Start by marking “His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Wicked Family Secrets, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Wicked Family Secrets, #1)

His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,132 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
For three years, Lady Veronica Smithson has been perfectly happy as a widow—and thoroughly independent. Still, the right gentleman could provide the benefits of marriage without the tedious restrictions. And in Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, renowned explorer and rogue, Veronica is sure she has found him.

Sebastian will come into his inheritance in a matter of weeks—if his
Mass Market Paperback, 330 pages
Published September 25th 2012 by Zebra (first published September 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about His Mistress by Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Mistress by Christmas

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

He wants a wife – she wants a lover. Can spending time together during the Christmas holidays help them reach a compromise? He hopes not because he’d rather she give him more than her body; he wants her heart and soul - after all, she’s stolen his!

Such a fun historical romance! No angst, no contrived drama… just a feel good, delightful holiday tale!

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

Looking for angst? Looking for brooding characters who have a hard time letting themselves be happy? Looking for a shy heroine who hasn’t enjoyed sex to date and needs to be shown the power of the mighty orgasm? If you answered yes to any of those, it’s probably best to keep on walking, because this book is completely unlike any of those things. It is light and happy and is filled with farcical situations that had me laughing out loud. I know that whenever I pick up an Alexander there
Laura the Highland Hussy
This was a fun, quick read that had me smiling throughout the whole book.

Veronica is happy as a widow, but one who misses having a man in her bed. So she decides to take a lover. She doesn’t want a husband, though, as she enjoys her freedom and control over her own life. As she attends a lecture of her dear friend’s cousin, she sees the man she wants. He is brilliant, attractive, and has the reputation of being quite the rake. He's perfect for her.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater can’t take his ey
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"Do try not to be shocked. I want a man, darling, not a husband. I've had a husband, and while I have no regrets on that score, I have no desire to have another. I want adventure, not routine. I prefer not to do what's expected of me."

Victoria Alexander is rapidly rising to be one of my favorite romance authors. Not only does she know how to spin a delightfully wonderful story, but she does it with grace and humor and intelligence. A wonderful combination!

This was a fantastic book, especially fo
☕ Kimberly
Nov 19, 2012 ☕ Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Author Victoria Alexander delighted me with this tale, its colorful characters, humor and twists. I quickly consumed this and closed the book with a smile. This is the perfect Regency romance to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The tale begins when we meet the widowed Lady Veronica Smithson. She and her friend Portia are watching a speech presented by the dashingly handsome Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater. He is a renowned explorer, published writer and a reported rogue. While Veronica is
Lisa Kay
Victorian Christmas II, by Thomas Kincaid
Photobucket

★★★★ Yes, yes! I know Christmas is over with; nonetheless, I put this audiobook on request at the public library and didn’t receive it until after the holiday. So, I stayed up on New Year’s working on all my lovely new 2012 challenges and – lo and behold – I’m delighted to say I’ve found a charming new author! I’m pretty sure I tried one of her books before and it didn’t grab me, but Susan Duerden narrated this one to near perfection.

There is nothing new
Susan
Jun 03, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
What a fun book. Both Veronica and Sebastian find themselves at crossroads in their lives. They meet at the intersection and decide that they'd like to continue together. The problem is that they are looking down different roads. Both of them are accustomed to getting what they want and seeing them each try to convince the other makes for a really fun time.

Veronica has been a widow for three years. She had loved her husband and they had a good life together, but she's ready to move on. She's got
BJ Rose
Jan 09, 2012 BJ Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wavered between 3*/4* for a while, but finally decided that the premise of the love story moved it up for me - I love it when the guy knows he's in love & wants marriage, but has to convince the reluctant gal that it's really more than just lust for his beautiful body! And it includes a country house party, which I always like.
Susan

Sharyn
Jul 29, 2015 Sharyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I am still trying to get through the "A's" on my bookshelf. I had actually read this before, but it was so much fun I read it again!!Veronica and Sebastien banter so wonderfully, I just smiled throughout. I can't wait to read more of his family, but right now I am on a search for Portia's book, which none of my libraries have!! And I have to fill in all her other series' that I only have partially filled on my bookshelf. It is already almost August and I will not fulfill my summer wish of red ...more
Angela
Mar 17, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, because at times the clever dialogue made me smile. I didn't laugh out loud, but definitely appreciated how witty some of the characters were.

There were a few things that made this book tedious, but my two biggest beefs with the story are:

A) The characters were head over heels in love with each other by their third encounter. It was a little too sappy for my tastes.

And

B) There were quite a few public make-out scenes (and by public, I mean in front of both of their rather large famili
Tarra
Nov 25, 2012 Tarra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Very endearing and sweet romance. No big villains or complications, just a lovely, funny story about finding the greatest adventure of your life when you find someone you can truly love and trust.

I just noticed that this book is subtitled "Sinful Family Secrets." That is very misleading to me. Makes this book sound like there is something dark and sinister going on. Not the case. (Most people would probably not even consider the "secret" in the story to be that "sinful.") So if you're looking f
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By~Desere
Review Copy Provided By~Publisher

From one of the most brilliant historical authors of our time comes the tale of Lady Victoria and Sebastian, two people who each want and crave a little certain something in life and both will not stop to get it.

Lady Veronica wants to taste the forbidden passion she craves and still be seen as a true lady. However she does not bet on her target for passion being so forceful in getting what he wants. Sebastian does not back down.

The fun really st
Jessi
The second of three widowed friends finds her match in this book. Lady Veronica Smithsonhas been widowed for three years and she's decided that is long enough to wait for grand adventure; she's ready to take a lover. When her friend Poppy's cousin returns from gallivanting all over the globe, Veronica decides that he is the perfect man to take as her lover.
Hugh has a different idea however. He finds Veronica delectable but he's ready for respectability and marriage. Also, he has to prove to his
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
1.5-2 stars.

I wasn't that impressed with this book. This is the second Victoria Alexander book I've read or tried to read because I didn't finish the first one I tried.

In this novel I liked the idea of Veronica wanting to be Sebastian's mistress and Sebastian wanting her to be his wife but the execution was lacking. The main characters didn't seem to have much or any sexual chemistry, even their disagreements didn't spark, they were just dull. I was bored for most of this book and the main reas
Virginia
Sep 03, 2012 Virginia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying Alexander's later historical romances! I find that compared to her earlier works, her writing has matured. Her humor, story lines, and characters have become far more developed, realistic, and fun. This story is no exception. Quite a farce, the two main characters are mature, with none of the histrionics I find endemic in romances, and the subplots and intrigues of various characters are vastly amusing.
Donna
Nov 28, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a fun seasonal read, with a cast of wonderful characters, and minimal heartache. I'm a softie, and I dislike when the h/h are at odds for most of the book. Here, obstacles must be overcome, but never so much that they are estranged or fighting.

Looking forward to the others in this series!
Alice
Casey's Challenge 2017 - #40 Set at Christmas

3.5 stars - fun read
Lynne Tull
Mar 21, 2017 Lynne Tull rated it it was ok
Too much back and forth with individual introspection. Then, when they got together and were still in their own head hashing everything over again. There was also a lot of filler educating me on the Victorian Christmas traditions. Not my favorite of this series. Of course, this is only the second one I have read.
Johanna
Mar 29, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His Mistress by Christmas
by Victoria Alexander

Genre: Historical Romance | Seasonal

For three years, Lady Veronica Smithson has been perfectly happy as a widow—and thoroughly independent. Still, the right gentleman could provide the benefits of marriage without the restrictions. And in Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, renowned explorer and rogue, Veronica is sure she has found him.

Sebastian will come into his inheritance in a matter of weeks-if his family deems him responsible enough. There’s no bet
Mason
Oct 04, 2011 Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listening to HIS MISTRESS BY CHRISTMAS, I was caught in somewhat of a dilemma. I eagerly anticipated the next disc to have the story continue, but also dreaded it as it would bring me closer to the end.

This is a wonderful and charming story to get lost in. With brilliant descriptions and eloquent dialect, author Victoria Alexander transforms the reader (or listener) to 1885 England. With all the sights and sounds of the era, the reader can’t help but be immersed in the story.

Narration by Susan D
SidneyKay
Deanne
When I was browsing at Victoria Alexander's website I came across the book trailer for His Christmas by Christmas , and after watching the short book teaser I was intrigued to read the book especially since I enjoy reading Christmas themed historical romance novels

So when I saw the book in the bookshelves from my local library , I had no second thoughts grabbing the novels since I love reading Ms. Alexander's novels , I read the book summary and it just made all the more curious on the story I
Crystalablackhotmail.com
Chose this one after reading What Happens at Christmas and enjoyed it equally as much.
Pam
Nov 27, 2011 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Veronica Smithson has decided that she wants to be a mistress, and never a wife. She had been married, happily too, but since she was widowed a few years back and got a taste of true independence she refuses to let a man control anything about her life again. She sets her eyes on Sebastian Hadley-Attwater, her friend’s cousin, at a lecture he was speaking at and decides that she wants to be his mistress. Sebastian is an author and a world traveler. It is rumored that he has been with many women ...more
Lucy Dosch
Dec 24, 2011 Lucy Dosch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Smithson lost her beloved husband after years of blissful marriage. It has been three years now and Veronica is ready to move on. Since title and fortune are already hers, she does not wish to be saddled with a husband. Lady Smithton simply wants a lover.

Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater has returned home after years of travel to exotic locations. He has purchased an estate and is now ready to settle down and write his memoirs. That is until he meets Lady Smithson and his thoughts turn to havi
Olivia Jayne Eldridge
When I think of the characters created by author, Victoria Alexander, two words come to mind - fun and witty. I highly recommend that readers looking for a diversion from the all too familiar hustle and bustle of the holiday season treat themselves to this exuberant narrative. In "His Mistress by Christmas,” Ms. Alexander penned an enchanting love story chock full of humorous plot twists with delightful surprises.

Lady Veronica Smithson has wealth and all the freedoms that money can buy. She als
Melanie Adkins
Nov 11, 2011 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lady Veronica Smithson has decided she wants to celebrate this Christmas a little differently. She wants to become Sir Sebastian Hadley- Attwater's mistress. Her best friend is Sir Hadley- Attwater's cousin, Portia, who introduces the two of them, in a way. Once Lady Smithson has seen this rogue and explorer speak, she's determined to convince him to take her as his mistress. She's been married and while that was pleasant enough, she's not ready to give up all the freedom being a widow allows.
Mackenzie
Dec 15, 2012 Mackenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Lady Veronica Smithson sees what she wants, there is very little to change her mind, especially when what she wants is to become explorer/adventurer Sir Sebastian Hadley-Atwater's mistress. A young widow, she wants a little adventure of her own.

Sir Sebastian comes from a large family. Traditions play a huge part and he feels, with his birthday coming up, that it is time for a change. Not only will he be in good standing to receive his father's inheritance, but he is ready to finally settle
April
HIS MISTRESS BY CHRISTMAS by Victoria Alexander is an interesting Christmas historical romance set in 1885 England. It has strong characters that will capture your heart. Lady Veronica Smithson,is a widow of three years,who is independent, and wants to become a mistress. Sir Sebastian Hadley-Attwater,is a reowned explorer and a rogue,who is looking for a wife. Lady Veronica looking to be a mistress and Sir Sebastian looking for a wife,meet and as they say "the rest is history". This is a fast pa ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 10:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: REQUEST TO ADD BOOK 5 28 Jul 20, 2013 01:40PM
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • The Handbook to Handling His Lordship (Scandalous Brides, #4)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • A Regency Christmas Feast
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • The Christmas Knight
  • The Devilish Montague (Rebellious Sons, #2)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • A Tale of Two Lovers (The Writing Girls, #2)
  • The Taming of the Rake (Blackthorn Brothers, #1)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...

Mistress Trio (3 books)
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress Trio, #1)
  • Same Time, Next Christmas (Mistress Trio, #3)

“I say seduce her, seduce her tonight. Break the door down if you have to. Tell her all those things you said to me about her. You will love her more tomorrow than today and how you want to die with her hand in yours–which is an excellent line, by the way, that I fully intend to borrow when the time comes.” 9 likes
“Her heart leapt, which made no sense at all. This was not to be an affair of the heart. There would be affection certainly, but nothing more. Apparently her heart wasn't aware of her plans. Odd, she'd never known it to be rebellious before.” 3 likes