Start by marking “In Her Blood (Catherine Berlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Her Blood (Catherine Berlin, #1)

In Her Blood (Catherine Berlin #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The first in a series of crime novels starring the magnificent Catherine Berlin, a civilian investigator whose long-standing heroin addiction is only part of her story.

On a bone-chilling February morning, Catherine Berlin, investigator with the Financial Services Agency, finds the almost-headless body of her informant, 'Juliet Bravo', rolling in a shallow reach of the Tham
Published 2012 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about In Her Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Blood

Sharon
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Investigator Catherine Berlin is on a case involving local loan sharks in London. As far as she could tell the case looked pretty straight forward, but that was to change when her informant is found floating in Limehouse Basin.
With just seven days to solve the crime, Catherine knows she has no time to waste, but will she have enough time to find out what happened to her informant?

With twist and turns throughout this story Aussie author Annie Hauxwell has written a very entertaining and engross
Angela Savage
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
‘Everyone is hooked on something,’ says the back cover blurb of Annie Hauxwell’s debut novel In Her Blood. I quickly became hooked on this novel.

That said, I don’t believe the back cover blurb does it justice. Hauxwell herself offers a more compelling synopsis in an author Q&A on the Penguin website:

‘Catherine Berlin, an investigator with a financial regulator, finds the almost-headless body of her informant in a shallow reach of the Thames. The death is linked to Berlin’s investigation of a
Michael
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Catherine Berlin is not your average investigator. Not only does she not work for the cops but she is also a heroin user who relies on a controversial doctor for her supplies. Her current case seems straightforward investigating dodgy dealing by a local loan shark Doyle until her informant is found dead floating in Limehouse Basin. Berlin is convinced the killer is Doyle only to find out thanks to local police that Berlin's informant is infact Doyle's daughter Gina.

In another part of town Berlin
Karen
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Whilst it's not particularly unusual to have a flawed central protagonist, unapologetic ones are less common. Add being female, and that makes IN HER BLOOD's Catherine Berlin a rather rare beast, and a very welcome one.

Set in London after the Global Financial meltdown, Berlin is a government investigator who receives a tip-off about a local loan shark, then finds her informant floating in the Limehouse Basin, brutally killed. The first complication is that her female informant has been anonymous
Jo
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for the Australian Women Writers Challenge, I would have stopped reading after the first 30 pages.

It is not only that I am not a big fan of noir, although that didn't help. The main characters are depressed and hopeless. Their world - London in a particularly cold winter, in the depths of the GFC - is bleak. Doom seems to be nigh. I know it's all part of the genre, but it just doesn't do that much for me.

What really made it difficult for me to keep reading w
Lucas Bale
I found this book because Annie Hauxwell was shortlisted for the CWA Debut Dagger award. It's cleanly written, the plot is reasonably compelling and the main protagonist is flawed, yet driven. There is plenty of conflict – between Berlin and her addiction, between her and her box/her organisation, her work colleagues, the antagonist(s) – in fact, almost all the main storytelling elements are there. Yet, the book fell flat for me. London is reasonably well drawn, but it's a sketch rather than a p ...more
Deb Bodinnar
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have heard Annie talk at a couple of Sisters In Crime events and decided to give her novels a go. Most of the books I have read this year have all been set in Australia, so this one obviously took me to a part of the world I don't know at all. I felt Catherine Berlin was a strange character to get to know but I did warm to her mid way through the book. Interesting plot with interwoven characters made for a great read. Will be following up In Her Blood by reading A Bitter Taste next.
Joan
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat entertaining, but I never warmed to any of the characters.

And while it could be amusing, I just felt the author could not make up her mind what kind of book she wanted it to be, so if came off half-baked as comic and as a mystery and as a comic mystery.
MaryG2E
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found it hard to get into this book at the start. There is a swirl of characters introduced in a somewhat random way and I had to keep turning back pages to figure out who was connected to whom and in what way.

The somewhat diffident character of the main protagonist, Catherine Berlin, is rather sketchily portrayed, and I found it hard to warm to her. The author describes her as 55, thin, with greying hair. We learn that she works as a civilian investigator in the Financial Services Agency and
Lauren K
In Her Blood is the crime fiction debut of Aussie author, Annie Hauxwell. Interestingly, the protagonist Catherine Berlin is an investigator leading a double-life as a heroin addict. Set in London during tough economic times, loan sharks are on the rise and one in particular becomes the subject of Berlin’s investigations. But things become more serious, more dangerous when one of her informants is found dead and the death is linked to loan shark, Archie Doyle. A second body is then linked to Ber ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine books 3 17 Apr 10, 2016 12:23PM
Annie Hauxwell was born in the East End of London and grew up there and in Melbourne, Australia. Her working life has included stints as a psychiatric nurse, cleaner, sociologist, taxi driver and lawyer. She abandoned the law to work as an investigator, an occupation she has happily pursued for more than twenty years, and which she now combines with writing.

She divides her time between Castlemaine
More about Annie Hauxwell...

Catherine Berlin (4 books)
  • A Bitter Taste (Catherine Berlin, #2)
  • A Morbid Habit (Catherine Berlin, #3)
  • House of Bones (Catherine Berlin, #4)