Start by marking “Baseball's Starry Night: Reliving Major League Baseball's 2011 Wild Card Night of Shock and Awe” as Want to Read:

Baseball's Starry Night gives you a fan's-eye view of a night that many have called the most exciting night in the history of Major League Baseball. Going beyond a standard retelling of the balls and strikes and homers and webgems, the book hears from 20 fans in their own words. Loyal fans of the St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox, and Tampa Bay Rays provi

Published March 26th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Baseball's Starry Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball's Starry Night

Start your review of Baseball's Starry Night: Reliving Major League Baseball's 2011 Wild Card Night of Shock and Awe
Peter Lavetsky
May 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
If I'm going to give the book 1 star I should attempt to explain why.

The events the book is primarily written about took place on September 28th, 2011. The forward to the book was written by the author on March 8th, 2012. That gives the author and his team just about 5 months to conceive the idea for the book, convince the publisher it's a good enough idea to print, research the immensely vast topic of Baseball, write an outline, contact all references needed, write a first draft, revise the dra
Charles Selden
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The last day of the regular 2011 baseball was as unlikely as a recounting of it by a literate baseball fan with gift for writing and reporting. Yet it all comes together together in Baseball's Starry Night. There has never been a baseball season finish as compact, convoluted and confounding as September 28, 2011. It ended with two monumental collapses (the Braves and the Red Sox) and two unlikely wild card teams, the Rays and the Cardinals. As a final touch, the Redbirds kept on going to win the ...more
Dustin
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I figured there would be a book about this historic night eventually. I was happy to find it already. Clearly, the book was hastily put together, but Kocak does good research, and makes good use of twitter and fan reactions. He also manages to slip in some vibrant, poetic language, which was nice.

A good way to relive that crazy night. 2011 was the season that I went from being a fringe baseball observer to a fairly devoted fan. And the events of this night played a big part in that for me.
Shawn Camp
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012

Sorry Paul but this book just reads like a blog and should've stayed that way. All of the different viewpoints along with some background on each of them just felt like we were stretching the books length.

I'll admit the end of the 2011 season was amazing, but a feature length article or 2 would have been enough for most readers.
Amy
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Games 162 of 2011 were an amazing combination of luck, drama, meaning and fate. This book puts it all neatly in perspective and reminds us that, with the changes in playoff format, a night like that can never happen again. Lucky us that it did last year!
zumiee
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book about one of the weirdest nights the baseball world has ever seen. Watching it on TV was one thing; but I really enjoyed the way Kocak tied together the stories from the fans who were actually a part of it.
Allan
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
What an exciting read for all baseball fans including those whose teams lost! I read this during the Hot Stove League and am waiting ( impatiently) for next season. Redemption, redemption, redemption.
Annette
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, memoirs
if you love baseball, you'll love this book. and i'm part of the story! really.
Ken Jacobi
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great rendition of one of the greatest nights in baseball history.
Benn
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Found the errors in the Kindle version to be quite annoying, but enjoyed the fan accounts of "that night"
Jerry
Aug 16, 2012
Daniel
Jul 24, 2012
Rob
rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2012
John Charles
Oct 26, 2015
Francis X Duffy Jr
May 11, 2019

• Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret

News & Interviews