Start by marking “Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late!

Don't Let The Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  30,457 Ratings  ·  876 Reviews
It's getting late and the bus driver is going to brush his teeth and get ready for bed. Will you do him a favour while he is gone? Don't let the pigeon stay up late. But this pigeon isn't even tired.
Published 2007 by Walker (first published April 1st 2006)

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This hilarious pigeon always finds a way to pester the elder ones!

Seriously, don't let the pigeon stay up late! It will create a ruckus as soon as you turn your head.
Sophia Triad
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
All time favourite in our house!

The pigeon needs to go to bed.

I'm not even tired!

He prefers to party, to watch TV, to talk about your day, count the stars etc.

And his is not yawing.

I was stretching.

Favourite quote: It's the middle of the day in China!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

After the pajama-clad Bus Driver asks the reader to make sure pigeon doesn't stay up late, he comes in and starts trying to persuade the readers to let him stay up late. "I hear there's a good show about birds on TV tonight. Should be very educational" and "Y'know, we never get to talk anymore. Tell me about your day-" Until FINALLY he falls asleep, clutching his stuffed bunny.

Do you know a child like this... who has droopy eyes an
Lesley
begs to stay up and has all the excuses!
Hahah! The pigeon is absolutely hilarous, my favorite part is when the pigeon is stalling and all of a sudden says, "tell me about your day..." nice try pigeon.
Melki
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pigeon doesn't want to go to bed and he uses every excuse in the book. I've heard many of these before, and if you're a parent, I'm sure you have, too. Pretty cute story!
Kate
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pigeon wants to stay up late, but for all his shenanigans trying to devise ways to be allowed to stay up late, he actually ends up tiring himself out in the end
the (book) supplier
Apparently I bought this one for my neice and didn't remember doing it. But that's okay, because I got story time last night. :-D
Ronyell
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Mo Willems!!!
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!. These are all the books I had read so far from Mo Willems’ popular “Pigeon” series! Recently, I had read another book from Mo Willems’ fantastic “Pigeon” series and it is called “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” With witty dialogue and cute illustrations, “Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay up Late!” is a fantastic read for children who are fans of the “Pigeon” series!

When the Bus Driver tells the readers
Alba
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great bedtime book. You can replace your child's name into the story and make them laugh if you have a rascal child who makes excuses for going to bed.
Steve Holden
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in this silly series that I've owned and shared repeatedly with my classes. This one has the same premise - and it's silly - but this one connects with students the best. Every child can connect with not wanting it to be bedtime. It's fun sharing a book like this, and then leading a discussion with a classroom of young students about what they've done similarly when told it's bedtime! I read this and all the others I've owned in the series a lot when I taught first grade, but in second ...more
Slytano
Read this a few times and re-read it today. This is a good series, but the real jewel is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. After you've read that the rest are just ho-hum.

I like reading this to kids because they love to shout the wrong answer...May I stay up late? YES!!! They all scream! Then their mothers and preschool teachers get upset.

Don't hassle your kids for participating in a story! I say, LET THEM EAT CAKE.

Sarah Sammis
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2006
Sean's last Hanukkah gift was two books by Mo Willems: The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Parents will find this story of the pigeon who doesn't want to go to bed very funny. I think I've heard every excuse that the pigeon uses from Sean. As with the other pigeon books the narrator warns the reader about the pigeon and his need to go to bed. After he leaves, the pigeon speaks to the reader, trying to stay up as late as possible.
Bennett
So cute I just want to wad it up and then stick it down my throat, and if I choked I wouldn't care because it's SO CUTE!!!
Liz Janet
Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book to a bunch of four year olds, repeatedly, for half a year, it is a surprise I still have my sanity. My heart is given out to my coworkers who still have to read this.
Brenda
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, okay
Last book of the series. The duckling is the real hero haha.
Megan Hevener
Using this as a model text, I will read this to my students and ask them to listen to the voice that arises within this book.
First read: students will just be listening to the voice in the book
Second read: students will be grouped into small group. They will be picking out how the author used voice in the text. What kind of language helps with that voice.
The groups will share with the class.
Writing activity: Students will draw from a hat a writing topic such as getting ice cream, playing out
Briony Donald
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books, ryan
I'm pretty sure that this book was written about Ryan 😁
Malia Gaddis
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This book tells a silly story of a young pigeon that tries many things to try to stay up at night. He will obviously try anything when he's told it's time for bed.

Evaluation: This book is a funny, short story with many cute illustrations.The book contains many opportunities for the students to interact during the reading. "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!" relates to the life of a young child and their love for the word "no".

Teaching: This book could be used in lower grades during a
David
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, picturebooks
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! (Pigeon #2) by Mo Willems is a humorous look at anyone who begs to stay up late, even when it's obviously bedtime.

The story begins with the pajama-clad bus driver imploring readers not to let his feathered friend stay up late. Pigeon proceeds to cajole, manipulate, persuade and beg to stay up late. Pigeon makes up lots of excuses and has silly ideas. As he does, however, yawns keep escaping from him, until finally Pigeon dozes off, clutching his stuffed bunny.
Julia
One of the better Pigeon books in my opinion, "Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!" allows readers of all ages to relate whether since of past attempts to stay up and/or being the adult in trying to set a correct timeframe for those rebellious sleepyheads. None of the excuses or methods are new but with the Pigeon attempting each one they get a new spin in life.

The only thing that slightly bothered me was the fact that the bus driver appeared in the pages and was the one who put the reader(s) i
Tatiana
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
For anyone who's ever had to wrestle (metaphorically) a toddler or preschooler into bed, Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! will ring alarmingly true. In the pigeon character, Mo Willems captures the voice, mannerisms, and bargaining tactics of children that age when bedtime means not going to sleep but missing out on everything else.

The illustrations remain an integral ingredient to the storytelling, blocky and expressive like a comic book, with the narrative contained to dialogue bubbles. Thi
Jordan
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty much me as a kid. I never wanted to go to bed and my parents set a bedtime for me that was, in my humble child opinion, tyrannical. Actually, this is still me. Except now I don't have an imposed bedtime. I have an "I have to get up and work and/or do school stuff" bedtime. And I know I should go to bed, but I don't. Just like the pigeon, I think of every reason not to go to bed. In that aspect, I doubt I will ever grow up.

Also, I love the pictures!
Mitchell
Surprisingly cute. Basically a go-to-bed story. The Pigeon wants to stay up and tries all sorts of things but then can't stay awake. The writing is spot on. The art is pretty good and evocative given the simplicity of the basic pigeon drawing. Definitely didn't want to like this one. But darn it's good.
Heidi
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Heidi by: Leonardo the Terrible of course!
Shelves: childrens-books
We LOVED this book! Maybe because it totally reminds us of a 4 year old we know! So perfect for bedtime! We often refer to the pigeon now when a certain girl's bedtime routine is getting more and more dragged out! She just laughs, but it helped her to have a better understanding of what she is actually doing (delaying having to go to bed)! Plus, it is just hilarious!
midnightfaerie
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is another one of those wonderful Mo Willems that seemingly talks to the reader and puts them in charge of taking care of an insolent pigeon. With cute illustrations and a task of putting a bird to bed who doesn't want to go, it's a story any child can relate to. Adorable and engaging for all ages, my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds both loved it. A great addition to any children's library.
RitaSkeeter
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, children
The pigeon has a thousand reasons why he shouldn't go to bed; from the classic 'I need a drink of water' to the more inventive 'we never talk any more'. This was another fun adventure from the pigeon, but not one of my favourites.

My rating: 4/5
Master 6's rating: 5/5
Master 3's rating:5/5
Vivian
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When I share this with a group of children we rehearse together what we are going to say when the pigeon tries to get us to let him stay up late. "NO!"

The children absolutely LOVE saying "NO!" And all the excuses are very familiar to them.
Alicia Samson
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really cute book. I thought it was funny how out of all the things he could do, he wanted to have a hot dog party. I would definitely read this book and the other pigeon books to my nieces. I would recommend this book to small children, but adults would enjoy reading it too.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007, humor
Our girls love this story! Great for bedtime. We have read it over and over and they never get tired of it. And best of all, neither do I! As the girls grow older they enjoy answering the pigeon with a resounding "NO!" while I do all the pleading and begging.
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Little Hoot
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • Not a Box
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems

Pigeon (8 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
“First of all, I'm not even tired.” 2 likes