Start by marking “Detailing Trauma: A Poetic Anatomy” as Want to Read:
Detailing Trauma: A Poetic Anatomy

Detailing Trauma: A Poetic Anatomy

In a series of linked lyric essays, Detailing Trauma explores in vivid, sometimes graphic detail the many types of wounds from which the human body and spirit may suffer—and heal. Mapping the diseases and injuries that can afflict the body, the author asks how we can continue to live and love in the face of the great potential for suffering and loss.

She names each section
Published September 15th 2012 by University Of Iowa Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Detailing Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detailing Trauma

Start your review of Detailing Trauma: A Poetic Anatomy
El
Here's one of those hybrid nonfiction books I love to find so much! It reminds me that what I want to do with my own writing can be done, there's a home and an audience for it, even if people tell me there isn't. So while now might not be the time to do it the way I want to, I continue to read other people doing it so I can stay inspired.

These linked lyric essays specifically talk about the different times of wounds and experiences a body can go through, and how they can heal. It's a lovely book
Gloria Bonnell
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The opening of Detailing Trauma is this:

Detailing trauma. Things that can go wrong. So many sites on the body map.

With a flowing narrative that examines the suffering and healing of the human body and soul, Detailing Trauma weaves a thoughtful and heartfelt discovering of the connection of the physical and psychical self. Arianne Zwartjes writes seeking meaning from this intangible life using the trauma experienced by the very tactile and tangible human body. As she weaves, she asks the reader t
Razan Idris
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, methodically written, slow musing over the relationship between physical and emotional trauma and loss. I really enjoyed reading this book - the carefully drawn out and described metaphors for each part of the body are thoughtful and relateable. What I liked the most about 'Detailing Trauma' was how it explored how close we are to trauma - health and good times are usually taken for granted, and the deliberately carefully drawn out medical descriptions truly strike close to the hear ...more
Melanie Madden
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Brainy and beautiful. I learned a lot about anatomy, which is rich with delicious vocabulary, and there are profound lyric meditations on love and loss, vulnerability and protection, and the inevitability of rupture. At times a little too clinical, too think-y for my taste. I want more character and story, and these are a little too slant for me to be fully engaged throughout.
Frank Jude
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, full disclosure: I know Arianne as a student, a sangha sister, and as a friend, so I will be willing to cop to perhaps some bias, so, feel free to take away one star. It still is awesome and "I really liked it."

This is a book to be read slowly and savored; sometimes a paragraph or two will just stop me cold and I've got to 'chew on it,' before reading on. Sometimes, a full essay leaves me breathless and even though I'd like to keep reading, I must stop and let it work on me -- and it does.
Bateauxmouches
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs_essays
It's as if poetry twinned with a medical textbook. Improbable as it is stunning and lyrical. ...more
Meg
A Stoic exercise in staring finitude straight in the face.

Or: half a poem, half a medical textbook. For those days you just can't choose.
Lopez Heather
Feb 07, 2021 rated it did not like it
Absolute trash, unless you want so much wierd metaphors, this author is useless.
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Good example of how NOT to write about trauma
Kristi Or
Jul 03, 2018
Kimberly Priest
Oct 23, 2020
Isia Ngambe
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2021
Stefanie
Oct 11, 2014

• Worship
  • Queens of the Resistance: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Party Favors (So Over the Holidays #4)
  • Dominate (Deliver #8)
  • My Dad's Best Friend (A Touch of Taboo, #3)
  • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: La giovane favolosa
  • AOC: The Fearless Rise of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and What It Means for America
  • Uncaged: The Biography of Nicholas Cage