Start by marking “Mesmo Delivery” as Want to Read:
Mesmo Delivery

Mesmo Delivery

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  443 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Mesmo Delivery is the full color debut sequential work by Brazilian creator Rafael Grampa. The story is one of mystery and action, as Rufo, an ex boxer, must deliver the goods while promising to NEVER open or inspect his cargo. Mayhem ensues as the precious cargo becomes the goal of others. Wizard calls it "Convoy meets The Twilight Zone."
Paperback, 1, 56 pages
Published 2008 by Desiderata

To ask other readers questions about Mesmo Delivery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mesmo Delivery

Jan Philipzig
Does for the pub brawl what the spaghetti western did for the western: stylizes it, takes it to the max, blows it apart. Not the most original or complex concept in the world, but Mesmo Delivery is all about the... uh... delivery – and that is SPECTACULAR! In terms of action choreography, this one is hard to beat. What really makes the whole thing work for me, though, is the story's pitch-black heart and its sick sick sick sense of humor. Highly recommended to anyone who gets a kick out of Frank ...more
Andrés Santiago
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It blew me away! I stayed away from it for a while because the art didn't appeal to me, but I have to say that it definitely grows on you. Grampá is a young artist with a highly personal style. I love his composition, especially on the action scenes, he uses the shots masterly, like a young Orson Welles, gradually revealling more about the story and the characters.

The story is gripping too and I could see this being adapted into film by Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez. Not for the faint hearted t
Keith
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mesmo Delivery was first recommended to me by a comic book artist, and it's definitely an "art for art's sake" kind of book. There's a story, but it's both structurally basic and conceptually vague -- it's the visceral that's the star of the show here, strung across an adrenalized adolescent "whatif" framework made entirely of references to Tarantino films: "Huh huh, wotif the earcutting scene from Reservoir Dogs was like a whole movie," "Huh, yeah and wotif the briefcase from Pulp Fiction was l ...more
Bogdan
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a fast reading graphic novel with not quite a lot of pages...but the story looked interesting at first sight...not quite so in the end...but the drawings with the art of the book where indeed mesmerising... a really good effort...
Alina
Neither the story nor the graphics did it for me..
Lucas Mota
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Uma hq impressionante em termos de arte, com uma pegada "underground" que eu adoro.
O problema é o roteiro. Tem muita ação e pouca história. Não há um bom desenvolvimento de trama aqui. As revelações são muito previsíveis. No primeiro flashback eu já saquei qual era o final da história. Isso é um problema sério em termos de narrativa.

Ainda assim, Grampá mostrou seu potencial. Em termos de arte não há sequer uma crítica de minha parte, mas o roteiro ainda precisa de um pouco de arroz e feijão.

Vale
Andrew
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-comics, read-own-d
A visceral flasher flick that uses interesting 'camera' angles and establishing shots. The detailed artwork and unique visual ideas helps this stand-out from the action comics pack.

I've been interested in reading a full length Grampa story since seeing his work in various anthologies (Marvel's Strange Tales among others). At first I saw him as a Paul Pope rip off. Some of his cover work does look very similar to Pope. He has the same attention to movement and fluid line work. But I think Grampa
Jamie
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovels
Not much story here, but the art more than makes up for it. A fight comic that looks like it was pencilled by Jeff Smith and inked by Dave Cooper during a contest to see who could tell a story the most like Paul Pope.

On a side note, if I were the guy who did the English rewrite on this and I had been credited as providing "dialogues," I'd inflict something akin to the violence we see in the book itself. Reminds me of when a certain comics writer I was freelancing for tried to credit me for "edit
Jason
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The major problem I have with indy comics is this: the artists think they can write as well as they draw. Grampa is a good artist but he fails as a writer. He wanted to create comics & wanted to start with a "simple" story (his word, not mine)--this is where the comic fails. Not only is his story "simple" but it is also very "cliche". There is nothing within this thin book that presents anything new to the redneck/hick-town story. His infusion of the paranormal to the redneck story is neithe ...more
Tyler Hill
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This slim volume is also pretty slim on plot. For the most part, all 4 stars are on account of Rafael Grampa's stunning art. Truly, he draws the hell out of this thing. Very few comic works so immediately make me want to give up drawing so instantly, because they so concretely demonstrate what great comic illustration work looks like. Honestly, I'm tempted to give this thing 5-stars, but I'm just a little squirrely about giving the top rating to what amounts to an over-sized comics' worth of dar ...more
Paul Williams
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mesmo Delivery should not be read for the story but for its fluid and violent art. The only comments I can make of its story is it is short (it feels more like a first chapter than a short story), it is violent or Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez-esque, and while the characters aren’t fully developed, they are still interesting and comic.

But the art is beautiful and for that this book should be read. It is imaginative and thoughtful. Even when people have their heads cut off or their faces punched
Rob
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Folks, I learned something new today. Rafael Grampa has amazing skills as an artist. We are talking some truly staggering stuff here people. I mean, Mesmo Delivery floored me with how striking it was. That being said, the read though extremely short. It's basic, two men, one an ex-boxer, the other an Elvis impersonator are hired to deliver some mysterious cargo. I almost decided to give it three stars, but then looking at the beautiful layout a few more times, I simply could not do it. I hope Gr ...more
Brian
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the fuck
Michael Allan Leonard
While Rafael Grampa's art style is impressive and gorgeous to watch unfold across the page, there's just not enough substance here: it's like a half an intriguing Twilight Zone episode that goes to commercial but never comes back, leaving you wondering how the story really ends.
Alex
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Необычный рисунок. Простецкий сюжет и очень короткий комикс.
Две клевые идеи:
(view spoiler)
Tyler
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God, this is gorgeous.
Blair
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning (and extremely violent) artwork and design built around a very simple story. Very well executed (excuse the pun).
Dmitry Yakovenko
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"Служба доставки Мезмо" умудряется одновременно и восхищать, притягивая абсолютно всё внимание читателя, и отталкивать, вызывая лишь желание убрать комикс в какое-нибудь темное место, где его будет не видно.

Это история о двух дальнобойщиках, которые везут таинственный товар и по пути останавливаются около обыкновенной, ни чем не примечательной забегаловки. Первый – дальнобойщик, бывший боксер, попадает в серьезные неприятности, и тут-то в дело вступает второй – старый имперсонатор Элвиса.

Больше
Alex
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: visual
My search for the re-print of this can only be described as epic. I checked every week, without fail, at my local comic bookstore for its arrival. Dark Horse had promised it would be available the first week of February, but it was full of lies.

The day I flew to Chicago, I gallivanted around, seeking out comic bookstores that might carry it. When I entered the third comic bookstore, I was prepared for disappointment. I asked the staff whether or not they had that elusive grail, and one replied,
Ed Soto
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the single greatest debut work I've read! Rafael Grampa's Mesmo Delivery is a shotgun blast of raw action, violence and style. It's like a marriage between a grindhouse film and a rockabilly acid trip. Grampa already has a fully developed sense of composition and his style is a weird mix of Paul Pope, Geoff Darrow, Frank Quitely, and Terrytoons. The story follows a pair of truck drivers who's pitstop and a bar in the middle of no where set in motion a barrage of violence that en ...more
Mza
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
... cuts through standard desensitization to violence by amplifying both cartooniness & grotesque level of detail -- body hair, pock marks, skin sag, soft membrane, tears, sweat, urine, and of course buckets of blood, gushing like a garden hose -- and by neither sparing nor making a special case of violence against women. There's something wickedly egalitarian in that the women's deaths are no less cartoony & no more sexualized than the men's. The one-twist plot & minimal psychology ...more
Nicolas
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: voyage, combat, rayon-bd, mort
Quelle violence gratuite !
La préface parle de jubilation, de joie de créer.
Et c'est vrai que certaines planches (tout aprticulièrement celle qui voit le gros boxeur KO) sont incroyables. Cela dit, je resens comme un malaise diffus se dégager de cette lecture qui exhale tous les parfums de pourriture qui peuvent émaner des comics alternatifs.
Je n'hésiterais pas à dire qu'il s'agir d'une elcture pour public averti (autrement dit peu sensible à l'hémoglobine).
Kirsten
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, author-male
whyyyyyyy isn't this longer T_T
The book only sort-of feels complete. This is basically just the beginning of a story, but from the way it ended, it's clear how the middle and end will play out, so I suppose it's not strictly necessary to actually portray them (though I really wish it would).
The art is cool, though, so even if the story leaves much to be desired, it still works well as an art book.
The art in this book is unbelievable, some of the best drawing I've seen. The story, however,just seems like a vehicle for the art and is not very interesting.The concept behind it was interesting, but beyond that you're not left with much. It is also insanely gory, word of warning. Grampa should stick to making insanely great art and leave the story to someone else, maybe someone could introduce him to Joss Whedon.
Paulo Fernandes
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Grampa's art is really, really cool. His shading technique, which is basically a lot of dots and small traces, gives the drawings a lot of personality. The location of the story (a mixture of Texas and the brazilian northeast countryside) is very odd, as well as the story itself. Long story short: a good intentionally-violent-nonsense-bloody-trash story with curious and fun characters. You won't stop and leave it unfinished.
Hamilton
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite graphic novels. short and sweet.
it's raw and borders on that fun science fiction where it could be a year or two from now. a familiar world where things are just a little off. beautifully drawn and written, a must read for the art form of graphic novelization. stylized violence. sexy violence. i don't know, just read it.
Ryan Haupt
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really cool. More atmospheric than anything else, but still action packed. It's mostly an art book, but Grampa's storytelling is still top notch. His thumbnails are good enough to publish. His art reminds me a lot of of this cool staple artist I saw online awhile ago. Can't find it now, but you should google search it yourself you lazy bum! Why I oughta...
Neven
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun art, in a rock-poster way. The writing is pretty mediocre - tries to be Tarantino but doesn't quite do it. Even though it's often advertised as a graphic novel, it's not one; it feels like the first episode in a series.
Slap Happy
Can't wait to see more by Rafael Grampa. Excellent display of his skill at paneling and stage setting in this slight tale that essentially boils down to a bloody brawl at some remote gas station populated by small town hicks.
Ryan
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Recommended on the force of it's artwork alone. It is very short and has very little story. It hints on a much bigger story, but never delivers. That doesn't matter though, because the art is what you read this for. The artist must work very large to include so much linework detail.
  • Godzilla: The Half Century War
  • Cachalote
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 1: Innocence of Nihilism
  • King City
  • Sublife #1
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • Old City Blues
  • Poor Sailor
  • 100%
  • The Last Musketeer
  • The Squirrel Machine
  • Omega the Unknown
  • Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1: Haunted House
  • If 'n Oof
  • Strange Tales II (Stranges Tales)
  • Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)
  • The Acme Novelty Library #17
  • Incognito, Vol. 2: Bad Influences
2032875
Rafael Grampá began working as an illustrator at the age of 14. He began by illustrating self-help books – what he calls the “how to raise your problematic teenagers sort”. During this period, he also did t-shirt designs, caricatures, children’s party decorations, coats of arms and logos for butcher shops and surf shops. He worked as an art director at the Brazilian motion graphics studio LOBO in ...more
More about Rafael Grampa...