Start by marking “Mountainfit: Fjällsommar, Fjällsjälv” as Want to Read:
Mountainfit: Fjällsommar, Fjällsjälv

Mountainfit: Fjällsommar, Fjällsjälv

In 2011, a tiny bird observatory in far western Sweden found itself hosting its first American volunteer, and Meera Lee Sethi found herself exactly where she wanted to be: watching great snipe court each other under the midnight sun and disturbing lemmings on her way to find a gyrfalcon nest. Mountainfit is an ecological field notebook, a keenly observed natural history of ...more
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Mountainfit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountainfit

Start your review of Mountainfit: Fjällsommar, Fjällsjälv
Sienna
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

Shall we begin?

Have you backed a project on Kickstarter? It's gratifying, exciting, an exercise in connection. All of a sudden there's a new person or set of people in your life. You've never met him, her, them, but you share a dream and, together, you bring it to life. It can be about music, food, history, creativity. Some of the
Dorothee Lang
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of the book, and enjoyed reading it a lot. If you are interested in birds or nature, I highly recommend Mountainfit - it's a book that takes the reader along in an unknown landscape, far away from the normal routes - a place with an own rhythm, reflected in 21 chapters, each with a slightly different angle and theme. Parallel to the nature theme, Mountainfit also includes reflections on language - here's one of the passages I bookmarked:

"I love the idea that the langua
DeLene Beeland
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don’t recall how or when I first came across the writing of Meera Lee Sethi at her blog, The Science Essayist, but I remember slowing down my normal speed reading to savor her thoughts and words. While there are many blogs I enjoy for their content, I enjoy Meera’s blog for her lyricism, poetry, and sharp insight. She has a way of taking a seemingly ordinary natural thing, like dragon flies along the Gulf Coast, and imbuing it with extraordinary meaning, sense of place, history, and ecological ...more
JG (Introverted Reader)
Author Meera Lee Sethi travels to Sweden one summer to volunteer at a bird observatory. Her time in the mists and mountains of Sweden led her to write a collection of contemplative essays that are collected here.

What beautiful language! I was in deep like from the beginning and in love by the closing sentences of the first chapter.

"We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls. What you are reading was supposed to be a book about birds but it is about this, too."

A
Julian Hoffman
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, nonfiction
This is a small gem of a book, written in beautiful, hymn-like prose. When Meera Lee Sethi travels from the United States to northern Sweden to volunteer at a bird-ringing observatory, she enters a world that is entirely new to her, from the brilliant cast of light and songs of birds unknown to her, to the unfamiliar language born of this high latitude, one of mountains, rivers, forests and lakes. But she enters that world with an astonishing sensitivity and openness, eventually returning with a ...more
Jason Pettus
FTC DISCLOSURE: I am the publisher of this book.

This is the latest from my publishing company, the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography, slated for release on June 10th, 2013. At that point I will get a longer essay up here, explaining why I decided to sign this book in the first place. Don't mistake this version for the other "Mountainfit" listing here at Goodreads; that other one is for a slightly different version Sethi self-published last year!
Carolyn
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Fantastic.
So happy to be a supporter of Meera's Kickstarter project. This book is wonderful.
Jonathan
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Meera Lee Sethi. This is one of the most joyful reads I've ever had.
Suzanne
This is charming and thoughtful collection of short essays grounded in a summer the author volunteered doing bird conservation work in Sweden. It’s also, to me, a bit overwritten, with no metaphor left behind.

But I snickered appreciatively at her description of that Nordic horror, salted licorice: tasting a piece, she says, “is like suddenly falling asleep and plunging straight into a dream in which you are inhaling a swimming pool full of pee.”

Jo Deurbrouck
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like their natural history seasoned with intimate self-revelation
I know Meera from the #cnftweet community on Twitter, where she posts highly crafted, delightfully obscure microessays that often remind me of the Hemingway line about how a good short story is like an iceberg, with only the tip showing, so I was very interested to read her book.

Glad I did. Not only did I get an intimate tour of an ethereal landscape, its feathered inhabitants, and the ways we try to learn about them, I got to spend time inside an original, deeply introspective mind.

One of my fa
Sara Habein
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Sethi's book is a beautiful meditation on her travels to Sweden, where she assisted in the tracking of various species of birds. While I'm not much of a nature-book reader, nor do I particularly know anything about birds, I really enjoyed Mountainfit. Sethi's openhearted enthusiasm for what she learns and encounters is contagious, and the way she writes is closer to poetry than journalism.

Sethi wrote a guest post for my site about the Swedish coffee break called fika, and also gave a recipe for
Lori
Since I'm promoting this title, and work for the publisher, I won't rate this book. But I will tell you that if you like books with a scientific bent, books that focus on wildlife - and birdlife specifically, books that are non fiction, memoir-style collections, then this is the book for you. And I'd be happy to offer you an ecopy for review. Just drop me a line here!
guiltlessreader
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that this book overflows with wonder and joy of the natural world! I want more! Read my full review on my blog, Guiltless Reading. ...more
Science For The People
Recommended by Leslie Brunetta on Science for the People show #243 on December 13, 2013. http://www.scienceforthepeople.ca/epi... ...more
Leah (Books Speak Volumes)
Dec 16, 2013
Max
Oct 14, 2020
Mittal
Oct 16, 2020
An inquisitive nonfiction writer.

News & Interviews