Start by marking “Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012” as Want to Read:
Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Ace your preparation for Microsoft® Certification Exam 70-461 with this 2-in-1 Training Kit from Microsoft Press®. Work at your own pace through a series of lessons and practical exercises, and then assess your skills with practice tests on CD—featuring multiple, customizable testing options.

Maximize your performance on the exam by learning how to:

Create database objects
Wo
Published December 12th 2012 by Microsoft Press (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Training Kit (Exam 70-461), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Kit (Exam 70-461)

Nicholas Emond
This book is okay, but there was so much more details in the book for the exam 70-433 MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-433): Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 - Database Development: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database Development. So, if I can suggest something before you go studying for the 70-461 exam: Read the 70-433 book and then learn the new SQL Server 2012 features in the 70-461 book.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
For a textbook it's very readable, which is always a plus. However, there are a few bits where I found myself thinking, "What's that?" when something was mentioned in passing (and didn't seem to be earlier in the text). Mainly, though, taking points off for the fact that the actual exam is much more difficult than the examples or the practice tests on the accompanying disk - they will lure you into a false sense of security!
Loretta
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me 3 months to plow through this pretty big book. I typed up a lot of organized notes using OneNote as well. Overall, it was worth it! I came in a novice and finished feeling more grounded in the material. I'll continue on to other training material in preparation for certification but this was a great introductory book for me. It's extremely detailed - at times convoluted. I appreciate the large amount of examples and additional practice material at the end of every chapter.
Mohammad Elsheimy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: databases
Excellent for exam preparation, however, there are a few things to mention:
1. The order of chapters is somewhat strange! For instance, I don't know why somone reads about Full-Text and XML support before DML!
2. The writer didn't mark lots of differences between ANSI SQL and TSQL (although he did in first chapters).
3. More real-world examples are required especially in optimization lessons.
Quinton Baran
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I completed a portion of this book, and it helped me to write better SQL queries, and to understand the structure and reasoning of SQL server processing.
William Decker
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent overview book for learning how to use T-SQL. You are going to learn a broad range of topics that corresponds to what is on the 70-461 exam, but it is not a test prep a la an SAT prep book where types of questions and test taking strategies are discussed.

I have read reviews complaining that the practice test that comes with the book is way too easy compared to actual exam questions, but I don't think this book should be considered as an exam prep book.

Now as for the book review, some
Tim
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
There is no nice way to put it--the book is awful. The parts written by Ben-Gan are great, thorough, and clear, but they are few, taken nearly verbatim from his other books, and deal only with the basic stuff. As soon as the book moves on to more advanced topics, it completely falls apart. The writing is choppy, the examples are either too primitive or too complicated (with no sufficient explanation), and the questions at the end of each chapter are a complete joke, rephrasing random paragraphs ...more
Vera VB
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: workrelated
I hope this book, together with T-SQL fundamentals, will get me through the exam. There are a lot of simularities with T-SQL fundamentals, also written by Itzik Ben-Gan. This one has some extra chapters about XML, error handling, performance and indexes. I'm preparing for the upgrade exam 70-457 but I except this book will cover the basics that I need. The book contains examples, tests and cases to work on. It's not something you read in a few days, do it in chunks and then you get there.
Chris
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book presented a decent overview of the structure, considerations, mechanics, and performance tuning of queries in SQL Server 2012. I'm reading for information and not planning to actually pursue certification, so I found the coverage adequate. I'm not sure how well the book prepares one for the test.
Geoffrey Humphreys
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Has a few errors... a bit wordy in places... needs more DCL coverage... reads like a medical textbook... taking the test next Wednesday.
Maryam Al-sharief
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is very useful.. It helped me in my SQL learning and also enabled me to pass the exam. Excellent book.
Fsdfsd
Jul 28, 2013 added it
dsfsdf
Cosmic Hero
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Helped me pass the exam but still not the greatest.
Anton Spirin
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well-structured and easy to read book. For those who want to understand the basic principles of working with databases in MS SQL Server.
Rofiqul

• Furrow
  • Wish You Were Here: Travels Through Loss and Hope
  • Stink-O-Pedia: Super Stink-Y Stuff From A to Zzzzz
  • Toppling
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • Split! Splat!
  • How to Think Like a Neandertal
  • Alien on a Rampage (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #2)
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
  • Picture a Tree
  • The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament
  • Zebrafish
  • Every Body Matters: Strengthening Your Body to Strengthen Your Soul
  • I'm Here
  • Good Night, I Love You
  • The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling
  • Alienation (C.H.A.O.S., #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Itzik Ben-Gan is a Mentor and Co-Founder of SolidQ. A SQL Server Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) since 1999, Itzik has delivered numerous training events around the world focused on T-SQL Querying, Query Tuning and Programming. Itzik is the author of several books including Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL Using Window Functions and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundam ...more