Start by marking “You Are WHY You Eat: Change Your Food Attitude, Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
You Are WHY You Eat: Change Your Food Attitude, Change Your Life

You Are WHY You Eat: Change Your Food Attitude, Change Your Life

An intelligent, timely, and prescriptive book that shows how your attitude towards food often reflects your attitude towards other areas in your life--jobs, relationships, money--and how you can let go of trying to please others all the time and instead satisfy your own true appetites and live a more authentic and healthier life.
Published January 1st 2013 by skirt!

To ask other readers questions about You Are WHY You Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are WHY You Eat

Joanne
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received "You Are WHY You Eat...." written by Dr. Ramani Durvasula as a Goodreads First Reader giveaway winner. I thought if I read the book I could discover why I love food and give me ideas to maintain a healthy weight, but what I didn't expect was how the author was able to apply the same principles that affect our emotions and attitudes surrounding food, to our emotions & attitudes about relationships, careers, dreams and many other areas of life. The book made me think differently abo ...more
Deanna
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I was so excited to get the book and there were things I really liked about the book, and things I took away from it. It was very hard to relate to the term spider sense, and it being repeated over and over on every page I found annoying, but that's just me. I did feel like it was more of the same advice all diet books give. I did find the stories enjoyable.
Remah Jane
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is not just a book, it is also a guide. Too often we set our intuition aside and make decisions based on the interests or input of others. Dr. Durvasula openly shares her process and journey to personal fulfillment through respecting and honoring oneself. This book inspired me to move away from stagnant unpleasantness in my own life and embrace myself with greater compassion and understanding. Weight management is merely a byproduct of practiced mindfulness
Robin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book took me a while to get through because there are exercises throughout the book. Sometimes I wish I had read this as a book instead of an ebook but I did get some good information from it, not just about how to control overeating but how to think before doing things. Like a lot of these books, it does get repetitive. Maybe I need to hear the same thing a few times.
Angelic
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the exception of discs 4 and 5 being practically identical, I think the author offers sound advice for finding yourself and eventually overcoming the things that plague, like hurts, people pleasing, and finding comfort in food. Worth the read.
Adrienna
You are WHY you eat, reminds me of "you are what you eat" motto. There are many things she recommends that I am quite aware of already especially after reading tons of diet-like-lose-weight-type-of-reads like eating unlimited fruits and vegetables. TO be secure within, find peace in the chaos, and follow your instincts. A majority of the writing is helpful but also regurgitated.

Some helpful tips (that you may already heard before):
* Knowing is only half the battle but change is the payoff!
*peop
Joanne
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be good,The author brings you into all areas of your life, your diet, home life, career and future life. Some psychological terms such as "gatekeeping" and "spider senses" are explained and referred to a lot, so you have to fully grasp these to apply them to situations. It is encouraged to keep a journal, which I did not, but I did make photocopies of the questions to answer at a later date in a journal when I am ready to do so.
I looked for her app which is advertised in the
Amy
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
This is an intellectual, thought-provoking, holistic take on diet and life. I appreciated Durvasula's holistic approach in identifying all of the areas of life that could be contributing to weight issues: relationships, stress, job dissatisfaction; instead of just listing these, she devotes whole chapters to addressing life factors.

She uses the term "spider sense" to mean common sense or intuition. I think this comes from the Spiderman comic, but not having read it or seen the movies, I could n
Jaxadoodle
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It took me almost a year to read this book, but it was entirely worth it. The content of Dr. Ramani's text may not be new, but it was written in a manner that I could relate to and that I could learn from. Her writing exercises were a great way to see on paper what I had been holding onto inside of my head and heart. As she says in her epilogue, this isn't just a book to read once, but it's a workbook to use constantly or to keep going back to. I firmly believe in her advice to be authentic and ...more
Ruth
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent book! Instead of setting a menu, lists of foods, etc., Dr. Durvasula hits the problem right where it is: our attitude towards food which originated most likely in our childhood. She doesn't make it easy but what she details about attacking the overeating and how to overcome it is truly what it is all about. Great book!
Angelita
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
This book can be the typical self help book, but it works. It has you thinking about what you really want from life, food, and love. I never really would've thought any of those would be connected. I don't know if I mastered her ideas or ways of thinking, but in the very least it changed my way of thinking and my habits so that's a good start.
C
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, not so much read as "mostly skimmed" but she had some wonderful philosophy in here on life in general, much less eating. I liked it, but I know I won't read it as thoroughly as I should. I'll return it so others can get a chance to read through it.

Rita
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book got better as it went along. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about mindfulness and slowing down. The spider sense aspect I'm already taking with me and applying to different parts of my life. Overall I'd recommend it.
Maureen
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Practical perspective teaches you more than just about your attitude toward food.
Jenny Gary
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is giving me strategies to help with my bad habit of emotional eating. It has given me a tool to use when I grab food to eat in a hurry, even when I'm not hungry.
Kristin R
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book looks at delving into your life and happiness and making changes to change your eating habits, to be healthier as a whole person.
Judith
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was very insightful and thought provoking. I feel I walked away being more mindful and aware of my food choices, daily habits, and mindless eating behavior.
Jeffery
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Read this book if you want to really find out why you eat the way you do. It goes a lot deeper than just food. I can see myself rereading this as I progress in my health journey.
Jeanine
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed. Had alot of great infomation.
Teri  Schams
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Excellent book. Touches on much more than food and eating. It is about living mindfully.
Andrea
Jan 09, 2013
Beth
Dec 04, 2013
Scooter Girl
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2014
Harley Christensen
Feb 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Between!
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
  • The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight, Run Better, and Race Faster
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real about Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Fresh & Fermented: 85 Delicious Ways to Make Fermented Carrots, Kraut, and Kimchi Part of Every Meal
  • The Diet Dropout’s Guide to Natural Weight Loss: Find Your Easiest Path to Naturally Thin
  • The Emotional Eater's Repair Manual: A Practical Mind-Body-Spirit Guide for Putting an End to Overeating and Dieting
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Stratgies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Baked Doughnuts For Everyone: From Sweet to Savory to Everything in Between, 101 Delicious Recipes, All Gluten-Free
  • The Jungle Effect: A Doctor Discovers the Healthiest Diets from Around the World--Why They Work and How to Bring Them Home
  • The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy life. Lose weight.
  • The Everyday Ayurveda Cookbook: A Seasonal Guide to Eating and Living Well--with over 100 Recipes for Simple, Healing Foods
  • Life is Hard, Food Is Easy: The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating and Lose Weight on Any Diet
  • In Her Kitchen: Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World
  • The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
  • 10 Pounds in 10 Days: The Secret Celebrity Program for Losing Weight Fast
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
Dr. Ramani Durvasula (“Dr. Ramani”) is Professor of Psychology at California State University, Los Angeles and a licensed clinical psychologist. She is also co-host and featured therapist on Oxygen’s docuseries “My Shopping Addiction.” Dr. Durvasula completed her undergraduate degree in psychology at the University of Connecticut. She earned her master’s and doctorate in clinical psychology at UCL ...more
“Relationships, like all human experiences, are transient; they change every day and are meant to be enjoyed in the present. When I hear people say you need to "work" at a relationship, what that often really means is just seeing through the day-to-day; listening to another person, listening to yourself, not getting stuck on hurts from the past, and not getting lost in what might come. To be in a relationship with someone you respect, care about and value is a gift, and when you take that in the day-to-day, you honor yourself and your partner each day. Eating is no different in that you can honor yourself at each meal. So much time in relationships is spent hashing the past, and arguing about things that haven't yet happened. A relationship cannot be "hoarded", just like a meal cannot be prolonged by taking home the leftovers.” 7 likes
“When relationships have outlived their shelf life, people often realize that at some level, they are sticking it our because they once thought in the light of their divine love that the other person would change. Sorry for breaking the poetic hope here, but that doesn't happen. People are like rubber bands. They may be able to stretch from time to time and do some amazing things, but in general they are who they are. If manipulation and machinations on your side get them to behave the way you want, I will set my clock on the fact that they will return to their previous way of behaving, or they will keep faking it. To be in a relationship with someone who is not really there doesn't make sense. People who aren't cooperating feel like a project to us, like something for us to rescue or fix. Rescuing is the province of firefighters and fairy tales, but it's not real life. The stance of sticking it out in hopes of redemption is an old story and one that has wasted many lives.” 6 likes