Start by marking “Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance” as Want to Read:

LEARN HOW TO HACK HUMAN MOVEMENT

Join the movement that has reached millions of athletes and coaches; learn how to perform basic maintenance on your body, unlock your human potential, live pain free…and become a Supple Leopard.

Improve your athletic performance, extend your athletic career, treat body stiffness and achy joints, and rehabilitate injuries&#821
Published April 23rd 2013 by Victory Belt Publishing (first published February 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Supple Leopard, please sign up.
Veronica Moss Obviously by doing more yoga and then figuring out the secret of how to morph into an endangered species.
Sandy Abel It is my understanding that when you have your feet just under your hips, it is best with toes pointed forward. However, toes can be out about 30…moreIt is my understanding that when you have your feet just under your hips, it is best with toes pointed forward. However, toes can be out about 30 degrees for more comfort. The placement of the feet is for your BOS (base of support). If you have toes pointed too much, you loose stability in the base. Try it yourself and you'll see. Regarding the tracking of knees, for squats I try to push my knees out away from my feet to open up the hip joint. For deadlifts, I keep my knees straight. (less)

Samantha
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health, 2014, non-fiction
Meh.

The first 20% of this book is just stupid and almost entirely unnecessary. I'm not exaggerating when I say it could have been condensed to two pages and the book overall would have been the better for it. To save you the trouble of reading a fifth of the book, I'll just sum it up for you. In one sentence: The way that I stand is the right way, and everyone should stand like me.

This point of view is distinctly different and separate from the sentence: I like to stand the right way. It's also
Rebbecca
Jun 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: text-books
When I first finished this book and implemented its techniques, I had absolutely zero idea about anatomy and physiology. Now after delving into how the human body works, receiving formal training, I cannot endorse this book at all. It follows the older line of thought that it is muscle and tissue that controls everything, and that it can force change through outside influences.

Going into that further later, I will explain what exactly is wrong with this book, from someone who works in rehabilita
Rian
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
crossfit noise
Claire
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended if you are an athlete, trainer, coach, or someone with a physically strenuous job. I don't really fall into any of those categories but the book was for me too.

If you weight train, I'd call this book essential. You need to know you're performing your lifts correctly to both maximize your potential and to prevent injuries that can be exacerbated by repetitions over time. The book is full of photographs demonstrating a variety of exercises and common faults to avoid.

How does thi
Doug
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The absolute best reference on keeping your body pain-free while getting fit. Kelly not only knows his stuff, he makes it understandable to the layperson.

The detailed pics & descriptions make this book a must-have
Angela
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Are you tired of being told that your aches / paints / injuries / etc. will go away if you "just do more yoga / strength work / stretch more"? Do you feel like you're just cobbling together a mix of common sense & pseudo-science & hoping for the best without any clear idea of what is *actually* causing your problems and what is *actually* likely to fix things?

If so, you might at the very least find this book interesting. Starrett's philosophy is that “All human beings should be able to p
Kim Pallister
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I finished the book a while back but am just getting around to posting a review.

Kelly Starrett is really well known in the Crossfit community. As a Crossfit gym owner and Doctor of Physical Therapy, he has carved out a really niche of expertise as being the "joint, form and mobility guy" of crossfit. In addition, he has posted a ton of really useful videos to youtube over the past couple years that have made him a well known name. So, when he announced the book, many people pre-ordered and I wa
Tayvonne
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I kind of want to give this book four and a half stars instead of five because even though I absolutely love this book and its easily my most useful I feel it has a few flaws.

1. Starrett seems to have gone commercial completely siding with Rogue making his website something you have to pay for and this book showing a lot of product placement.

2. I feel even though this is 400 page it could have been longer and more stuff could have been put into it. I remember WODs present on the site that aren'
Sandy Abel
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am fascinated with the mechanics of the human body. This book was awesome! I wish I discovered this earlier in my life but I'm not dead yet! You are never to old to learn. Also, it is so important to keep moving as we get older to keep our joints lubricated, muscles and bones, strong. It is a good preventive maintenance book plus you learn great form and function.
Jessenia Kahn
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love to work out with my main areas being Crossfit, Olympic Weightlifting, and general weightlifting in the gym. My coach recommended this book very early on into my Crossfit journey. I thank the heavens for Kelly Starlett, his books and his website MobilityWOD. There are so many people that come into the box dealing with previous injuries, mobility issues, or are currently dealing with injuries. I've spent a lot of time observing individuals and one big difference is the amount of time people ...more
Kristopher Muir
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Today I finished reading “Becoming a Supple Leopard” and I put it #3 on my list of books read in 2016. Kelly Starrett has taken something so simple and ubiquitous--movement--and given us a theoretical framework and practical prescriptions for how to improve how we move on a daily basis at home, at work, in the gym, and in athletic competition.

There are some daily reminders that we can all implement, like how to properly brace yourself and create torque before sitting or picking up any object, wh
Sarah Clement
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-purchase
This is less a book to read from cover to cover, and more a coffee table (or gym, more accurately) resource. I learned a lot from this book in terms of both movement and mobility, and I will return to this as a resource time and gain. I think the beginning chapters are certainly worth reading, however, and I tried to cheat the system by skipping right to the mobility bits and found myself returning to read them. I understand that the format of this new edition is much improved since the previous ...more
xDEAD ENDx
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The mobility work is useful stuff, but I'm left feeling a little bit limited since I don't have a lot of the equipment here at home (boxes, a stable pole to tie bands onto, barbells, etc.)...

The other half of the book is just silly. There's minimal references to works that would justify what is being said, and there seems to be a lot of contradictions. For instance, one of the trainers Starrett claims to be indebted to specifically says to turn the feet out at about 30 degrees when squatting --
Greg
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Kelly Starrett and so I was excited when I first learned about this book. I pre-ordered it as soon as I could. I was expecting to see his helpful Mobility WODs in book form, with lots of illustrations and descriptions.

The book does have a lot of great photos and explanations, but a lot of it deals with the various Crossfit movements, like lifting and even rowing and wall ball. That's helpful stuff indeed, but I'm fortunate to have great coaches at my gym to teach me that already, and ther
Thomas
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-men, read-in-2013
Fundamentally, this book is an organization and systemization of the material that Kelly Starrett has posted on MobilityWOD.com. It covers his axioms of human movement, applies those axioms to teaching correct form on fundamental strength exercises, and provides a set of techniques to address mobility issues preventing you from moving correctly. There's a lot more here than just a bunch of 'stretching exercises'- it's really treating the human body as a complete system and provides a manual for ...more
Piotr
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crossfit
By the first look at the book, this is truly amazing. Loads of images, hints and explanations how to do the various exercises right. It also contains a load of information how to fix common problems like immobilities.

If you are into CrossFit this is the ultimate guide. If you want to become a better athlete, this will help you in many ways.

I am seriously blown away by the book! After reading and viewing http://www.mobilitywod.com/ my expectations were pretty high, I was not disappointed!
Julie
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last section of this book is my favorite. It has a diagram of the body that is color coded by regions. For each region there is a corresponding set of exercises to relieve pain in this part of your body. It is incredibly useful and worth every penny of the book. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rest of the book is also a useful reference that includes a theory of exercise and lots of exercises that you can do at home.
Thai Son
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: training
Good writing, but not really as universal as it projects itself to be. I got hooked thanks to the anecdotes, but I'd rather do some yoga instead of what's presented here. I already saw a lot of opinions against this text, most notably from Quinn Henoch of Juggernaut, and I stand by his critique.
Regardless I learned some new stuff.
Angelina
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Takes a while to get through this book but it has a vast amount of knowledge that I now use each time I am at the gym weight its just doing some deadlifts or I am doing some recovery.

Every athletic should have this book.
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Coaches, Athletes
Recommended to Jeremy by: Kelly Starrett
Supple Leopard is basically the course notes to Kelly Starrett's Mobility and Movement seminar.
LeeDonna Sunshine
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett with Glen Cordoza isn’t a book you read, it’s an education you work through. From stabilizing and organizing your spine, to creating torque and setting your body up in such a way as to not lose said torque through inefficient movement patterns, to using your braced spine and torqued position through myriads of movements that not only relate to lifting heavy in a gym, but to everyday functional movement patterns. The book even addresses the issue of ...more
Dr. Sara Jean Barrett
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Starrett is a physiotherapist who has put together a fantastic reference book. Don't be put off thinking this book is only for elite athletes. Even if you are just starting out, learning how to move your body properly is critical. This is absolutely not a book that will inspire you to get off the couch but if you are ready to exercise or are already exercising this reference book is valuable to help you learn proper form, prevent injury and maximize your exercises. This book is especially valuab ...more
Hunter Leavine
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Contender for best book purchase for me in 2018! I have recently got back into serious lifting after rehabbing a pretty bad herniation in my L5 L6. This book is INCREDIBLE, and I have it out on a table in my home gym and use exercises from it daily. First half of the book is focused on posture, organizing your spine, and proper mobility for lifts (and life). Second half is exercises and mobility. Great book for someone serious about taking care of there body.
Jeff Morello
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly detailed book that demonstrates how incorrect movement patterns ruin performance and destroy the body before going to show ways in which the reader can prevent injury through specific exercises
Michael Scibetta
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all need to move better, this book will get you started.
Audrey
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
For what it is, this book should have references to support what he's recommending patients. Still, I appreciate that he takes injury prevention so seriously for those doing CrossFit.
Christopher Frost
Great informative book. Use this resource all the time
Annette
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely essential book for anyone who is or trains like an athlete!
Morgan
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on injury prevention and body mechanics I've read, wish I read it years ago when I first heard of it. Check out MobilityWOD.com for more.
Alex
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for exactly what the title says. A good guide to correcting physical imbalances we can easily develop over the years of living in a modern world.
Fast Weight Loss Tips Testorush RX 1 2 Jul 09, 2015 09:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: 'Untitled' by 'Anonymous'? 2 23 Jun 17, 2015 09:38AM
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide For Athletes & Coaches
  • Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training
  • Practical Programming for Strength Training
  • Free+Style: Maximize Sport and Life Performance with Four Basic Movements
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • Whole Body Barefoot Transitioning Well to Minimal Footwear
  • Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
  • Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • Building The Gymnastic Body: The Science of Gymnastics Strength Training
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training - 2nd Edition
  • Advances in Functional Training: Training Techniques for Coaches, Personal Trainers and Athletes
  • Never Gymless
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
“You hate to cultivate the mindset that anything that is not a braced neutral spinal position is probably going to kill you.” 1 likes