Start by marking “Anarchy Comics: The Complete Collection” as Want to Read:
Anarchy Comics: The Complete Collection

Anarchy Comics: The Complete Collection

(Anarchy Comics #1-4)

Reviving an iconic comic series originally published from 1978 to 1986, this exclusive collection brings together the legendary four issues of Anarchy Comics, the underground comic that melded anarchist politics with a punk sensibility, producing a riveting mix of satire, revolt, and artistic experimentation. The anthology features previously unpublished work by Jay Kinney ...more
Published November 26th 2012 by PM Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Anarchy Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anarchy Comics

Stewart Tame
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent! I remember picking up a copy of issue #2 of this title at the comics shop back in the day and finding it fascinating reading. Anarchy was one of the comics that bridged the gap between the undergrounds and the indie titles of the '80s. We have underground stalwarts like Gilbert Shelton and Spain Rodriguez, as well as cartoonists who would go on to greater fame in the '80s and '90s like Norman Dog, Gary Panter and Steve Lafler. As with any anthology title, some pieces are stronger than ...more
Benjamin
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: resistance, comics
Mostly really great comic art by some heavies from the underground scene, like Spain Rodriguez and Paul Mavrides. Also some interesting stuff from European artists I hadn't heard of before. If you are dogmatic about anything, you will be infuriated by this collection, or at the very least, terribly offended. If you're here for the comics and not so much the anarchy, then this will be a lot of irreverent fun.
Michael
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one will occupy a place of honor in my comics collection. A totally unique publication, a mix of humor, political analysis, history, more humor, and a few totally weird indefinable things thrown in. Some great art, especially from Jay Kinney, Sharon Rudahl, Clifford Harper, Spain Rodriguez, and a bunch of others. Doesn't take itself too seriously but also allows for moments of seriousness when called for. A historical document from the late 70s and 80s, punk rock, intellectual, satirical, u ...more
Bill Weinberg
Well, actually I read the comic books when I was a young anarchist back in the early '80s... made a big impression on me, definitely informed my hippie-punk hybrid anarchist attitude and aesthetic... Brought back memories to look at them again... Good stuff (mostly). Spain Rodriguez's depictions of the Spanish anarchists and Makhnovists are the most didactic.
David James
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A mixed bag as any collection like this is bound to be, but the best stuff shows what can be done with comics when very smart people produce them. Also, having Jesus be left behind at the Rapture for being Jewish was sheer comedic brilliance.
Joshum Harpy
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved the style and the premise, but not nearly enough substance, as all the stories were 1-3 pages long and didn't really get a chance to develop as much as I'd like. Totally awesome to see the early work from Melinda Gebbie, though.
James
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, fiction, non-fiction
I think I paged through some of these in the distant past. They seem familiar and a bit nostalgic. Arts not the point in these, though some of it's pretty good. Punk Rock! Etc.
Ben
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plano-library
Light on actual clear discussion of concepts but heavy on obsessively dense theory talk and punk stereotypes dressed as Crumb style comix.
Mark