Start by marking “Jackal Moon (Moon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jackal Moon (Moon, #2)

Jackal Moon

(Moon #2)

Laila has been pledged to serve the jackal god, Anubis, since she was a child. She wants nothing more than to follow in the footsteps of her father and brother and become a member of the Keepers of Divine Order. When her initiation into the Keepers leads her to Miami and pits her against the wereleopard Sekhmet, Laila is cast into a sea of clan intrigue and bitter rivalrie ...more
Published April 13th 2012 by Jeanette Battista (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jackal Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackal Moon

K. Lincoln
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought Jackal Moon mostly on the strength of liking the first in this series featuring young adult (college age/high school) shapeshifters secretly existing in our world.

The first in the series, Leopard Moon, follows Kess, a wereleopard fleeing from her family in Miami who ends up hanging with a bunch of cute and snarky werewolves in another state entirely.

Jackal Moon continues after the end of Leopard Moon. And I don't recommend reading this book without reading the first one, as half the fun
Deedee
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This book surprised me a bit. I was thinking that I might not like it like I did the first one but it was good and nice read but also setting up for the next book which I can't wait to read.

The story is hard to describe because of all the interlocking views of each character.
Here's a slight glimpse:

Finn a werewolf is tired of being the "goof ball" of his family finally gets a chance to prove himself by going to Miami with Kess and Cormac(previous characters from the first book). After the death
I
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Right when you expected that this book will be like all the series out there it surprises you.This is avery good book.Not like your average series out there.

Its a very 'Goodread'.
Penumbra
I was given this book to read through the We Love YA Books ARR Group for an honest review, thank you.

(view spoiler)
Nikki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Solid Second Book In This Series

I liked this second book. Whilst the story still involved Kess and Cormac, the POV's changed to Finn, who we've already met, Samara, the leader of a pack of werehyenas, and Laila, a Keeper. That being said, we are with Laila and Finn the most.

The story starts out with Laila, explaining who and what she is. Eventually we get into Finn's head. We zoom off to Miami where Sek is expecting trouble with some new visitors. This is where the story gets really interestin
Zena L. Anderson
Very good read

Very good and fast read with nonstop action, Good character development, vividly detailed environment set up. Easy to imagine each picture scene and environment as if I was there with them. Very captivating and compelling with enjoyable good and bad Characters that were easy to identify with and we'll aligned with their Were nature if they were Were. I finished in two days only because I mostly had to stop to go to work and get work done.
Catherine Iriarte
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was delighted to find the characters in the first book were continued in the second. Some new players were also introduced. Nothing has been finalized so far and like the first book in the series, this one leaves a lot of situations pending completion. The story line continues to carry me along and hasn't become dry or boring so I look forward to opening the third book to see what the author has written next.
Isis
If you haven't read the first book and don't want anything given away, look away now!!!

****SPOILERS CONTAINED****

Sek's advisor Bomani hires an assassin from the Keepers of the Divine Order to take out Sek as he has become too unstable, but also to force Kess back home to lead the clan.

Kess, Cormac, and Finn head to Miami after Kess gets the call the her brother has been murdered. When she gets to the estate she finds Mebis and Laila, werejackal guests of Sek's, still staying in the guest house.
Marsha
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ?
(3.5 Stars out of 5) After reading the first book in the Moon series, I definitely wanted to read "Jackal Moon." I enjoy Battista's writing style as well as the characters.
Book one introduces us to Kess, a werecat who has run away from a potential incestous brother. He locates her and she puts him in his place and I cheered because she did not rely on a man to protect her even though her boyfriend, Carmac wanted to do so. As a matter of fact, she actually rescued him.
Jackal Moon is told from
Mandy
Jackal Moon takes off not long after Leopard Moon however we are introduced to Laila a werejackal who is training to become a member of the Keepers of Divine Order. Her father has retired from the Keepers but her older brother is currently working with them. She’s almost ready to join the Keepers when her brother comes to town and takes her with him off to Miami. The way the Keepers of Divine Order work is they are kind of like cleaners. If someone needs to be disposed in the shape shifter commu ...more
Alison Beechner
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-paranormal
(This review is actually for the omnibus edition of book 2.)

Update now that I've completed the book:
So the first 1/3 of the book kinda sucks, but if you can make it through that part, it gets good again. And then it just kinda ends. There is so much about this one that could have been better. I wish I could fix it. Mostly I feel like this could have been a part of something bigger. Like having included Kess and Cormac's POVs in this story to beef it up. And then there were conversations and thou
Emily
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The only reason it gets three stars is that it was better than the first one. I wish they'd let us give half stars...this is really a 2.5. I really, really would have liked it if we'd gotten to see more of werejackal society and structure, but we don't. The focus here is on what's going on in Miami. The focus on romance is much, much less in this one, which is good. It's sort of a background theme, with no silly love triangles.

The werehyenas are really cliche bad-guys. They're super pretty, hor
Marcia
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book #2 in the Moon series is equal to the first book, if not a little bit stronger. Definitely a good 3 1/2 stars, so I'll give it 4, since that's my only option.

At first, I was a bit disappointed to not be following along with Kess and Cormac, but I soon became interested in the Jackals and their place in this story's mythology, so I began to enjoy the changing POV's. I can't say I like the character of Laila, as she is NOT an endearing sort of gal, but she was interesting, and has the potenti
Maghon Thomas
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Oh man, let me tell you how much I love this series! I read all four books in three days, which still include a full time 10.5 hour work day, and normal house chore, and building a house! This series has got me completely wrapped around its little finger! And book one starts the awesome journey continuing right into book two. Each book gets better and better.

If I have to chose, I will say the most main characters are Kess, Laila, and a bad guy! No spoilers remember :) there are still all my favo
Christa Charman
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I first started this book, I was kind of disappointed because I was hoping it would pick up where Leopard Moon had left off. But, nope. Instead of following Kess and Cormac, we're introduced to Laila. I was about 1/4 of the way through the book, before it really gripped me and sucked me in. It took me awhile to accept that we weren't getting anymore about Kess and Mac. Well, that's not necessarily true - we DO get more about them, just not the way I was expecting!

But, man-oh-man! This book
Sara
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I really enjoyed this book. Not quite as much as the first but I completely understand the reason behind this one being a little slower. We're being set up for a war of sorts and this book introduces us to several of the players. I liked getting to know Laila and thought she was a great addition to the story. She's honest and loyal and I liked that about her. I was glad that Kess was also a strong returning character. Given her past it would have been easy for her to shy away from the dealings i ...more
Niala
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the first book and really liking Kess, I would have liked to read more about her and not Liala. However, after the first couple of chapters my interest in Liala grew. In the end I liked her character. She was witty,brave and strong.

It was very interesting to read about Finn. In book 1 he was portrayed as a playboy and really didnt get around much to developing him. In this book, we get a glimpse at his psyche. We find out he is much much more than a hot body. The pairing of him and Liala
Ashley Ford
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first part of this series which prompted me to seek out the next book. I did see some reviews that made me hesitate but I am glad I went ahead with reading Jackal Moon. I think I liked this one even better than the first. The introduction of Mebis and Laila was interesting enough to keep my attention. Seeing Kess' character change and grow was enjoyable as well. Of course I spent half the book disliking Laila but strangely caring enough about her to WANT her to change her a ...more
Tatiana Chavez
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a good book, completely different from the first but still connected, things only get interesting in this book!! I enjoyed it none the less but I am giving it 4 stars just because I expected more of the love story to continue!! I still think is a must read and definitely can't wait to start reading the 3rd book in hopes that Kess can finally return to what she now calls "home"
I wish I could give more out but I hate spoilers, one thing for sure is that these books are really easy readings a
Tina
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jackal Moon is the second book in the Moon series. I gave this book 4 stars.

At first, I had a difficult time getting into the story. I had grown so attached to Kess in the first book and was a bit thrown by Laila. She is a much more in your face, I don't take anyone's crap kind of character. This took me a few chapters to adjust to. Once I really listened to her perspective and add in jokester Finn, I couldn't wait to read on. Their blossoming relationship and the challenges Kess faced as the pa
Kelli
Overall, I enjoyed this book. However, I did not like that we did not get anything from Kess' or maybe Cormac's POV. I really enjoyed Kess as a lead in Leopard Moon, and I hoped to be able to see more from her POV in this book. Also, the Sek issue was resolved halfway through the book and the second half was mostly just filler and Laila making a butt of herself. Lastly, I thought that if the Keepers had such a problem with everyone's assessment of them and all of the negativity, that they should ...more
Rachel
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Brit
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jackal Moon picks up after the end of Leopard Moon. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as Leopard Moon but I still think it was a nice addition to the series. Samara was every bit as disturbing as Sek was in the first book; although, her chapters seemed a bit repetitive. I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of her so hopefully her character will develop more in Hyena Moon. I absolutely love Finn. I wasn't rooting for Finn & Laila the same way I was for Cormac & Kess, but I still enjoyed their ...more
Raven
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great continuation of the story from Leopard Moon, though honestly, I really did not care for Laila as a main character. With her personality, her ego, I found myself becoming impatient with her parts of the story, not caring what she thought, what she felt. Her parts were very tedious, I felt. While reading, I just wanted her narrations to be over with and get on to Finn's or Samara's parts even. Still overall, great story, great action scenes. I can't wait till I can get a copy of the next b ...more
Michelle
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great concept, and I didn't even mind that we switched off to an alternative protagonist(s) for this book 2. I was interested in all the characters and the plot really picked up and left me wanting more in the series. I was definitely concerned that Finn would have no depth, and I do think we owe him a little more attention than he got here, but I ended up caring a lot more about his character than I might have predicted.
SO happy to see some good writing in this genre. I may have had to kiss a l
Nicole
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good solid number 2 book.
*LOVED* Laila and enjoyed getting to "know" Finn a bit more. Mebis was intriguing.
Kess and Cormac return and remain part of the story, but I enjoyed the other facets of weres more.
I'm definitely seeing the setup for something big... #3 Hyena Moon!

Author has a fantastic character building quaility. The characters are all strong, yet fallible and believable.
5 stars
Denice
First, I would like to thank Ms. Jeanette Battista and We ♥ YA Books! for a copy of this book...

At least this book is quite interesting than the first one... But still, it was not enough for me to really like it... The book cover is quite unique now... Hmm... The next book...

*wants happy ever after for all of them and wishing that their problems will be solved* =)
Kim
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought Jackal Moon after reading the first book in the series under the ARR program. I really enjoyed this story. Laila is a great character and I think Finn is a perfect love interest for her. This book sets up the next part in the series and I disagree with all of the negative reviews. it is a well written, interesting and engaging story. I look eagerly to the next installment.
E.L.
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Omgosh! What an amazing sequel! I thought i liked book 1 but 2 was even better; has earned a place on my favorites list! I really like Rafe as a sub character and hope to see him again n book 3, maybe a main character focus. 6 out of 5 for sure!
Erik
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A solid follow up to book one in this YA supernatural series. A great story with wonderfully drawn characters. In many ways even better than the first book. Highly recommended for fans of supernatural YA.
  • Charade (Heven and Hell, #2)
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • Pack Hunter (Were Chronicles, #8)
  • Leopard Dreaming (Mira Chambers #3)
  • Wicked Werewolf Passion (Werewolf Society, #3)
  • Change
  • SHIFT (Shift #1)
  • Loramendi's Story
  • Controlled Curves (Alpha Doms, #1)
  • Moon of the Terrible (Seasons of the Moon: Cain Chronicles, #3)
Jeanette Battista graduated with an English degree with a concentration in medieval literature which explains her possibly unhealthy fixation on edged weapons and cathedral architecture. She spent a summer in England and Scotland studying the historical King Arthur, which did nothing to curb her obsession. To satisfy her adrenaline cravings—since sword fighting is not widely accepted in these mode ...more

Moon (4 books)
  • Leopard Moon (Moon, #1)
  • Hyena Moon (Moon, #3)