Start by marking “You Saved Me, Too: What A Holocaust Survivor Taught Me About Living, Dying, Fighting, Loving, And Swearing In Yiddish” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews

Aron Lieb approached Sue Resnick at a Jewish Community Center fifteen years ago, and found a companion and soul mate who was steadfastly by his side for the rest of his life. You Saved Me, Too is the incredible story of how two people shared the hidden parts of themselves and created a bond that was complicated, challenging, but ultimately invaluable.

Sue was first attr

Published October 2nd 2012 by Skirt!

To ask other readers questions about You Saved Me, Too, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Saved Me, Too

Diana Petty-stone
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story that will touch you heart now and forever. A chance meeting between a Holocaust Survivor and a young mother leads to a 15 year friendship. They share stories, laughter, sadness and everything life throws at them. She becomes his advocate and he teaches her to swear in Yiddish. I felt like I was with through their journey, it was that real.
Michael Phillips
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mira
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
coming out soon....here is my official endorsement:

YOU SAVED ME, TOO, Too is a soulful story about two unlikely companions—a young mother and an elderly Holocaust survivor—and their complicated, hilarious, and extraordinary friendship. With razor sharp wit and a compassionate eye, Resnick deftly weaves together the personal and the historical in this heartbreaking, yet uplifting memoir. This book reminded me of why we are here—to help ease the suffering of others and to fearlessly love one anoth
Mimi
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dassy
Recommended to Mimi by: Amazon
Loving it! Which is weird to say about a holocaust book! A fun writer! Sue Resnick writes from the heart of her holocaust survivor friend alone in the world! Poignant, special, sad, beautiful! Amazing what Sue did to help and take care of this man. Amazing family! Very moving and emotional story!
Kim Hammond-beyer
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed it. the stream of consciousness approach allowed tough topics to be handled without falling into any one experience. I could see Aron thru her eyes and heart. really amazing look into an interesting complex man and holocaust survivor. her son, when asked what he learned from Aron, said that it's important to flirt and to be kind.
Karen  Fiandaca
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
an interesting memoir about a woman's relationship with a holocaust survivor....worth reading - an interesting format...not totally compelling but as she said she wanted to write about a survivor from a different perspective....
Kela
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
For some reason I had trouble getting into this book at the start. I kept going tho after seeing all of the reviews on Goodreads. I enjoyed the book, but I could have done without the strong language.
Charles Weinblatt
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A tall handsome young Jewish man named Aron Lieb is swallowed up into the Nazi genocide machine of Auschwitz-Birkenau. After suffering untold brutality, starvation, sickness, forced labor and many near-death experiences, Aron and his estranged brother Bill survive the atrocity. Everyone else that he loved and admired had been murdered in Nazi death camps, including his parents and sisters. The terror of this experience produces lasting and devastating emotional consequences. Aron’s shattered psy ...more
Jessica
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I do not rate nonfiction, normally. I do not think I really have a right to tell someone that they did or did not tell their story to my satisfaction. You Saved Me, Too is a beautfuly uniqe book in that it is about true friendship in all its lovely chaos. Many times I found myself rereading passages trying to engrained them in my memory, touched by the honesty and power of the emotion, the struggle to find balance, beauty and truth.
On the surface Ms Resnick portrays the story of Aron, with hon
Susan Emmet
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Susan Resnick's memoir and biographical "sketch" and I miss Zoo and Aron already.
The book is a jigsaw puzzle of sorts and it works. Moving back and forth in time, between Resnick's story and Aron's, the pieces fit.
Aron's journey from the small town of Zychlin, to labor and concentration camps, culminating at Dachau, to his time in a DP facility and his eventual journey to America where he worked a variety of low-paying jobs while receiving checks from Hitler (so-called "reparati
Susan Ritz
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I finished this book a couple of days ago and have been missing Zoo and Aron ever since. The whole time I was reading, I felt like I could hear the two of them talking to each other. Their matching cynicism and humor jumped off the page and Resnick's choice to tell the tale as if she were still talking to her soulmate Aron made me feel as if I'd been part of their relationship from day one to the end. This is the story of the kind of friendship we all long for, one where all our warts and wrinkl ...more
Megwil
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the occupational hazards of being a librarian is that the whole time you're reading a book, you're thinking about who you're going to recommend it to. You Saved Me, Too was a tough one to place. I loved it and I want to give it to just the right people who will appreciated it. Is it for avid Holocaust readers? Is it for Jews? Christians? People who like memoirs? People who have an elderly person in their lives? People who collect swears in foreign languages? Yes. All of those. It's a book ...more
Erika Dreifus
Advance review copy received from the publisher. The blurb I supplied is popping up (excerpted, as far as I've seen) now that the book is out. But here's the full text of what I wrote:

"This book will make you uncomfortable. It's not simply the horror of what Aron Lieb, who died at 91 in 2011, endured during the Holocaust. That story, or some variation of it, you probably know already. But the struggle to ensure that Aron's end-of-life days would be comfortable, dignified, and above all companion
Amy Binkerd
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just finished this book (that I won from Goodreads). I did enjoy the book, but it was hard to read because of the jumping around in time line. This is MY problem just because its hard for me to read and stay focused on non fiction. The jumping around in timeline just made it that much harder for me to focus. Once I began to read it more as a diary, it made it easier. I had a difficult time reading through the flashback portions because it made me emotional, but it was worth it. Overall a really ...more
Clayton Cheever
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a moving, heartfelt story that doesn't get overly sentimental. Aron Lieb ne Libfrajnd graduated from Auschwitz, Dachau, and many other atrocities. He died in Massachusetts at age 91. This is some of his story, told by a friend he made in the last 14 years of his life. No great mysteries are unveiled, this is a tribute book. Very well written, always on the edge of the end, built entirely around memories, this is not another holocaust book, it is a personal glimpse at what it means to be ...more
Arielle
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
As a granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, I was interested to hear another person's story so detailed. As someone who grew up 500 feet from the JCC where all of this book started, I had extra intrigue. I really enjoyed the story and their relationship. I found there were a ton of overlaps in Aron's story compared to my Nana's and it made me think a lot. Some parts were hard to read, as they are in any Holocaust book, but it's important to talk about it, get it written down for generations to c ...more
Susann
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Advance reading copy. Kushner Resnick and her dear friend Aron Lieb have a unique relationship. He's a Holocaust survivor with, of course, a horrible story which he shares with his friend during the course of their friendship. Luckily for us, she is a writer and shares his story and their story with the reader. While his memories are often painful he is a man full of life with an affinity for dancing. Kushner Resnick is witty with a voice you might not expect. I am learning a lot and really enjo ...more
Marie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
This amazing account,often told using "Eye of God"technique, is the gripping life of a young modern Jewish mother whose life becomes entwined with an elderly survivor of Auschwitz and other camps.Nearly all his family were victims of the Holocaust and his second wife is in a mental facility.Her humour and family life is mixed with the depths of his wisdom and personal flaws and easily draws us into an understanding of history that many of us don't easily digest. A must read.
Janet
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, immigrant
The author met Holocaust survivor Aaron one day when she was out with her young son. They started talking and ended up being close friends. The book goes back and forth from current day USA to WWII in concentration camps. The horror of what he experienced and how it affected him throughout his life was told through humor and caring on the part of the author. I could have done with less swearing throughout the book.
Elizabeth Gosse
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a powerful and emotional story about two people who crossed paths in a moment of time resulting in a friendship that would forever change their lives and make an extraordinary story. Holocaust survivor, Aron Lieb, will live on in many people's hearts. Thank you Susan for writing this story.
Kay
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting real story of a Holocaust survivor who makes friends with a young mother and writer. It is the story of their 15 year friendship. I often related to this story because it also talks about the trials of taking care of an adult in the last stage of life. A very good read.
Dindy
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary voice - Kushner Resnick has me laughing and weeping. I recognize many Holocaust survivors I know (have known) in the portrait she has created of Aron. The give and take of their relationship is enviable - we all need someone who gets us and loves us anyway. "You Saved Me, Too" gives one hope that genuinely satisfying relationships are possible.
Terrie Lopez
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Authentic and realistic

Wonderfully written. A memoir of heartfelt realism about Holocaust survivors. I loved that the writer talks about Aron as if he's still with her. A must read.
Cathleen
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very sweet story of true friendship, an inevitable goodbye, the realities of aging and surviving the Holocaust, and what it means to try to get someone all that you believe he deserves. Poignant and snarky.
Kristina
Oct 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
*** I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads ***
** The Giveaway was Listed By Shana **
* I received my copy on Tue, Nov 06 2012 *

THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRST READS AND SHANA!

I will follow with a full review after reading.
Barb Wiseberg
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A small book with a big heart.

Unlike most holocaust books I have read, this one tells the story of a survivor who befriends a young mother at the local JCC - and the unique, rich relationship that develops from this chance encounter.
Becca
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This book gave me a new understanding of what it means for someone to be a Holocaust survivor. Well written, the journal-like point of view gives tremendous insight into both the feelings of Aron and the author.
Carol
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A good read
Mysia
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A heartfelt chronicle of an unexpected, unconventional friendship that truly touched my heart!
Miguel
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resenha-sqf

"Quem salvou quem? «Dei-te uma boa morte, tu proporcionaste-me uma boa vida.»"
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lily Renee, Escape Artist: From Holocaust Survivor to Comic Book Pioneer
  • Our Holocaust
  • A Sunlit Absence: Silence, Awareness, and Contemplation
  • Making Home: Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place
  • Superman Is Jewish?: How Comic Book Superheroes Came to Serve Truth, Justice, and the Jewish-American Way
  • In the Shadow of Memory
  • Invisible Sisters
  • Ambition and Survival: Becoming a Poet
  • Yiddishkeit: Jewish Vernacular and the New Land
  • Kosher Nation: Why More and More of America's Food Answers to a Higher Authority
  • What Is God?
  • A Whole New Life: An Illness and a Healing
  • The Douglas Notebooks
  • Diary of the Fall
I am the author of Goodbye Wifes and Daughters, a creative nonfiction account of a 1943 coal mine disaster in Montana, published by the University of Nebraska Press. I will be touring all over the US all year, starting in Montana in Feb. I live in Massachusetts."
More about Susan Kushner Resnick...