Start by marking “Zoey Fools Around (Making Out, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zoey Fools Around (Making Out, #1)

Zoey Fools Around

(Making Out #1)

Zoey is one of a group of kids who have grown up together on a tiny island where everyone thinks they know everything about everybody. But now Zoey has a secret. And all these old friends are about to find out how much they really don't know about each other. Previously published by HarperCollins as "Boyfriends and Girlfriends" and by Pan/Macmillan as "Making Out".
Paperback
Published July 6th 2001 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Zoey Fools Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoey Fools Around

Bree
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenage-angst
This review is for the whole series, I don't want to repeat myself. I loved this series. I had two different editions. I bought the original when I was in eighth grade when it first came out and then the books were re-released with a new cover when I was nineteen. I just recently sold both sets on ebay. My sister and I would pretend we were certain characters. My favorite was Nina and I would skip to the parts that talked about her and Ben's relationship. I love them even though I don't own the ...more
Caitlin
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
ERMAHGERD THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD
KATHERINE APPLEGATE IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR IN THE UNIVERSE.
THIS IS YA CONTEMPORARY AT ITS BEST
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE DUMB SERIES NAME OR THE SUSPECT COVER DESIGN.
IM GOING TO MARRY LUCAS CABRAL
Franzi
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I just found this book series here on goodreads and those were my absolute favorite books when I was growing up! I read them all from my local library and everytime I walked in there I checked if they got new books/books I haven't read.
I remember that I thought the characters were totally interesting and I even educated myself in a few things because the characters loved them (for example meteorolgy...haha).
It must have been 13-17 years since I read them but I still remember the setti
Shay_yahS
Probably one of my favorite series when I was a teen... never did get to finish it...
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
So this is a re-read for me.
Probably my 3rd time reading if honest.
I first read this in secondary school when I was about 13 haha.
I still love it now.
Full of drama between teenagers.
This book had a definite plot twist, which I remembered.
Also at the back of this old edition there's a cute short quiz.
I really enjoyed this book and look forwards to re-reading the 2nd!
Blaira
pretty good book but definitely a book for teens. relationships can be kind of confusing. i read it several years ago but its been driving me crazy ever since that i was unable to finish the series because the library only had the first book so eventually id like to finish it. i really want lucas and zoey to end up together i think they are perfect for each other but i was reading summaries on the books and found out that lucas eventually cheats on zoey with nina though only a kiss and i think s ...more
Lisa
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This rating is for books 1-8. After those were written, the series title was changed (from "Boyfriends & Girlfriends" to "Making Out," yuck). Also, they reshot all the cover photos using teens who didn't remotely resemble the characters. Add to this the fact that the books became even more like badly written teen soaps (and were almost completely Zoey-centric), and they basically made books 9-28 unreadable. Not that I could stop, since by then I had to know what would happen. But I do wish I ...more
Ysabel
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this series when I was about 12/13. I'd forgotten all about them until a friend mentioned Katherine Applegate and I suddenly remembered.

I wasn't sure they'd be as good as I remembered, but they are! The writing is good, the dialogue is believable and the themes are not at all censored.

It surprises me just how much I've subconsciously remembered about the series and the characters. I'm really glad it didn't disappoint second time round.
Fiona
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these during my early teens but I don't think I ever finished the series which is a shame, I think I'd like to as I really loved them back then. I'm not sure I would really enjoy reading them now though. They were fun, soapy sort of reads about a bunch of teenage friends who had grown up and knew each other pretty well. All about love, life and all that.
Katelynn
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books, own
I love these books so much. They're timeless, hilarious, heartbreaking, and human. These characters are so unique and fully developed and smart and sweet and I remember reading about them at 13 and wishing so badly that I had friends like them, and really, I still do. I'm back in the world of Chatham Island and it feels like I never left. So excited to read the rest.
Lindsey
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to re-read a book from my teens. The updates are odd though. Why update pop culture references when the story obviously takes place in a different era? Smoking in restaurants, no cell phones or social media - getting caught passing notes in class. It’s also funny to realize this is the same author who is now so well regarded for her children’s books.
Kristy
Jun 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Might be showing my age, but I first read these when they were known as "Boyfriends/Girlfriends" series. lol! I'm rereading these. They're such a guilty pleasure lol!
J.S.
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this YA Making Out series back when I was an actual YA. I wanted so bad to live on that island, I wanted to be Nina, and Benjamin Passmore was my very first book boyfriend :)
Angela
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jugendb-cher
Schöner Reihenanfang, ruft bei mir immer wieder Erinnerungen an meine Jugend hervor. Auch wenn das Buch nicht die Außergewöhnlichste aller Geschichten beinhaltet macht das Buch doch spaß und reißt mich immer wieder mit.
Melissa McGuire
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ida Richens
Simply perfect for teenagers and young adults. Juicier than any reality tv.
Elaine Mullane
Feeling nostalgic for the books of my youth, I revisited Katherine Applegate and her Islanders omnibus editions (first released as the Making Out series way back in 1993. Yes, I am that old...).

While I found them to be overly-dramatic and a little bit cheesy on second reading, I think they would be loved by teenagers today. YA has taken a much-welcome step in the sphere of fantasy, science fiction and Dystopia, largely, in recent years so for teenagers looking for the traditional romance novels
Nicky (burialshroud)
I read this series of books over and over again between the ages of 12 and about 15. It holds up. It's set on an island off the coast of Maine and follows the incestuous girl/boyfriend swapping that goes on among the teenage inhabitants of the island. It's told using regular, meat and potatoes third-person prose as well as short, "hand-written" first person chapters that are quite cool, there are even maps and diagrams and things. Later on in the series the plot lines spiral into insanity but at ...more
Becky
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Making Out" series used to be called the "Boyfriend/Girlfriend" series as I recall. When I was a teenager I loved these books. Again, I found them in my amazon books. I thought I would review the first one in the series. I haven't read all of them, but I bought them all for my sister. They are well written and (as far as I got into them) have some very true-to-life situations. For example, one of the girls deals with a relative who had abused her in the past, one of the guys is blind, and y ...more
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Whitney
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these books when i was about 12 and i absolutely loved them i had to go onto ebay and amazon to get the rest of the books and i still have to finish my collection but i love rereading some of them and it was just the kind of book i could sit down and read within two or three hours and i just read them all as soon as i got them i the mail i wish they would re print them again im sure the new generations of teens and pre-teens would love them too
Whitney
My edition is older than the one pictured here, published in 1994. I read this series when I was younger and wanted to come back as an adult.

This time around, my favorite parts of the book were the same as my first go: the "handwritten" diary entries, the map of Chatham Island, and the edgy characters. I liked that Applegate wasn't afraid to make her characters do shitty things and then try to navigate the consequences. The mid-90s references (Shannen Doherty!) were fun too.
Abby  Engelhardt
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read A LOT of series books as an adolescent, and this one sticks out in my brain so vividly. I read every book in the series. I've thought about these books often while reading mediocre YA fiction, but I could never remember the name of the book or author, but a vague Google search brought it up right away. Of course they don't have them in our library system, and you won't find them in a bookstore, but if you like YA fiction, pick this up on Amazon.
Valerie
Okay, first of all, the title/artwork of this book are really bad, but the series apparently came out in the late 90s and was recently updated (to reference such gems as Macklemore and Ed Sheeran, among other things). The edition I bought for $1.99 on Kindle includes the first two books of the series (the updated ones with better artwork and series title) but I wanted to claim each one to go toward my reading challenge count. This was cute, though.
Kate
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another series I really loved when I was younger. This is actually decent teen drama/romance stuff with weird and quirky characters who grow up on a small island in Maine together. There's no simpering and characters can crack decent jokes that don't make you want to throw the book against the wall. Also, it's set in the midst of the 90s so there's Nirvana and No Doubt references galore and everyone wears flannel. Awesome all around.
Jennifer Collins
I originally read this in high school and loved it then. Now I just like it. It was a cute and very quick read. The characters are good but j wished it was a little longer so I could get more into the story. I get that Zoey liked Lucas but it was a little too quick for her to be falling for him. All in all a good YA quick read romance.
Kirsty
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this series of books in my mid teens and really enjoyed them. They deal with some of the issues teens face (especially in terms of relationships) wrapped up nicely in a novel. Definitely helped me growing up.
Z
Nov 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because it's by the same person who wrote the Animorphs series and because I once read something where people were comparing the two series. So far, I don't have much to say. It's deeper than random teen drama, but not by much. We'll see where it goes.
Nikki
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this and the next two in the series years ago...I have no idea what happend to them, maybe they'll turn up one day! I really enjoyed the characters and the different relationships! Perfect teen reading!!
Logan Sudholz
I thoght this book was all over, very confusing and a bit odd. I didn't really like it so I gave up :)
  • Good-bye to Love (Sweet Valley University, #7)
  • Hot Summer Nights (Love Stories For Young Adults, #12)
  • Some Girls Do (Love Stories For Young Adults, #11)
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • Sunset Island  (Sunset Island, #1)
  • Kiss and Tell (Love Stories For Young Adults, #29)
  • The Boy Next Door (Love Stories For Young Adults, #4)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Making Out (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Jake Finds Out (Making Out, #2)
  • Nina Won't Tell (Making Out, #3)
  • Ben's in Love (Making Out, #4)
  • Claire Gets Caught (Making Out, #5)
  • What Zoey Saw (Making Out, #6)
  • Lucas Gets Hurt (Making Out, #7)
  • Aisha Goes Wild (Making Out, #8)
  • Zoey Plays Games (Making Out, #9)
  • Nina Shapes Up (Making Out, #10)
  • Ben Takes a Chance (Making Out, #11)