Start by marking “Lacrimosa (Requiem, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lacrimosa (Requiem, #1)

Lacrimosa (Requiem #1)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  542 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
It’s been three thousand years since the fall of Azzaziel and the rebirth of evil; three thousand years since the Sentinal Order, an elite group of warrior angels, returned to Celestium. Their job—rid Earth of the dark creatures, the UnHoly. And with luck, end Azza’s rule.

As if casting out demons isn’t hard enough, five-hundred-year-old Nesy has to masquerade as a teenage
Kindle Edition, Kindle edition, 344 pages
Published March 5th 2012 by Compress Press (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lacrimosa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lacrimosa

Zuleeza
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

This needs to be awesome because;

1. Lacrimosa by Mozart is one of my favourite songs.

2. Lacrymosa by Evanescence is one of my other favourite songs.

3. Lacrimosa by Kalafina is another of my favourite song.

Not related to the book you say? Well, I'd read a book for strangest reasons because I'm weird like that.

Full review

Actual rating 4.5 stars

It was indeed awesome. I thought I had enough of angel books but this one truly changed my mind.

First, I had
Sylvia
For the love of God this book is utterly amazing! It's dark, devilish, gothic, haunting, tender, poetic, beautiful, melancholy, captivating, enthralling and one non-stop ride of fantastical action. I took my time reading this because the writing felt like I was listening to music (hence the title of the book). The words just floated beautifully. There was so much feelings and emotions stirring through me as I devoured the words. There were so many highs and so many lows, and so many heartbreakin ...more
Soumi
Sometime it’s really hard to convey our feeling in few words. This book bewitched me from the very moment I first read the book blurb.

It’s been three thousand years since the fall of Azzaziel and the rebirth of evil; He has been creating army of unholy intending to defeat the angels and rule the earth. It’s been three thousand years since Sentinels, a group of worrier angels, are hunting down the dark creatures. Five hundred years old Nessy is one of the best sentinels, she never mistakes, never
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
WOW!!!! I don't even know where to start. I have been thinking all night and morning about it. I will come back and do a thorough review very soon!
I would like to send my sincere thanks to the author, Christine Fonseca, for allowing me to read and review this book. This review is also posted on the following sites:
Every once in a while, a book comes along and you are just floored.
Nikki  Peterson
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nesy hasn't been in human for for hundreds of years. With this latest assignment she has to take on a body. The assignment is to vanquish Aydan, the devil, Azza's apprentice. He is the worst of the worst and feared by angel and demon alike. Nesy on the other hand is one of the best of the Sentinal, angel warriors.

When Nesy and Aydan first meet up, they are both overwhelmed by memories from a past life. One they both thought they had left behind. At one time Nesy was Elle and Aydan was Adam. And,
Christine Fonseca
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
So excited to release the paperback edition of LACRIMOSA. And yes, this is the boy from the backcover of the hardback! And yes, the girl is on the backcover of this book. Clever, yes? LOL!
Erin
Oh, I just loved this book!!!! I absolutely love angel stories, and I was excited to read Lacrimosa with the twist of having the heroine be an angel, too. I started it this morning and I couldn't put it down (yeah, didn't get a lot accomplished around the house today...)!!

Nesy is a 500-year-old member of the Sentinals, warrior angels sent to earth to destroy the Unholy. Her duty this time has her posing as a 17-year-old high school student as she hunts and damns Azzaziel's right hand man. But
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Lacrimosa grabs readers and takes them on an emotional journey from the first page to the last.I liked the characters of Nessy & Aydan very much. Nessy is a smart and kick-ass sort of girl, who is confused at the beginning about why Aydan reminds her of Adam. But then that’s a part of the plot. I also love the darkness in Aydan.
the author has the ability to create great characters!!!
Tom
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 3.5 for a story that I had very high expectations going in after a really cool prequel. I’m giving the fourth star because I think a lot had to do with my mood and the writing was pretty good. I was coming off Chasing Magic one of my all-time favorite books so almost anything was going to be a little bit of a letdown.

Nessy is a Sentinel, a warrior angel whose job is to vanquish the Unholy. She is sent to earth with Aydan as her target. Nessy is an elite Sentinel who never makes mistakes until
Nickle Love
Where to begin? You know how something starts as intense and exciting, and after a while it gets dull and boring and you'd end up disappointed with it? Well, that's not the case with Christine Fonseca's Lacrimosa.

I like Christine Fonseca's writing style, her words are captivating. The moment I started reading, I was drawn to the story right away, I could feel the emotions her characters are experiencing. And after two chapters, I was already hooked. I immediately fell in love with the characte
Ali Cross
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot express how beautifully written this book is. Rich and full of texture, Fonseca has opened my mind to her world of angels and demons. She made me think of the world in a completely different way. And you know an author has done amazing world building when you put down the book thinking the author's way IS the right way.

This book reminded me of EVERNEATH and INK EXCHANGE--two of my favorite books.

If you like angel demon stories, or kick-butt girl stories, or books with fated love storie
Heather McCorkle
I consider myself extremely lucky to have been one of the first people to get to read this novel. It blew me away and completely changed the way I think about angels and demons. This novel is for anyone who loves rich story telling that engages the reader on a deep level and keeps them coming back for more. LOVED it!
Aa'Ishah
Lacrimosa is one of those books you have to bear with before the story becomes truly engaging and you feel sufficiently invested. I spent a lot of this frustrated with what I was reading and inwardly groaning at how far I was from the end; it seemed to drag on and I think at one point I was tempted to just stop reading. But some parts of it were good, and if the level at which the ending was written was consistent, this could have been great.

Nesy is a Sentinel, a level of angel whose job it is t
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
To be frank, my first experience with ‘Angels’ wasn’t very good and so I never thought of reading more books about them, until I received Dies Irae & Lacrimosa by this author. Since Dies Irae was a novella, I decided to give it a chance thinking that if I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t venture on with Lacrimosa. But Dies Irae managed to change my mentality about fantasy novels based on Angels.

Lacrimosa picks up after three thousand years since the ending that Dies Irae provided us with. Nessy h
Savanes
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, series
I would NOT normally read "angels and demons" books maybe I have a wrong opinion of the subject "over-religious/cheesy" material but anyways i would not. However, one of my friends on GR made such a good review of Lacrimosa that it got my curiosity level pretty high. I read some other reviews and was convinced I should have a go. And WOW, it was GREAT!!! Naah it was AWESOME.

Christine Fonseca has a way of telling stories, you just need to know more. Chapters are short and intense which lead me to
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Nessy is a warrior angel, or a sentinel. Her job is to kill the UnHoly, or fallen angels, and protect the souls of the humans living on Earth.

She is very good at her job, one of the best, until her latest assignment. Her job is to dispatch of Ayden. He has sucked the souls out of many people.

Unfortunately for her this job is not simple. Ayden is bring out many feelings and buried memories of her time on Earth. He may possibly be the love of her Earthly existence, Adam.

How can an angel kill the
Shelly Smith
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Being a Young Adult, hormone-fueled-teenage-love-story, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the appalling darkness in this book! At first you're like, "awwwww..." and then you're like, "he did what?!?!" and then, "awwww...(again)" and then, "Ahhhh! Holy ____!... Azryel's Wings!"

You aren't sure whether to hate Aydan or love him... I guess you have to read it and decide for yourself! BUT, BE CAREFUL, once you are sucked in to Aydan and Nessy's world, you will NEED more and likely find
Sherri Wilson
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an emotional journey this book takes you on. Makes you wonder how many of us really are spiritual beings living our journeys on earth. The times you want to stretch your wings, or float on a beautiful sky just might be moments remembered... I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and am anxiously awaiting the next one.
Tiffany Holme
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, paperback, signed

Okay I seriously hate to start a review like this but OMG!!! Seriously this book blew me away!! I was amazed at the amount of emotion there was and yet it didn't take away from the story. I am still (4 days later) having issues getting past just writing sentence after sentence of wow! I went into this book with fairly high expectations. That is not typical of me at all but high expectations and all this book blew me out of the water. Yes, you have your Angels that are here to vanquish the evil,
Erika
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Title: Lacrimosa
Author: Christine Fonseca
Publisher: Compass Press
Date of Release: March 21st, 2012
Summary From Goodreads:

“LACRIMOSA reaches out, grabs readers by the heart, and takes them on an emotional journey from the first page to the last. The last novel you’ll need to read to understand true sacrifice.” ~Elana Johnson, Author of POSSESSION

Angela
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Version (free from author for honest review)

What is a young angel to do when she is sent to kill a demon who turns out to be her lover when she was a human? This is the battle raging inside of Nesy, the angel sent to kill Aydan, a demon. As Nesy goes to kill Aydan she senses something very familiar about him, something that makes her not carry out her killing. The longer she thinks about it and the more she sees Aydan and tries to kill him, the clearer it becomes…Aydan is Adam, the man N
Darlene
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yvensong, S. Michele, Cher-lynn Maynard
Recommended to Darlene by: Heather McCorkle, thank you!
This is such a quick paced and exciting book that I had to declare, early into reading it, that it couldn’t be my night-time book. The subject matter of Angels, good versus evil and the grey in between, is disturbing in itself, but Ms. Fonseca’s style of writing keeps the action immediate, in-your-face. AND, there is the internal dialogue the main characters go through while trying to bring about a greater good.

The characters were strong and likable, unless they were meant not to be. The evil on
Jen*The Geeky Book Gal*
Nesy is a 500 year old Sentinal Warrior Angel whose job is to track and banish evil UnHoly creatures from Earth,protecting the humans. Problem is, her latest assignment turns out to be Aydan- the love of her life when she was human and before she became an Angel. If she kills him, it's like killing a part of herself. If she doesn't, she is dooming the entire world and allowing Azzaziel, the leader of the UnHoly to gain a foothold on Earth. What a choice...

I was captivated and spellbound almost f
Adriana
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book had me hooked from the very start. Talk about forbidden love. It has left me speechless, left me wanting more.

Nessy is a 500year old sentinal - a worrier angerl and is one of the best, she is sent on a mission to kill an unholy ( the unholy feed on human souls). The unholy that she is sent to destroy is Ayden and when they meet its not that easy to kill him. Its supposed to be simple go in and destroy him but Ayden reminds her of her former life her forer lover that she lost. Throu
Carly
May 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book after reading the first few reviews on goodreads - I was looking for a book that I can connect with - experience the emotions of the characters, live through their highs and lows with them. This story had so much potential but I feel it really fell short.

I didn't connect with a single character, didn't care what happened to them, didnt feel a single emotion. The plot was completely cookie cutter predictable and obvious from the first few pages. I finished the book on autop
Dvora
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Dvora by: Brooke Delvecchio
This story was really beautiful!! I enjoyed reading from both POV. It flowed nicely and the writing was extremely poetic and made want to keep turning the pages. The reason why I did not give it 5 stars is because it was a bit too predictable from the beginning. I'm usually really bad at predicting endings, but I had a feeling about this one. There was also no twists and turns. Perhaps because it was from both POV. But I really did enjoy the story and I am looking forward to reading more of Chri ...more
Karen
Loved Christine's writing style. My heart ached for this poor couple, and I loved all the characters--even the bad ones. I'll admit I was very worried about how it would end, but wow what an ending. Very well done. I finished late at night then went to bed and dreamed of black and silver blood, so you know the book is good if it affected my dreams. ;) Looking forward to reading more from Christine.
Sara
Not sure what to write about this book, but how much I loved it!! This is a story of redemption, and love, and sacrifices. Most of it is sad. Some of it is happy. And a little bit is tearful. This book drags you in from the first page, and doesn't let you go until the last page. I love Nesy and her fellow angels, and Aydan, but not his followers. I cannot wait for the second book to come out!
Christine Fonseca
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm so happy to be able to bring this story to everyone. I first wrote it in 2009...-and now, here it is. Yes, it is angsty. And yes, it is highly emotional. But that's the story these characters told...I just tried to keep up :)
Marie
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus Christ!
This book knocked me out! It was just brilliant!
The only reason I didn't award the full 5 stars was because the ending could have been dragged out a little longer. It seemed a tad rushed at the end!
But god damn it this book was good.
  • Angel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #1)
  • Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Preordained (Preordained, #1)
  • Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord, #1)
  • Rise from Darkness (Battle for Souls, #1)
  • When Copper Suns Fall (Lost Immortals, #1)
  • Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes, #1)
  • Boyfriend From Hell (Falling Angels Saga, #1)
  • Blood of the Sorcerer  (The Kingdom Chronicles #2)
  • Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)
  • Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary, #1)
  • Rapture (Rapture Trilogy, #1)
  • Ignite (Ignite, #1)
  • Dark Light of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #2)
  • Wolfsong
  • Before (Heven and Hell, #0.5)
Award-winning and critically-acclaimed author of fiction and non-fiction. Lover of books, lattes, and family. Passionate about humanity. Critically-acclaimed titles include Transcend, The Requiem Series, and The Solomon Experiment series, and Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students, second edition.

When Christine isn’t writing a book, she can be found sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes next to a
More about Christine Fonseca

Requiem (3 books)
  • Unholy Death (Requiem #2)
  • Redemption's Kiss (Requiem #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“There are few things I hate more than feeling weak. Needing help or failing top the list. The worst, however, is knowing that all three just happened.” 14 likes
“A hand in mine.. hot. Breath on my neck... sweet. The feel of lips on my own... forbidden.” 13 likes