Start by marking “Wild Berries” as Want to Read:
Wild Berries

Wild Berries

Tch, tch, sh, sh, tup, tup.

Spend the day picking wild blueberries with Clarence and his grandmother. Meet ant, spider, and fox in a beautiful woodland landscape, the ancestral home of author and illustrator Julie Flett. This book is written in both English and Cree, in particular the n-dialect, also known as Swampy Cree from the Cumberland House area. Wild Berries is also
Published October 8th 2013 by Simply Read Books (first published April 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Berries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Berries

Start your review of Wild Berries
Manybooks
Now what makes Julie Flett's Wild Berries so perfect for and to me? Is it that she, that the author tells such a wonderful and yes also really deceptively simple little story of a young Cree boy and his grandmother going out for a joyful romp in the woods to pick, to harvest wild blueberries (as well as all of the fauna they encounter and see while gathering their berries, from ants to foxes and that Clarence actually leaves some of the blueberries he has collected as gift to the animals of the ...more
Agnė
Wild Berries is a simple and lovely picturebook by a Cree-Métis author/illustrator, which celebrates nature, the tradition of picking wild blueberries, and the n-dialect Cree language, also known as Swampy Cree from the Cumberland House area. The words in the n-dialect Cree are sprinkled and translated throughout the English text, and the back matter includes a pronunciation guide, glossary, and a recipe for the wild blueberry jam.

Julie Flett's paper collage and paint illustrations are
Lydia
One of my favourite of Flett's work.

This book is quiet, beautiful and so full of spirit. I love little details Flett includes in her illustrations like a purple-mouthed child eating berries, the way the grass looks on the page. I love how muted her colour palette seems but still delivers such a punch.

This is so poetic and so readable. So easy, and a total treasure.

Hope to include a video on this book on my channel soon. <3
Cheryl
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love Flett's work. I read this for the illustrations... but there's so much more to love. The text is graceful & poetic. There's a great attention to detail, for example the different kinds of blueberries grandma and Clarence favor. There's a glossary & pronunciation guide, an author's note on language, and a recipe for blueberry jam.

A treasure for any classroom or family.
Elizabeth Willis
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quiet, vibrant, beautiful.
Beth
Beautiful and highly evocative cut-paper art illustrates a simple yet appealing story about a contemporary Cree boy and his grandmother going berry picking and observing the plants and creatures around them. Good themes of harmony with nature, with words from the "Swampy Cree" dialect worked into the text in a lovely typeface.

Great for lapsitters and small-group storytimes, and a wonderful portrayal of modern Cree people carrying on some traditions while living in the modern world of sneakers
Ann
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This minimalist picture book is simple and lovely. It is also one of the only bilingual titles I can think of that features an American Indian language (Cree).
Amy Rae
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous illustrations and simple story accompanied by a lot of great language information in the back. I thought this was a really lovely little book.
The Book Girl
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Wild Berries is a sweet and charming little story about a boy and his grandmother who have gone out to collect blueberries. In this story we see them to enjoy the nature, each others company, and of course the yummy fruit. We learn that little Clarence likes the large sour ones, and the grandma likes the soft sweet ones.

Julie Flett's illustrations are breathtaking, they have a modern look to them. They are simple but not boring. There was plenty for little one to look at. My nanny kid loved the
Elizabeth
I have been really loving Julie Flett's picture books, and Wild Berries is no exception (if anything, this is the rule).

Wild Berries tells the story of Clarence and his grandmother as they go out picking wild berries (specifically blueberries) together. Each page of the story uses a word in Cree (alongside the English word), and the back provides helpful information about pronunciation. The back also has a tasty looking blueberry jam recipe that I am going to have to save to try out. Flett's
Kathleen
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely images here. A young boy and his grandmother go berry-picking in the woods. I don't know much about First Nations or Aboriginal languages, but I appreciate learning about other cultures through language. The author, who is of Cree-Métis descent, spent a lot of time researching the right Cree dialect for this story. Well done.
Danielle
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A boy and his grandmother pick blueberries. This book is filled with small, endearing details as well as bilingual vocabulary from the cree language (Algonquian). My favorite part is that the pair say thank you when they leave the clearing.

Beautiful art and both a pronunciation guide and a recipe for wild blueberry jam at the back.
Alyssa Gudenburr
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about spending time with grandma in nature and all the things they see. There are several Cree words throughout the text that introduces plants and animals to children. The story is written by a First Nation author and includes pronunciation guide for the Cree words and a wild berry recipe at the end of the book.
Kris
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Simple and quiet picture book with lovely detail. It points out the little things that a grandmother and her grandson notice while out on a walk to pick blueberries. Great detail in few words. Seamlessly includes Cree words.
Beverly
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pbf-food-drink
Simple, short story with stylized illustrations.
KC
A Cree grandmother and granddaughter go pick berries. Love JULIE FLETT illustrations.
Miss Sarah
A young boy and his grandmother venture into the wooded fields to pick berries. Readers are introduced to simple cree words along the way toddler and up
Tasha
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Clarence has gone berry picking with his grandmother since he was a baby. Now he is big enough to carry his own bucket as they walk and sing. The two of them pick the berries, Grandma looking for the sweet ones and Clarence for the bigger, sour ones that pop. They pick the berries and eat the berries. Then Clarence looks around the woods and sees different insects, spiders, and a fox. It is time to go home, they say thank you and walk back home together.

This book weaves Cree into the story,
Tori Bang
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
In this multicultural picture book, the main character, Clarence, went blueberry-picking with his grandma. This a tradition of Native American people. Because he was such a small child, he couldn't handle the trek and she had to carry him on her back. Now that he is bigger he is able to carry his own bucket for the berries. As he picks them, he can't help but eat them and they make his lips turn purple. He looks around at his surroundings as he goes and watches creatures all around him like an ...more
Melanie
I will always purchase books about American Indians actually written and illustrated BY American Indians. This is a brand new one that I am very excited about.

Clarence grew up riding on his grandmothers back while she picked blueberries in the fields. Now he is grown enough to have his own bucket to fill. His grandmother watches for bears as they walk into the blueberry fields. As they pick the berries they encounter deer (or elk), foxes and enjoy observing the spiders and birds.

I love that this
Melissa Mcavoy
This is a simple story about a Cree grandmother and her grandson going to the woods to pick wild blueberries. Cree words are included in the text. The book is graphically strong and quite beautiful with stylized illustrations that spotlight both the close relationship between the characters and their appreciation of the natural world.

Back matter includes a pronunciation guide, a glossary, a recipe for blueberry jam and acknowledgements. The author illustrator is Cree-Metis and has received the
Tiff
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wild Berries is a very sweet and delightful book about picking berries. Clarence goes berry-picking with his/her Grandma. The picture with the blue color on Clarence's lips after eating some blueberries is very impressionable. The theme of book is really the simple act of picking berries and enjoying a good time with family. The book is playful with introducing the Cree words in a red italics font. The story puts a nice play on words and sounds, like "tch, tch. It tickles." Very nice visual and ...more
Robin
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A little boy (beginning as a baby on his grandma's back) picks blueberries with his grandma. Several animals of the forest make an appearance (spiders, fox, deer, birds).

The book has words in Cree (the n-dialect; there are several dialects of Cree, an Algonquin language) from the Cumberland House area, with a pronunciation guide in the back.

Illustrations by Julie Flett are very striking -- would like to know more about how they are done.
Translation by Earl N. Cook. Wild berries/pikaci-minisa
Rachel
A simple book featuring the Cree "n" dialect language.

As Clarence grows older, he continues to enjoy the company of his grandma, encountering many aspects of nature within the woods. It is a peaceful existence where they harvest the berries that grow there. While the written words have no plot, they are meant to exude this atmosphere, as well as teach a few words from the language.

The pictures are another thing entirely. They have a cut-and-paste paper feel made in mostly earth tones. It is
Erin
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and an endearing story of a grandmother and grandson picking berries together. The book is told in English and includes words from the Cree language. I was totally unfamiliar with Cree language and this book taught me that it is considered an aboriginal language with many dialects from Canada. Even though I am sure I am pronouncing the words wrong in my head, the sounds they made seemed to connect the story more to nature.

"When Clarence was little, his grandma carried
Janet
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A quiet beauty is this story of a Grandmother and grandson picking wild blueberries in the forest. The illustrations convey the low light and quiet found in a forest and a bi orange red sun is always just beyond the forest. A number of books have been published inserting Spanish vocabulary into the sentence, but this one inserts Cree from the Algonquian language, in fact it is the "n" dialect or Swampy Cree that is used. A very interesting picture book.
Holly Thompson
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is SO beautiful. It is about a boy and his grandmother picking blueberries in the native land in northern Canada. It is written in English, but has words in the Cree language mixed throughout. The story is simple, but the illustrations are beautiful. I think I would like to read this to my daughter so I can look at the pictures over and over again. I bet I will find something new in them each time I read.
Cheriee Weichel
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh so beautiful. These images are stunning. I love use of red midst the otherwise neutral background. It's a simple tale of a young boy going wild blueberry picking with his grandma. The integration of Cree words in the text makes the experience feel magical; a connection to another time and place. The whole book reminded me of my own experiences as a child, heading off with my family into the wild to pick berries. Like Grandma, we also made sure to "check for bears maskwak."
Kate
Becky
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
A quiet story of a boy and grandmother going out to pick wild blueberries. One word on each two page spread is translated into Swampy Cree "n" dialect (there is an explanation and pronunciation guide in the back).

Besides picking berries, the boy observes the natural world around him.

Back matter also includes directions to make wild blueberry jam.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A House That Once Was
  • The Day You Begin
  • #Notyourprincess: Voices of Native American Women
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
Julie Flett is a Cree-Metis author, illustrator, and artist. She has received many awards including the 2017 Governor General's Award for Children's Literature for her work on When We Were Alone by David Robertson (High Water Press), the 2016 American Indian Library Association Award for Best Picture Book for Little You by Richard Van Camp (Orca Books), and she is the three-time recipient of the ...more