Start by marking “After Hello” as Want to Read:
After Hello

After Hello

What if the first day of your relationship was the only day you had?

Seventeen-year-old Sara is a seeker. She’s always on the lookout for the perfect moment to capture with her ever-present, point-and-shoot camera, especially on her first trip to New York City. Sam is a finder. He has a knack for finding what other people can’t—a first-edition book or the last two tickets
Published September 4th 2012 by Shadow Mountain (first published August 21st 2012)

Start your review of After Hello
Kathy
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Original. That's my word to describe this contemporary young adult book. I did not feel like I was rereading a story that had already been told. From the summary I was expecting something with paranormal or magical elements (seeker & finder) but there was nothing paranormal about this book at all. It's a fabulously written story with some depth to it.

After Hello chronicles the last 24 hours of Sara's visit to New York City. Sara sees Sam through her camera lens and follows him. After their init
Annalisa
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I feel bad giving another one of Mangum's books 3 stars, like what I'm saying is her writing is mediocre or average, when that's not what I mean at all. 3 stars means like and I liked Sara and Sam's story. I loved the idea of a romance between two people who only had 24 hours together.

From the very first chapter, I had a clear vision of who Sam was (and to a smaller degree Sara), and I wanted to get to know him. I wanted to fall in love with New York the way I could see Mangum had and expressed
Vicki
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I thought this was a sweet story about two young people, Sam and Sara, who meet in New York. They end up spending one single day together. It sounds like it might not be much that could happen in the book for just a 24 hour period of time, but a lot happens and lessons are learned.

Both Sara (without an H) and Sam have stories to tell that have an emotional hold on them. Neither has told others about their story, but they decide to tell each other. It's cathartic in many ways. The releasing of th
Suzanna
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Pretty boring and I just couldn't come to terms with the fact that we have two complete teenage strangers who meet in New York City and go on a pretty pointless quest, all the while sharing their deep rooted issues and connecting in a way that they've never connected with anyone before all within 24 hours. I'm not buying it.
Sheila
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was so thrilled to have Author Lisa Mangum give me an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of her new book called, After Hello. This is her first book after she finished writing her very successful trilogy, The Hourglass Door.

After Hello, a stand alone book, takes place all in one day in New York City.

I first heard of this book, early Spring, at the Authorpalooza event at Barnes and Noble. I asked Lisa what she had been working on. She began to tell me about this great story of two teens, who meet fo
Shambhawi P.
After Hello is the story of two lost people who found each other.

Sara sees a random guy on a busy New York street and snaps a photo of him on impulse. Sam sees a random girl on the streets stalking him and decides to talk to her on impulse. What we get is an extremely cute romance that leaves a big smile on our faces as we read it.

It is not a perfect book by any means. Some parts were grossly overdone an dialogues tended to border on cheesy. This book was a perfect example of meet-cute clichés
Sara Cardon
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story. Great characters, neat setting, and interesting idea of trading. But the element that wowed me is the author's way of gently infusing a deeper meaning throughout - thought provoking ideas on forgiveness, letting go, holding on, sacrifice, and gifts. I love the sugar packets and what they represent. I like Sam, Sara, and the interesting people they come across.
Sarah Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Deseret Book and Netgalley.)
Sara is in New York with her father. He has a meeting, trying to sell his website to some other guys, and she’s waiting to have lunch with him and go sightseeing. Her dad cancels though – he’s still in his meeting, so Sara boldly follows a guy (Sam) who comes out of a bookstore wearing a hoodie with her favourite band’s name on it.

They begin talking, and Sara finds out that S
Chu
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
some_text

Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

This novel reminds me so much of Rachel Cohn & David Levithan’s Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist: two strangers, meeting in the city that never sleeps, and spending 24 hours together.

Sara (without an H), comes to New York with her father, hoping it would salvage what little relationship they had. But her father had been busy with meetings, leaving alone with her camera wandering in the busy streets of New York. Sara is a seeker. She always wanted to capture
Jeanine
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly fresh and elegant. Highly recommend.
Beth Pearson
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was actually going to be more of a 2-3 star book for me....I just wasn't loving it. It kind of just plodded along without sucking me in. But, at the end, then I got sucked into the romance of it all so when it ended, I was feeling all sweet and smiley and decided I really liked it. Yes, it could have been exhuastion talking since it was 2 in the morning, but none the less, I finished it feeling very favorable. So 4 stars even though I was just o.k. with it for most of it. (I'm a sucker for ...more
Dee
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a really sweet story about two young adults, Sara & Sam, who meet and spend a day together in NYC.
The story takes place in one day. It’s amazing how so much happens, but it really goes together well. I didn’t feel the book was rushed, in fact, I found it to be a slow read.
Throughout the day, Sara & Sam form a friendship that helps them deal with problems they are dealing with. I loved how just simple words or events could have such an impact on helping them each overcome their fear
Lisa
This book makes me think a lot.

"No one can make you feel anything. Emotions are whatever you choose to feel. It might be an instantaneous decision—to choose to be happy or sad or offended or hurt—but it is still a decision."

And it kind of makes me think of how I've been reacted to stuff that's happened in my life. I mean, I chose to feel how I feel, be it disappointment, or anger, or sadness, or happiness. I feel what I felt because I chose to. In some ways, that's an epiphany. I can choose no
Carol Nicolas
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
I really enjoyed After Hello, a book about two teens who meet in New York City and fall in love. Both are complex characters with problems, who are trying to move forward. They have just one day to really connect with each other, and both must reveal their pasts in order to begin to heal. I loved the idea of trading, and how they were able to help each other and others and get to the desired outcome by trading. Throughout the day, Sam and Sara meet many interesting people who share their wisdom ...more
Taylor
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I got this book from a friend, and I really liked it. I loved the idea of the whole story taking place in just one day!! Now I want to write a book like that. It was fun and I thought that because the time of the book was just one day you got to know the characters on a deeper level than you do in many YA books like this. I really enjoyed it!

Sara is in New York for one day with her dad, waiting to go explore the city with him, she snaps a picture of a boy coming out of a bookstore, intrigued by
Heather
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was not horribly bad, nor was it good. It was just kind of there and I didn't ever get into it. Halfway through I started skimming. I didn't connect with Sara (without an "h") as a character.

The comment (on pg 99) stating that it never snows in Arizona really bothered me. I want to read true facts in books, even when the book is fictional. :)

Having grown up in Arizona I happen to know that it DOES snow in Arizona. In fact we went tubing every year near the Sunrise ski resort.

I wouldn'
Erica T
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. Nothing wrong with it; just nothing that stood out and made me enjoy it. And I found it quite predictable. I honestly guessed the ending very early in the book. The story is kind of unbelievable as well. Who let's their 17 year old wander around New York by themselves the first time they've ever been there? And the way Sara talks to and treats her dad? Whoa! Kind of ridiculous. Overall, just kind of a 'meh' book for me.
Kari
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like a lot of the imagery that Mangum writes with and always enjoy the ethereal aspect it at first, but then the story usually drags for me and I'm racing to get done with what I already know will happen. I did enjoy the story of Sam and Sara, it was sweet, and I liked the processing of life's traumas. But not much memorable here for me to say, "yeah that's a good book," more like, "eh it's a decent, short read."
Tammy
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from Lisa Mangum! I was forunate enough to receive a ARC copy of this book and I could not put it down! Great characters and a moving story line. Loving photography myself, I could relate to Sara and her love and quest for the right picture no matter where she was. I too have an ever present camera :)
Cindy Davis
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It started with The Hour Glass Door trilogy. I have been a fan of Lisa Magnum's ever since. I was so excited to finally get my hands on this book. From the back cover " What if the FIRST DAY of your relationship was the ONLY day you had? " I thought it was fast paced and I really enjoyed the relationship between Sam and Sara...and set in NYC? Well, I was hooked. It's a fun read.
Jacqueline
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read the whole book out loud to my roommates in one weekend! It was so hard to go to the places that we needed to because we just wanted to keep reading! Most people said they didn't like the ending and wanted a sequel, but I actually really liked it and I would suggest this if you are looking for a fast read! Such a cute fate/destiny story. We create our own destinies!
Abby
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. Five stars for Lisa Mangum. She nailed this book. The realistic fiction with her amazing writing and detail made it a great read. The characters had depth to them and a lot happened in the allotted time. The overall idea was very original and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a sweet romance.
Jovita Fernando
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-classic
Smile.

I am thoroughly satisfied and pleased. This book was like a dream that could become a reality and yet feel like a dream... It made me imagine so much...

I don't love it but I really really really like it and I think liking this book is so much intimate than loving it. Get what I mean?

* Beautiful cover ;)
Colette
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pioneer-library
Sometimes the book was a little slow or I would have given it more stars. It was one of those books that I was okay to put down for a couple of days. I never really had that overwhelming desire to pick it back up either. However, I did like the message of the book. And it did leave me with a small smile on my face.

***Content review ***
Totally clean.
Mandi Murphy
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly moving book. I was really pleased with it. As an author, I found it a good study on writing as well.
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok. I would've liked a more solid ending or a sequel or something. In my opinion too many questions are left unanswered
Sandra Del Rio
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book began with such a great concept, but it quickly turned into a disaster as the story progressed. I’ll just summarize my thoughts into two lists between what I liked and what I didn’t.

What I Liked:
*The entire idea of Sam trading things to get a deep desire is interesting and exciting. I
had fun with the parts of the novel in which he would trade items to ultimately get to
another that someone else wanted/needed.
*The concluding sequences of the story were also exciting to read. The ar
Queenielyn
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not really familiar with the author either. Never read one of her books before and I picked up this book by random. Sometimes it's just really awesome that you got to read a random book simply because of how the title attracts you so. That's what happened between this book and me- we just connect. Like it's got something good to trade with me. You read my book and you'll get what you need/want. That whole concept was included in the plot and I find it new and interesting. I'm still finding out h ...more
McKaley Clark
I remember absolutely loving The Hourglass Door series, by Lisa Mangum, back when I was in middle school. While I don’t necessarily remember the plot, I remember absolutely devouring these books. So when I found a different book by Lisa Mangum, I was excited to read it! Sadly, I found myself slightly disappointed in this novel, After Hello. It is a romance, which I tend to have a soft spot for. I found it amusing that the perspective changed from the two main characters, Sam and Sara, with each ...more
Corrie DeWolfe (Corrie's Book Nook)
This was totally a meet cute story. And I was here for it the whole way through. I found it original, and equal parts heartwarming, and deeply sad.

I came upon After Hello, after finding out Lisa Mangum will a keynote speaker at a readers/writers festival I am going to in August. I wanted to read something by her, and hopes it would be in my library's circulation.

This takes play in the course of 24hrs. When Fate brings Sara - without an h - and Sam together outside a bookstore on a busy New Yor
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
AP Language SHS: Lucy Bradshaw Summer Reading 1 9 Sep 16, 2017 09:04AM

• Runaway
  • Hawk
  • After Obsession
  • Match Me If You Can
  • Summer Love
  • Sophia, Princess Among Beasts
  • The Inventor's Secret (Cragbridge Hall, #1)
  • Seventh Heaven
  • How to Meet Boys
  • A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Christmas at Pennington's
Lisa Mangum has loved and worked with books ever since elementary school, when she volunteered at the school library during recess. Her first paying job was shelving books at the Sandy Library. She worked for five years at Waldenbooks while she attended the University of Utah, graduating with honors with a degree in English. An avid reader of all genres, she has worked in the publishing department ...more

News & Interviews

Gotta keep moving; can't stop; stagnation kills. 13 likes
“I believe that sometimes people come into your life at exactly the right moment to give you exactly what you need at that moment.” 11 likes