Start by marking “Touchback” as Want to Read:
Touchback

Touchback

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
** NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE **

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU GOT A SECOND CHANCE?

When Scott Murphy scored the winning touchdown in the 1991 state championship game, it should have launched a golden future—the full scholarship to Ohio State, the million-dollar signing bonus, marriage to the beauty queen, and NFL glory.

Instead, it all ended with a sickening pop as his leg shatte
Published April 12th 2012 by Sky Village Press

To ask other readers questions about Touchback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchback

Bukcrz
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-can-loan
As a reader, my first pick books would be romance but when I saw the movie thriller for this book I picked it up - and glad I did.
The hero is a bitter shell of what used to be a promising football superstar, with a chip on his shoulder, he spurns every kind hand in determination to make it on his own - cripple and all. He sounds like an everyday hero you can read on any book but the way the author chronicled and portrayed his gut-wrenching (I am not using the word lightly) frustration and defian
Bob Suggs
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Murphy is a man on the edge of failure. His dreams of being a football player and escaping the small town life are shattered just like his leg after winning the big High School game. Now, 20 years later his last name "Murphy" seems to be a curse, just like "Murphy's Law: if it can go wrong it will", and for our Scott Murphy it's a series of one bad thing after another.

He's broke. He's lost in a world of self pity and everything is crumbling down around him. But fate seems to be looking down on h
Jenny Nicholson
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is another one of those free Kindle downloads that took me by surprise. (Disclaimer: I tend to approach these with somewhat lowered expectations, so if you read it on my recommendation and don't agree, you can't say I didn't warn you.)

On the surface, it's a football novel, a story about youthful glory and how quickly it fades. But there are deeper undertones about fate and choices, about what we take for granted and about how easy it can be to become someone we don't particularly like. Ther
Katya
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you could go back to a pivotal moment in your own past, would you make the exact same choices or would you try to change something? Although I have no great love of football, I loved this book!
Vered
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say right off that this goes on my Highly-recommended-and-I’ll-tell-everyone-I-know-to-read-it list. Yes, I have just such a list. It’s not very long. This book definitely makes it on.

So I guess you can say I really, really liked this book.

The basic premise is familiar: what if you were given a second chance to change the moment that destroyed your life? That’s exactly what Murphy, a former high school football star, gets. Two completely different futures hinge on what he decides. H
Connie N.
I'd rate this 4.5 stars if I could. This was a freebie from Amazon a couple of years ago, and what a lovely book. At first glance it would seem to be a sports book about Mr. Football, a high school quarterback that was on the fast track to the NFL, one of the greats. But when a disaster happens to keep him home, he becomes bitter and unhappy. Twenty years later he's happily married and has 2 kids, but he's still struggling to make ends meet, is stuck in his small town, and feels that he missed o ...more
Rick
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The reviews are right, "Touchback" is an excellent, inspirational novel.
Scott Murphy was a high school hero on the gridiron--scholarships and a career in the NFL are his. Until an injury on the last play of his last game shatters his life.
Now, twenty years later, Murphy finds himself in a position to--literally--go back in time and change that moment.
Football may be the premise, but the true driving forces of "Touchback" are faith, family and one man's journey in search of himself.

I thoroughly e
N. Kuhn
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Has there ever been a point in your life that you felt, "If I could change that, things would be different"? Would you want to change things? Think about where you are in your life now. If you're happy, if you're loved, and you go back to change things, you will lose it all. It's a hard choice. But in this book, that's what Scott Murphy is faced with. A chance to change his fate, his life, and live it out how he felt it should have been. I couldn't stop reading this book. ...more
Christy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you could live a life defining moment over again? One that you think would make your life and others around you easier. But would it? If you went back and changed things, you might not have the wife you have now or your kids. This is a story about such a dilema that a man goes through. He has lots of challenges in his life since a fateful day in High School and everything seems to go wrong but when he goes back in time as an adult in a tennage boys body to change things.. he ...more
Sharon
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is about hope, love and self awareness. I really enjoyed the story of Murphy and the second chance that he receives to become the man he wants to be.

Mr. Handfield’s perservance in getting his story made into a movie is tremendous. I hope to see the movie soon (YES, Kurt Russell is in it!) and from the movie trailers I see, it looks like it follows the book faithfully.

Thank you to Don Handfield and Kimberly Kinrade from Novel Publicity for giving me the opportunity to post this guest po
Mike
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
An easy read. The main character, Murphy, is likeable and believable and the time shift easy to assimilate. Everything is slightly larger than real life and it should make (has made?) an excellent movie. Since it was a free kindle there can be no word of complaint without being churlish. I very much enjoyed the tale although, unlike a number of reviewers, I cannot say it will make me reflect any differently on life. It wasn't that deep or novel. A fun way to pass the time and if you can get it f ...more
Mark Nawrocki
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OH WHAT A GOOD BOOK!!
high school football hero scott murphy has it all
the looks ,the arm ,and the girl
scoring the winning touchdown during the championship
he suffers a terrible injury and his life is changed for ever....
married,broke,and suffering from "murphy's law"
he is despondent enough to commit suicide for the insurance money
for his family.....
but did he die??
is this heaven??
or did he get a second chance??
5 star book read it in one day
also made into a movie......must read!!!
Bizzy Day
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a freebie on the kindle and didn't have particularly high expectations as freebies can be hit or miss! Must say I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I didn't know what to expect from the story (how sure can you be when confronted by a synopsis that includes football, time travel and a love story) but the message is universal, any and everyone can relate to this. A beautiful, inspiring and touching narrative.
Tina
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
TWO THUMBS UP!! What an awesome read with such insight into the human psyche (sp?) It really hits home - there are so many times in our lives when we question where our lives are going, why do we have to go through this? When will this end? This book is like that - about a teenage "hero" who becomes a champion in the truest sense of the word! The book was so awesome - I just bought the movie!! I just hope the movie can portray the poignant moments. Thank you for such a great book -
Debbie Cooke
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an unexpected surprise! This was a book that I found for free for my Kindle, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Pleasantly, I found that Don Handfield had an engaging writing style and I was drawn to the book's exploration of a man's fate. "What ifs" are things that everyone thinks about and Handfield's lead character has "what ifs" from here to the moon and back again! I can certainly see why this was made into a movie.
Judy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fate or destiny? What would you do if you got a do-over of some of your life's biggest moments? What would the consequences be if you changed your history? What does it take to be a champion? I thought this would be a book mostly about football, but football wasn't the point at all. It was a Kindle Freebie, and I really liked it!
Carol
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This emotional story takes me back to the thrilling high school days of football. However, I, unlike most of America, do not care for ( nor like the values of) NicholAs Sparks Notebook type stories. By the last chapters I had soured on this saccharin and too mystical love story - not for me despite the great football portions.
Memory
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may2012
I got this book for free on my Kindle. I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm so glad I read it! its not the typical book I pick up but it was so good. makes you think long and hard about the past and what things are holding you back in your present. I didn't want to put it down and it was so frustrating every time I got interrupted. I definitely recommend this book! I look forward to the movie!
Allen
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: proofed
Christian Inspirational Romance. I usually find errors in these books but this one has only 3 that I found, which is not enough to mark the rating down for errors. If the author wants them contact me at amacd55 at gmail dot com.
Mayghen
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Did not realize this was the movie until I was about halfway through with it. I kind of wanted to see the movie before I read this book, now I really want to see it. Very good book and makes you wonder what you would do if you could change your life.
Cheryl
Dec 16, 2012 added it
Touch back helps answer the question "what if ...." or is it time travel? To relive a defining moment in our hero's young life is zoology tempting. But would relieving the event change just the physical outcome of a bum leg or would all the GOOD things change too? And what would YOU do?
Val
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Loved this book. What a great surprise this book turned out to be. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the somewhat slow start. The tone of the book was along the lines of "It's A Wonderful Life". Nice Story.
Kathy
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone! It is a great read. A story of love, loyalty, loss, courage, hope etc. I could go on and on.
A man has the chance to go back and rewrite his past. Will he do it? Will it make him a better man? Would you want to go back?
Nick Schroeder
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a free book from Amazon. Having read a few free selections in the past, my expectations were not very high, to say the least. This book ended up being a pleasant surprise. Greatly enjoyed it.
Rachel
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This novel is o.k. I can understand why a movie was made of it, but I admit that the flashback/time-travel scenes are a little overwrought.
Trish Bodine
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful work that was delayed in finishing by school starting. I would highly recommend to anyone that had a thought about changing the defining moment in his/her life.
Dee
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lot of football talk but has an excellent message for all. I am going to watch the movie.
Rebecca Goerz (Wheeler)
Aug 03, 2012 marked it as to-read-and-have
Shelves: ebook
Got for free on Amazon.
Katie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was good! I mean, we've all read this story before in various different forms, but it's always good to remember that things work out for a reason. It's good and very touching.
Joanne
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very moving story with a startling point of view by of the protagonist. Don't know if I liked the ending but obviously it has meaning and makes a statement. Let's see what the movie is like.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Missing Pieces of My Forever-Heart
  • Sleeping Tigers
  • Whale Song
  • The Pineville Heist
  • Yesterday's Flight
  • Eve of Destruction
  • While You Were Dead
  • In Deep Shitake (Shitake Mystery, #1)
  • On Ice
  • Echoes
  • Once Was Lost
  • Reluctant Protector (Protectors, #1)
  • Gifts and Consequences
  • A Little Ray of Sunshine
  • Past Forward: The Beginning, Episode 1 (Past Forward, #1)
  • The Fall of Billy Hitchings (A John Reeves Novel)
  • Three Days in Seattle
  • A Little Bit of Déjà Vu (Return to Redemption, #1)
Don Handfield is an American writer, director and producer of feature films including Touchback, starring Kurt Russell and Christine Lahti, which he wrote and directed and which is based on his first full-length novel of the same name. He is currently writing Slingshot for Paramount Pictures and rebooting Buck Rogers for Freedom Films.

He is also a published author and essayist with a degree in Jo
More about Don Handfield

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You know what the future is? The future is just a bunch of what you're doing right now, strung together.” 0 likes