Start by marking “Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful” as Want to Read:
Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful

Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful

(Strange and Wonderful)

Are kids going to love this book? Is a frog waterproof? The latest title in the popular Strange and Wonderful series delivers the awe-inspiring variety of the world’s hoppiest amphibians. The goliath frog is more than a foot long. The tiny gold frog could sit on a dime. Some frogs have camouflage. Others wear bold colors warning their enemies that they are poisonous. Some ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Boyd Mill Press

To ask other readers questions about Frogs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frogs!

Jim Erekson
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is Henderson's illustration. The photo-realism is among the best I've seen in the trompe-l'oeil tradition. This is because at first glance and from a distance it looks like photography, but when I stopped and actually looked and started to read, it was easy to see the watercolor technique. So it doesn't have the saturated or airbrushed feel the photorealism of the 1980s had.

As differentiated text, this book brings up some interesting feature issues. In words, the
Ashlee Christians
1. I Don't Want to be a Frog by Dev Petty, 2015

2. This book is about a young frog who does not want anything to do with being a frog. He goes through different kinds of animals he would rather be like a cat or a rabbit. He talks about the characteristics he doesn't like about frogs like being too wet and slimy and eating too many bugs. At the end, there is a wolf who tells him how good it is to be a frog because wolves don't eat frogs. This could give children a better look at what animals are a
Maggie
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In only 32 pages this book presents a great quantity of fascinating information and illustrations featuring frogs and toads, which are also frogs. The author takes an unusual approach by beginning the narrative with, “Make a sound like a frog. Go ahead. Pretend you are a frog and make its sound.” Then he explains that frogs from many parts in the world make a great variety of sounds, even some that resemble quacking and barking.
By reading along a student learns the meaning of the terms amphibian
Dolly
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific nonfiction book about frog that is just filled with fascinating facts, but is not overwhelming in its detail. We learned so much from reading this book - I had no concept about the diversity of the frog population around the world.

We discovered that there's a paradoxical frog in South America whose tadpole is more than three times larger than the adult frog. We learned that of the more than six thousand kinds of frogs in the world, only the Pacific tree frog of the western Un
Amy Walters
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This book is definitely intended for an older audience, which when I read the description, I was under the impression that it was suitable for younger readers. If I were to use this in an Early Childhood class, I would only use it to introduce frogs, and have a discussion on them. I would never expect them to read it on their own. I know they would not be able to understand it on their own. I do really think I would buy this book, only something I would get from the library, and use it for somet ...more
Mackenzie Beals
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
This book does a great job of informing readers about how all frogs are not the same. All frogs vary in their size, color, sounds, mating, and the ways they live. There are labeled illustrations in this book that show how many different types of frogs there are-and that’s not even all of them! Readers will enjoy learning about different types of frogs as well as their life cycle. It is a very informative book that encourages readers to examine what makes frogs strange and wonderful.
Peyton Bell
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply about all sorts of different kinds of frogs and what they can look like and what they can do.
I liked this book because I know my boys would love it, but it's very lengthy so students might lose interest as you read.
I would use this book on the shelf for my boys, but I would also do a read aloud or book talk with it so students can learn about frogs.
Helen
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: waw-options
I thought this was a really good nonfiction book and would work well on the WAW list. I didn't know much about frogs but sure learned a lot, especially about the variety of frogs out there. Some frogs actually have live births! But the text flowed easily and was well-supported by the clear pictures. A yes vote for me.
Helen Kumpel
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is for: PreK-5
Topic: Frogs
Reflection: This book is a wonderful content book about frogs. This would be a great book to introduce to your class when beginning units about life cycles, endangered species, or even talking about textures, colors, etc.
Kelli Dana
Apr 18, 2012 added it
Shelves: science
Science Content:
This book is a wonderful book to use when teach students about frogs or when teaching students about the different animal classifications.It would also be great for teaching about the life cycle of frogs or endanger species facts.
This book would be best for 3-5th graders.
John Moore
Frogs: Strange and Wonderful!, Laurence Pringle
Grades: K-5
Topic: Frogs
Description: This book lists different types of frogs (the Goliath frog, tiny gold frog, tree frogs, etc) and lists facts and descriptions incluiding their habitats, their defense mechanisms like camoflauge, and more.
Karla Talbot
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Starts by introducing the basic characteristics of amphibians. Continues with information detailing the adaptations that enable frogs to survive in various ecosystems. Use with primary animal units or intermediate units on animal adaptations.
Inna Nako
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-content
Grade 3-5, Life cycles of animals, Types of animals/Classifying animals

-this is a great book that shares information on many different types of frogs
-mentions endangered and extinct frogs
-describes basic characteristics of frogs (ex: habitiat, what they do, foos, etc...)
Tracy Yamamoto
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sr2013k-1st
J597.89P Interesting and informative although a bit detailed for K-1st grade. Nice illustrations.
Leslie Zinsmeister
Grade: 3rd-5th
Topic: Amphibian
Stephanie Watson
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good science book for younger students. It talks about different facts about frogs. The book goes through the life cycle of the frog, and talks about where they live.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Interested in frogs? Pringle does a pretty thorough job with this nonfiction picture book about frogs, their habits, habitats, life cycle, etc. Cool illustrations and lots of details.
Shannon Sevcik

1- Characteristics of Living Things
Kiddo
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-with-facts
Another wonderfully wide introduction to a type of animal.

Discussion of extinction at the end.
Emily Molina
Grades K-5
Topic: frogs
Dubovoyalena
K-3, amphibians
Kifflie
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-nonfiction
Very nicely illustrated, informative book about frogs.
Debbie
Silly
Sep 05, 2014
Tanley Mcmullan
Mar 30, 2015

Strange and Wonderful (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Alligators and Crocodiles!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Bats!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Cicadas!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Crows!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Dinosaurs!
  • Dolphins! (Strange and Wonderful)
  • Octopuses!: Strange and Wonderful