Start by marking “Dinocalypse Now (Dinocalypse Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dinocalypse Now (Dinocalypse Trilogy, #1)

Dinocalypse Now

(Dinocalypse Trilogy #1)

When the Century Club is called in to prevent the assassination of FDR, it's just another day on the job - but what they discover puts not just the President, but the entire world in jeopardy. With psychic dinosaurs taking over Manhattan and beyond, it's up to Sally Slick, Jet Black, Mack Silver and the other Centurions to save humanity from extinction!
Published May 2012 by Evil Hat Productions, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dinocalypse Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinocalypse Now

Dan Schwent
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, pulp, wendig
After receiving a tip that FDR is going to be assassinated, the Century Club spring into action, only to find they've been led into a trap! Psychic dinosaurs invade the world from seven dimensional portals, led by Khan, the Conqueror Ape, and his simian horde! But who is pulling Khan's strings? And can his son, Professor Khan of the Century Club, help his friends defeat his father and avert the Dinocalypse?

Psychic dinosaurs, talking apes, yes, this book is that much fun. Set in the world of Evil
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

This book went straight onto my to-read pile earlier this year, for two main reasons: first, because I love Chuck Wendig, and second because...well, I figured I couldn't go wrong with any book with a title like Dinocalypse Now!

It wasn't until I was halfway through reading this book that I started to do some research and found out a little more about its background. Crowd-funded through Kickstarter in 2012, Dinocalypse now
Robert
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Or Disappointing Us Now as I have re-titled it.

It appears that Wendig has a background in the games industry and that this book is based on a tabletop roleplaying game.

This is seems to make sense considering Wendig's strengths and weaknesses as a story teller as evidenced here.

The big plus is imagination.

The big minuses are everything else:

Writing style, characterisation, plotting.

The single sentence paragraphing is really irritating so I will stop inflicting it on you now, but you will have got
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/04/...

Dinocalypse Now starts off with a bang as Jet Black falls from the sky during a speech given by FDR, jet pack sputtering and hissing, punctured by bite marks. Bite marks! What, you may ask, can bite into metal? Well, the title of the book is a pretty good clue. Jet Black is a Centurion, an intrepid group of crime fighters with hideouts and bases all over the world. His counterpart, Sally Slick, is on the ground, part of th
Qwill / The Qwillery
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am thoroughly enchanted by Christian N. St. Pierre's cover - Pterodactyls! Sally Slick flying with Jet Black! Mack Silver flying above! The Statue of Liberty and Manhattan in the background! Wow! But what about the story, you ask? Oh, the story is fantastic and lives up to the promise of the cover. Chuck Wendig knows how to wield a pen, much as Sally Slick knows how to wield her wrench. They both do it exceptionally well.

Dinocalypse Now is set in the world of the Spirit of the Century Role Pla
Louis
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kick-starter, fiction
Dinocalypse Now is a pulp book set in the world of a role playing game, Spirit of the Century. So you know what you are getting into, which is just a lot of fun. It moves quickly, with one cliffhanger and plot twist after another and leaves you with a smile with every chapter.

It suffers from having too many characters to follow. There are about three main story lines with the heros, and two more following the villians. While it is one way of introducing characters and giving you some reason to r
Rob
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for some summer reading? Are you looking for something that promises psychic dinosaurs, world-conquering gorillas, Atlantis, two fisted action, and pulpy goodness? Then do I have a recommendation for you.

Dinocalypse Now is the first foray into fiction by Evil Hat Productions. They enlisted the talents of Chuck Wendig to create a story based on the game Spirit of the Century. The game’s setting is a brighter version of the pulp novels of the early twentieth century. The predecesso
David(LA,CA)
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jetpack wearing heroes, psychic lizard men, intelligent apes, cavemen, mystical portals, lost cities. After the last few books I've read, I needed something like this. It feels like the novelization of a summer action film. The main characters are likeable and heroic, its fast paced, and the adventure actually has some adventure to it.

The story uses the same setting and a few characters from a pen and paper roleplaying game. In my opinion, not having experience with this game won't have a negati
C. Neagle
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Dinocalypse Now" combines several of my favorite things: pulp sci-fi tropes, fast-reading action, dirigibles, and dinosaurs. Oh, also super-intelligent gorillas. This is contemporary pulp-era fun at its best and I'm looking forward to reading the sequels. Chuck Wendig writes very readable prose and gives us characters who, although they are archetypes, are also fully formed and functional characters. I only have two miffs with this book: [Minor Spoiler Alert]-- 1). It ends with a cliffhanger, w ...more
Shonica
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Psychic dinosaurs - Sounds like a hoot.
Megalomaniac gorillas - Ok, I like great apes.
Atlantis - Really? alright.
Hallow earth neanderthals - Seems a bit far fetched but whatever.
Shark man - You have got to be kidding me!

So when I first started listening to this book I was amused. Then there were more and more unbelievable elements added, as if the author lost a bet and had to use as many stupid things in his novel as possible. But when it got to the shark man fighting the good guy gorilla... is w
Lyndsey
Jul 11, 2012 marked it as to-read-soon
Time-traveling, psychic.... Dinosaurs?! OHMYGOD. WHY COULDN'T THIS HAVE BEEN OUT WHEN I WAS A KID? Chuck, you must travel back in time, give this to me as a kid, and make me the happiest little nerd girl in the world.
Dan
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was like a Ramones album.

Short chapters, high energy, never stopping. Chapter. Chapter. Chapter. Action. Never resting. Characters are going to do something uninteresting for a minute? End chapter, switch to new characters, they're in the middle of an action scene. Run away from dinosaurs. Plan escape to Hawaii. Boat you're on explodes. Back in Hawaii. Now New York City. Boom boom boom.

It was actually sort of tiring to read, sometimes, but it kept me engaged. Plus, I mean, it's got psy
William Pepper
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is fun. Just pure fun. Dinosaurs. PSYCHIC dinosaurs. Warrior gorillas. Neanderthals. Lost city of Atlantis. Time travel. Brave wisecracking heroes with jet packs and other cool gadgets.

Did I mention psychic dinosaurs?

This book is like when I was a kid and would dump out my box of action figures and let them go at it. Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars guys and the "Love Boat" crew (Yes, they had action figures too. Yes, I had some. Don't judge me.) all fighting side by side to save human
Fredrik
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
so this is a tie-in novel to the roleplaying game Spirit of the Century, a light-hearted pastiche of 1920s era pulp adventure fiction... or its modern retro-interpretations such as Indiana Jones, The Rocketeer etc. The book delivers on that premise, but it nevertheless falls flat by going on too damn long. The concept of "Gorilla Khan the Conqueror Ape takes over the world with an army of psychic dinosaurs" is very, very silly and the only way to take that story seriously is... I don't know if y ...more
David
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pulp
Rollicking good time. Wendig does a great job of bringing Jet Black, Sally Slick, Mack Silver and the rest of the Spirit of the Century cast to life. I'm very glad I supported this project on Kickstarter -- I've already gotten more than my money's worth.
John Utech
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Got this as part of a Kickstarter package. Greatest deal in recent history. Waiting for the next book in the series with great anticipation.

Thanks Evil Hat!
Michael
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent throw back to the pulp adventures of old with modern style. Lots of interesting characters and ends with a wonderful cliffhanger.
Jackie B!
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks

Fun read! A great pulp fiction story full of psychic dinosaurs, conquerer apes, and a group of heroes called The Century Club.
Ryan
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freakin awesome!
Frank Jarome
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terrific pulp read, can't wait for the sequel. But even more than that, I want to see the Benjamin Hu and Professor Khan novels. Hell, I want it all, this was so much fun...

Garrett Jones
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-favorites
Review pending from The Ranting Dragon.
Elias Helfer
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book gets one star from me just for being a tie-in to Spirit of the Century. I really enjoyed seeing that universe brought to life, and seeing a roleplaying session brought to life. Very cool.

Unfortunately, that is the main thing this book has going for it, while it has a lot of other things going against it. The plot is okay, though not very cohesive. The writing, meanwhile, leaves a lot to be desired. It's hammy and repetitive. There are a lot of similes in the book, and most of them are
Aaron
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
So this is a very pulp book.

I'm familiar with some of Wendig's other works, but most of those are in the categories of role playing games and writing advice books. On the former, I honestly can't speculate how much of those were Wendig's contributions, but I won't pretend to say that I can view those works objectively (I have a very love-hate relationship with the rules and end results of what I feel are stellar concepts). On the latter, I would say Wendig's style is more like that of a drunken
D.M. Twigg
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Background
Spirit of the Century is a successful and well-regarded gaming line done by Evil Hat Productions. Only being vaguely aware of the original game, I believed it was about airships during the turn of the century time. When given the opportunity to review a complimentary advanced review copy of Spirit of the Century original fiction by Chuck Wendig, I leapt at the opportunity. I was curious how I would perceive it knowing little about the license. Simply put, I was impressed. With Wendig’s
Gef
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, pulp
I didn't have a clue about Dinocalypse Now's connection to a role playing game until after reading it. It wouldn't have impacted my reaction to the story, though looking back, I kind of see how the constant action and outlandish characters would lend themselves to that kind of game. Spirit of the Century is the name of the game, with a very strong pulp adventure element from the early- to mid-twentieth century.

To describe the plot, I can go one of two ways: either bullet point the convoluted rol
Eoghann Irving
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pulp-fiction
I've always had a soft spot for pulp fiction so the basic notion of Dinocalypse Now immediately appealed to me. Using the setting for role playing game Spirit of The Century, author Chuck Wendig gives up a flat out and unapologetic pulp story that features "can do" heroes, science, magic and psychic dinosaurs.

Well technically it's psychic lizard people who control dinosaurs, but now we're just splitting hairs.

Is the science ludicrous? Yes of course it is. Does the plot to conquer the world actua
Ethan
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Chuck Wending is a man of endless creativity, and the talent to back it up. Sometimes, however, maybe a few too many ideas get into that marvelous dome of his, and every single one of them landed on the pages of "Dinocalypse Now", a novel that includes adventure, steampunk, telepathic dinosaurs, normal dinosaurs, intellgent ape-people, not-so-intelligent neandrethals from under-the-earth, Atlantis, and a super villain trying to end all of time itself.
If this all sounds like a bit much to cram in
Brian
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It was difficult to tell the procession of the story, which has a world-tour feeling similar to a James Bond film, should 007 visit underground caverns and Atlantis in addition to the standard tourist locations. However, I felt lost during some location transitions and had a hard time remember who was where.

The various Century Club characters and their rogues gallery are well characterized, with a good dose of fun, and perhaps an even larger dose of the Spirit of the Century RPG spirit infused
Michael Fierce

3 1/2 STARS.
Enjoyable Pulp Adventure.

The main story itself was not as engaging as the rest of this fun book. I liked all the characters, thought the dinosaurs and psychosaurs were cool, and the Ape Men - especially Professor Khan - kept me reading non-stop for 2 days straight, to the end.

DEFINITELY want to keep my jet pack on to see where this is heading!

Ryan
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This felt a bit like eating at a pulp fiction buffet. You've got superheroes, time travel, psychic dinosaurs, two-fisted scientists, spunky mechanics, psychic dinosaurs, intelligent apes, ghost detectives, subterranean cavemen, and more. Thirteen-year-old me would have absolutely lost his shit at the prospect of all this, and to be honest thirty-three-year-old me was pretty damned excited about the idea as well.

At the same time, *all* of those things in the same book sounds like it could almost
Goodreads Librari...: Combine not taking? 5 147 Apr 12, 2012 11:39PM
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Spirit of the Century
  • Riding the Red Horse
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Tales of the Far West
  • The Lost Level
  • Ack-Ack Macaque (Ack-Ack Macaque, #1)
  • Jane Carver of Waar (Jane Carver, #1)
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Seven Wonders
  • The Man from Mars: Ray Palmer's Amazing Pulp Journey
  • The Lost Suns (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #3)
  • Mutants & Masterminds: RPG
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • Reanimators
  • The Charge
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 3
  • Astro City, Vol. 8: Shining Stars
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th

Dinocalypse Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beyond Dinocalypse (Dinocalypse Trilogy, #2)
  • Dinocalypse Forever: Spirit of the Century Presents (Dinocalypse Trilogy Book 3)