Start by marking “Webs of Fate: Webs of Fate: Book 1 of the Webs Series” as Want to Read:
Webs of Fate: Webs of Fate: Book 1 of the Webs Series

Webs of Fate: Webs of Fate: Book 1 of the Webs Series

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In the high-fashion world of the mid-'80s, Ashleigh McDowell falls victim to a painful betrayal by Danielle Norman, a naive and vulnerable young buyer who is fighting to save her plummeting career.  How high a price will both women pay in their battle over a grave secret?

Each step Ashleigh takes to uncover the truth about Danielle's actions—and her whereabouts—unwittingly
Published September 1st 2012 by Greenleaf Book Group Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Webs of Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Webs of Fate

Mike McNeff
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darlene Quinn’s Webs of Fate (Greenleaf Book Group Press) is a fast paced window into the world of department stores and high fashion laced with mystery, intrigue, suspense and romance. Quinn does a masterful job of manipulating chapters to prevent the reader from putting the book down. It’s almost impossible not to turn the page to see what is going to happen next.
The main character is Ashliegh McDowell, a beautiful, smart and courageous executive who is consumed with finding and clearing the n
Stefanie Jackson
Darlene Quinn's new novel Webs of Fate is a page turner from prologue to epilogue. The well developed charaters are introduced to the reader a little at a time with all their different personality traits, relationships to each other and of course the secrets of each will keep the novel close at hand until you reach the end. Webs of Fate is a Prequel to Darlene Quinn's award winning Webs of Power and Twisted Webs. The novel delves into the 1980's retail fashion market where a web of greed, murder ...more
Carol Harlow
Jan 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was to long and drawn out. I tried to get into, but I found the 3 page chapters slightly annoying. I love to read and for me its usually pure entertainment, but not this book. I thought it took to long to get to the conclusion. The idea for the mystery was good, but I found that when I picked up the book each time I got some of the characters confused.
Glenda Bixler
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Why would Mitchell send white roses when he knew...? A picture of Gran in her coffin flashed before her eyes. For a moment she doubted herself. Hadn't she mentioned...? She had. Ashleigh had specifically told him that white roses reminded her of death."

Whew! The Prequel to the Webs of Power series is fantastic! If you haven't read Quinn yet, I encourage you to start with this prequel before moving on to Webs of Power and Twisted Webs (Check out my earlier reviews). It is, of course, a great st
Dolores Ayotte
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This spellbinding, suspenseful novel takes place in the heart of the high-fashion, fast-paced, fiercely competitive business world in Beverly Hills during the mid-eighties. Bentleys Royale is feeling the pinch of the negative economic climate which creates a tension and desperation for increased employee performance and the meeting of impossible career demands. In this highly charged atmosphere with budget cuts and unrealistic bottom line demands, executives must perform or risk the loss of thei ...more
Dianne
Get ready to meet the ‘players’ in the high end retail fashion business as their personal and professional lives are spun into a web of deceit, love, and the quest for power at any cost, including murder. Darlene Quinn recreates the 80’s so well; it’s as if the reader is transported in a time capsule with her wonderful imagery through her words. Webs of Fate uncovers the not-so-pretty side of the world of high fashion and glamour when a fashion buyer goes missing and is accused of underhanded de ...more
Woody
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fashion buyer disappears under mysterious circumstances. Her department’s accounts are out of whack, indicating some reckless spending and, perhaps, felonious activity. Young Danielle is like a baby sister to Ashleigh McDowell, the lovely and headstrong personnel executive for Bentleys Royale. Doing her best to juggle her professional duty, personal relationships and determination to find the truth behind Danielle’s activities, Ashleigh herself becomes a target.
This is the recipe for Darlene Q
Sally Szabo
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Let me see if I can explain how I felt while reading it...Have you ever been with your best friends "chatting it up" for hours? And the worry of someone needing to leave, breaking up the fun would run through your thoughts throughout the gathering? You coud have sat there talking forever, not wanting it to end? That's how I felt reading Web's Of Fate....I didn't want it to end. I found myself spreading out my reading times because I didn't want to finish the book. Kind of like ...more
Cynthia
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
Attention to detail is the hallmark of Bentleys Royale, the fictional high-end retailer in Darlene Quinn’s novel Webs of Fate. The same could be said of Quinn, who renders her characters and settings so well that one could visit them and know exactly what to do. In fact, once I finished the book, I found myself missing the people in it. But the book is not just details, as finely drawn as those are. Quinn interweaves plots in a way that has you almost as concerned for the fate of the store as fo ...more
Tonya
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Quinn's fast-paced writing and chapter-ending cliffhangers kept me in for the ride. Coming from a 1980s department store (now closed) management background, I felt at home waltzing through the back offices with Ashleigh and Conrad, who I loved in Webs of Power. Quinn's characters are multi-dimensional and she pays such close detail to the little things around them. The reader cannot do anything other than see and feel the tale unfold. I had a hard time putting it ...more
Samanthanoellegolt
Emotionally captivating novel about betrayal and loyalty, anger and love, compassion and greed. Complex characters strive to live their lives among the difficulties faced in the upper echelons of the 1980s retail industry and are thrown off balance by the unfolding of unexpected events. Classy, eloquent, dynamic and passionate.
Carlyle Labuschagne
This is an author you want to follow. To me it was more like watching a film. The attention to detail amazed me. Reading it was like living it. The vast character cast are very likeable, and vivid to the core. A mystery you need to find an answer to. As a writer I learnt a lot from this extraordinary writer. Being one of those books where the choice of words fit perfectly into the theme.
Sweetsue
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darlene Quinn has spun us all a fine tale of greed, revenge, lies and even love and pulls un into this world so we too become caught in the webs of fate. Set in Beverly Hills in the 1980's this book takes us back to the wonderful era of great department stores. This one will keep you guessing and turning pages to read what happens next. A good Read!
Brenda
The main female character was seeking true love like her grandparents had. The characters were well rounded and I could believe that they could be real people. I found the story to be a pageturner. I enjoyed the story from cover-to-cover. I will seek out this author again in the future.
Tara Brown
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the review for the book Webs of Fate on Audible written by Darlene Quinn and narrated by Karin Allers.

Let me start by saying that this is a long book! It is over 15 hours...one of the longer ones I have in my library. However, the cliff-ending chapters are short, which I love, and kept me listening! For those of you who like long listens, this may be the one for you! It is the first book I have read in this series, as well as my first from this author. If I choose to listen to the other
Melanie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This whole series so far has been a very good read. I highly recommend that if you have not read the previous book in this series that you go back and do so. This is book three in the Webs Series by Darlene Quinn.

Ashleigh was engaged to Dan but he ended up dying before they got married. Before Dan died, Ashleigh promised him that she would take care of his sister Danielle. Ashleigh has been sort of a mentor to Danielle since then.

Fast forward a few years and Danielle has been working as a buyer
Suzan
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I didn't like this book as much as the first book I read by this author. This book is really long and I had a hard time keeping track of who is who and just what was going on. I thought the narrator did a fine job of reading this book. I was gifted the book with the understanding I would leave an honest review.
Jasmyn
This is the best so far in this series. Going back in time to visit Ashleigh and experience some of the events that are briefly mentioned and referenced in the first two books. There are three distinct crimes that happen in this book, and each has its own unique and special twist. They all revolve around a missing buyer from Bentleys Royale, Danielle. Ashleigh and Danielle have quite the history together, and she just knows that Danielle would never just disappear - she loved her job too much an ...more
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
Webs of Fate
By Darlene Quinn

Ashleigh McDowel is a woman that has her career on the right track. Her fiancé Mitchell Wainwright has plans for them the night she is informed her friend has went missing. Danielle Norman never showed up at her appointment in New York and Ashleigh knows that Danielle was looking forward to that appointment.

Conrad Taylor is a man that can do what needs to be done professionally without interference of his personal thoughts, or so he could before his friend and ex Da
Home. Love. Books.
Darlene Quinn takes us back to the 80’s in this book, Webs of Fate. I have to say I have no read two of her other books, and I thought this was the third book in the series, but the one I read prior to this was in the 90’s so I think I either have the order wrong, or the author did not write the books in chronological order, both of which are very possible.

I liked this one a lot more than I liked the last book I read, there was just more depth I think to Ashliegh’s character, which was nice. Pl
Books
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book will certainly not appeal to everybody’s taste, but I found it to be an exciting and compelling read. Not my genre of choice, but a welcome relief from my usual reads.

It took me awhile to get to the point where I couldn’t put it down, but once there I quickly got caught up in the highs and lows of the main characters’ lives. Intricately written with detailed character backgrounds and an exquisite setting, the multi-layered plot had quite a few unexpected twists and surprises. New chara
Phyllis
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Webs of Fate was my first introduction to author, Darlene Quinn.
This book has all the elements of a great read. Ashleigh is a very strong protagonist....I had visions
of Emma Harte, the original woman of substance, as I read. The setting of a high end department
store, Bentleys Royale, made the story so real. All the escapades of what goes on in the retailing
industry was so telling. Mischief, romance, mystery, criminality, greed and more contribute
to keeping the reader turning those pages. I coul
Linda Thompson
The sign of a good book is when I reach the last page and can say I did not see one proofreading error. The sign of a really good book is when I can’t wait to get to the end, yet am sad to see the last page. Darlene Quinn’s Webs of Fate is all of this and more, and could easily be a standalone. Being part of Quinn’s Web series, the last page leaves us eagerly waiting to learn what is coming in the next book. What fate awaits Ashleigh, Conrad and yes, even Mitchell? Every character seems to be ho ...more
Sweetpea
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A look into the high fashion world of the 80's, Webs of Fate combined mystery, intrigue and romance for a very satisfying story. The narration was well done and enhanced my listening experience. Be prepared for a long list of characters and a lengthy listen! The chapters were fairly short, which broke the book down into very manageable chunks. Overall, Webs of Fate was a very enjoyable listen and I would recommend it.

I was voluntarily provided this review copy audiobook at no charge by the autho
Brenda Merson
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book, however, I did get confused sometimes about the politics of the store. There were a lot of characters, it was a little hard to keep them straight. The mystery that Ashleigh had to deal with was interesting. It was a big book but a quick read because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I do look forward to reading the author's other books. I won this on Goodreads.
Jenee Dana
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darlene Quinn knows how to get you hooked into a story. I have a rule, if a book can make me laugh and cry, it's a winner. Webs of Fate did just that! And the ENDING....OMG. I can't say too much about this book without giving away spoilers. If you love suspense and thrillers, this book is for you.
Kristin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Another amazing book from this series! I was really nice to read this Prequel after the first 2 books, and learn about how the characters got to where they are now. I am onto the next book, because I can't wait to see what is in store for the characters in the future.
Shelly
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this prequel to the "Web" series. It was very interesting to see how the characters I've grown to love developed into the people they are in later books. Hard to put this one down!
Katarina
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the other books in the series I really enjoyed it.

It's the type of sweeping saga that reminds me of Barbara Taylor Bradford books.

There's strong women, family backstabbing, mystery, drama, and entertainment on every page.
Lynn Gardner
Jan 04, 2016
DARLENE QUINN HAS SPUN A MASTERPIEICE 2 7 Jul 18, 2012 02:42AM
DARLENE QUINN HAS SPUN A MASTERPIEICE 1 2 Jul 09, 2011 02:33AM
  • Relentless Liberation : Serano Brothers Novel, Book1
  • His Game, Her Rules (The Warriors, #1)
  • A Dangerous Invitation (The Rookery Rogues, #1)
  • Kilingiri
  • Everybody's Got a Story (Toronto, #12)
  • The Darkness of Shadows
  • Ward Against Disaster (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #3)
  • How to Reprimand Your Rock Star (DommeNation, #2)
  • Domino Effect (Domino, #1)
  • Fifty Years in Polygamy: Big Secrets and Little White Lies
  • The Shadow Princess
  • Take Me, Cowboy (Love on Chance Avenue #1; 75th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4)
  • Once Upon A Wallflower
  • The Undiscovered Goddess
  • Dark Surrender (Gothic Historical Romance, #1)
  • Grayling's Song
  • Soon
  • The Paradise Trees
Darlene Quinn is an international award winning author and speaker from Long Beach, California.

Darlene writes what she likes to read, which is page-turning-suspense, based on actual events in the world of fashion department stores, while never allowing the facts to get in the way of a good story. The stand-alone Web series explores love and loss, career and family, forgiveness and redemption. Fast

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99