Start by marking “Angel Killer” as Want to Read:
Angel Killer

Angel Killer (Jessica Blackwood #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,514 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
When a serial killer known as the Warlock commits a series of murders that some describe as miracles, it’s up to FBI agent Jessica Blackwood, daughter of a legendary magic family, to try to stop him.

ANGEL KILLER has been described as Silence of the Lambs meets the X-Files in a battle between a criminal genius and the one woman who can see through his lies.
Published March 29th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Angel Killer, please sign up.
Anne C. Why not?

Why not?

If that's not enough of an answer: I think as a magician himself the author finds the "woman in a man's world" in both the professional magician and law enforcement fields to be an interesting juxtaposition. Not to mention, it adds complexity and conflict...(less)

Mackey St
I gave up reading books about the FBI when I stopped believing in the FBI but I simply could not resist a book where the MC is also a MAGICIAN! What!?! Okay, at first I thought this was going to be the corniest, silliest book I ever had read and this year I've started and stopped a LOT of those. But noooooo..... the premise actually works.

Jessica Blackwood was raised in a family of magicians/illusionists and was one herself until her early 20's. She understands "trickery," illusions and other c
Liz Barnsley
Bloody brilliant. Note: I have a review copy from the Faber paperback edition being released in October, that edition does not appear on Goodreads that I can see!

I literally devoured this - Its like Criminal Minds meets Jonathon Creek in book form. I'm very lucky to be able to interiew the author for a feature on the blog to coincide with the UK Faber release so a full review will follow then.

Highly Recommended.
Debbie
Step right up, folks, and enjoy the show!!!

I'm quickly learning that Andrew Mayne is first and foremost and entertainer, using creative licence to produce books that are as fun as they are thrilling. His books tend to be a bit quirky, original, slightly over the top but darkly entertaining. This is my second book by this author and I already can't wait to move on to the next.

The cast of characters is no less original than the story. There is a serial killer using grand illusions as part of his
Paul
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Angel Killer – An Excellent Debut Series

Andrew Mayne is an American (shouldn’t hold that against him) with an serious interest in magic and illusions, so much so that he has his own TV show and worked with some very famous illusionists and magicians. He has taken his knowledge and experiences in to the writing of this excellent thriller which introduces us to Special Agent Jessica Blackwood.

Jessica Blackwood is trying to escape her family and her past by working in law enforcement but the harder
Kasa Cotugno
Lately I've given up on the current trend in thrillers (sadistic serialists, dead children) and sought out protagonists with quirky backstories and skills. Jessica is an FBI agent with a background as an illusionist, having been born into that world. Not your usual setup. The situation here is original with an overthetop Mr. Bad who, of course, seems to be ubiquitous, hilariously evil and brilliant, and has unlimited resources. Can't wait to see what Mayne comes up with next.
Darcy
I’m not really sure how this book crossed my radar, but it wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be a normal FBI thriller, catch the killer, but there was a twist, the FBI person came from a family that was heavily into magic and were famous magicians. I liked how Jessica used the knowledge of magic to help solve the crimes. I think her unique way of looking at things helped them come to conclusions faster. It was great that as things went on and how Jessica explained things her peers and b ...more
Elaine
It's a new year and this year I'm not going to hold out any hope that each book I read, no matter how hyped or how interesting the premise is or how many excellent reviews it has, will live up to its promise. I've learned my lesson (see my other reviews of past hyped but terribly disappointing books) and now I'm going to judge it on its own merit. I'm going to read it first and base my conclusions on how I feel after reading it.

This book has an interesting premise. Magic! Who doesn't like magic?
Luanne Ollivier
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Mayne is an illusionist and magician who has worked for David Copperfield, Penn and Teller and David Blaine. He's also the star of A&E's Don't Trust Andrew Mayne. And....he's also an author. Mayne self published his novels and had some success. Angel Killer sold really well in that format and Bourbon Street Books picked it up, with a hard copy of Angel Killer just published.

I normally eschew self published books, but was incredibly curious to read Angel Killer (especially after a lar
Jamie Rose
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was OK, but something about it just didn't work...maybe it's my personal dislike of first person narratives, especially when it's a male author writing female first person.

I also found the modus too far fetched, and the conclusions drawn by the investigators relied greatly on coincidence, rather than investigation. I also felt the characters lacked depth, the author concentrating on making them quirky instead of interesting.

I guess the readers reaction to this would depend a great deal on
Marla Madison
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
On the plus side, the book was well written, the author clearly very knowledgable on the topic of magic. I found the use of a magician in crime
solving novel and intriguing. The plot was surprising and definitely unexpected.
On the down side, it was all a little too incredible, almost comic-bookish in a way. And I have to agree with another reviewer here who thought
the ending too abrupt.
Nevertheless. the book kept me intrigued, and I read it to the last page! It'll certainly be a favorite for fans
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Clever and intriguing
Claudia Putnam
Entertaining enough that I went on to read the rest of the Jessica books. Well written. Hokey stuff like calling the guy the Warlock as well as the name of Jessica's ex-boyfriend--Demian whatever--didn't help. Saying Boulder, CO was in the middle of nowhere was offensive... (in a later book the site turns out to be Moffat, which okay is in the middle of nowhere, but it's quite clear the author has never been to Moffat--he has the mountains in the distance, when in fact 4 fourteen thousand foot p ...more
Carol
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
My sincere thanks to Harper Collins for providing an e-galley of this work to be published March 23, 2014.

Magic in the hands of law enforcement, what a premise! Watch the illusions unfold as real life magician, Andrew Mayne, casts his fictional character, FBI Agent, Jessica Blackwood who uses the tricks of her former trade to catch a serial killer? They call her the witch to the killer's warlock. "More please" this reader cries.
Black Butterfly
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
I ENJOYED THIS; IT WAS SO EXCITING AND ALSO SO FAMILAR. HUUMMM? I COULD SWEAR I SAW SOME OF THE EVENTS IN THIS ON A TV SHOW EITHER CSI/NY OR CRIMINAL MINDS, I’M NOT SURE WHICH SHOW BUT I’M POSITIVE I SAW THIS (types of killings) ON TV. WHAT A PAGE TURNER I LOVED READING THIS EVEN MORE WHAT A GREAT STORY AND CHARACTERS. ;D
Matt Sears
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun crime thriller with a magic theme. Ending was a bit sudden.
Nancy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing a review for this would have been so easy a minute ago; before my husband shared his insight. The ending of this book is so *fantastical* (as an adjective: "conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque") that I almost let it ruin the entire story for me. My husband is an avid reader of Spy Fiction/Action novels. His current favorite series features an indestructible deep-opts character that has saved the world from hundreds ...more
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was an exciting murder mystery with an original twist. I enjoyed this character and her backstory. The storyline was extremely interesting and kept me glued to it. I don’t know much about magic but I love it, and I love finding out how the illusions and tricks are performed. It doesn’t take the joy out of it for me at all.

I’ve already downloaded the sequel to this novel. While there was a satisfactory ending to this story, there was just enough of a cliffhanger to keep me going.
Elizabeth Page
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magician skills are used to find a very creative killer.
Rach
brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed this well written offering from Andrew Mayne.... very much looking forward to the next instalment ☺ ...more
Sue Em
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming from a family of magicians, Jessica Blackwood brings special skills to the FBI that become critical in the search for Warlock. Well written page turner!
Susan Cabaniss
It’s an enjoyable premise...twisting an FBI agent with a magician.
Melody
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jessica Blackwood was five when she first started learning magic from her grandfather. She came from a family of magicians but decided to leave the glamour and her past behind after a performance almost got her killed when she was twenty. It was also the same time she decided to leave her family and be on her own.

At present, she volunteered to teach magic tricks as a form of therapy at a children's hospital since college and continued all the way through her career in the FBI. She was in forensi
Debbie Oxier
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book by accident and boy am I glad I did. Once I started it I didn't want to put it down! I felt compelled to find out what was going on and who was behind it all.

Jessica Blackwood has quite a history. Given the stage name of Jessica Blackstar by her grandfather, she performed with him and her father for years while growing up. She knew every magic trick in the book and became a master at illusion. But when a magic trick went wrong and she almost died she walked away from it
William Henes
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magic with an interesting twist

Interesting book. New concept , using magic as the theme, for me at least. Good pace. Good development of the characters.
Breakaway Reviewers
Angel Killer Andrew Mayne 5 stars

This book begins with a twist; the main character is Jessica Blackwood, FBI agent, previously a performing illusionist – I can’t recall having come across that before! Of course Jessica is beautiful and therefore tends not to be taken seriously by her FBI colleagues and bosses – why are these characters never ugly old boots?

This is the first in Mayne’s Jessica Blackwood series and finds Jessica moving from a desk job, out into the field. Her experience as an illu
Logan
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Angel Killer is about a former illusionist who decided to stop performing and join the FBI. The why behind it is not explained, and fortunately is not very important as you get thrown into the story on page one with a girl being pulled into a truck to turn a “trick” and then chloroformed. From there, it is a mile a minute thrill ride that constantly keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen next.
The story itself takes you cross country as Jessica Blackwood tries to figure out a series of
Joe Young
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book with many twists and turns giving a unique view of catching a serial killer by using a trained agent with third generation magician skills and training to gain a different perspective of the staged murder scenes placed by the "Warlock", a name assumed by the killer. The young female agent Blackwood is identified by the press and is called a "Witch", making her another target for the serial killer. She was called into the case by a consultant to the FBI, a professor and rich busine ...more
Cheryl
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never seen Mr. Mayne's television show. Yet, after reading this book I am going to check it out. I like the way the author used his profession and experience and incorporated it into a murder mystery book. Not just a book but the start of a really, good series. Featuring a multi-complex and ever changing female lead, Jessica Blackwood. I say this because I know there is more to Jessica than meets the eye. She is just coming out of her shell and will only get stronger as the series progres ...more
Babus Ahmed
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this crime thriller. Serial killer, magic, female protagonist, it seemed to have the right elements but something didn’t feel right about this book.

I enjoyed the enigmatic Damian but just didn’t find Jessica Blackwood as likeable as I should have. The crimes themselves were ambitious to say the least but the characters largely disappointing and interchangeable. The ending just made way for another sequel, which I hope works better than this book.

Too many sequinned outfit
Beth Yeary
Because I saw and entered to win the second in this series, I decided to buy and read this, the first book in the series. found I couldn't put hthis book down. Since I didn't win the second book from Good Reads. I am now waiting for the second in this series.

Thisis a fast paced novel that kept m on my toes- even at two in the morning. It's been a long time since I've read a book I could not out down until I was done with it.
Around the Year i...: Angel Killer, by Andrew Mayne 1 13 Jun 03, 2016 03:17PM
  • The Houdini Specter
  • Past Crimes (Van Shaw, #1)
  • The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room Mysteries
  • Truth Be Told (Jane Ryland, #3)
  • Tokyo Kill (Jim Brodie #2)
  • Expedition Indigo
  • The Miser's Dream  (An Eli Marks Mystery #3)
  • Senseless
  • Design for Dying (Lillian Frost & Edith Head, #1)
  • The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear / Columbus / Dark Men (Silver Bear, #1-3)
  • Gasa-Gasa Girl (Mas Arai, #2)
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • Land of Shadows (Detective Elouise Norton #1)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
  • The Vampire Defanged: How the Embodiment of Evil Became a Romantic Hero
  • The Killing Kind (Michael Hendricks #1)
  • The Convert's Song (Valentine Pescatore #2)
  • Night Tremors (Rick Cahill, #2)

Jessica Blackwood (3 books)
  • Name of the Devil (Jessica Blackwood #2)
  • Black Fall (Jessica Blackwood #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)