Start by marking “Little Chick and Mommy Cat” as Want to Read:
Little Chick and Mommy Cat

Little Chick and Mommy Cat

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Little Chick loves his mommy—she has lovely soft fur, whiskers that tickle him, and a long, beautiful tail. Little Chick’s mommy is a cat, and he thinks his one-of-a-kind family is amazing and very special. Offering an important lesson about diversity and the many forms of happiness, this story will charm children with its illustrations while tackling the subjects of adopt ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Cuento de Luz

To ask other readers questions about Little Chick and Mommy Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Chick and Mommy Cat

Erin
Feb 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, adoption
This is the story of a baby chicken that’s being raised by a cat. I picked it up because I thought it would give us a way to talk to our son about how everyone in a family doesn’t have to look the same to be family. If it was good, I though I could earmark it for when we bring our second child home as a way to talk to them about how they fit with us.

I don’t want to be one of those people who gets all bent out of shape when you use a term that is not that particular person’s preferred term, or th
Tasha
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Chick has been raised by Mommy Cat since she was still in an egg. When Little Chick was very small, he thought that he was a cat too. He tried to be a cat, but it didn’t work. He couldn’t meow, or lick his paws or flick his tail. His mother explained to him that he was not a cat, but a chick and his real mother was a hen. When the two of them would go out, others would stare at them because they were different. His mother told him that it’s not bad to be different, what is bad is to want ...more
Alex Fairhill
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I don't know if the problems stem from translation from the original Spanish, but this book is not ideal for adopted children - even though that's the intended audience. My son picked it up and read it - I had put it aside after deciding it wasn't suitable - and was confused. He asked me to read it to him, and by the end he was more confused.

The chick/cat family is a clear metaphor for interracial adoption; but there are several issues with the way this is portrayed:
1. The cats in the neighbourh
Jessi
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story was sweet, and the illustrations were cute, but I can't in good conscience recommend the book for adoptive families. I had a few problems with it- the main one being the emphasis on huge differences between being a cat, and being a chick (the chick is adopted by the "mommy cat" in the story, because his biological mom couldn't take care of him, and the cat couldn't have kittens.) One sort of disturbing addition to the story is the fact that the chick has to go to a special school to le ...more
Meredith
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: joshua
I'm giving this book a star because I think the pictures are adorable. I love the colored pencil drawings of the chicks and cats. The story line is terrible. So much "in school, the kids and teacher can't believe that that's my mommy". Not on my list of books to help adoptive kids understand new homes where they don't look the same. Not on my list of books to help my kids understand that everyone is different. I can't recommend this for kids of any age.
The Library Lady
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A cat and a chick stand in for humans in a story of cross race adoption. The kids old enough to get the language will find it babyish and the kids young enough to enjoy the pictures won't get the story. Meh.

P.S. Was putting this into my "Why Did I Buy This?" and was thrilled to discover it was NOT my book, but had come here to fill a reserve and belongs to our central branch. Their money, not mine!
Azahar Dawn
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is a really beautiful piece of sensitivity, a good example of what an open mind and an open heart can do if we transfer it to today's society,which is sometimes so empty of values. Marta Zafrilla who I have the pleasure to have as a work mate is the "real" version of this story, so beautiful in her mind and heart.
Liza Gilbert
Feb 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I couldn't even finish this, which is saying something for a picture book. While this might have been a warm-hearted attempt at a mixed family story, the text falls flat. When repeatedly we are told that someday the chick will grow up and be able to fly, all respect went out the window.

Some aspects of the illustrations are neatly stylized, but there is little interest here.
Christine Mancini
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story for blended or non-traditional families.
Lynn
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story about adoption. I think this is a really cute this story about families and love. I would read this to a child who is dealing with being adopted. the art is nice and cute.
Rachael
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one is great for opening children's minds to non-traditional families. It maintains a sense of warmth with light humor.

Polly
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute book about a chick whose mom is a cat. Would be nice for blended families and children who look very different from one or both parents.
Lupine
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to make of this at first but by the end, I was sold. A sweet little story that highlights family diversity and love. Tender.
Juan
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a fabulous book with an incredible story. I thank the author for thinking these pages so sensitive and have wanted to share with all of us. I look forward to his next work. thanks
Mckinley
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture, cat, bird
I get the point but I don't think the topic was explored and explained well at all.
Jessica