Start by marking “Pushing Upward” as Want to Read:
Pushing Upward

Pushing Upward

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Pushing Upward is a remarkable debut novel that will sweep you along on one woman’s unforgettable spiritual quest.

The year is 1974. While trying to eke out a living as an actress in L.A., 21-year-old Sandra Billings discovers the I Ching, the ancient Chinese oracle; and uses it as her GPS to navigate a torrid love affair, battle with demons of the past, and search for me
Published September 17th 2012 by Hay House Visions

To ask other readers questions about Pushing Upward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushing Upward

Kimberly
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and insightful, Pushing Upward seemed to come into my life as serendipitously as the elderly Emma responded to Sandra’s fateful ad in Andrea Adler’s tale of transformation. Sandra’s entertaining story isn’t just for the young twenty-something looking for direction; it’s for anyone who has let doubt derail their dreams and is open to examining themselves, just as Sandra does on her journey.

The novel is a cautionary story of how we let our past hold us back, how we use excuses to prevent
Nick
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I agree with Carma, not a book I would typically read, but I was pleasantly surprised with how much I identified with this novel.

As a recent college graduate, with no real career path in sight, I was definitely feeling a bit lost in the world. I had no idea how to make my next move, and I seemed stuck in a situation I desperately wanted to get out of. Luckily, and at the perfect time, this wonderful book came into my life.

Sandra Billings, the main character of the novel, finds herself in a simi
Carma Spence
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Not the type of book I usually read, but it is well-written. I think it will appeal to those who like to read non-speculative fiction. The main character is relatable. It's not exactly chick lit, but women of all ages can find something to relate to. For those with a spiritual inclination, you'll find some wonderful tidbits for you here, too. Pushing Upward is almost magic realism, but rooted in reality.
Angie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
Pushing Upward. I didn't like the protagonist and never did warm to her. The story, a spiritual quest, has Sandra, an out-of-work actress using "I Ching" to find her way except her way is series of boring encounters that fail to teach her. The most interesting person is never really explored but rather exploited by Sandra. And then the cost of redemption (for both Sandra and the reader) is too high. I wish I had stopped at the midpoint, when I put it down for 3 days!
Ken Guard
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not just another "chick book". The fictional story of a young woman, her struggles and successes as an aspiring actress. Written in first person the book flows smoothly, it's an easy read and it held my attention. (I'm a guy, straight hetro). The ending begs for a sequel.
Joy Wolff