Start by marking “My Sister's Reaper (Reaper's Rite, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Sister's Reaper (Reaper's Rite, #1)

My Sister's Reaper (Reaper's Rite #1)

When Zadie accidentally messes with the Reaper’s Rite that should have claimed her sister Mara, things go horribly wrong. Mara isn’t the same anymore—Zadie isn’t even sure she’s completely human, and to top it off, a Re
Published May 29th 2013 by Month9Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Sister's Reaper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Sister's Reaper

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 21, 2014 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
What a fun little read. Full review to come.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW:
Every now and then I just need a YA paranormal read that is a fluff read. Something different, something fun, and something that will pull me out of my head and let me have a good time for a few short hours.

My Sister's Reaper gave me just that.

Imaginative, fun, mysterious, and well written, this truly was just what I was looking for. Nothing blow you away original but still with just the right amount of twists and fun that make t
Tyler Jolley
Jan 28, 2013 Tyler Jolley rated it it was amazing
Zadie has always been special. If she wants something, and she thinks and wishes hard enough, it happens. She’s never been able to explain it, and she has been careful to never want anything too much ever since she was a kid and made her sister mad after an incident with frogs.
One night at a party she blurts out to a boy she really likes that she could use witchcraft to wake her sister, Mara, who’s in a coma. Faced with the pressure of impressing him and not wanting to let him down, she and her
Michelle
Oct 04, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I always love a good horror/thriller type book. Especially this time of year around Halloween. This book truly delivered that need for me.

I felt that the author did a great job with her character developement. She was very vivid in her details and I felt like they were people I would meet on the street. Although the book has a fantasy type plot with all of her vivid details it made it seem very real for me. I really liked how the author was so very descriptive with the story. Sometimes I feel t
Cassandra Curiel
Jul 02, 2015 Cassandra Curiel rated it really liked it
*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*
This book was intriguing from the very first page and full of humor! You follow the main character as she learns about a world she never knew she was a part of and the twists just kept coming! This was a fast, easy read and I thoroughly enjoyed this so much! The emotions the main character, Zadie, goes through are very much believable for someone still in high school. The plot stays true to the character's ages and experiences.
Anybody that knows m
Holly Knece
May 03, 2015 Holly Knece rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, review-copies
Zadie is special and she knows it.

This story was completely engaging and had me enthralled from the very first page. It was incredibly well written and thought-out. My Sisters Reaper gives readers a real YA book that doesn't revolve around a cheesy romance story. This book had a great sense of horror and thriller mixed in.

While the cliche characters weren't out of the ordinary, the book plot made this book interesting, exciting, and impossible to put down! If you haven't read this book yet, pick
Eric Townsend
Jul 06, 2013 Eric Townsend rated it it was ok
Another mixed bag type of book for me. I really thought the premise was interesting and that if done the right way it could make for a great book. I mean bringing your sister back to life, reapers chasing you and magical powers make for a pretty good combination on paper. The execution here though…well I’ll just get into it.

My major issue with My Sister’s Reaper, unfortunately, is the main character Zadie. You know that proverbial box of rocks so many people seem to be dumber than? Ya, you can a
Kelly Hashway
Jun 05, 2012 Kelly Hashway rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Full review to come on YA Bound on 8/20.

Okay, reapers, zombies, and death? Yeah, I was definitely reading this one. Zadie is an amazing character. She has this ability to make things happen by wishing for them. What she doesn't know is that it goes so much deeper than that, but when her sister, Mara, is hit by a bus and put in a coma, Zadie knows she has to try to use her powers to bring Mara out of the coma. What she doesn't realize is Mara dies before Zadie brings her back. And b
Annie Cosby
Jun 08, 2013 Annie Cosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worked-on
Really loved Zadie and the book was fast-paced, keeping me hooked from the very beginning! Also a really fresh and exciting story line--so many YA books tend to follow the same formula, but this felt new and unique.
chucklesthescot
Apr 19, 2014 chucklesthescot rated it did not like it
I've started thinking that my school must have been really boring and dull as all these American schools are overflowing with bitches and bastards waiting to bully or abuse you. Lovely. I get so tired of this utter cliche in YA paranormal books. Mean Girls. Horrible Guys. Say what you like about Twilight, at least the kids were a nice bunch who welcomed the new girl.

I really did not take to Zadie. For me she was a really selfish, dumb and annoying girl. She has a sister in a coma after an allege
Aoife Sheridan
Oct 05, 2014 Aoife Sheridan rated it it was amazing
My Sister’s Reaper

Rating 5 star

Lizzy
Jun 20, 2013 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Best Bits: So, how can I write this review without spoiling the magical portion of the story? Usually in YA the main magic is vampire/werewolf/angel/etc, but I can't recall a YA book that covers the topic that My Sister's Reaper does. Sure, you can probably guess some of it based on the title, but there is quite a bit more to it. It was very unique, which is rare in supernatural teen fiction. I also kind of dug the fact that the major conflict of this book was brought about by Zadie trying to im ...more
AnaPIN
Jun 28, 2012 AnaPIN rated it it was amazing
I read this books in its early stages and I'm dying to read again when it comes out. A very recommended read.
Leonor (Ner)
Also published in "A Cup of Coffee and a Book" as part of My Sister's Reaper Blog Tour

My Sister’s Reaper was an amazing surprise. When I begun reading this book, I wasn’t sure of what to expect from it. The blur sounded interesting enough but I didn’t know how deep it would be and how far it would interest me. Truth is, it was quite a pleasant and exciting read.

Zadie’s sister, Mara, is a deep coma after being hit by a bus. One night, at a graveyard party, she admits being able to bring her siste
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Man, this book... SO AWESOME! The magic, the myths, the romance... I loved it all!

With My Sister's Reaper, I came in thinking that this was going to be all about reapers (and it was, kind of... played a big role), but it was totally not what I was expecting! You see, I absolutely LOVE reapers (call me morbid)! Reapers like Lex from Croak , Madison Avery, and Tod from the Soul screamers series *swoons*. But was it a bad thing? NO! I was pleasantly surprised :) I
Valicity Garris
I’m a huge fan of horror, blood, and all things dark. So this book was an instant win for me right form the description. Thankfully, it did not disappoint. I thought the plot unfolded really well, with a great opening that took me in right from the first page.

So there’s zombies, magic, and creepy wish granting. It sounds crazy when I spell it out like that but, believe me, it was one interesting ride. Young Zadie is faced with a tragedy when her sister is in a terrible accident, desperate to sa
S.A. Larsen
May 09, 2013 S.A. Larsen rated it really liked it
Fast-paced action and fluent descriptions carry this tale from ordinary to something more as a teenage girl unearths her fate in defeating her sister's grim reaper.

Zadie is an average high school girl: working father, older and more popular sister, and a BFF who can talk up a storm. Her mother is in the picture, but not really, for reasons the reader eventually discovers.

As the story begins, the reader first hears Zadie's great young adult voice. It's assured and honest, yet a quiet thread of ca
Sher A. Hart
Oct 13, 2013 Sher A. Hart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
I shouldn’t have started reading this book before I had time to finish because I had a hard time putting it down. First, I liked the author’s style and teenage voice. Second, it got right to the weird stuff, the mystery and action. Third, it was a real treat to read a well-edited book. I rarely had to stop and make notes on mistakes. Fourth, the mythology was new, a combination of older ideas put together in an interesting and unique way. In fact, the only familiar mythological concepts were wit ...more
Aug 12, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Psychocat Reads Review of MY SISTER'S REAPER by Dorothy Dreyer

(I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

The Characters: As the main character, Zadie is many of the things I enjoy in a character. She has a certain fire about her, but she is also far from perfect and sometimes more than a little overwhelmed by what is happening. Overall, she is a character you can easily find yourself cheering for.

There are also a handful of others that help make the story tick. Naomi
Jen at Reading Lark
Apr 19, 2012 Jen at Reading Lark rated it really liked it

I enjoyed reading My Sister’s Reaper. I wasn’t really sure what to expect, as the blurb promised pseudo-zombie action and that isn’t really my kind of thing. Nevertheless, Dorothy Dreyer is all kinds of awesome so I decided to give it a go and I’m really glad I did.

Dorothy carved out a brand new mythology for her story, where faeries and witches have a line of descendants called Vila. Zadie is a Vila, and it means she has some influence over events and matter; this is something she uses
Corina
Sep 19, 2013 Corina rated it it was amazing
My Sister's Reaper

Sixteen-year-old Zadie’s first mistake was telling the boy she liked she could bring her dead sister back to life. Her second mistake was actually doing it. My Sister’s Reaper follows Zadie as she deals with the everyday issues of being a teenager, boys, mean girls, a popular sister and as if that wasn’t enough Zadie isn’t exactly normal…

Magic seems to find its way into her life, wrapping around her and the people she cares about. Zadie’s journey to understand her past while tr
Katie O'Sullivan
Mar 28, 2014 Katie O'Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Zadie is kind of a young 16, still scarred by her mother's incarceration in a mental hospital when Zadie was young. At the start of the book, she's also dealing with the fact that her older sister Mara is currently at the hospital on life support, having been run over by a bus. That's a lot to deal with on top of all the normal high school stuff, like class assignments, boy crushes, and mean girls.

She has a huge crush on this older boy named Gavin, with chocolate hair and indigo eyes, and as she
Jannat Bhat ( Obsessive Compulsive Reader)
Holly Newhouse
Sep 07, 2014 Holly Newhouse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a good read
I will start by saying this book series is absolutely fantastic and I want to thank the wonder author, Dorothy, for the privilege of letting me read both books! I'm trying to be patient in waiting for the third book lol! I read both of these books in one sitting all night long, I just could not put these down! The story and plot are unique and yet, very engaging. The books are very well written and I have to say I have fallen in love with Chase, Gavin, Zadie, Mara, Hunter, and Liluria! They have ...more
Erika Messer
Aug 22, 2014 Erika Messer rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very intriguing and something you don't read everyday. It took the paranormal idea to a different level. Zadie loves her sister Mara who is in a coma, and Zadie knows that something about her sisters coma and the events leading up to it were not right but can't tell anyone. And on top of that Zadie also realizes that something in HER is not right and even goes so far as to believe she is not human. When she finally figures out what is happening it leads her to meeting the ...more
Stephanie Ward
'My Sister's Reaper' is a young adult fantasy/paranormal novel that follows teenage main character Zadie as she attempts to clean up the mess she created when she brought her dead sister back to life. Zadie messed with the Reaper's Rite - the one that should have claimed her sister Mara. Now her sister is alive, but not the same, and that might be worse. On top of that mess, the Reaper in charge of Mara is determined to claim her no matter what - and now Zadie has to figure out a way to defeat i ...more
Christy
Sep 08, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it

My Sister's Reaper is a very good YA paranormal fantasy. Ever since Zadie was a little girl, she could make things happen. She had no idea how she did it, but that ability existed in her. So when her sister, Mara, gets hit by a bus and is in a coma, Zadie decides that maybe she can bring her out of it. Be careful what you wish for! Zadie is successful, but she also calls out the wrath of the Reaper for interrupting his rite.

Love the characters in this book! My favorite is Lilura, the ne
Wendy Hines
Jun 16, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it it was amazing
Light romance? Check. Witchcraft? Check. That moment when chills run up your spine? Check!

At the prompting of the hottest boy around, Zadie takes her witchcraft dabbling a bit further to try and save her sister Mara, who is in a coma following an accident. Surprisingly, it works but Mara isn't quite right. With some help from her friends and a local witch, Zadie is in the fight of her life and Mara's because the Reaper wants Mara's soul - no matter the cost.

Likable characters, unexpected twists
Elizabeth
Jun 23, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read this novel while it was still in its infancy. It was an awesome read then, and I'm sure it's only better now.
Dorothy Dreyer's writing is fresh and exciting. She leads the reader on a unique journey, swinging from sweet romance to high school drama to downright creepy, borderline horror without batting an eye. I can't wait to purchase this for my bookshelf when it comes out!
Desire
Sep 11, 2014 Desire rated it it was amazing
This book had a few surprises, when you think you have it figured out, there's a twist. Mara is marked for death and only 1 person can really save her, but that old saying it takes a village, well maybe not a whole village but Zadie can't do it all on her own. I've met some character in this book I hope to see again! While there is no cliffhanger I don't believe Zadie's story is finished. If your a paranormal fan this is a great YA story! I would definitely recommend it as a TBR book!
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Mar 13, 2013 Katie (Kitkatscanread) rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable story.
The characters were awesome, and I really enjoyed the writing.

Full review: http://kitkat1242.blogspot.co.uk/2013...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Praefatio (Praefatio, #1)
  • Reaper
  • Entice: An Ignite Novella (Ignite, #1.5)
  • Rook (Timeless Games, #1)
  • Resilient
  • Wolf's Bane (Demimonde, #3)
  • Tempting Death (The Grim Trilogy, #1)
  • Perfection (Perfection, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • Jack Templar and the Lord of the Vampires (The Templar Chronicles, #3)
  • Cerberus (Solace, #1)
  • Iron Pendulum (Periodic, #2)
  • Red
  • Underneath
  • Vengeance Bound
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
I'm a Philippine-born American living in Germany with my husband and two teens.

I write young adult books that usually have some element of magic or the supernatural in them. I also like to read those kinds of books. Aside from reading, I like movies, chocolate, take-out, coffee, traveling, and having fun with my friends and family. I've also been known to make a pretty sweet cupcake.

I tend to sing
More about Dorothy Dreyer...

Reaper's Rite (3 books)
  • My Tethered Soul (Reaper's Rite #2)
  • My Frayed Eternity (Reaper's Rite #3)