Start by marking “Psalm Twentythree” as Want to Read:
Psalm Twentythree

Psalm Twentythree

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Through poignant, heart-warming images of an urban African-American family, children experience the comfort and encouragement this favorite psalm still offersthe powerful message that they can rely on the Lord as they thread their way through the risk-filled maze of daily life in the city."
Hardcover
Published July 7th 1997 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Psalm Twentythree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psalm Twentythree

Ursula

Another beautifully written and illustrated book giving glory to God! :D

Stephanie
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautifully illustrated and captures Psalm 23 perfectly. Tim Ladwig's artwork is brilliant.
Carrie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Text is exclusively Psalm 23. This pastoral prayer is juxtaposed against scenes of urban family life. Beautiful illustrations, kudos to Ladwig.
Bright
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pictures are so realistic, at times it looks like a photo. The expressions on the people’s faces tell a story as well. I know this family.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Psalms 23 illustrates the day of a little boy who lives in a big city. The little boy's situations correspond with the different verses of the psalm. For instance, the little boy walks by what looks to be some rough characters (gang members) to the verse, "Even though I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me."

Beautiful illustrations. I especially like the stained glass window of Jesus - where Jesus is not depicted as a blond, fair-skinned man.
LeAnne
Ladwig's full-color paintings interpret the words of the Shepherd Psalm in the inner-city world of an African-American child. “Green pastures” become the grass of the park. “Your rod and your staff” become the stop sign of the school crossing guard. “The valley of the shadow of death” is a scary street lined with thugs and aggressive dogs. Not all pages have words, and children have to study the pictures, rich in detail, to find the story. The lesson that God is there for them in their world wil ...more
Susan
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
the two other women at my job saw this, sighed with that deep wow what a great book pleasure, and announced who was receiving this for a Christmas present. A mother, a brother. I think this might be the book I want to donate in honor of my mother that I like to do every year on her birthday. I love how it expresses the grace in everyday life (something I am apt to forget if not reminded) and I love how it shows the loving grandparents raising the children. A story brought to life via the wonderf ...more
Elaine Bearden
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
PreS-upper elementary/middle school
This is an amazing book. It takes the text of the bible passage from Psalm 23 and puts it in an inner-city setting. The juxtaposition of the text with the joys and troubles of a real family - in this case, African-American, is just really amazing. Published originally in 1993, then again in 2003 by Eerdmans. In a very few cases, the people are a bit stiff, but mostly really well-done acrylics? or oil paints? in strong colors.
Art
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children and people who read to them
I just love how Tim Ladwig paints African-American children in urban settings paralleling the message of beautiful Scripture passages. I pause on each page and read the phrase while considering the painting- very much like doing a centering prayer, but doing this with my 3 year-old, too! "Psalm Twenty-Three" is just as colorful and calmly centering as Tim Ladwig's "The Lord's Prayer".
Salsabrarian
The 23rd Psalm narrates the day of an African-American brother and sister as they get ready for school and walk to school and back again at the end of the day. They are raised by their grandparents and live in an urban setting where shady characters hang out on the streets. But they are buffeted by the love of their teachers, grandparents and God. Lovingly portrayed with realistic paintings.
Rose Ann
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with children. Anyone, actually.
One of the best children's books ever. It is simply the 23rd Psalm, illustrated. It shows 2 children who live in the ghetto, and shows their day as they walk to school in the morning, play, eat their meals and bathe and go to bed. Simply put, but incredibly moving. Makes me weep every time I read it.
Livvie Esslinger
Through the words of this psalm and beautiful illustrations of African American children, this book shows the meaning and application of the scripture.

I thought this book was so sweet and beautifully done.

I might not read this aloud, but would definitely be one I would keep in my library.
Debbie Hoskins
This is one of my favorite books in our library. It's very sweet depiction of urban life.
J. Whitley
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great art and Ladwig has us rethink the way we see the Psalm by moving it from a rural setting to the city.
Brian crisp