea-beloved sister of the Emperor Caelan-is gifted with the ability to see into others' hearts and when she is moved to tears, those tears become pearls. When the hardened warrior Lord Shadrael kidnaps her and takes her through the fearsome Hidden Ways of the shadow world, Lea can foresee her destiny in him. For if she is to save Shadrael from his own darkness, she wi ...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearls

Karina
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I forgot what it's like to fall into one of Deborah Chester's novels and worlds: think epic battles of good vs. evil with real heroes and villains, heroines with spunk, and of course a romance thrown in. But the momentum always keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat.

In this series, we meet Lea, sister to the emperor and beloved of all. In a ploy to dethrone her brother, she is kidnapped by a former army hero who no longer has a soul and fights the madness within him on a daily basis.

I s
Dina
Dec 26, 2011 added it
Shelves: dnf
I couldn't do it. There is nothing wrong with the story. I was liking it but then I realized there wasn't going to be any smex in it, and there is suppose to be a cliffhanger. That's okay in a book I know there will be some eventually. I will wait until the whole series is out, and then I'll give it another try.
Ariestess
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was actually one I found at Value Village and picked up for like $2 as it sounded interesting. I'm glad I actually bought it, as I really liked it, and can't wait to get the sequel, as well as the other books by this author.
Lucina
1.5 Sterne

Okay, "Die Tränen des Lichts" war eine ziemliche Enttäuschung, besonders wenn man die ganzen positiven Bewertungen bei Amazon betrachtet, die für mich persönlich vollkommen ungerechtfertigt sind. Man kann den Roman recht schnell lesen, da er einfach geschrieben ist, aber viel mehr positives gibt es nicht zu sagen. Aber erst einmal zu den negativen Punkten und davon gibt es recht viele.

Zum einen war der Roman sprachlich eine mittlere bis große Katastrophe. Ich kann mir auch nicht vorste
Catherine
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I rather liked this one. It was soon obvious as I was reading that I missed a lot of the world building and magic system from the previous trilogy (I was unaware the books were connected when I bought this one), but I still managed to enjoy it and I even put the previous trilogy on my "to read" list. A quick perusal told me this book has ratings all over the map, and I can understand why. There's not a lot of character development (though I do like Shadrael, Lea, and Thirbe) and the plot is rath ...more
Rachel
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This story picks up after the trilogy that introduced us to this world and the central figure's brother. The first time I read the other series, I quite liked it; but as time passed and I revisited it, I liked it less and less.

This book begins with instability in the country, and plots to overthrow the Emperor abound. One of them is fixed on the abduction of his beloved sister, Lea (who is beautiful, sweet, good etc etc). Her abductor is a soulless (literally) captain from the old guard military
Brownbetty
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
I understand that this is the first book in a series, but that the series is preceded by another series which introduces many of the main characters and sets the background, so perhaps I would have felt differently had I read The Sword, The Ring, and The Chalice trilogy. But I didnt, and perhaps as a result, I ended up skipping nearly two thirds of the chapters when they switched to the POV and stories of characters I couldnt care less about. ...more
Deborah
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't really get into this book I think it might have been because it was taken by some many different points of view. This is a style of writing I personally don't really like as it means that I don't connect with any character. So slightly disappointed with this book.
Sandy
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mystical things aren't really my interest but I did enjoy this book. There were several words I didn't understand that were in italics (old words) and to my disappointment there were no definitions in the book.
Kelly
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy, romance
It was alright for a cheap audiobook, the narrator was a bit too soft voiced for my liking, she didn't set the pace as well as hoped.
Chester's The Pearls 1 6 Feb 11, 2009 05:53PM
  • The Dark God's Bride Trilogy (The Dark God's Bride, #3)
  • Wildfire Gospel (Santeria Habitat, #3)
  • จอมนางคู่บัลลังก์ 2
  • QQ Sweeper 2 (QQ Sweeper, #2)
  • Unquiet Slumber (Blue Fire, #1)
  • The Truelove Bride
  • Búscame en tus sueños (Búscame en tus sueños, #1)
  • The Demon of Darkling Reach (The Black Prince Trilogy, #1)
  • Marked by Death (The Godhunter, #4)
  • Broken Promise (The Broken Ones, #3)
  • Chevalier (Ondine Quartet, #2.2)
  • Ferran's Map (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #4)
  • The Hollow Crown (Crosspointe Chronicles, #4)
  • The Ground She Walks Upon
  • Magic Embrace
  • Blood Tree: Part One
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
The internationally published, award-winning author of 41 novels, Deborah Chester has written Regency romances, historical romances, young adult, science fiction, and fantasy. She is a tenured professor of professional writing in the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Oklahoma, where she teaches novel and short story writing.
She holds a B.A. with General Hon
More about Deborah Chester...

Pearls and the Crowns (2 books)
  • The Crown (Pearls and the Crowns, #2)