Start by marking “The Haunting of Apartment 101 (The Paranormalists, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Haunting of Apartm...

Megan Atwood

The Haunting of Apartment 101

(The Paranormalists #1)

Jinx was a social reject who became a punked-out paranormal investigator. Jackson is a jock by day and Jinx's ghost-hunting partner by night. When a popular girl named Emily asks the duo to explore a haunting in her dad's apartment, Jinx is skeptical—but Jackson insists they take the case. And the truth they find is even stranger than Emily's story.
ebook
Published October 28th 2012 by Lerner Classroom (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Apartment 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Apartment 101

Rosalie
I wasn’t expecting a lot out of this one. It was short and I haven’t had the best of luck with short paranormal fiction.

I was pleasantly surprised with it. I really enjoyed it. It was short enough to read in an hour or so but still keep all the details. When I was done I wasn’t left searching for answers to questions brought up in the book. The beginning, middle, end were all nicely thought out and worked quite well.

I liked the storyline and characters although there was a bit of a lack in cha
Karen Burt
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts, unexplained noises and strange happenings really peek the interest of young readers and this book is all over it!! The book is appropriate and would interest 5th-8th grade. I don't think students any younger than 5th grade should read this book because Atwood makes the topic of ghosts come alive and that could be very frightening and even disturbing. Many kids between 5th-8th grade would not only be able to relate to the subject matter but the main characters are very realistic and belie ...more
Mrs.  Jones
The Haunting of Apartment 101 is about Jinx and Jackson who are a ghost hunting duo. They try to discover the mystery of whether apartment 101 is haunted or not and what to do about it.

The characters are somewhat well developed and the plot is pretty interesting but overall I found the book predictable and lacking. It is definitely a book for younger readers (5th-7th grade) but even so I think the characters and plot could have been more developed. I did like the play between the two main chara
Courtney
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jinx is a nobody by day, and a paranormal investigator at night. Jackson is a jock by day, and Jinx's partner by night. One day at school Emily, one of the most popular girls in school, asks the duo for help. Jinx is skeptical, but Jackson insist on taking the case. Well, the truth is just as strange as Emily's stories are.
This book was very short, yet it took me a while to read. I love paranormal books, but I don't think added high school students into the mix worked out good.
Valerie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fun quick real with a nice twist AND a surprise at the end.
Lynn Caygle
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for older students with lower reading ability
Charmaine Lim
It was an easy listen on Audible, but really predictable. Finished it halfway through my workout and felt disappointed.

Full review here - https://charmainelimen.wordpress.com/...
Charlotte Hunter
Who says a ghost story has to (a) be long to deliver a few chills and decent character development, or (b) be peopled with sympathetic protagonists? Not me. And certainly not Megan Atwood, author of The Paranormalists, Case 1: The Haunting of Apartment 101.

I came across this 2012 publication in my favorite way, browsing through library shelves and taking a chance. I immediately liked the tone of the blog entries that lead off the story: brash, defiant, and funny. My enthusiasm dipped, however, i
Desiree
Jane is tired of not being noticed in high school, over the summer she transforms herself from being plain Jane to a Twizzler eating, paranormal investigator named Jinx who has a hard time being positive. Jinx and her best friend Jackson are as different as night and day. Jackson the popular kid who loves to play sports and everyone knows in name. The one thing they do have in common is their love of paranormal investigations. Jinx is excited to have launched her ghost hunting website for her bu ...more
Melissa
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Jinx ~ tech nerd, paranormal investigator, outcast in her high school, and closet nice girl

Jackson ~ jock, popular in high school, paranormal investigator, and has what Jinx refers to as White Knight Syndrome

Emily comes to Jinx and Jackson with a real case. After having so many investigations turn out to be fakes they are both pretty excited. While doing some research they decide that Emily's case is indeed the real deal. Now they just need to figure out how to make this investigation go smoothl
Lucas Montano
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that it was a good book. I like that it was a little scary. It was a good story it made me want to keep reading every time i stopped. Even in the beginning it was still pretty good and not boring like other books ive read. I actually got into this book too unlike most other books are boring and its hard for me to keep reading them but this one is good enough to where i actually want to keep reading instead of stopping and thats actually how i read it pretty fast. The book had a good stor ...more
Leeann Sheriff
Jackson and Jinx have started up a blog about their paranormal studies. Only problem is they never actually came into contact with a real ghostly situation. As a new school year begins Jackson runs into Emily and she looks like a deer in head lights. Come to find out. She thinks that she is being haunted and they are into killing her.
When Jackson convinces Jinx to help his friend Emily out, they find out that there was actually a murder suicide in the exact apartment that Emily and her father h
RJ
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed this a lot. Short, but with a very in depth story line. Great read!
Kara Kinsman
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libs-678
This book is extraordinarily short for a teen fiction book, so I can see why it is a YALSA quick pick winner. For being so short, the real meat of the story doesn't come in until late in the book, and it leaves off with a bit of a cliffhanger, so I was a little disappointed that it didn't go on longer. The characters were fairly simple, and I wanted a bit more of their background and insight into what makes them who they are and what their personalities are really like, but I assume more backgro ...more
PopcornReads
When I found Case #1: The Haunting of Apartment 101 in The Paranormalists series by Megan Atwood, I was looking for books that would fit our Halloween selections. This one looked like it might be just the thing, so I snapped it up. It turns out that this is a short YA paperback that’s a lot of fun, with some creepy moments. I’d say it’s more appropriate for tween through young teenage readers. Think Scooby Doo without so many people, or a dog, but with some nasty ghosts. After watching Ghost Hun ...more
Suzie Bookgirl
Jinx and Jackson are setting themselves up as ghost hunters. Jinx is a prickly misfit who is hostile to all but Jackson. Jackson is her trusted (?) sidekick who is the popular quarterback. When the normally perfect Emily shows up at school haggard and crying, she tells Jackson she thinks she is being haunted. Jackson is determined to help and finally gets Jinx to agree. But things are more mysterious than imagined in Apartment 101. Short easy read. Suit tween or young teen. Writing questionable ...more
Kathryn
Aug 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not the best book I've ever read, but it probably does deserve more stars than I have given it. Why? Because this book wasn't written for me. It is a young adult book written for reluctant readers (something I am not now and never have been) in their teens. For the readers it is aimed toward, this is probably a fun, exciting little book, and I can imagine those readers giving it much better reviews. Personally, I just didn't connect with it. But like I said, I wasn't meant to.
D.peabody
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Jinx and Jackson are setting themsevles up as ghost hunters. Jinx is a prickly misfit who is hostile to all but Jackson. Jackson is her trusted (?) sidekick who is the popular quaterback. When the normally perfect Emily shows up at school haggard and crying, she tells Jackson she thinks she is being haunted. Jackson is determined to help and finally gets Jinx to agree. But things more mysterious than imagined in Apartment 101. Short easy read. Suit tween or young teen. Writing questionable but a ...more
Sam Harrison
Jinx is an outcast. Jackson is a popular kid. Emily is a crazy popular new girl. Jinx is into the ghost hunting business. Jackson is her partner. Emily claims she is being haunted. They go check it out. GUESS WHAT! MAYBE IT ISN'T GHOSTS!

Notice the short sentences. The book is short. Short like my sentences. Very unsatisfactory. Overall an ok book and a quick read. Good for a kiddo who is into ghosts but doesn't want a full on horror story.
Kathleen Brunnett
YA - This book is written with a high interest low reader in mind. The length of the book as well as the topic of paranormalcy will appeal to many. I just couldn't get past the main female character. I tried hard to like her, but she just annoyed me the entire book. Perhaps book two in this series will shape her into something more relatable.
Sherrie
This was a quick read, only 101 pages. The premise of teenage paranormal hunters was intriguing but not fully fleshed out within the book. The book was short on details and character development. I feel this would be a good book for reluctant readers because the length of the book isn't overwhelming.
readknitread
Jinx and Jackson love the show Ghost Hunters so they start their own paranormal investigating group. Before long they have their first case, a classmate says the apartment they live in is haunted. Jinx and Jackson have the tools and start the investigation. Ghost Hunting is intense work for those who love it.

This was a good hi-low, reluctant reader series.
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ya-fiction
For a fast-paced 100 page read, this ghost-thriller tops my short list. The believable tension between the two ghost hunting teens keeps the story tension from sagging. And I enjoyed the double twist at the end. These would be perfect for middle schoolers as well as high schoolers who prefer short easy reads.
Suzanne Dix
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 7 and 8
Meh. I had higher hopes for this one. While the two main characters are 16, this short novel would only appeal to middle schoolers. The content is fairly tame and for a ghost story that is a complete downer.
Mimi-loves-her-books!
Not bad.
I liked the relationship between Jinx and Jackson and the plot was pretty good.
I gave this book four stars because it was not bad but it was not amazing either. However, the cliff hanger at the end made me want to read the second book in the series.
Scott
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-story, horror
Saw this at the library tonight while browsing with my middle-school-aged-daughter. She wasn't interested in this but I figured it would be worth an hour of my time.

The story was fun and I got goosebumps once or twice.

Definitely better than watching TV...
Mz. Diana Gagliardi
oooh!! this is FUN!! two great main characters, fun paranormal investigation (yay!), with quick cleverness and a series!! Let's go!
Ashlei
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am not sure I received the entire galley, if so....it left me hanging. Liked the beginning though
Jan
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read for younger teens, tweens.
April Floyd
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was a good quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
time.period 2 3 Apr 29, 2014 03:35AM
  • Buried Thunder
  • Guilty
  • Eve of Destruction (Dark Eden, #2)
  • Mayhem (Mystyx, #3)
  • Under His Spell (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #4)
  • On the Day I Died: Stories from the Grave
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen
  • Love Will Keep Us Together (Miracle Girls, #4)
  • Grave Images
  • The Whispering House
  • Shapeshifter
  • Fear: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror
  • Choosing Courage: True Stories of Heroism from Soldiers and Civilians
  • The Harder the Fall (Girl Meets Ghost, #2)
  • A Guide to the Other Side (Beyond Baylor, #1)
  • Ferocity Summer
  • Ciao (On the Runway, #6)
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
Megan Atwood lives and works in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she teaches creative writing at a local college and the Loft Literary Center. She has an M.F.A. in writing for children and young adults and was a 2009 Artist Initiative grant recipient through the Minnesota State Arts Board. She has been published in literary and academic journals and has the best cat that has ever lived.

The Paranormalists (4 books)
  • The Terror of Black Eagle Tavern (The Paranormalists, #2)
  • The Mayhem on Mohawk Avenue (The Paranormalists, #3)
  • The Bridge of Death (The Paranormalists, #4)